Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160763 times)

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1505 on: July 21, 2013, 11:40:58 AM »
great song.  unlike a lot of Steve Miller stuff.  Abracadabra??  come on.  but this song is unique and enjoyable.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #1506 on: July 21, 2013, 12:36:59 PM »
great song.  unlike a lot of Steve Miller stuff.  Abracadabra??  come on.  but this song is unique and enjoyable.

"I wanna reach out and grabya"     :rollin

Special place in my heart for "The Joker", tho...    :hat   He is the Pompatus of Love!
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1507 on: July 21, 2013, 03:06:23 PM »
To me, there is no song that symbolizes more the sound of the synthesizer in the 70s more than Fly Like An Eagle. Simply because, at my young age at the time, with no exposure to prog rock, it was the first time I really heard a synthesizer, and the sounds on this song really did feel like time slipping into the future. Oh yeah, nowadays it sounds dated and cheesy, and there are a lot better synth sounds from even earlier in the decade, but Fly Like An Eagle sounded like it was coming from another decade back then.

Not to be too pedantic, but "Fly Like an Eagle", the song, doesn't have any synths.  That's a Hammond B-3 with a Roland Space Echo.  "Wild Mountain Honey" has some synth, maybe a few others, but he saved most of the synthy tracks for Book of Dreams.  Both albums came from the same sessions, and Steve wanted there to be something of a progression to them.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1508 on: July 22, 2013, 08:58:14 AM »
Hey I was 10 when that song came out, I barely knew what keyboards were  :biggrin:
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1509 on: July 22, 2013, 10:25:10 AM »
Enough of your lame excuses!  I was 13 and also barely knew what keyboards were.  :biggrin:

Actually, I thought it was a synth at first too, but I bought the album and read the credits.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1510 on: July 22, 2013, 12:19:56 PM »
Bad Company - Feel Like Makin' Love

This song is wildly popular, possibly their most loved song, but I was never that wild about it.  The verses are nice, but the chorus doesn't do a lot for me and it repeating over and over and over for nearly the last two minutes of the song really doesn't help its cause.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1511 on: July 22, 2013, 12:24:08 PM »
Bad Company - Feel Like Makin' Love

This song is wildly popular, possibly their most loved song, but I was never that wild about it.  The verses are nice, but the chorus doesn't do a lot for me and it repeating over and over and over for nearly the last two minutes of the song really doesn't help its cause.

How I feel about Simon and Garfunkel's The Boxer.
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1512 on: July 22, 2013, 12:27:28 PM »
This song aggravates me.  I feel like the target audience for this song has an IQ of 75.  It 'feels' like one of the stupidest songs that gets played on rock radio.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1513 on: July 22, 2013, 12:46:28 PM »
This song aggravates me.  I feel like the target audience for this song has an IQ of 75.  It 'feels' like one of the stupidest songs that gets played on rock radio.

While it is a simple and repetitive song, that feels like a bit of an elitist attitude. No offense intended at all, I just couldn't think of any better way to word that! Sorry.

I like the song. Far from a favourite by any stretch, but it's inoffensive enough to my ears.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1514 on: July 22, 2013, 05:12:13 PM »
Bit more partial to Can't Get Enough Of Your Love

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1515 on: July 22, 2013, 05:27:31 PM »
In all seriousness, when I had my IQ tested last, the result was a 140. Which means either I'm pretty smart or I can fake my way through a standardized IQ test.  :lol

I love Feel Like Makin' Love and could give two fucks less how "simple" it is.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1516 on: July 22, 2013, 05:46:50 PM »
In all seriousness, when I had my IQ tested last, the result was a 140. Which means either I'm pretty smart or I can fake my way through a standardized IQ test.  :lol

I love Feel Like Makin' Love and could give two fucks less how "simple" it is.

:lol

I just got tired of hearing it a million times on the radio.  Give me Rock N Roll Fantasy any day.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1517 on: July 22, 2013, 05:50:56 PM »
Oh yeah, it IS overplayed. It was overplayed when Bad Company hadn't had their first break up.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1518 on: July 23, 2013, 04:57:42 AM »
Too slow paced; too repetitive; and the riff isn't all that good.  It's a standard Bad Company tune, but it rather bland for my tastes.  I'll take pretty much any other Bad Company tune over this one.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1519 on: July 23, 2013, 08:00:00 AM »
Bad Company has some okay songs, but overall they just never really excite me.  Paul Rodgers has a good voice, but I've never understood the worship he gets.  He's not phenomenal or anything.  Of the few Bad Company songs I'm familiar with, this one's probably one of my least favorite, although that's really not saying much.  They're just kind of... there.

Offline Lucien

• James 5:1-5
« Reply #1520 on: July 23, 2013, 08:01:49 AM »
Bad Company has some okay songs, but overall they just never really excite me.  Paul Rodgers has a good voice, but I've never understood the worship he gets.  He's not phenomenal or anything.  Of the few Bad Company songs I'm familiar with, this one's probably one of my least favorite, although that's really not saying much.  They're just kind of... there.

And just think how that was the kind of band the record companies wanted Rush to turn into :puke:
"Kind of a stupid game, isn't it?" - Calvin

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1521 on: July 23, 2013, 08:14:10 AM »
Disgusting.  I think I may have read that somewhere, but I'd stricken it from my memory.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1522 on: July 23, 2013, 08:33:59 AM »
The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn!

Fantastic song, one that is very symbolic of the 1960s.  In fact, every time I hear this song, I always think of Forrest Gump and the first episode of The Wonder Years. 

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1523 on: July 23, 2013, 08:45:27 AM »
The Byrds - Turn! Turn! Turn!

Fantastic song, one that is very symbolic of the 1960s.  In fact, every time I hear this song, I always think of Forrest Gump and the first episode of The Wonder Years.

Ditto!  Wasn't it on the Good Morning Vietnam soundtrack as well?
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1524 on: July 23, 2013, 09:07:29 AM »
One of those songs that is so over used in period pieces, you forget that once upon a time, they WEREN'T, and they're legitimately amazing songs. Sometimes I think there were only like five songs available to people to listen to in the late 60s and early 70s thanks to movies.  :lol

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1525 on: July 23, 2013, 09:58:09 AM »
Man, I'm so glad I don't watch tons of movies like some people.  For a lot of these songs, one of the first things mentioned, if not the first thing mentioned, is that you can't hear the song without thinking of some movie or TV show.  That's so sad.  I always think of the music, the song, where I was when I first heard it, the people I was with, what I was doing at the time.

The Byrds are the 60's.  A simpler time, a time when you could take a passage from The Bible, set it to music, and have a hit on the radio.  The words are simple and inspiring, and have a ring of truth that everyone feels when they hear them.  To have a beautiful song like this inextricably associated with something as mundane as a movie is just sad.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1526 on: July 23, 2013, 10:00:08 AM »
Great song by a fantastic band. I'm a big fan of the Byrds (at least up until they became country rock in 1968...).
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline sueño

« Reply #1527 on: July 23, 2013, 10:05:29 AM »
Man, I'm so glad I don't watch tons of movies like some people.  For a lot of these songs, one of the first things mentioned, if not the first thing mentioned, is that you can't hear the song without thinking of some movie or TV show.  That's so sad.  I always think of the music, the song, where I was when I first heard it, the people I was with, what I was doing at the time.

The Byrds are the 60's.  A simpler time, a time when you could take a passage from The Bible, set it to music, and have a hit on the radio.  The words are simple and inspiring, and have a ring of truth that everyone feels when they hear them.  To have a beautiful song like this inextricably associated with something as mundane as a movie is just sad.

I agree, though to be fair, having these 60s/70s songs incorporated into movies or TV shows (especially if they're quality) does help expose new generations to the music.

Folks would have to be as old as WE are  :omg: to have heard them fresh on the radio.  And we're old enough to be grandparents.   :'(

Maybe a similar thing would be my being inspired to look into more Duke Ellington after seeing/hearing his work on "Anatomy of a Murder".  I was *aware* of him as a younger person but it wasn't 'til I saw that film on a Saturday afternoon that I really wanted to get more.

Of course, Duke hasn't become as trite as some of the overuse of 60s/70s tunes, but...you get the point.  :)
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1528 on: July 23, 2013, 10:12:08 AM »
Yeah, point taken.  I guess overall it's a good thing that people are being exposed to the music.  That's what counts.

This weekend, I'll be playing at a music festival, and we're gonna do (among other things) "Won't Get Fooled Again" by The Who.  Hell of a hard song to play.  But I'm mentally preparing myself for the first time someone refers to it as "the CSI song" or some shit, so I don't smash them in the face.  It's not the fucking CSI song!

Offline sueño

« Reply #1529 on: July 23, 2013, 10:15:38 AM »
Right, Pops!   ;)    :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1530 on: July 23, 2013, 11:33:31 AM »

While I don't think all movies are necessarily mundane, the problem comes because Hollywood studios are, essentially, terribly conservative, and if it worked once, then it works always. Need to evoke a particular era? Movie X did it with a particular song? Use that song again. But wait, haven't the last ten movies set in that era used that song? Doesn't matter, do it again. That is why whenever I hear For What It's Worth, I'm always going to hear helicopters.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1531 on: July 23, 2013, 12:24:38 PM »
Not all movies are mundane, but I guess I just don't hold movies in the same general esteem that I do music.  Yeah, there's a lot of crappy music, too, but I manage to avoid most of it.  I love music.  Music is life.  Movies are just entertainment.

There have been movies, and especially certain scenes from movies, which were greatly enhanced by the proper song playing in the soundtrack.  What I'm talking about is all those people who say "I can't even listen to <some awesome song> without seeing that one scene from that one movie".  I really do think that that's sad.  The song is amazing by itself.  That you literally can't enjoy the song without some movie intruding on your memories of the song is, to me, a tragedy.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1532 on: July 23, 2013, 01:04:49 PM »
I cannot disagree more, Orbert.  It's all about context.  What if a particular song reminds you of a specific day in your life, like prom or your wedding day?  Is that a tragedy, because the song suddenly has context with a significant life event?

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1533 on: July 23, 2013, 02:18:12 PM »
Wait, I did say that I think of where I was, what I was doing, and who I was with when I heard the song.  I think music being associated with a significant life event falls under "music is life".  I don't see the contradiction.   ???

My problem is when a song becomes linked to a movie or a TV show.  That to me "lessens" the music.  I suppose if there's a particular movie that's really significant to you and hearing a song evokes good memories of watching that movie, then that's cool, but I'd still consider it a bad thing that you can no longer enjoy the song for what it is, if you literally always (as some people say) think of that scene from the movie every time you hear the song.  Or if a great song becomes a TV theme song and that's the first thing people think of.  Watching a TV show, hopefully, isn't significant on the same level as your prom or your wedding day.

And finally, I'm not sure how serious I was in the first place.  I mean, I do consider music to be the ultimate expression, certainly of a higher order than television, but you guys know that I'm pretty much just spouting shit half the time.  It's real, and I mean what I say, but not always with the degree of tenacity that might come across in text.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1534 on: July 24, 2013, 12:04:01 PM »
It's all good, man. :coolio

Steely Dan - Do It Again

There are not enough words for how much I love this song.  For as many good songs as Steely Dan has, to me, they never topped the first song from their first album.  Simply magnificent.

Offline sueño

« Reply #1535 on: July 24, 2013, 12:13:11 PM »

Steely Dan - Do It Again

There are not enough words for how much I love this song.  For as many good songs as Steely Dan has, to me, they never topped the first song from their first album.  Simply magnificent.

oh, *faint* -- I LOVE LOVE "Do It Again"!!!  YES!    :millahhhh

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1536 on: July 24, 2013, 12:20:52 PM »
Great song, cool vibe.   :coolio

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1537 on: July 24, 2013, 01:05:23 PM »
great groove.  great driving music.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1538 on: July 24, 2013, 01:43:05 PM »
AWESOME song, definitely my favorite from Steely Dan.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1539 on: July 24, 2013, 02:07:11 PM »

Steely Dan - Do It Again

As my favorite Steely Dan song is the second song from this album, namely Dirty Work (it's a long story, let's just say the lyrics fit me and an ex all too well), I'll take exception to your notion...but Do It Again is a really really good song regardless.  :biggrin: