Author Topic: General musings about pirating  (Read 5903 times)

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
Re: General musings about pirating
« Reply #35 on: November 24, 2012, 03:09:13 PM »
I pay for Spotify Premium, which has eliminated almost all of my pirating ways. When Spotify doesn't have something I want, one of my friends usually does and he/she will share it with me. I haven't purchased physical or digital albums in over a year.
I think that's it. There's a sort of tug-of-war going on.

Consumers - particularly young, tech-savvy ones - would take one look at a CD priced around the £18.00 mark and go "Er, no." They're concerned with getting it as cheap as possible. But the record labels have margins to meet, people in umpteen different departments to pay plus the artists, they're not setting their prices high for fun, they're setting them high because they need to. Both have vested, and completely understandable, interests in paying opposite prices.

Do the fat cats at the labels need the enormous salaries they get? Not all of them, no. But equally, do the kids deserve to get all their music for free, no skin off anyone else's back? No, that's not fair, either. Services like Spotify then, finally, have provided a sort of middle ground. A nice, convenient mid-point which doesn't rob anyone, but helps pay the artists at the same time as making music accessible to everyone who wants to hear it.

I think piracy is becoming, and will become, less necessary as time goes on. Spotify, in particular, is a device that can help pay everyone who's worked so hard to make these songs happen, but also keeps culture as readily available as the pirates would, quite understandably, love to have it. People will still want to own music, and of them some people will still want the added value of a disc with a case and artwork (although the people who only tolerated it will move away from it) but it's starting to settle into a nice middle ground where you neither have to pay through your nose nor starve a musician's family if you want to love music. Power is starting to balance, and that's great.

Building on Rob's post:

Looking at piracy as a moral issue is a bad idea.  At best, you'll go nuts.  At worst, you'll want to pass SOPA or be content with artists never making money.

Piracy was and still is about economics.  People view music as having a certain worth.  If you ask people to pay a price they think is worthwhile, they will pay.  Spotify is worth the money, so I have it.

Bands nowadays know that money is made on touring, not album sales.

This is true, however if a band isn't selling anything, then promoters have no reason to think they're worth booking.

Yep.

Also, by making the "bands make no money from CD's" argument, you're creating a culture that accepts record labels/suits making all the money off an artist's labor as opposed to the artist.  This is not okay.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 03:15:53 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline robwebster

« Reply #36 on: November 24, 2012, 03:13:06 PM »
Building on Adami and Reapsta's posts...
They do need records to tout, though, they need to keep producing new music to play on those tours, and record labels are great for making that music happen. Sure, there are a few legacy bands to whom this doesn't apply as much - Bob Geldof could dine out for decades on I Don't Like Mondays - but largely, the albums and the tours will feed one another, a new album that sounds great will sell more tickets than one that doesn't, and just because the band doesn't get that much money from an album doesn't mean the people who produced it don't need payment for their part in keeping the band and the tours rolling like they should.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #37 on: November 24, 2012, 04:04:43 PM »
r0ckon, keep in mind that rampant pirating of music seems to be a one-generational thing, so far. My parents generation didn't download music. My little brother's generation, from what I can tell, doesn't either.

It's really only one generation which decided music isn't worth paying for.
This is a fascinating point, which I haven't considered.  I suppose we are past the point of rampant music sharing when $5/month will get you most music legally.  I wonder if we'll see the point where movies go the same way.  Too many competing interests right now, and they're all losing as a result of it.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #38 on: November 24, 2012, 04:49:17 PM »
Bandcamp is a great idea for the upcoming new bands. You can stream and download for free, or for a price set by the band, or pay however much you want. Some even offer physical cds which is great for me.

I recently lost my itouch and dont plan on buying a new one, my brother has my laptop so my only music source are cds. I dont mind paying for it nor dont mind the price, as i'll buy a rare out of print for way more.

I do pirate but not a lot. If I had money id buy a lot more, but theirs more important things that come first. Services like Spotify and Youtube are great when i want to listen to music, pandora i use for discovering new bands.

It really depends on why your making music. As older bands still made it without much exposure, it was by being good and word of mouth. Because their is way too much music to listen to it all.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #39 on: November 24, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »
Look at Steam and video games...

Offline WindMaster

• DTF's Ultimate Frisbee Player
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #40 on: November 24, 2012, 06:36:54 PM »
Look at Steam and video games...
For games I prefer to buy digital, but for CDs, I usually don't buy the digital version if I can help it. Interesting how that works, because games and music are pretty much the same general thing in my eyes.
I only listen to electro-post dubprog.  You've probably never heard of it.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #41 on: November 24, 2012, 08:06:29 PM »
I used to download all the time. I haven't in a while. I've purchased 300 songs on iTunes over the last year.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #42 on: November 24, 2012, 09:16:52 PM »
How many album purchases do you afford yourself a month/year?

Not too many, but enough that I can keep expanding my musical horizons. I just bought a record player, so the world of vinyl and cassette have just opened up to me.

What do you do when you can't afford to buy music? Pirate it or just don't listen to it?

I might look up one track off of the album, but I like Spotify because the artists get paid for their work.

Do you download to sample the music, before you buy?

See above. I'll usually only look up a track or two before I buy, but I like to be surprised when I get the album, for better or worse.

Do you prefer digital or physical media?

Physical, but I have all of my CD's ripped to my computer and then synced to my phone or MP3 player.

Does it matter to you if it's an established "rich" band, or a struggling, lesser known artist?

People often say that they don't feel bad about illegal downloading because they see how people live on MTV Cribs. I think that when less money goes to the record company, it makes them less interested in finding new, "struggling, lesser known artists". As such, I pay for both well-known bands and lesser known bands. Of course, if the new artist isn't good, they just won't sell.

What about albums you only "sorta" like? Do you buy them anyway?

Sometimes, the album that you only sorta like turns out to be one of your favorites. Shadow Gallery's Room V is a great example of an album that I only got because it was in a Name-Your-Own-Price bin at the record store. I had only heard of it from a recommendation. I got it, and I was amazed.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline r0cken

« Reply #43 on: November 24, 2012, 10:56:01 PM »
Services like Spotify then, finally, have provided a sort of middle ground. A nice, convenient mid-point which doesn't rob anyone, but helps pay the artists
I've read the sums the artists get from Spotify are ridiculously low. Only the really popular artists can benefit from it, the smaller bands would make much more money selling the actual CD on their website or at a concert. So I'm not sure about how good it is really for the artist. Good for discovering one, I suppose, but it won't pay his bills.

This is true, however if a band isn't selling anything, then promoters have no reason to think they're worth booking.
The internet is the best promotion tool in this age. It's word of mouth times million. Labels, promoters - they are all dinosaurs. They will be extinct, as new business models are taking over.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 12:43:06 AM by r0cken »

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #44 on: November 24, 2012, 11:13:48 PM »
They do need records to tout, though, they need to keep producing new music to play on those tours, and record labels are great for making that music happen. Sure, there are a few legacy bands to whom this doesn't apply as much - Bob Geldof could dine out for decades on I Don't Like Mondays - but largely, the albums and the tours will feed one another, a new album that sounds great will sell more tickets than one that doesn't, and just because the band doesn't get that much money from an album doesn't mean the people who produced it don't need payment for their part in keeping the band and the tours rolling like they should.

Not really. An upcoming band needs to play live to stay alive. Its good as a band to have many songs in your repertoire before you announce yourself as one. In a way thinking back to the olden days before internet.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #45 on: November 24, 2012, 11:36:35 PM »
The real pisser is that while buying directly from the artist is always a great option, as it supports them more than buying from amazon or iTunes, but artists who offer that option often seem to jack the prices way up.  It's like they say:

-You can buy my CD at amazon for $12.99, with free shipping.

Or

-You can buy my CD directly from me for $17.99, plus shipping.

I get that they are taking advantage of the hardcore fans by upping the prices, especially since they know the diehards will fork it over, but it sometimes leaves a bad taste in mouth, and I then tend to not buy from them directly anymore, merely out of principle.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #46 on: November 24, 2012, 11:44:49 PM »
I get that they are taking advantage of the hardcore fans by upping the prices, especially since they know the diehards will fork it over, but it sometimes leaves a bad taste in mouth, and I then tend to not buy from them directly anymore, merely out of principle.

You said it yourself, it's taking advantage of the hardcore fans.

Louis CK put his Beacon Theater special up for five bucks.  By cutting out the middle man, he had his product cheaper.  I bough it almost immediately.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #47 on: November 24, 2012, 11:47:04 PM »
We have a fucking awesome store here called Vintage Stock. Their selection of DVDs, music, and games completely overshadows Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy put together. They also have tons of comic books and various old/collectible toys. I try to support them when I can. They have multiple locations so I don't think they're hurting, but I usually try to buy my movies and music from them. I prefer to have physical copies, so last time I was there I snagged a few Iron Maiden albums. I'd much rather do that than download them.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline r0cken

« Reply #48 on: November 24, 2012, 11:58:21 PM »
The real pisser is that while buying directly from the artist is always a great option, as it supports them more than buying from amazon or iTunes, but artists who offer that option often seem to jack the prices way up. 
I'm trying to understand why not many bands are selling digital downloads of the album on their site? They don't need to pack, or ship, or print a CD, it's pure profit. Where's the culprit then?

Even though I'm not much of a buyer, a favorite band that offers an affordable download directly on their site, is almost a definite buy for me. On the other hand, I'm not gonna easily pay $20 (cd+shipping) even for the most anticipated album.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2012, 01:37:30 AM »
It varies. Some months I might buy as many as one per week or so, and then maybe I won't check anything else out for a month or two, or maybe even longer.

What do you do when you can't afford to buy music? Pirate it or just don't listen to it?
I can't remember not being able to afford music so I dunno. I don't listen to new music everyday. There's just a few bands I tend to listen to a LOT and just get really familiar with their stuff. So I don't really have to worry about trying to buy a ton of music all the time. I haven't pirated in forever, but there have been occasions recently where I have downloaded it prior to release out of sheer anticipation, but had a physical copy pre-ordered anyway.

Rarely. Typically I'll check out a song or two on youtube, or else I'll listen to the preview clips on iTunes or Amazon.

Usually digital. If it's a band I'm crazy about, I like to get a physical copy. But I mostly purchase/download from iTunes.

Does it matter to you if it's an established "rich" band, or a struggling, lesser known artist?
Not really. But most of the artists I listen to nowadays aren't rich.

If I find myself going to youtube to listen to them noticeably often, at that point I figure I like it enough to justify the cost anyway.

We have a fucking awesome store here called Vintage Stock. Their selection of DVDs, music, and games completely overshadows Wal-Mart, Target, and Best Buy put together. They also have tons of comic books and various old/collectible toys. I try to support them when I can. They have multiple locations so I don't think they're hurting, but I usually try to buy my movies and music from them. I prefer to have physical copies, so last time I was there I snagged a few Iron Maiden albums. I'd much rather do that than download them.

:tup We have three or four Vintage Stocks in KC. I haven't visited them in a while, but I do remember buying my first DT album there (Images and Words).

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2012, 03:38:32 AM »
The real pisser is that while buying directly from the artist is always a great option, as it supports them more than buying from amazon or iTunes, but artists who offer that option often seem to jack the prices way up.  It's like they say:

-You can buy my CD at amazon for $12.99, with free shipping.

Or

-You can buy my CD directly from me for $17.99, plus shipping.

I'm mainly talking about upcoming bands. Of course bands that are a bit known will jack the prices up. Even though, you can still buy support the band other ways by buying merchandise, or if they're close check them out on tour. But, if your like me, living in the musical unknown, then all you can do is Buy their music, and praise their name to get them to tour, as seeing them live beats anything studio done.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2012, 06:11:01 AM »
As a music fan, I don't download.  I'm sorry that a lot of people don't like reading this, but to me downloading is stealing, and yes, it's stealing period.  It's taking something without permission from the rightful owner that you didn't pay for.  You can rationalize it until you're blue in the face, I will never view it as anything but common thievery.  And frankly, if you're offended by that, well, I don't care.

As an artist signed to a small record label with one published album and one more (which will be the last one) on the way, I can tell you with unequivocal 100% certainty that downloading (i.e. stealing) inflicts financial hardship on small bands like mine that do not have the resources to cough up $20,000 to professionally record, mix, duplicate and distribute an album's worth of music only to have so-called "fans" dump it all over the internet so that everyone on earth who wants to steal a copy can do so.  And no, the "exposure" doesn't do jack shit for sales.  That's a myth.  I know this for a fact through direct experience. 

Offline ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2012, 07:14:32 AM »
A month I'll probably snag 2-5 albums, mainly digital copies.

Pirate, or spotify, or grooveshark

Always download and check it out first

Digital with the exception of a few artists where I really enjoy have a physical copy, which usually comes in the form of a vinyl

Yes, I always try the give the little guy money first.

No, I'll just buy the songs off the individual album.

As I've gotten older and now have money I definitely try and support artists by buying goods from them. When I was younger and had zero money I'd just pirate the shit out of the music and save my cash to see them live.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #53 on: November 25, 2012, 08:06:44 AM »
so-called "fans" dump it all over the internet so that everyone on earth who wants to steal a copy can do so.  And no, the "exposure" doesn't do jack shit for sales.  That's a myth.  I know this for a fact through direct experience.
I hate to say it, but... How to put it gently...
Not *everyone* can succeed. There just isn't a place for every garage band in the world. In the age before internet, before downloads, lots of bands didn't succeed. And there's always someone to blame - the labels, the executives, now the listeners.
Only the minority can make it out there, and only the artists that offer something unique and of real quality - can build a loyal fanbase (what you mentioned earlier isn't loyal fanbase), and proceed from there. And they make it despite the piracy, and sometimes because of the piracy.

By the way that's why I offered the question about buying popular vs lesser known. I realize it's more of a concern for the smaller bands, and that they probably count every sale. That's why it matters when I have to decide what to buy.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 08:15:02 AM by r0cken »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #54 on: November 25, 2012, 08:38:44 AM »
Why are the uploaders never shat on when discussions of piracy arise? What they are doing is no different than burning a copy for a friend to check out, which is illegal duplication, but only the downloaders are getting sued. It's not like downloaders are breaking into top secret organizations and stealing company documents. This stuff is made available for everyone, shared by the uploaders.

If it wasn't for downloading, I wouldn't have bought Dream Theater's entire catolog.

Also, why aren't used CD Shops being busted? They are profiting from sharing music and artists don't see a dime of it.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #55 on: November 25, 2012, 11:18:28 AM »
One of my good friends pirates everything down to his copy of Windows. He even got his 360 modded so that the system would run pirated games as well. I've never questioned him much about it, but knowing him, his excuse basically seems to be: "fuck them...they like...make a bunch of money...and stuff!"  ::) Surprised he hasn't gotten a nasty computer virus yet.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #56 on: November 25, 2012, 11:57:12 AM »
Surprised he hasn't gotten a nasty computer virus yet.
:rollin
Is that what they tell happens when you download lots of illegal software? 

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #57 on: November 25, 2012, 11:58:47 AM »
I gotta say r0cken, you seem very passionate about being able to pirate things.

I am not so passionate about not being able to pirate things, so may I ask why you're so......well......passionate? (sorry for all the redundancy)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline r0cken

« Reply #58 on: November 25, 2012, 12:02:17 PM »
Adami, I'm not. What's there to be passionate about? If I had unlimited amounts of money, I'd buy everything.
I'm just bewildered and amused, seeing how different people's mentality can be. It's all good though, everyone's entitled to their own view on things.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #59 on: November 25, 2012, 12:03:29 PM »
Adami, I'm not. What's there to be passionate about? If I had unlimited amounts of money, I'd buy everything.
I'm just bewildered and amused, seeing how different people's mentality can be. It's all good though, everyone's entitles to their own view on things.

Oh okay. Well you make for very good reads. :) So keep on the good fight.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #60 on: November 25, 2012, 12:10:40 PM »

Very few -- maybe 3.

Spotify.

I'll listen on Spotify or Youtube.

Well, I never actually listen to songs from the disc.  If I buy a CD physically, I just rip it to my Mac immediately -- the CD is just a keepsake.

I would feel much worse about pirating the music of a lesser-known artist, but I don't pirate anyway so it's not an issue for me.

Spotify.

Offline Ħ

« Reply #61 on: November 25, 2012, 12:21:10 PM »

:rollin :rollin :rollin :rollin  Not an issue for me.
lol, wow dude
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline robwebster

« Reply #62 on: November 25, 2012, 12:38:15 PM »
Services like Spotify then, finally, have provided a sort of middle ground. A nice, convenient mid-point which doesn't rob anyone, but helps pay the artists
I've read the sums the artists get from Spotify are ridiculously low. Only the really popular artists can benefit from it, the smaller bands would make much more money selling the actual CD on their website or at a concert. So I'm not sure about how good it is really for the artist. Good for discovering one, I suppose, but it won't pay his bills.
Emphasis - "helps pay the artists." Picked my words carefully. It's not a solution on its own, but it's part of one. Nobody's saying the problem's solved. But we're finding, pursuing, and actively changing our listening habits in ways that begin to solve it.

Not really. An upcoming band needs to play live to stay alive. Its good as a band to have many songs in your repertoire before you announce yourself as one. In a way thinking back to the olden days before internet.
I agree, I just don't know how this contradicts anything I've said. Possible that I'm reading it wrong. Might have to ask you to rephrase it a bit - I am kind of a dolt.

It needs to play live to stay alive, but it also needs fans - and a fanbase won't sustain itself on a gig every two years. CDs make fans, and fans make live sales. Once the gig's over, you need a way to keep enjoying the band for the next two years, five years, sometimes ten years until it swings back round your neck of the woods. The album is what the band gives the fans, and the live sales are what the fans will give them in return. A band could have the best show in the world, but what does that mean once everyone's back home?

Your fans need something to be a fan of all year, nobody's a fan for a day, if you're relying on that they'll have forgotten you by the time you come back. The strength of your live sales is based on the strength of your fanbase, and the studio material's what the people are busy being fans of for 364 days a year - and that's an under-estimate. Even if the artist doesn't directly profit from their debut album, the album is what the people will cherish, and that gives them a reason to buy tickets, and a reason to remember the band next time they come round.

Think of the CD as an advert for the tour. They might lose money on advertising, certainly don't stand to gain much, but it creates a market and breeds loyalty, so even though you might've lost money giving people a reason to care about your brand, by the time the tour comes round people's interest is piqued, and you've laid the foundation for much stronger ticket sales.

It'd possibly be more sensible to start talking about it that way round, actually. Bands don't tour in support of an album, they release an album in preparation for a tour.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #63 on: November 25, 2012, 12:40:14 PM »
People are arguing about how bad/good Spotify is, and it is not even available in this gloom cookie's country.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline philmcson

« Reply #64 on: November 25, 2012, 12:52:53 PM »
People are arguing about how bad/good Spotify is, and it is not even available in this gloom cookie's country.

I guess the injustice is eliminated by the availability of torrent trackers  :biggrin:

Offline Ħ

« Reply #65 on: November 25, 2012, 12:56:19 PM »
It seems that the underlying moral issue here is consequentialism. If you are led to buy a CD because you first listened to it illegally, then are you justified? I would say no.
"All great works are prepared in the desert, including the redemption of the world. The precursors, the followers, the Master Himself, all obeyed or have to obey one and the same law. Prophets, apostles, preachers, martyrs, pioneers of knowledge, inspired artists in every art, ordinary men and the Man-God, all pay tribute to loneliness, to the life of silence, to the night." - A. G. Sertillanges

Offline Scorpion

• Unreal Heir
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ragnarök around the Clöck!
« Reply #66 on: November 25, 2012, 12:58:37 PM »
I doubt that the artists care. Better someone who discovered them illegally and then buys their discography than one fan less.
scorpion is my favorite deathcore lobster
Hey, the length is fine :azn: Thanks!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #67 on: November 25, 2012, 02:06:25 PM »
I doubt that the artists care. Better someone who discovered them illegally and then buys their discography than one fan less.

It varies from artist to artist.  Some dislike it; some have no problem with it. 

When Epicloud was first out, Devin Townsend tweeted that youtube scolded him...for posting his own music. :lol :lol :lol :lol  Devin has said repeatedly that he just wants as many people as possible to hear his music, and if more buy it after hearing it, great.  If not, oh well.  And he is not someone who makes a killing being a full-time musician.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #68 on: November 25, 2012, 02:18:15 PM »
Speaking of Townsend, good thing he enabled donations on his label's site. I downloaded the album and then just donated $10. It was the most convenient. Guess I could still be sued for an illegal download, hypothetically.
So that's another thing bands should do. For the fans who want to give them their money, but can't or won't use Spotify/iTunes.

Offline MetalMike06

• DT.net Member
« Reply #69 on: November 25, 2012, 02:21:58 PM »
Surprised he hasn't gotten a nasty computer virus yet.
:rollin
Is that what they tell happens when you download lots of illegal software?

Nobody told me that. I experienced it first hand years ago when I used to pirate. It wasn't so much with music as it was with software - games, recording software, etc. A few times I remember scanning the torrent to find something hidden in there.