Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 161373 times)

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1260 on: June 10, 2013, 11:10:08 PM »

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1261 on: June 10, 2013, 11:16:16 PM »
Chicago - Saturday in the Park

I've always liked this song, even when I had my two decades-long refusal to check out the rest of their pre-1980s material, simply because I was so repulsed by the dreck they released for much of the 80s.  But this is undeniably a good song.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1262 on: June 10, 2013, 11:18:45 PM »
Um... it's much better than their 80s dreck, that's for daim sure. :lol

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1263 on: June 11, 2013, 04:28:03 AM »
So much win. Probably my favorite song of theirs

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1264 on: June 11, 2013, 06:34:45 AM »
Not a fan.

Stepping back to Godzilla for a moment, for those interested, here's an excellent cover of Godzilla by a band called Racer X.  The band consists of Scott Travis on drums (Judas Priest), John Alderete on bass (Mars Volta), and Paul Gilbert on guitar (Mr. Big) and Jeff Martin on vocals (one-time drummer for Badlands).  It starts out a little slow, but it picks up and kicks into the song proper around 1:00.  Also, a tip of the hat to David Bowie's "Fame" in the middle.  Enjoy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3u7IR0kUUg

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1265 on: June 11, 2013, 10:33:17 AM »
Chicago - Saturday in the Park

I've always liked this song, even when I had my two decades-long refusal to check out the rest of their pre-1980s material, simply because I was so repulsed by the dreck they released for much of the 80s.  But this is undeniably a good song.

Great song by one of my favorite bands.  I love those piano chords.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1266 on: June 12, 2013, 07:38:24 AM »
Amboy Dukes - Journey to the Center of the Mind

Great song, featuring some bad ass vocal harmonies, a wicked galloping rhythm and outstanding lead guitar playing by a then-very young Ted Nugent (he was 20 at the time of its release).  I have a hunch a lot of people don't know this song, or they don't know they know it, but this is a great classic tune.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1267 on: June 12, 2013, 08:29:04 AM »
Yep, I always liked this one.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1268 on: June 12, 2013, 12:28:57 PM »
I've always loved how Nugent, after he left the Amboy Dukes, played the "I SWEAR I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS ABOUT DRUGS" card about this song.

Well, maybe he didn't, he might have been too busy banging jailbait groupies to notice.  :rollin
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1269 on: June 12, 2013, 08:47:32 PM »
I've always loved how Nugent, after he left the Amboy Dukes, played the "I SWEAR I DIDN'T KNOW IT WAS ABOUT DRUGS" card about this song.

Well, maybe he didn't, he might have been too busy banging jailbait groupies to notice.  :rollin

Wouldn't surprise me.  I remember him being pretty outspoken about how he never did drugs.  He joked how everyone would be getting stoned or hammered after shows, and he'd leave with the prettiest girl and have some fun. :lol :tup :tup  That, of course, was a long time ago, when Nugent was an entertaining personality, as opposed to the nut job that he now is.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1270 on: June 13, 2013, 11:21:31 AM »
Journey - Feeling That Way & Anytime

I am doing these two songs together since they one of those pairs that have always been played together, so it only makes sense to feature them that way.  This is seven minutes of the best music this band has ever done.  And it was back when Gregg Rolie still did some lead vocals, so we get plenty of lead vocals here from both him and Steve Perry, which adds a cool dynamic to the song, having two different, and rather different, lead vocalists.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1271 on: June 13, 2013, 11:24:16 AM »
Aha! Finally some songs I know!

... And I apparently have nothing to say about them. Great songs, though.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1272 on: June 13, 2013, 11:36:54 AM »
Great pair of songs there.  I always liked the contrast between Gregg's voice and Steve's voice, and we get it on both songs.  I was bummed when Steve inevitably became the lead singer and Gregg bailed.  At least that's what I assumed happened.  This was pre-Internet, so all we knew is that the next album came out and Gregg wasn't on it, and I guess I never looked it up later because I don't actually care that much.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1273 on: June 13, 2013, 11:46:43 AM »
Journey - Feeling That Way & Anytime

Everything

Couldn't have said it better myself. Never got too much in to Journey beyond the radio hits, but these are songs I could see myself coming back to and enjoying just as much 50 years from now.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1274 on: June 13, 2013, 11:47:20 AM »
I enjoy Feeling That Way a lot more than Anytime, which is a fairly low-range song on the album. Feeling That Way is great, but still kinda mid-range on the album too.
And I don't particularly like Rolie's vocals, especially with having a better vocalist in the band. The back and forth was hit and miss for me, and Anytime was one of those times I wish it was just Perry. Feeling That Way was much more successful in that regard.

And I HATE the way they run close together. It doesn't flow at all, and they're not part of the same song. One song ends a cappella, and the next one starts the same way, and it just sounds off. It's bugged me every single time since the first time I heard the album. I actually usually pause inbetween the tracks so it doesn't sound so awkward.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1275 on: June 13, 2013, 11:51:02 AM »
I agree that Feelin' That Way is the much better song, but I think I have been indoctrinated by classic rock radio to always listen to them together, so I cannot imagine them apart.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1276 on: June 13, 2013, 11:52:00 AM »
I can't think of these songs as being two songs, even though they obviously are, though I don't think the transition is as awkward as others do. Perhaps because I'm so used to it. Good songs, though it's been an age since I heard anything but Wheel In The Sky off this album on the radio.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1277 on: June 13, 2013, 12:07:46 PM »
The worst thing was when the did the exact same "a capella segue trick" with "Lovin', Touchin', Squeezin'" and "City of the Angels".  That one was just awkward, and we just laughed because it was so obvious that they just wanted to do the same thing again.  I thought the original segue was "Feeling that Way" to "Anytime" was pretty cool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1278 on: June 14, 2013, 09:30:50 AM »
REO Speedwagon - Roll with the Changes

Unlike other "popular with girls" rock bands - like Journey, Styx, etc. - whenever this band went soft, it was almost always wretched, but when they rocked, it was often good, this song being a good example.  This band really doesn't have a lot of songs that I can say I really like, but this is one of them.  I like the extended ending quite a bit.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1279 on: June 14, 2013, 09:35:51 AM »
This was the song that broke them...in Charleston, West Virginia.  :lol

I've mentioned it before, even in this thread, but waaaay back when, REO Speedwagon was a band that could sell out Charleston, WVA, and yet a mere state away, they were functionally a new band when Hi Infidelity broke big a few years later. I moved from West Virginia to Virginia, and was shocked to find that no one had heard of REO Speedwagon when they broke nationally. I miss 70s regional rock scenes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1280 on: June 15, 2013, 11:47:33 AM »
Yep, it is crazy how certain songs were huge in some areas and completely unknown in others.  And I thought more people would know that one, but oh well.  Carrying on...

The Hollies - Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress

I have to chalk this up to being one of those songs I have heard many times, but never paid much attention to.  I have no great like or dislike for it; indifferent is probably the best word to describe my feelings for it.  Definitely a classic, though.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1281 on: June 15, 2013, 01:49:59 PM »
A long time ago, when Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young were around, all four of them, I got into a discussion with somebody about how these four guys had all gotten together.  I knew that Crosby and Nash had worked together, and also Stills and Young.  I mentioned Stills and Young first, and the guy I was talking to said "Yeah, they were in Buffalo Springfield together".  I knew Stephen Stills was in Buffalo Springfield, but not Neil Young.  But the guy seemed to know what he was talking about, and it did check out later.

And I mentioned Crosby and Nash, and he said they were both in The Hollies.  I knew that Graham Nash was in The Hollies, but not David Crosby, but again, since the guy seemed to know his stuff, I didn't question.  Whenever I heard "Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress" on the radio, I assumed that that was David Crosby singing.  It sounds like it could be a very young Crosby, with lots of echo or reverb or whatever that is.

But I had been led astray.  David Crosby was never in The Hollies, and that's not him singing this song.

TLDR version: David Crosby was never in The Hollies, and that's not him singing this song.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1282 on: June 15, 2013, 03:59:16 PM »
No, Crosby was in the Byrds. Anyway, this is an enjoyable song. Definitely different from some of their other stuff. Both this song and Air That I Breathe sound like a different group than the one that did Bus Stop

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1283 on: June 15, 2013, 04:54:05 PM »

This is an absolutely kickin' song.  Yeah I've never heard anything from REO that wasn't on the radio so I don't know most of their catalog, but my impression is:  most of it is too soft and girly, but then this song comes on and reminds you that they could write an awesome rock song.  It has such a positive vibe to it too, it is very enjoyable.
The Hollies - Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress

The intro to this song is one of the absolute best in rock history.  The main groove is great. The song doesn't reach super high heights, but I always enjoy listening to it.  I never really paid attention to the lyrics, but I love how he sings it.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1284 on: June 16, 2013, 11:45:38 AM »
TLDR version: David Crosby was never in The Hollies, and that's not him singing this song.

Haha, nice little story. :coolio

This is an absolutely kickin' song.  Yeah I've never heard anything from REO that wasn't on the radio so I don't know most of their catalog, but my impression is:  most of it is too soft and girly, but then this song comes on and reminds you that they could write an awesome rock song.  It has such a positive vibe to it too, it is very enjoyable.

Yep, they could definitely kick ass with the rock when they really wanted to, but they definitely realized that going with the ballads was the way to big time success, and they milked it.  Fortunately, songs like Roll with the Changes still exist.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1285 on: June 16, 2013, 11:50:55 PM »
Triumph - Magic Power

Triumph is another one of those classic rock bands that is mostly well-known for their four classic rock radio mainstays, but they have dozens of great songs.  That aside, as this is not the time to go off on that tangent, Magic Power is a great song, and one of those aforementioned mainstays.  If you have ever listened to classic rock radio, you know this song.  It is catchy and rocking, while having a ton of staying power, all at the same time.  Great song by a great band! :coolio

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1286 on: June 17, 2013, 07:43:25 AM »
Enjoy all songs from Triumph and I feel they deserve more recognition for their career. This is a classic from them.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1287 on: June 17, 2013, 06:00:54 PM »
inb4 RJ.

Top 100 song of all time for me.  Triumph is criminally under-rated.  They weren't in the 80s, but after Rik left, they just kinda fell apart.  Edge of Excess was a pretty decent album, and I always did like Gil on the mic.  This was the first song I ever called into a radio station and requested to be played.  I'd had a rotten day, so I hoped the DJ was gonna play my favorite song.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1288 on: June 18, 2013, 05:02:22 AM »
It's a cool song indeed

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1289 on: June 18, 2013, 07:53:16 AM »
Love Triumph, love Allied Forces, love Magic Power. Pretty succinct.  :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1290 on: June 18, 2013, 08:33:10 AM »
Dan Fogelberg - Phoenix

I had never heard this song till a few years ago, but a friend played it for me, and I thought it was great.  It apparently was a mainstay on the radio here a long time ago, but seems to have become a forgotten classic.  Anyway, again, great song.  I don't know many songs by him, but this one sure is a major winner.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1291 on: June 18, 2013, 10:18:59 AM »
Fogelberg was good, had a great sound, but he seemed to have a somewhat limited range.  I guess that's a nice way of saying that a lot of his songs sound the same.  But this was a good one.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1292 on: June 18, 2013, 10:21:36 AM »
Not a song I am familiar with.  But anytime I hear his name, I can't help but think of this:

Offline Podaar

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1293 on: June 18, 2013, 12:06:58 PM »
I like this song quite a lot and I think Dan is great. Which also reminds me of a story.

When Mrs. Podaar and I were dating we went to visit some friends of hers (to ostensibly get their approval I assume) and when we entered their living room I saw no less than 12 framed prints of those new age portraits of Jesus on the wall...you know the kind I'm talking about. I was introduced to the couple and we shook hands. I looked around, nodded at the wall and said, "You have a lovely home... You must really like Dan Fogelberg!"

That earned me an elbow from Mrs. Podaar.

"Owners of dogs will have noticed that, if you provide them with food and water and shelter and affection, they will think you are God. Whereas owners of cats are compelled to realize that, if you provide them with food and water and affection, they draw the conclusion that they are God.” — Christopher Hitchens

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1294 on: June 18, 2013, 12:13:45 PM »
Dude...

:lol :lol :lol