Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161366 times)

Offline Unlegit

Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1610 on: August 06, 2013, 05:32:58 PM »
Alright song, but it is not one of my favorites from Van Halen and not even that high up on the debut.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1611 on: August 06, 2013, 07:01:24 PM »
Van Halen - Ain't Talkin' 'Bout Love

ick
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1612 on: August 06, 2013, 10:23:44 PM »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1613 on: August 06, 2013, 10:26:52 PM »
VH does nothing for me
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1614 on: August 06, 2013, 10:28:33 PM »
Seriously?  They came over and mowed my lawn the other day.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1615 on: August 07, 2013, 09:11:35 AM »
The Rolling Stones - Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)

The Rolling Stones are one of those bands that has a lot of songs I can say I like, but only a handful or two of songs I would say I really like or love; Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker) is one of those songs.  That intro is totally badass, and the song overall has that kind of dirty rock feel that makes it very inviting and memorable. 

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1616 on: August 07, 2013, 09:25:02 AM »
I'd say it merits pretty good status

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1617 on: August 07, 2013, 09:40:46 AM »

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1618 on: August 07, 2013, 09:45:26 AM »
Actually, it's "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)".  The background vocals in the chorus go "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo" (five "doos").

Details are important.

Also, great song.  I'm not a huge Stones fan, and I think this is still the only album of theirs that I have, and probably always will be.  But I like this one.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1619 on: August 07, 2013, 11:21:37 AM »
It's not bad, but probably one of my least favorites from the Stones.  I'd describe it as slightly better than 'meh'.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1620 on: August 07, 2013, 12:06:43 PM »
Actually, it's "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)".  The background vocals in the chorus go "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo" (five "doos").

Details are important.

Oops. :facepalm: :lol

Offline Lolzeez

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1621 on: August 07, 2013, 12:58:21 PM »
Meh.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1622 on: August 07, 2013, 12:59:38 PM »

Details are important.

Oops. :facepalm: :lol

It's okay, I'm pretty anal about it.  But I've noticed that you've been very careful about getting titles exactly correct thus far.  There've been a few times that I was going to correct you, only to discover that you were right and I was wrong.  I'm pretty sure about this one, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1623 on: August 08, 2013, 08:16:55 AM »
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage

I am not sure how many Zappa songs really got radio airplay back in the 70s, but I remember hearing Joe's Garage here and there on the radio in the early 90s when I first became aware of the existence of the man called Frank Zappa.  I admittedly didn't really get around to checking out Zappa until maybe the mid 00s or so, but I do remember thinking this song was kind of cool when I first heard it.  Of course, I love it now.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1624 on: August 08, 2013, 08:38:57 AM »
This will be no surprise but, yea, I love Joe's Garage!  ...bend the string like reentoo-teentoo-teentoo-teenoo-neenoo-neenoo-neeee. Can't argue with brilliance.
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1625 on: August 08, 2013, 09:53:36 AM »
I guess I shouldn't be so surprised that "Joe's Garage" got airplay on actual FM stations, but I am.  Even though I'd been introduced to Frank years earlier (via One Size Fits All, as discussed recently in the Zappa thread), my first Zappa album was actually Sheik Yerbouti, and Joe's Garage, Volume One was basically the follow-up.  There were tracks on all of those albums which clearly could never be played on the radio, but "Joe's Garage" is relatively tame.  Kinda catchy, too.

Offline Mosh

• For I have dined on honeydew!
« Reply #1626 on: August 08, 2013, 09:57:27 AM »
I actually don't care for that one, honestly. The whole Joe's Garage album is very hit or miss for me, with some stuff I really like (Watermelon In Easter Hay, Token Of My Extreme, Catholic Girls) and then there's stuff like this one that doesn't do anything for me.
New Animal Soup scifi space opera for fans of Porcupine Tree, Mastodon, Iron Maiden: Chariots of the Gods

https://animalsoup.bandcamp.com/album/chariots-of-the-gods

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1627 on: August 09, 2013, 09:23:14 AM »
Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

My favorite Fleetwood Mac song.  Granted, I am not a huge fan of theirs or anything, and they probably only have 8-10 songs I would say I love (while many others would fall under "like"), but this song is just so dang awesome.  I am admittedly partial to the live version from The Dance, but either version is just tremendous.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1628 on: August 09, 2013, 09:31:27 AM »
I like this one.  I loved Stevie's voice before she destroyed it, and the harmonies here are really great.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1629 on: August 09, 2013, 04:10:42 PM »
My second favorite Fleetwood Mac song (the top honors go to Go Your Own Way), but yeah, great tune

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1630 on: August 10, 2013, 02:33:03 PM »
Frank Zappa - Joe's Garage

:heart :heart :heart

Fleetwood Mac - Dreams

Good Stevie song, but I was always more of a Christine McVie fan.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1631 on: August 11, 2013, 09:38:31 AM »
Thin Lizzy - The Boys Are Back in Town

Good, solid rock tune.  Not much more I can add other than that.

Offline JayOctavarium

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1632 on: August 11, 2013, 09:57:31 AM »
Love it

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1633 on: August 11, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »
As a sneak preview of my eventual top 50 list (coming to a message board near you sometime later...I dunno, this year?  :lol) I will tell you that Thin Lizzy's Jailbreak currently resides at number three on the list. It's my third favorite album ever. And one of the reasons why it's my third favorite album ever is that, as timeless and awesome a song The Boys Are Back In Town is...it's my fourth favorite song on Jailbreak. That's how good an album that is, that's why Thin Lizzy's one of my favorite bands of all time, and that's why anytime The Boys Are Back In Town comes on the radio, I crank it the hell up and sing along with it. Because when the fourth best song on an album is this awesome, you're talking about a pretty damn good band. I love Thin Lizzy to death.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1634 on: August 11, 2013, 10:42:02 AM »
I've always thought that this was a solid, catchy song.  Well-written, good sound, and there are other Thin Lizzy songs with the same characteristics... yet somehow I've never been inspired to dig into them.  They just seem like a somewhat better-than-average rock band.  Which is fine.  They just have never gotten me that excited.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1635 on: August 11, 2013, 04:03:12 PM »
Very good and catchy song. Love Thin Lizzy!

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1636 on: August 11, 2013, 05:38:57 PM »
I love playing this song back-to-back with Trooper's The Boys in the Bright White Sports Car.  I always picture the "boys" coming back into town in a suped up GTO or Mustang or something like that.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1637 on: August 14, 2013, 09:13:02 AM »
The Cars - Good Times Roll

Good tune.  Pretty basic, and nothing really fancy about it, but it's just a good, catchy tune.  Sometimes, that's good enough. :coolio

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1638 on: August 14, 2013, 09:21:52 AM »
I used this song title as a catchphrase for a Business Plan I had to write in 2nd year university.  It was for a pool hall/gaming establishment - Diamond Gold Billiards... let the good times roll.  Totally made up everything in the business plan - the research, the marketing aspects, forecasts, investments... everything was BS.  Got a B+ for my efforts.

My stories suck.

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1639 on: August 14, 2013, 09:25:06 AM »
A terrific background soundtrack for keggers. That is the instant fond feeling I have for this song. Also, one of the local bands who played weekends at the neighborhood pub played a lot of Cars songs, so all their songs tend to invoke memories of young ladies, dressed to kill, dancing their asses off. *sigh*
"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1640 on: August 14, 2013, 10:08:36 AM »
I love that first album by The Cars.  Even though I usually skip tracks 4 and 5, the first three are rock solid, and that whole second side is awesome.

"Good Times Roll" is about as perfect a debut song for this band as there can be.  It basically sums up with the band is all about.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1641 on: August 14, 2013, 11:59:28 PM »
The Cars - Good Times Roll

Except for Don't Cha Stop, you really can't go wrong with anything from their debut.  REALLY good album.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1642 on: August 15, 2013, 09:18:47 AM »
"Don't Cha Stop" doesn't work for me, but I also skip "I'm in Touch with Your World".  It just seems to plod along and not really go anywhere.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1643 on: August 15, 2013, 10:55:05 AM »
In honor of Allen Lanier...

Blue ึyster Cult - Burnin' for You

Good song.  My least favorite of the three B.O.C. major classic rock staples, and they have tons of deeper cuts that are far better, but still a good tune. 

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1644 on: August 15, 2013, 11:02:46 AM »
I remember when I first heard it I thought, "Oh, BOC doing a straight forward rocker. Cool!" After a few weeks of hearing it 3 times a day (I listened to the radio a lot in those days) I thought, "No wonder they've always done unusual music!" :) Seriously though, I still like this song. Especially now that I only hear it infrequently.

I once heard a caller dedicate this song to his new bride on the radio. The DJ said, "Have you listed to the words, Man? It's your funeral."  :lol