Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160783 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #1120 on: May 19, 2013, 05:59:46 PM »
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1122 on: May 19, 2013, 07:38:53 PM »
 :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1123 on: May 20, 2013, 08:38:04 AM »
Focus - Hocus Pocus

I can still remember being blown to shreds the first time I heard this song.  Everything about it was so awesome: that riff, the yodeling. the whistling, the accordion, the flute, everything. I still think the song rules almost as much as any rock song from the 70s that was played on the radio.  This is a  :hefdaddy :hefdaddy song in every way imaginable.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1124 on: May 20, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
That song is so batshit insane it shouldn't work, and yet it kicks ass up one side and down the other. It's kind of a shame that, if you know Focus for anything, it's that one song-they did a ton of albums with a lot of kick ass material on them.  :metal
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1125 on: May 20, 2013, 10:13:11 AM »
Focus were awesome.  "Hocus Pocus" is a pretty unusual song for them; it's not like every song of theirs rocks out and has yodeling.  They were really more of a jazz/fusion group for most of their run.  Great stuff, though.

I like "Hocus Pocus" but the long version is actually a bit too long for me, and I rarely say that about a song I like.  They keep coming back and repeating sections just a few more times than necessary.  Yeah, the yodeling is cool.  Then it comes back.  Then it comes back again.  The guitar riff is cool, then it comes back, then it comes again...

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1126 on: May 20, 2013, 12:22:24 PM »
That song is so batshit insane it shouldn't work, and yet it kicks ass up one side and down the other.

Pretty much this, yeah.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1128 on: May 20, 2013, 01:16:15 PM »
That song is so batshit insane it shouldn't work, and yet it kicks ass up one side and down the other.

I have never heard another song of theirs.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ColdFireYYZ

« Reply #1129 on: May 20, 2013, 01:19:34 PM »
I love Hocus Pocus. I have two of their albums, Hamburger Concerto and Moving Waves. Both are awesome and essential prog albums, imo.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1130 on: May 20, 2013, 11:08:52 PM »
In honor of the passing of Ray Manzarek...

The Doors - Riders on the Storm

Ironically, it is raining pretty good here in St. Louis right now, so this really is the perfect time for me to feature this song.  This is a song I loved immediately when I first heard it back in the early 90s, and while I don't listen to it that much anymore, whenever I do, it still sounds as incredible as ever.  Unbelievable atmosphere in this song. :hefdaddy :hefdaddy

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1131 on: May 21, 2013, 03:58:40 AM »
There's a killer on the road
His brain is squirming like a toad

Just two of the MANY lines that spoke to me when I first heard this - I was much younger, of course.  But - this is, without a doubt, my favorite Doors song of all time.

RIP Ray... you will be missed. :'(

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1132 on: May 21, 2013, 10:53:53 AM »
What still amazes me about that song is how Ray plays that descending line against the sounds of rain at around 30 seconds and the shimmering tone and the way the notes ring out over each other has always (for me) represented what rain would sound like if you tried to reproduce its sound via a musical instrument.

That was a bit of a wonky description, but I couldn't think of a better way to word it.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1133 on: May 21, 2013, 10:58:29 AM »
I know exactly what you mean.  I saw a band cover "Riders on the Storm" one time, and the keyboard player did it perfectly.  It was great.  Also, it was only a two-piece band.  The one guy played keys (including keyboard bass a la Manzarek) and sang, the other guy played drums and did some backgrounds.  They made a lot of music for just two guys.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1134 on: May 21, 2013, 11:33:18 AM »
Not very high on my list of Doors tunes, but I think I just burned out on it, seems like it gets heavy rotation on the classic rock station I always listened to. Great song though.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1135 on: May 21, 2013, 07:31:29 PM »
What still amazes me about that song is how Ray plays that descending line against the sounds of rain at around 30 seconds and the shimmering tone and the way the notes ring out over each other has always (for me) represented what rain would sound like if you tried to reproduce its sound via a musical instrument.

That was a bit of a wonky description, but I couldn't think of a better way to word it.

No, that was a PERFECT way to describe it. :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1136 on: May 21, 2013, 07:46:14 PM »
Yep, I agree, too. Perfect way to put it, Cozmo. :tup :tup

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1137 on: May 22, 2013, 08:44:50 AM »
Free - All Right Now

Free is basically known for two things: 1) Being Paul Rodgers first band, and 2) this song.  A classic rock staple, it is interesting to note that it was actually a pretty big hit on the pop charts back in 1970, going all the way to number 4.  I like the song; it's a good, solid tune.  :coolio

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1138 on: May 22, 2013, 08:58:22 AM »
For every band I've been in that does any kind of classic rock, I pretty much made the band learn this song.  It is must be in the set somewhere.  Everybody loves this song, and it will always get women on the dance floor.  Despite being a badass song in its own right, Rodger's vocals are excellent.  I love how he starts out a little subdued and by the end he's in full on "You can't deny how awesome I am" mode.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1139 on: May 22, 2013, 09:29:02 AM »
Riders on the Storm - one of my favorite Doors tunes

All Right Now might be a tad overplayed, but it's still a great song

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1140 on: May 22, 2013, 10:39:22 AM »
Did Free actually DO another song?  :lol I mean, yeah, I know they did, but wow, music history pretty much treats them as a band that put out this song, and apparently as a one sided single. Pretty much a requirement for a band that plays classic rock is knowing this song; I had some friends who had a cover band way back in the days of my adventures and this was one of their standards.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1141 on: May 22, 2013, 12:40:23 PM »
Did Free actually DO another song?

They did Mr. Big, the inspiration for the band of the same name (they covered the Free tune on the Bump Ahead album):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSkmK1RXWZs

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1142 on: May 23, 2013, 06:40:22 AM »
Well, that killed the thread pretty quickly.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #1143 on: May 23, 2013, 06:50:25 AM »
Wishing Well is another song that's fairly well known

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1144 on: May 23, 2013, 07:43:46 AM »
Oh yeah, I forgot about Wishing Well.  That got decent airplay around here, too.

Montrose - Bad Motor Scooter

Really cool song, one that got a ton of airplay here in St. Louis (like pretty much all things Sammy Hagar :lol).  I think, for some, this is Hagar's forgotten project, but it put him on the map in 1973.  Anyway, the slide guitar doing the motorcycle noise thing, played by Ronnie Montrose, is pretty neat. 

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1145 on: May 23, 2013, 07:47:58 AM »
Great tune.  Excellent guitar work all over it and a really great vocal.  This was a karaoke staple for me on Thirsty Thursdays.  :thursday:

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1146 on: May 23, 2013, 08:06:29 AM »
I forgot about Wishing Well, too.  I was even in a band that played that song, although I don't remember if I even knew that it was Free, since I'd never actually heard the song before.

Bad Motor Scooter is great.  I don't consider this Hagar's forgotten project; I consider it Ronnie's first album.  Hagar was just the singer.  Ronnie Montrose went on to do some really cool stuff, some of it rather proggy.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1147 on: May 23, 2013, 10:13:16 AM »
Montrose, as far as I can recall, never got much airplay around these parts, which is a shame, because people here missed out on one of the best hard rock albums ever. Oddly enough, Montrose's next band project, Gamma, did get a lot of airplay around here, despite being nowhere near as good or enduring creatively. I'm starting to wonder what the local program directors were on back then.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1148 on: May 23, 2013, 10:01:52 PM »
Free - All Right Now

Overplayed, but so what? :metal

Montrose - Bad Motor Scooter

:metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1149 on: May 24, 2013, 09:38:43 AM »
Eagles - Life in the Fast Lane

This is one of those songs that I've always thought was pretty good, but not nearly good enough to warrant the constant play it got on classic rock radio.  There are a bunch of Eagles songs I find to be much better, yet this is probably their 2nd or 3rd most played song on the radio.  In fact, my best association with this song is it being played by the band at the dance near the end of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #1150 on: May 24, 2013, 10:02:09 AM »
In fact, my best association with this song is it being played by the band at the dance near the end of Fast Times at Ridgemont High. :lol

Fun fact:  The band was called "Reeves Nevo and the Cinch".

Offline nicmos

• Having said that...
« Reply #1151 on: May 24, 2013, 10:27:48 AM »
Not an awesome song, but you have to admit it is one of the catchiest.  Everything about it is catchy.

It gets overplayed on the local station here.  But hearing it once in a while is enjoyable.

Oh, I would probably like it even more if Glen sang it instead of Don.  oh well.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1152 on: May 24, 2013, 10:46:35 AM »
It gets near endless airplay because it popularized the phrase that is the title, but it isn't even one of the top songs on Hotel California, let alone their career. It is catchy as all hell though, I'll give it that.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1153 on: May 25, 2013, 10:29:32 AM »
Eric Clapton - Cocaine

I swear, back in the early to mid 90s here in St. Louis, you couldn't go two hours without hearing this on classic rock radio; it was played non-stop for years.  I guess it's a good song, but me never being a big Clapton fan combined with the overplaying made hearing this song something that I didn't look forward to it.  Years later, it being a bit more fresh now, like I said before, it sounds like a pretty good song. but I would still never go out of my way to hear it or turn it on.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1154 on: May 25, 2013, 10:33:07 AM »
Great song to BLAST in the car!

One of my favourite memories during my teenage years = Driving up the coast to Santa Barbara with my mom and blasting this (along side a couple Zep tunes) in her 93 Explorer :D
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"