Author Topic: General musings about pirating  (Read 5812 times)

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: General musings about pirating
« Reply #70 on: November 25, 2012, 03:42:08 PM »
The internet is the best promotion tool in this age. It's word of mouth times million. Labels, promoters - they are all dinosaurs. They will be extinct, as new business models are taking over.

Yeah, but that hasn't happened yet, and right now better sales=better booking.

r0cken, you seem awfully dismissive of every argument that suggests buying music is the perhaps more moral than stealing as much of it as you can.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #71 on: November 25, 2012, 10:39:13 PM »
r0cken, you seem awfully dismissive of every argument that suggests buying music is the perhaps more moral than stealing as much of it as you can.
It is more moral buying it, of course. The artist should be paid.
What I'm saying is that there's a lot more to it, than the one-dimensional "downloading is stealing" argument. Dismissing the economic issue for a moment, one could say that there are different degrees of moral, and definitely different degrees of illegal. Stealing a chewing gum is different from robbing a bank, is different from downloading a song. Some would say that stealing is stealing is stealing, but even the law wouldn't agree with you.

And then, you could see downloading an album as copying it from a friend. Legal? Moral? You'd get different answers at different times and places. See, for example the "Audio Home Recording Act" of 1992 (lots have changed since then, I know).
« Last Edit: November 25, 2012, 11:54:26 PM by r0cken »

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #72 on: November 26, 2012, 12:02:15 AM »

Related story.

My dad got the new Led Zeppelin Celebration Day CD/DVD set.  I asked him if I could borrow it.  I took the CD's up to my room and ripped them to my computer.  I then put the physical CD's back in the case and gave them back to my dad. 

He was happy to have his CD's back.  But I know that I stole from him, and the pain burns deep in my heart.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #73 on: November 26, 2012, 04:56:23 AM »
I guess the injustice is eliminated by the availability of torrent trackers  :biggrin:
It would be way better to hear 90% of what you want legally with a paid subscription though :) luckily, a lot of bands I'm into now have Bandcamps and free streaming or even free downloads, and some others are completely okay with people downloading their stuff. So I'm doing much less illegal downloading than last year. And reviewing for a webzine has its perks :hat
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 05:05:56 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #74 on: November 26, 2012, 05:09:42 AM »
It is more moral buying it, of course. The artist should be paid.
What I'm saying is that there's a lot more to it, than the one-dimensional "downloading is stealing" argument. Dismissing the economic issue for a moment, one could say that there are different degrees of moral, and definitely different degrees of illegal. Stealing a chewing gum is different from robbing a bank, is different from downloading a song. Some would say that stealing is stealing is stealing, but even the law wouldn't agree with you.

And then, you could see downloading an album as copying it from a friend. Legal? Moral? You'd get different answers at different times and places. See, for example the "Audio Home Recording Act" of 1992 (lots have changed since then, I know).

Yeah, I know. I realize that the internet music culture has found all and every reason to act like downloading music isn't really that immoral or illegal. But, in most cases, they're wrong, and just trying to justify (imo) a lazy and greedy habit.

Related story.

My dad got the new Led Zeppelin Celebration Day CD/DVD set.  I asked him if I could borrow it.  I took the CD's up to my room and ripped them to my computer.  I then put the physical CD's back in the case and gave them back to my dad. 

He was happy to have his CD's back.  But I know that I stole from him, and the pain burns deep in my heart.

IIRC, that's neither illegal nor immoral.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #75 on: November 26, 2012, 05:39:57 AM »
It would be way better to hear 90% of what you want legally with a paid subscription though.
I think that's wrong. Those subscription services, like Spotify, are the absolute evil. They make almost no money for the artist, they only make the corporations rich. Yet, lots of people feel it's okay, because it's legal, and no moral questions arise.
Speaking of the benefit to the artist, it's almost no different than downloading. It might be even worse actually, cause you're not aware of the problem.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #76 on: November 26, 2012, 05:48:01 AM »
Speaking of the benefit to the artist, it's almost no different than downloading. It might be even worse actually, cause you're not aware of the problem.
It is a step in more or less a right direction. On the previous page, I was saying how it's silly that people have these huge debates whether Spotify is evil or not, and meanwhile, a lot of us in somewhat less fortunate countries don't even have it :) heck, I have only ever heard of it because I'm interested in these things; I purely doubt a lot of my friends are even aware of Spotify.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline philmcson

« Reply #77 on: November 26, 2012, 06:31:04 AM »
I guess the injustice is eliminated by the availability of torrent trackers  :biggrin:
It would be way better to hear 90% of what you want legally with a paid subscription though :) luckily, a lot of bands I'm into now have Bandcamps and free streaming or even free downloads, and some others are completely okay with people downloading their stuff. So I'm doing much less illegal downloading than last year. And reviewing for a webzine has its perks :hat

Sure, but first of all it's a financial problem, and second, you know to well that in our geographic region it may be sometimes too costy, nerve-wrecking and lenghty to obtain some records which aren't among the most popular, especially if you're going for ownership of physical media (CDs)...... yesterday I listened to Redemption's latest album, and I had three/four posibilities:

a) go to the local record stores and ask who the retailer for Redemption is (most often it depends on which record label the band belongs to; the label then makes a contract with an appreciated store that gets the exclusive right to import their media), then, after finding it, order and wait for approximately 2 weeks

b) order through Amazon for 10 € + 6 € shipping. Yeah right......
c) pay the download via Amazon for some 9 € - this would be even okay.....
d) just pirate it

Take a hint: at the moment I'm unemployed......  ;)

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #78 on: November 26, 2012, 08:05:53 AM »
It would be way better to hear 90% of what you want legally with a paid subscription though.
I think that's wrong. Those subscription services, like Spotify, are the absolute evil. They make almost no money for the artist, they only make the corporations rich. Yet, lots of people feel it's okay, because it's legal, and no moral questions arise.

What corporation is Spotify making money for?  Certainly not themselves.  They're gonna bleed dry within the next 12 months if they don't get another round of funding.  15 million customers, only 4 million are paying.  Their cost of sales (ie, label licensing fees) was $236 million in 2011.  That's hardly making any corporation rich.

This is an entertaining thread.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #79 on: November 26, 2012, 08:33:40 AM »
I would gladly pay Apple $10 a month for access to stream their entire iTunes library.

Offline r0cken

« Reply #80 on: November 26, 2012, 08:49:24 AM »
If Spotify doesn't make any money for anybody, it's even more pointless.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #81 on: November 26, 2012, 08:50:50 AM »

What corporation is Spotify making money for?  Certainly not themselves.  They're gonna bleed dry within the next 12 months if they don't get another round of funding.  15 million customers, only 4 million are paying.  Their cost of sales (ie, label licensing fees) was $236 million in 2011.  That's hardly making any corporation rich.

You're missing ad revenue.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #82 on: November 26, 2012, 09:47:58 AM »
Ad revenue or not, they had total revenues of $244M in 2011, with cost of sales at $238M.  Add in their other costs, and they posted a net loss of almost $60M ... up from a net loss of $39.5M in 2010.

It's a good business model, they just haven't figured out the economics of it yet.  Who knows if they ever will.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline SeRoX

• DTF.org Member
  • The VoiceMaster
« Reply #83 on: November 26, 2012, 10:10:51 AM »
How many album purchases do you afford yourself a month/year?
Buying albums is not luxury for me. I have many favourite musicians in my country, plus many international bands or artists and probably I buy 2-3 albums in a month. But it changes of course. Sometimes it could 1, sometimes 5 in a month.

What do you do when you can't afford to buy music? Pirate it or just don't listen to it?
Well, like I said above if the band or the artist is one of my fav I buy their stuff. Other than that, if I just want to check out some stuff from other bands I'm not familiar I download. If I love it I buy them too.

Do you download to sample the music, before you buy?
If it's from my favorite band or musician. No! I definitely buy no matter what. But my favorite or not, I do not download I just listen samples on the net. For instance from amazon for just a minute for each song. That's all.

Do you prefer digital or physical media?
Physical. I mean they are like book to me. I can't enjoy pdf so much for reading. I need to hold them. But I buy some of stuff dijital as well.

Does it matter to you if it's an established "rich" band, or a struggling, lesser known artist?
Well, no of course. I'm not interested in how big they are both financially or popularity. 

What about albums you only "sorta" like? Do you buy them anyway?
Again, if they are from my all time favorite bands like Dream Theater, Anathema, Within Temptation... I buy no matter what. Good or bad or even horrible. But for the other band's albums I just started to listen or sorta like, firstly I download their albums and if I like them much I buy them too.
Quote from: Plasmastrike
SeRoX is right!
Quote from: Nihil-Morari
SeRoX is DTF's JLB!
As usual, SeRoX is correct.

Offline Juular

« Reply #84 on: November 26, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
How many album purchases do you afford yourself a month/year?
Usually between 5 and 10 CDs a month.

What do you do when you can't afford to buy music? Pirate it or just don't listen to it?
If it's not on Simfy (something like Spotify) which I pay 5€ a month for, I don't listen to it. Sometimes I check Youtube for samples.

Do you download to sample the music, before you buy?
No.

Do you prefer digital or physical media?
Physical only.

Does it matter to you if it's an established "rich" band, or a struggling, lesser known artist?
No. I buy what I like, no matter what it is.

What about albums you only "sorta" like? Do you buy them anyway?
Sometimes but not very often.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #85 on: November 26, 2012, 11:41:03 AM »

Related story.

IIRC, that's neither illegal nor immoral.

Are you sure about that?  Didn't I "steal" from Led Zeppelin by not buying it myself?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline r0cken

« Reply #86 on: November 26, 2012, 11:46:55 AM »
I think you shouldn't be allowed to sit on the same couch with your dad, while he listens to his Zeppelin CDs. After all, you didn't pay for them...
And there should be a minimal distance defined, that a person keeps from other people's CDs. Just in case.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #87 on: November 26, 2012, 11:55:12 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the point of this thread r0cken. I mean, you seem rather secure in your commitment to pirating, and that is totally fine. However you also seem rather.....I dunno, upset at people who don't agree. You don't really seem too interested in a real conversation, and you said yourself that you're bewildered by opposing points of view.

So....what exactly were you hoping to get out of this thread? Some people pirate, some people don't. Those that do thing it's a perfectly okay thing to do, those that don't feel it's not as okay to do. In the end it's really not the biggest deal anymore. So what do you hope for this thread?

Not trying to sound antogonistic or anything mind you, I've enjoyed reading it and have no real stake in the matter, I was just curious.  :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline r0cken

« Reply #88 on: November 26, 2012, 12:00:16 PM »
That last post of mine was in a joking tone... Maybe I should've through a smiley in. Don't take it too seriously.

Online Adami

« Reply #89 on: November 26, 2012, 12:01:23 PM »
That last post of mine was in a joking tone, not angry... Maybe I should've through a smiley in. Don't take it too seriously.

Oh no I figured as much, I just meant in general. You don't seem so much angry, as just kind of defensive against anyone who disagrees with you. But my question still stands as to what you kind of hoped to get out of this thread.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #90 on: November 26, 2012, 12:05:27 PM »
Totally Unrelated Post:

Adami, you are coming up on 20000 posts. Congrats dude!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Online Adami

« Reply #91 on: November 26, 2012, 12:06:32 PM »
Totally Unrelated Post:

Pretty sure I've hit that number several times lol. They keep deleting old posts which brings me down. Doesn't matter much anyway, but thanks bro.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline r0cken

« Reply #92 on: November 26, 2012, 12:09:04 PM »
Adami, well, someone have to represent the other side, no? Otherwise there would be no discussion... And obviously it couldn't just stay in the questions and answers template, it was bound to develop into a discussion.

What I hoped to get out of the thread, I already got (as I mentioned earlier). Wanted a general look at how people feel towards the subject and their habits of buying vs downloading.
Albeit, someone told me the answers here might not be very representative, but for now that's what we got.

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #93 on: November 26, 2012, 12:10:20 PM »
Totally Unrelated Post:

Pretty sure I've hit that number several times lol. They keep deleting old posts which brings me down. Doesn't matter much anyway, but thanks bro.

Don't let The Man bring you down!
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.

Online Adami

« Reply #94 on: November 26, 2012, 12:10:54 PM »
Adami, well, someone have to represent the other side, no? Otherwise there would be no discussion... And obviously it couldn't just stay in the questions and answers template, it was bound to develop into a discussion.

What I hoped to get out of the thread, I already got (as I mentioned earlier). Wanted a general look at how people feel towards the subject and their habits of buying vs downloading.
Albeit, someone told me the answers here might not be very representative, but for now that's what we got.

Gotcha. Thanks. :)
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #95 on: November 26, 2012, 01:21:10 PM »
You know to well that in our geographic region it may be sometimes too costy, nerve-wrecking and lenghty to obtain some records which aren't among the most popular, especially if you're going for ownership of physical media (CDs)......
Sadly that's the way it goes.

I've been told once, when I tried to justify my downloading habits by saying I plan on obtaining every CD I enjoyed when it becomes easier for me to do so, that I have the choice of simply not listening to anything I can't afford. But this was said by a middle-aged, single man in a rich European country with a steady paycheck. I doubt he could ever mentally put himself into my position.

I am trying to buy a bit more, slowly switch to legal ways of acquiring/listening to music, go to every show I can and remember that, whenever I do download, I'm not doing a good thing and that I am somewhat obliged, especially if I liked it, to get it later, whether it's within a year or three years from now. That's all that I can do right now and I think that's enough for now.

They say my/our generation is a generation of music thieves. But something equally important was stolen from us - our perspective and maybe future. At least that's how it is where I live. Also, if you shape your society into one where culture is devalued, don't be surprised if your children attribute no monetary value to music. Unlike me, most even don't consider it stealing, since it's "already there" and they won't be punished for it.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #96 on: November 26, 2012, 01:25:31 PM »
They say my/our generation is a generation of music thieves. But something equally important was stolen from us - our perspective and maybe future. At least that's how it is where I live. Also, if you shape your society into one where culture is devalued, don't be surprised if your children attribute no monetary value to music. Unlike me, most even don't consider it stealing, since it's "already there" and they won't be punished for it.

While this does not make up for stealing, which is sadly what pirating music ultimately is about, this is very true...
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline philmcson

« Reply #97 on: November 26, 2012, 02:13:17 PM »

While this does not make up for stealing, which is sadly what pirating music ultimately is about, this is very true...

Dito.

Offline kirksnosehair

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Bryce & Kylie's Grandpa
« Reply #98 on: November 26, 2012, 02:26:40 PM »
You know to well that in our geographic region it may be sometimes too costy, nerve-wrecking and lenghty to obtain some records which aren't among the most popular, especially if you're going for ownership of physical media (CDs)......
Sadly that's the way it goes.

I've been told once, when I tried to justify my downloading habits by saying I plan on obtaining every CD I enjoyed when it becomes easier for me to do so, that I have the choice of simply not listening to anything I can't afford. But this was said by a middle-aged, single man in a rich European country with a steady paycheck. I doubt he could ever mentally put himself into my position.

I am trying to buy a bit more, slowly switch to legal ways of acquiring/listening to music, go to every show I can and remember that, whenever I do download, I'm not doing a good thing and that I am somewhat obliged, especially if I liked it, to get it later, whether it's within a year or three years from now. That's all that I can do right now and I think that's enough for now.

And that's the key right there.  There are -for all practical purposes- no consequences for stealing music.  Until or unless there ARE consequences for it, people will just do it.    I'm not talking about jail or anything.  I'm talking about COST.  Oh, it's coming too.  That IS going to be the solution.  It's not coming tomorrow, but it's coming.  ISPs are going to be forced into dealing with this problem sooner rather than later.

Online Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #99 on: November 26, 2012, 02:35:28 PM »
All ISPs will need to participate, or else everyone will just switch to the one that won't fuck you.

Side thought. I hate the cost of merchadise. I find it way overpriced. If bands included a free digital download of an album with the purchase of a shirt or something... well, I'd have a lot more band shirts.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #100 on: November 26, 2012, 02:39:22 PM »
ISPs are going to be forced into dealing with this problem sooner rather than later.
Except that you can't regulate the internet. There will always be this or that proxy or solution.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #101 on: November 26, 2012, 04:04:33 PM »
I don't mind paying $15 for a CD or $20-$30 for a vinyl, I just limit myself to one of each or 1 vinyl or two CD's a week.

Online jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #102 on: November 26, 2012, 06:31:10 PM »
Barry... I hear you, but - and as an IT leader, you would know this better than anyone - build a better mousetrap, the mice will eventually get smarter.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #103 on: November 26, 2012, 06:36:09 PM »

Agreed. This thread totally reeks of the downloading subculture on the internet which (like the marijuna subculture) goes around acting like the behavior is 100 percent cool with no harm done, and all detractors are just uninformed victims of some mass brainwashing campaign.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2012, 07:50:50 PM by Perpetual Change »

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #104 on: November 26, 2012, 06:38:18 PM »
^ This is definitely well put. I can certainly see it in the people around me.