Author Topic: 2012-08-19/20 - Luna Park - Buenos Aires, ARG (being filmed for DVD)  (Read 129952 times)

Offline BlaK

Re: 2012-08-19/20 - Luna Park - Buenos Aires, ARG (being filmed for DVD)
« Reply #665 on: August 23, 2012, 01:27:03 PM »
3: The crowd, for the most part, SUCKED. In comparison to other shows (especially 2005 at Obras) it was awful. That was the big letdown for me. My area on the first night wasn't excited at ALL. Barely clapping, almost no screaming, just awful. I was really pissed but enjoyed myself anyway. People on the 3rd row were actually SITTING WATCHING THE SCREEN on a bunch of songs. Why the hell are you even there? Wait for the DVD! Ugh... (as a fellow argentinian you'll get what I'm saying)
The second night was a bit better (awesome on Pull Me Under for example) but not that much. Petrucci actually HAD TO ASK PEOPLE TO NOT SIT on These Walls. As soon as the verse started people started sitting and he made a gesture like: "What are you guys doing? Get up!" I think most people saw him cause we remained standing for the rest of the show except on the acoustic set.
I really thought Luna Park would explode. They were shooting a DVD, are you kidding me? People didn't even seem all that excited to be there.

Really?  Fans in South America are known for being super enthusiastic.  I'm kinda bummed the fans at this show weren't as into it.  I wonder why.  Oh well, I guess we have our title for the DVD set:  "Don't Mosh For Me, Argentina."  :lol

I know, that's why I expected so much from the crowd for these nights (taking into account the shooting of the DVD plus our usual enthusiasm) but it was pretty meh. I think in part it was DTs fault for having those damn seats anyway!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #666 on: August 23, 2012, 01:27:13 PM »
I'll take any set list that doesn't have Constant Motion over any set list that does any day of the week, and ending a set with The Ministry of Lost Souls has to be boredom personified. :lol :biggrin:

In fact:

1.  2008: An Ant Odyssey (intro video)
2.  Also sprach Zarathustra
3.  Constant Motion
4.  Panic Attack
5.  Blind Faith
6.  Surrounded ‘07
7.  The Dark Eternal Night
8.  keyboard solo
9.  Lines in the Sand
10.  I Walk Beside You
11.  As I Am
12.  The Ministry of Lost Souls
~~~encore~~~
13.  Medley:
14.  I Trial of Tears
15.  II Finally Free
16.  III Learning to Live
17.  IV In the Name of God
18.  V Octavarium

Despite the presence of Lines in the Sand and Blind Faith, that might be one of the ugliest set lists ever.  Ending the regular set with I Walk Beside You, As I Am and The Ministry of Lost Souls.  Good God. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

I'm a little biased on that one because of Blind Faith and the awesome encore.

@Blak: Yeah, one of the worst crowds I've been with. Not sure what was that.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #667 on: August 23, 2012, 01:28:38 PM »
3: The crowd, for the most part, SUCKED. In comparison to other shows (especially 2005 at Obras) it was awful. That was the big letdown for me. My area on the first night wasn't excited at ALL. Barely clapping, almost no screaming, just awful. I was really pissed but enjoyed myself anyway. People on the 3rd row were actually SITTING WATCHING THE SCREEN on a bunch of songs. Why the hell are you even there? Wait for the DVD! Ugh... (as a fellow argentinian you'll get what I'm saying)
The second night was a bit better (awesome on Pull Me Under for example) but not that much. Petrucci actually HAD TO ASK PEOPLE TO NOT SIT on These Walls. As soon as the verse started people started sitting and he made a gesture like: "What are you guys doing? Get up!" I think most people saw him cause we remained standing for the rest of the show except on the acoustic set.
I really thought Luna Park would explode. They were shooting a DVD, are you kidding me? People didn't even seem all that excited to be there.

Really?  Fans in South America are known for being super enthusiastic.  I'm kinda bummed the fans at this show weren't as into it.  I wonder why.  Oh well, I guess we have our title for the DVD set:  "Don't Mosh For Me, Argentina."  :lol

I know, that's why I expected so much from the crowd for these nights (taking into account the shooting of the DVD plus our usual enthusiasm) but it was pretty meh. I think in part it was DTs fault for having those damn seats anyway!

I was at other 4 DT shows in the Luna Park and in all of them the crowd went nuts. It was this specific two. Nothing to do with the awful sits.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #668 on: August 23, 2012, 01:31:23 PM »
the crowd isnt that big of a deal. the Japanese people were pretty much nonexistent for the budokan dvd.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #669 on: August 23, 2012, 01:32:09 PM »
the crowd isnt that big of a deal. the Japanese people were pretty much nonexistent for the budokan dvd.

Yeah, I know.  But I think a lot of people were looking forward to having a much more enthusiastic crowd on this one.  I know I was.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlaK

« Reply #670 on: August 23, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »
The seats don't help. Lots of older people and "snobs" or whatever instead of the die-hard DT fans that chant all the songs, guitar parts, etc. (lots of them probably couldn't afford the better seats so you had little "groups" going crazy and entire sections just sitting there doing nothing.)

You'll probably see me in the DVD cause I was going crazy and the camera behind Rudess and the one on the left of the stage was on me and my friends a LOT haha.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #671 on: August 23, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »

Yeah, I know.  But I think a lot of people were looking forward to having a much more enthusiastic crowd on this one.  I know I was.

Me too. I was probably one of the most vocal supporters of this DVD being somewhere like South America as opposed to somewhere else like North America, because of the crazy audiences. Not gonna affect the quality of this DVD though. It just could have been the icing on the delicious cake.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline BlaK

« Reply #672 on: August 23, 2012, 01:41:39 PM »

Me too. I was probably one of the most vocal supporters of this DVD being somewhere like South America as opposed to somewhere else like North America, because of the crazy audiences. Not gonna affect the quality of this DVD though. It just could have been the icing on the delicious cake.

You'll get SOME crazy but not as expected. I was very bummed out about it too, to the point of getting angry about it cause even the DT guys seemed let down.

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #673 on: August 23, 2012, 01:44:52 PM »

I recommend you the latest AC/DC DVD. I know you are a hard rock fan, they are from Australia and boy was that crowd sweet.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #674 on: August 23, 2012, 03:06:48 PM »
If this is true about the audience on these two concerts, I'm absolutely shocked and bitterly disappointed. South American fans are known to be more animated, I'm sure the band expected the crowd to be energized, but if they really decided to sit down and barely clap while the band is filming the DVD... Well, if any of you are reading this, you should be ashamed of yourselves.  :tdwn

The DVD is still going to kick some ass, though. But it could sure use a good crowd.

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
« Reply #675 on: August 23, 2012, 03:10:13 PM »
Maybe the crowd sucked by SA standards, but I'm sure it will be better than at least Budokan crowd-wise, no stress about it.

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline robwebster

« Reply #676 on: August 23, 2012, 03:21:43 PM »
I figure the seats might be part of the problem. Seats and cameras - who wants to be the guy who's acting up?

I've been to some very fun seated gigs, and some fairly static standing gigs, but the most animated ones have always been standing and the most static by far was sat down. Always feel a pang of dismay when I find out a gig's sitty-downy.

Offline On the Backs of Eagles

• You shall not pass the crooked step
« Reply #677 on: August 23, 2012, 05:04:03 PM »
Didn't know they had seats there. I have no idea why the band would have wanted that considering they intended to show us "their other side" with a lively crowd and lots of participation. It's a wasted opportunity. A crazy crowd could have been that standout part about this DVD (along with the vastly improved light show). By "global standards" there is probably still a lot of participation though.
All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us

Offline BlaK

« Reply #678 on: August 23, 2012, 05:55:29 PM »
Didn't know they had seats there. I have no idea why the band would have wanted that considering they intended to show us "their other side" with a lively crowd and lots of participation. It's a wasted opportunity. A crazy crowd could have been that standout part about this DVD (along with the vastly improved light show). By "global standards" there is probably still a lot of participation though.

Yes, it WILL be better than Budokan by miles (not that you need that much) and Score also but for me, having attended other DT shows here in Argentina it wasn't very good at all.
You're right though that by "global standards" it will be good, but I guess I expected much more. I wanted that place going absolutely nuts and aside from a couple of songs (Pull Me Under, Metropolis, intro of TDEN and some of TROAE) it was pretty bleh.
I'm sure the guys at Over The Edge will do a great job showcasing the fans that, like me, were actually into it. I jumped over my second row sit to the front on Pull Me Under haha, the guys in front were very cool about it and security didn't say anything cause it was the last song... 30 seconds later people from every seat were crowding the front of the stage jumping and screaming like crazy, best part of the shows by far!!!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #679 on: August 23, 2012, 06:13:03 PM »
Maybe the crowd sucked by SA standards.

I think it sucked period. I don't know if you've seen any of the videos from the Chile show where you can really hear the crowd singing, well, that barely happened that night.

They had already played 4 times in that venue with the seats and all and those 4 times the crowd was amazing. The seats are not to blame.

Offline Mladen

« Reply #680 on: August 24, 2012, 12:54:10 AM »
I don't know if you've seen any of the videos from the Chile show where you can really hear the crowd singing, well, that barely happened that night.
I saw the videos from the Chile show, the audience is awesome. They should have recorded the DVD in Chile. And good for you, Nekov, that you behaved like a fan should, they're definitely gonna cut to you at some point in the DVD.  :biggrin:

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #681 on: August 24, 2012, 01:50:18 AM »
Maybe the mistake was that the venue had seats. I'm sure the crowd would be more lively if it hadn't.

Anyway, if the crowd participation is less than great on the DVD, the Argentinian fans should stop asking "When are you coming to Argentina" all the time, they had their chance :lol

Offline The Curious Orange

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #682 on: August 24, 2012, 03:25:16 AM »
2009-10-10 - Wembley Arena - London, UK
I got ya all beat on truly awful setlists - Wembley 2009 -

1. A Nightmare to Remember
2. The Mirror
3. Lie
4. Prophets of War
5. Wither
6. The Dance of Eternity
7. Percussive Nation 2009- the drum solo that goes on forever and never f**king stops
8. Take the Time
-------------------------
9. The Count of Tuscany

Wither was brilliant, and TCOT was pretty good, but Mirror/Lie was a really lackluster performance, PoW was a terrible choice for a short setlist, and I still wake up screaming with nightmares about that drum spot. The worst DT gig I've been to.
"And if love remains, though everything is lost,
We will pay the price, but we will not count the cost..."

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #683 on: August 24, 2012, 05:57:38 AM »
2009-10-10 - Wembley Arena - London, UK
I got ya all beat on truly awful setlists - Wembley 2009 -

2. The Mirror
3. Lie
4. Prophets of War
5. Wither
6. The Dance of Eternity
7. Percussive Nation 2009- the drum solo that goes on forever and never f**king stops
8. Take the Time
-------------------------
9. The Count of Tuscany

Wither was brilliant, and TCOT was pretty good, but Mirror/Lie was a really lackluster performance, PoW was a terrible choice for a short setlist, and I still wake up screaming with nightmares about that drum spot. The worst DT gig I've been to.
If Take the Time wasn't fucking abridged, it would've been an great set IMO for a pretty short performance. Then again I really like PoW, I basically only like TCOT in a live setting, and you can't blame the songs themselves for a lousy performance; The Mirror / Lie are a great choice. Not the best from Awake, but they're usually extremely fun live.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #684 on: August 24, 2012, 06:05:46 AM »
Oh yeah, I'd seen them play "The Mirror/Lie" 2 years earlier at Hammersmith, and it brought the house down. It's always been one of my favourite DT songs. But if you look at the other setlists from the ProgNation 09 European tour, Wembley got short-changed that night. This was also the last time I saw them with Portnoy, so IMO the break did them good.

Offline robwebster

« Reply #685 on: August 24, 2012, 06:53:11 AM »
Oh yeah, I'd seen them play "The Mirror/Lie" 2 years earlier at Hammersmith, and it brought the house down. It's always been one of my favourite DT songs. But if you look at the other setlists from the ProgNation 09 European tour, Wembley got short-changed that night. This was also the last time I saw them with Portnoy, so IMO the break did them good.
If it's any consolation, Manchester of the same leg wasn't amazing, either. Some good songs, but:

2. A Rite of Passage
3. Keyboard Solo
4. Sacrificed Sons
5. Wither
6. The Dance of Eternity
7. One Last Time
8. The Spirit Carries On
9. In the Name of God
Encore:
10. The Count of Tuscany

I mean, I enjoyed the gig. However - The Count of Tuscany, while a great song, is a rubbish encore. Three minutes to get going, about three minutes of spacey floydy stuff in the middle... by the time the "whoaaaaas" arrive, not only is the audience tired out from the rest of the gig anyway, but they've had the chance to space out, too. And the correct response to a band playing The Dance of Eternity, while impressive, is to stand there and shrug. Clap after the ragtime section, but mostly shrug. One Last Time - nice song, not amazing, and it's certainly not a live song. And The Spirit Carries On is played at every gig. Nice, but it's probably been played more than Pull Me Under over the last seven years.

Sacrificed Sons was good! And In the Name of God. Religious zealots took a fucking pasting at that gig. And though it was predictable, I liked getting all the live songs from Black Clouds & Silver Linings. In the Name of God was the only real "moment" of the night, though. That ain't grand.

I preferred the gigs before Black Clouds came out. I think they were up there alongside the Dramatic Turn tour and the 20th Anniversary Tour as some of the best setlists. I was at Leeds, and I think it's the best gig I've been to bar none:

1. In the Presence of Enemies pt. 1
2. Beyond This Life
3. Misunderstood
4. A Rite of Passage
5. Hollow Years (extended)
6. Caught in a Web
7. Forsaken
8. Erotomania /
9. Voices
10. Solitary Shell (extended)
11. Constant Motion
12. As I Am
Encore:
13. Metropolis Pt. 1 (extended) /
14. Learning to Live /
15. A Change of Seasons

How cool is that?! What a mix - what a balance! And I've still never been able to find a bootleg. Disappointing!

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #686 on: August 24, 2012, 07:06:08 AM »
Maybe the crowd sucked by SA standards, but I'm sure it will be better than at least Budokan crowd-wise, no stress about it.
...or a standard Finnish crowd. Ok, we're more enthusiastic than the Japanese but I bet even a "sucky" South American crowd is more animated! :lol

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #687 on: August 24, 2012, 07:09:12 AM »
To rob - again, I'm a little weird when it comes to setlists, but I think I would enjoy both of the sets you posted equally. Maybe I'd even enjoy the first one more.

I've been to a concert that had a similar set to the second one you posted (Israel @ 2009), with some changes (it had Take the Time and Pull Me Under, some other songs were dropped though). And I didn't have such a good time as far as the setlist goes. The band's energy was fantastic but this set is a little too centered around heavy songs, getting metalheads excited.

The first setlist, though, has A Nightmare to Remember; which has a few moments that are just as heavy but also the "Hopelessly Drifting" section which is probably my favorite moment in BCSL. Wither, One Last Time, Sacrificed Sons and ITNOG are all fantastic songs that I would love to see live. And I do appreciate the instrumentation of TCOT so that's a plus.

I guess I just don't find the second setlist too exciting for too many reasons. From having only the first half of a 2-parts song, to an abridged version of Voices, to a medley that cuts the best parts of 3 of my favorite songs, and of course some of my least favorite songs in both Train of Thought (As I Am), Systematic Chaos (Constant Motion) and Black Clouds (A Rite of Passage). It just falls short.

---

Going back ontopic with the Luna Park's shows - is it wrong to say that I actually hope they'd autotune a few notes? According to some recording James' high note in Far From Heaven was a little flat, and honestly I'd personally rather have a few heavily edited moments here and there to compensate for a few inevitable mistakes. Because otherwise, he's been spot on for the whole tour including both shows.

• Lord of the Night
« Reply #688 on: August 24, 2012, 07:16:02 AM »

I was at Leeds, and I think it's the best gig I've been to bar none...

Yeah, I was at that gig, and I have to agree it's probably the best DT show I've seen. Leeds Academy is the perfect venue to see DT in, even if my ears were ringing for about 3 days afrterwards...

Online jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #689 on: August 24, 2012, 07:34:47 AM »

I was at Leeds, and I think it's the best gig I've been to bar none...

Yeah, I was at that gig, and I have to agree it's probably the best DT show I've seen. Leeds Academy is the perfect venue to see DT in, even if my ears were ringing for about 3 days afrterwards...

Yeah I was there too and it was incredible.  My favourite DT performance was seeing them at High Voltage though.  That was something else.  :metal

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #690 on: August 24, 2012, 08:13:14 AM »
Going back ontopic with the Luna Park's shows - is it wrong to say that I actually hope they'd autotune a few notes? According to some recording James' high note in Far From Heaven was a little flat, and honestly I'd personally rather have a few heavily edited moments here and there to compensate for a few inevitable mistakes. Because otherwise, he's been spot on for the whole tour including both shows.
I think that high note in FFH is little flat on record too.
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #691 on: August 24, 2012, 08:41:46 AM »

2. A Rite of Passage
3. Keyboard Solo
4. Sacrificed Sons
5. Wither
6. The Dance of Eternity
7. One Last Time
8. The Spirit Carries On
9. In the Name of God
Encore:
10. The Count of Tuscany

Ouch. Yeah, some of those Black Clouds sets were pretty bad. I went with a friend, a budding DT fan, to see one of their shows on that tour. What he wanted most was to hear something off Images and Words.

Well? He didn't get to. The played "Voices" but, aside from that, everything else was from SDOIT and onward. He was really disappointed, and I doubt I'll be able to talk him into paying for a DT ticket again. 

That was the doubled-edged sword of those rotating sets that would be based on what was played previously. Sure, they may have played "Metropolis" and "The Spirit Carries On" at the same venue two years ago. But that doesn't mean that, this time, there aren't a bunch of people seeing DT for the first time who want to hear those classic songs. Plus, a diehard who's seen DT on every tour for ten years in a row doesn't necessarily want to hear "Prophets of War" instead of one of those classics-- even if DT never played it live before.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #692 on: August 24, 2012, 09:20:56 AM »

That was the doubled-edged sword of those rotating sets that would be based on what was played previously. Sure, they may have played "Metropolis" and "The Spirit Carries On" at the same venue two years ago. But that doesn't mean that, this time, there aren't a bunch of people seeing DT for the first time who want to hear those classic songs. Plus, a diehard who's seen DT on every tour for ten years in a row doesn't necessarily want to hear "Prophets of War" instead of one of those classics-- even if DT never played it live before.

Could not agree.  Don't get me wrong, Portnoy usually did a good job with the set lists, but times like that are when he outsmarted himself and did a bunch of different things just to be different, IMO.  Or when certain cities only got certain surprises. Like when A Change of Seasons was brought back and played here and there on the Train of Thought tour.  Sure, it was great for those of us who got it in our city, but it had to suck for those in cities who didn't get it, especially if they read online that it had been brought back.  Nowadays, if the band brings back a song that hasn't been played in a while, like 6:00 or Ytse Jam, they play it every night, in every city, which is the way it should be.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #693 on: August 24, 2012, 09:25:38 AM »
Like when A Change of Seasons was brought back and played here and there on the Train of Thought tour.  Sure, it was great for those of us who got it in our city, but it had to suck for those in cities who didn't get it, especially if they read online that it had been brought back. 

Especially when your city was probably supposed to get it, but didn't because the show started 25 minutes late due to technical difficulties with new video system.  >:(
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #694 on: August 24, 2012, 09:55:30 AM »
Like when A Change of Seasons was brought back and played here and there on the Train of Thought tour.  Sure, it was great for those of us who got it in our city, but it had to suck for those in cities who didn't get it, especially if they read online that it had been brought back. 

Especially when your city was probably supposed to get it, but didn't because the show started 25 minutes late due to technical difficulties with new video system.  >:(

San Diego, right? I've always thought that setlist was poor if compared to most of the others from the same tour.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #695 on: August 24, 2012, 10:56:44 AM »
I think that high note in FFH is little flat on record too.
I meant that he missed the note he hit in the recorded version, no matter if the original one is a little flat or not. Since I've heard it that way for dozens of times I'm used to it even if there's a mistake in the original.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #696 on: August 24, 2012, 11:39:58 AM »

San Diego, right? I've always thought that setlist was poor if compared to most of the others from the same tour.

San Francisco.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #697 on: August 24, 2012, 11:46:48 AM »
We didn't get Finally Free, as planned, at the end of our first set at our show because of the video screen problems.  Not sure what the deal was with that on that tour. ??? ???

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #698 on: August 24, 2012, 11:50:34 AM »
We didn't get Finally Free, as planned, at the end of our first set at our show because of the video screen problems.  Not sure what the deal was with that on that tour. ??? ???

Bologna lost the encore (A Change Of Seasons, once again) because Jordan's rig went down at the end of ITNOG, or so I have been told.
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline Tomislav95

« Reply #699 on: August 24, 2012, 12:00:12 PM »

Bologna lost the encore (A Change Of Seasons, once again) because Jordan's rig went down at the end of ITNOG, or so I have been told.
That's saddest story ever :'(
...the years just pass like trains
I wave but they don't slow down...