Author Topic: Classic Rock Song of the Day (Deep Cuts now being featured!!)  (Read 160740 times)

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Re: Classic Rock Song of the Day
« Reply #630 on: March 23, 2013, 12:00:38 PM »
I loved this song after hearing it on the VH live album "Right Here, Right Now". Studio version rocks too. :metal

Live version slays the studio version.  One of those songs where the live version is so much better than the studio, it's painful to listen to the studio.  My opinion only.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #631 on: March 23, 2013, 12:07:44 PM »
I loved this song after hearing it on the VH live album "Right Here, Right Now". Studio version rocks too. :metal

Live version slays the studio version.  One of those songs where the live version is so much better than the studio, it's painful to listen to the studio.  My opinion only.

I agree, although having heard the live version first, and being a huge VH fan, I'm going to be biased on that.
Although I don't at all find the studio version painful. I think it still rocks, it just feels lacking without the extra touches of the live version imo.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #632 on: March 23, 2013, 12:12:16 PM »
In general, I find Hagar's music to be much better live.  It's just so polished on the record.  Doesn't sit right with me.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #633 on: March 23, 2013, 12:55:21 PM »
In general, I find Hagar's music to be much better live.  It's just so polished on the record.  Doesn't sit right with me.

Agreed. His studio albums never really caught how powerful a live act Hagar was back in the day. Which was a problem a lot of rock acts had back then. Loved this song, a classic crank it up radio song, but so much better live. He had an MTV concert during the 3 Lock Box tour and this song KILLED live.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #634 on: March 23, 2013, 05:30:59 PM »
Sammy Hagar - There's Only One Way to Rock

I agree with people who've posted that Sammy is MUCH more smokin live, though this is still a pretty damn good song.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #635 on: March 24, 2013, 12:49:54 PM »
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes

I have to admit that I had never heard this song before I saw it on Queen's Freddie Mercury concert tribute video, but I liked it then, and I liked the studio version when I finally heard it, too.  I don't know much else by them, but while I like this song, it never really gave me the urge to check out much else.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #636 on: March 24, 2013, 01:23:51 PM »
Mott the Hoople - All the Young Dudes

I have to admit that I had never heard this song before I saw it on Queen's Freddie Mercury concert tribute video, but I liked it then, and I liked the studio version when I finally heard it, too.  I don't know much else by them, but while I like this song, it never really gave me the urge to check out much else.

That was part of the problem Mott the Hoople had. No one wanted to listen to anything else they did  :lol

Okay, that's an exaggeration, as they had a few other hits and toured with bands such as Queen and Aerosmith opening for them, but really, the height of their success was brought to them by David Bowie writing this song and producing the album it was on, so that's what's lingered to this day. Cool song, always liked it. I remember an Ian Hunter concert on MTV way back in the day (Oh no, I'm crossing the streams of the two Song of the Day threads!) that MTV took his version of All The Young Dudes from to make a video that played all the damn time in the early days. Like every hour.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #637 on: March 24, 2013, 02:13:32 PM »
The first time I heard "All the Young Dudes" I was in junior high, and I said "What the fuck?  Is he singing about being attracted by all the young dudes and wanting to fuck every one of them?"  And yeah, the song was kinda catchy and cool, but sorry, a song about gay sex wasn't gonna work for me, and it still doesn't.

When I was growing up, we didn't call it homophobia; there were straights and gays, and if you were straight and said that the idea of two guys getting it on weirded you out or just plain disgusted you, people didn't say "Ah, methinks thou dost object too strongly.  You must be a closet homo."  It was actually okay to be straight.  Now, not only is it politically correct to be tolerant (which I have no problem with), it's actually swung all the way the other direction.  You're not allowed to be fucking straight anymore.  How did that happen?

Offline masterthes

« Reply #638 on: March 24, 2013, 05:57:50 PM »
I think you might slightly misunderstand this one Orbert. Sounds like one of those hippie love in kind of grooves

Offline Jaq

« Reply #639 on: March 24, 2013, 08:58:01 PM »
Oh wow, did you miss the point of this song BADLY, Orbert.  :lol

It's not even about love. It's about nihilism. It's about kids looking at the failing revolution of the hippie movement and saying "fuck it. Spread the news, the world's gonna end." It's about killing yourself rather than growing old. But it's not about being gay. At ALL.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #640 on: March 24, 2013, 10:27:30 PM »
Now Lucy looks sweet cause he dresses like a queen
But he can kick like a mule it's a real mean team
But we can love
Oh yes, we can love

Hey you there with the glasses, I want you
Now you, all his friends, now you bring him down 'cause I want him
I want him, right here, bring him, come on
I've wanted to do this for years
There you go!
How do you feel?

Yes, obviously it's about nihilism.  It's not about gay sex.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #641 on: March 24, 2013, 10:30:15 PM »
Given that what I said was what David Bowie said the song was about-and I've got this thing about authorial intent, strange though it may seem-you can take it up with him. Notice you didn't nitpick out the lyrics about shoplifting and suicide though.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #642 on: March 24, 2013, 10:50:37 PM »
No, I cited the lyrics that jumped out at me.  Like I said, the song was catchy, but when I actually listened to some of the lyrics, this is what I heard.  The first verse blew past me, something about some guy with spots on his face or something... the second verse talks about a guy who goes by the name of "Lucy", dresses like a queen, and kicks like a mule, but we can love.  Uh, okay.  Drank a lot of wine, gotta race some cat to bed... that one might not be a sexual reference I guess.  Then it goes into the chorus, which repeats while he ad-libs.  Hey dudes!  I want to see you, I want you, you in the front with the glasses.  I've wanted to do this for years.  Ah!  How's that feel?

I think it's possible that David had a different meaning in mind when he wrote it, but Ian Hunter spun it his own way, and he is gay after all, so I don't think I'm misconstruing all his ad-libbing at the end.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #643 on: March 25, 2013, 12:27:09 PM »
Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

This being his only real classic rock staple (his other big solo "hits" are more of the 80s variety than classic rock), this tends to sometimes get dismissed by his hardcore fans, like, "Good song, but he has tons that are better." That may or may not be true, but this is a terrific song no matter how you slice it.  I admittedly do not always listen to it if it comes on, but I was at a friend's recently and he had his classic rock playlist going, and when this played, I thought to myself, "Ya know, this song really is just too great for words."

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #644 on: March 25, 2013, 12:36:48 PM »
It's about Autism, right?

(sorry if that was in bad taste)

I never gave a damn about Solsbury Hill until I heard Solitary Shell. Someone mentioned the connection... I listened to it again... and it clicked. :tup
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline masterthes

« Reply #645 on: March 25, 2013, 01:19:39 PM »
A really great tune. I bet when it first came out fans were kind of shocked because it sounded like such a departure from his work with Genesis

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #646 on: March 25, 2013, 01:56:56 PM »
It's a good song.  Peter's solo work is, in general, structurally much more simple than his work with Genesis, but that's not really surprising since he wasn't the primary songwriter in Genesis.  He wrote a lot of lyrics and vocal melodies, but most of the songs were collaborative, and he actually wrote very little of the music.

So when the song came out, I remember thinking that yes, it was different from Genesis, but I wasn't really surprised.  Most of Peter's solo stuff sounds nothing like Genesis, which is fine with me, since Genesis gradually moved in a direction I didn't really care for.

Kinda cool that it's in 7/4.  It took me the longest time to notice that, because I'm so used to stuff in odd meters anyway. :P

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #647 on: March 25, 2013, 03:36:39 PM »
One of Gabriel's best songs.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #648 on: March 26, 2013, 09:07:32 AM »
Argent - Hold Your Head Up

This is another one of those classic rock songs that I think I heard so much over time that one day it was like, "Oh yeah, I know that song."  Very good song, and featuring some killer organ work.  That was the great about the 70s: you could have some catchy rock song, and then throw in a long killer organ or keyboard solo in the middle, and it could still be a big hit. :tup :tup

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: March 26, 2013, 09:09:12 AM »
Peter Gabriel - Solsbury Hill

This being his only real classic rock staple (his other big solo "hits" are more of the 80s variety than classic rock), this tends to sometimes get dismissed by his hardcore fans, like, "Good song, but he has tons that are better." That may or may not be true, but this is a terrific song no matter how you slice it.  I admittedly do not always listen to it if it comes on, but I was at a friend's recently and he had his classic rock playlist going, and when this played, I thought to myself, "Ya know, this song really is just too great for words."

His best song, and a Top 10 of all time for me. Can't really explain why I love it so much, though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #650 on: March 26, 2013, 10:01:24 AM »
Argent - Hold Your Head Up

This is another one of those classic rock songs that I think I heard so much over time that one day it was like, "Oh yeah, I know that song."  Very good song, and featuring some killer organ work.  That was the great about the 70s: you could have some catchy rock song, and then throw in a long killer organ or keyboard solo in the middle, and it could still be a big hit. :tup :tup

Yeah, Argent was cool.  I thought we'd already discussed this song, but I guess it was The Zombies, who had Rod Argent as their keyboardist.  I love the solo in particular, but the song itself was great.  Good, positive message, and lots of tasty Hammond work throughout.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: March 26, 2013, 10:46:56 AM »
When I saw The Zombies last year (almost a year ago to the day, actually) they also played this one. It was a great live song.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #652 on: March 26, 2013, 10:48:26 AM »
Dig the song.  I think it's the only Argent song I know.  Used to get a lot of radio air-time up here.  Haven't heard it (other than on my iPod/Phone) in a while.  Good tune.  Sick bass lick.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #653 on: March 26, 2013, 11:32:28 AM »
You may know another Argent song and not realize it.  Argent did the original version of "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" which features in one of the Bill and Ted movies (I forget which one).  KISS covered it for the movie soundtrack and got a minor hit out of it.  It's from the same Argent album (All Together Now) as "Hold Your Head Up".

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #654 on: March 26, 2013, 02:17:50 PM »
I love this one. Hammond is one of the best instruments ever.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #655 on: March 26, 2013, 08:32:04 PM »
You may know another Argent song and not realize it.  Argent did the original version of "God Gave Rock and Roll to You" which features in one of the Bill and Ted movies (I forget which one).  KISS covered it for the movie soundtrack and got a minor hit out of it.  It's from the same Argent album (All Together Now) as "Hold Your Head Up".

It was Bogus Journey. :blob:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #656 on: March 26, 2013, 09:06:55 PM »
Thanks!  I thought so, but I wasn't sure.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #657 on: March 27, 2013, 08:07:25 AM »
Kansas - Carry On Wayward Son

An unquestioned classic, this is another one of those "its awesomeness goes without saying" songs. There is little I can say about this song that hasn't been said already over the years.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: March 27, 2013, 08:11:43 AM »
Top 50 of all time material right there.  No question the song that Kansas is known for... and for good reason

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #659 on: March 27, 2013, 08:36:49 AM »
Classic indeed :metal

Offline Unlegit

« Reply #660 on: March 27, 2013, 10:29:24 AM »
No doubt one of Kansas' finest.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #661 on: March 27, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
Great song

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #662 on: March 27, 2013, 11:43:08 AM »
Her name was LeAnn.  She was a friend of my sister's, so she was a grade ahead of me.  She had long red hair, an exquisitely beautiful face, and the most amazing breasts I'd ever seen.  She also sang like an angel, and she needed someone to accompany her on piano in the school talent show.  I was happy to oblige.

She was, of course, incredible.  To thank me, she gave me a copy of Leftoverture by Kansas, still in the shrink wrap.  I'd heard their song "Carry On Wayward Son" and liked it, so it was cool, much appreciated.  Then I listened to the rest of the album and my mind was blown.  I ended up getting the entire back catalogue, as well as Point of Know Return which had just come out.

Trivia:  "Carry On Wayward Son" was a last-minute addition to the album.  What made Kansas different from other American prog bands was the violin.  Leftoverture was almost done, and they were quite proud of it, but what they really needed was a single.  Kerry Livgren had this one song he'd written, it didn't have any violin and wasn't really that prog, but it was rockin', so they recorded it, and decided that it should be the lead single on the album.  The rest is history.

It worked.  I love "Carry On Wayward Son" and how it sets the tone for the entire album, and it wasn't until I read that story later that I even realized that there's no violin and it's the least proggy song on the album.  But it's a rocker and has a bit more going on than most mid-70's rockers.  The breakdown is pretty long, as are the intro and outro, and they're all cut on the single version.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #663 on: March 27, 2013, 12:04:59 PM »
Easily one of my favorite songs of all time. It pretty much changed my life because it sparked an interest in Kansas for me, and led me to progressive rock.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #664 on: March 27, 2013, 12:11:51 PM »
I am sure this has been posted before, but it is worth doing so again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9pS5xzOWbwo