Author Topic: 2012-08-19/20 - Luna Park - Buenos Aires, ARG (being filmed for DVD)  (Read 129955 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: 2012-08-19/20 - Luna Park - Buenos Aires, ARG (being filmed for DVD)
« Reply #630 on: August 21, 2012, 09:28:35 PM »
I really don't think I can wait more than 5 months for this Blu-ray.

Sure you can... Go enjoy a new musical discovery. I suggest David Gray  ;)
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #631 on: August 21, 2012, 10:03:51 PM »
Wonder if they will do a CD combination with this.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #632 on: August 21, 2012, 10:06:20 PM »
There really isn't any reason that they wouldn't do a CD combination with the DVD. I don't have a blu-ray player, so I will get the CD/DVD combo if that becomes available. I like to be able to easily get the audio tracks to put them on my iPod so I can listen to the concert without having to watch the video all the time. It seems like a common sense decision to me, imho.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline jcmistat

« Reply #633 on: August 21, 2012, 10:11:17 PM »
Yeah that makes 100% sense. I don't have a blu-ray player either so CD/DVD for me. There's no point since I don't have a giant TV the quality difference will impossible to notice.

What about the blu-ray having extra content that wouldn't be on the DVD? Better not! 

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #634 on: August 21, 2012, 10:53:55 PM »
Yeah that makes 100% sense. I don't have a blu-ray player either so CD/DVD for me. There's no point since I don't have a giant TV the quality difference will impossible to notice.

What about the blu-ray having extra content that wouldn't be on the DVD? Better not! 

I imagine they won't have blu-ray exclusive extras. I myself will probably buy the Bluray video and the CD version from iTunes.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #635 on: August 21, 2012, 11:02:27 PM »

CIAW doesn't have a proper representation post-5 Years in a Livetime (LSFNY version was a mess, and JLB's voice cracked in Chile 2005). CIM's version of TDEN is probably one of its weakest performances. 6:00 barely has any representation other than Awake in Japan, and These Walls is one of the few songs from Octavarium they didn't feature on Score, I'm psyched to see a proper version of it (we have Romavarium and other bootlegs, but meh).

Yep, yep.  I am hopeful that the live version of These Walls will make me like the song more.  I think the flat production of OV doesn't help its cause in regards to the studio version.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #636 on: August 21, 2012, 11:26:34 PM »
I'll have to buy the Blu-Ray and the CD(s).

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #637 on: August 21, 2012, 11:42:47 PM »
For example this is how Porcupine Tree did it. Both DVD and BluRay and DVD in the package, the DVD being a waste for the BluRay player owner but fair to the DVD player owner. The waste isn't that huge since the price range is still reasonable.
I would love a CD release as well, a separate one like they did with LSFNY and L@B but if I don't get it I'm pretty sure I'll find a decent audio rip of the BluRay that would sound just as good.
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline Cyclopssss

• Vocal Dinosaur pre-heat combustable
  • Connoseur of love
« Reply #638 on: August 22, 2012, 01:39:01 AM »
Well, colour me slightly disappointed. I remember reading a quote from James somewhere stating something in the vain of 'You guys will flip!' Well, reading that setlist I don't flip. I'm sure it's going to be a great dvd, though. Great pic and sound, and I'm hoping some nice surprises in the extra bits. I do need a good dvd of this tour, since I haven't been to see them this time around. 
From the ocean comes the notion that the realise lies in rhythm. The rhythm of vision is dancer, and when you dance you´re always on the one. From the looking comes to see, wondrous realise real eyes....

Offline Mladen

« Reply #639 on: August 22, 2012, 06:27:21 AM »
Well, lets talk about what' actually going to be released. I know they filmed both nights, but I seriously doubt both will be released. I think they'll release the first night as the official DVD, and use some moments from the second night if they need some things to fix, like to cover some mistakes, overdub something here and there.

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #640 on: August 22, 2012, 06:54:19 AM »
Mladen Most likely both nights will be mixed into one long feature. Repeated songs will be mixed together for best shots, that's how proshot home releases are usually made when the source is two or three consecutive nights at the same venue.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2012, 12:37:52 PM by Progmetty »
I wouldn't want somebody with 18 kids to mow my damn lawn, based on a longstanding bias I have against crazy fucks.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #641 on: August 22, 2012, 06:57:00 AM »
Mladen Most likely both nights will be mixed into one long feature. Repeated songs will be mixed together for best shots, that's how proshot home releases are usually made when the source is two of three consecutive nights at the same venue.

This is the most likely scenario. I don't see any reason for them to exclude anything from the two shot nights, excluding the duplicates where they have a choice of the best performance.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #642 on: August 22, 2012, 08:07:08 AM »
I think people are very paranoid about the way the editing will be done. Easy, folks. It will be alright.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #643 on: August 22, 2012, 09:02:56 AM »
I think people are very paranoid about the way the editing will be done. Easy, folks. It will be alright.

So this.

Offline DTFan0789

« Reply #644 on: August 22, 2012, 09:52:27 AM »

Wait, there's music other than Dream Theater?
"The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." - George Orwell, 1984

Offline Pinga

« Reply #645 on: August 22, 2012, 11:35:06 AM »
Any official word on what will be included? I'm hoping everything except repeats, obviously. Would make for one sweet package.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #646 on: August 22, 2012, 01:20:11 PM »
I don't know what you're talking about, man.  :biggrin:

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #647 on: August 22, 2012, 01:20:45 PM »
Any official word on what will be included? I'm hoping everything except repeats, obviously. Would make for one sweet package.
That probably won't happen until an official tracklist for the DVD is released.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #648 on: August 22, 2012, 02:24:35 PM »

Wait, there's music other than Dream Theater?

No. Every attempt at music outside Dream Theater and related projects sucks massive testicles full of creative mediocracy.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #649 on: August 23, 2012, 09:02:50 AM »
After a couple of days to wear off the excitement there is something I need to say. Out of the 7 shows I've attended these were by far the worse due to 3 main reasons:

1) Sound: It seems to me that they were so concentrated in recording the DVD that they forgot they were playing for a live audience. If you were sitting in the bottom part the sound was really good (except for James, he was low) but if you were anywhere else there were mayor sound problems, either some instruments being too high, James and JMX being too low.

2) Setlist: I love BITS, BAI and BTS but I really don't care for the rest of the album. Having witnessed a lot of those songs on both nights plus only getting a couple of additional songs that were among the classics made both of these the worst set lists I've witnessed by them. I was expecting the second night to be more different from the first night.

3) Crowd: The crowd was nowhere near as good as the previous times I've seen them and I think it was mostly because of the two points stated above. The combination of bad quality sound plus a not really interesting set of songs brought the energy of the show down. Whenever the DVD is out you will be able to see the difference on how the crowd reacts to LNF or BMU BMD compared to PMU or Metropolis.

That being said, I don't regret attending both nights as DT is my favorite band and in spite of this I had a good time though not as good as I expected it to be.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #650 on: August 23, 2012, 09:13:21 AM »
Regarding #2, hopefully that wouldn't have been a surprise to anyone.  DT has always HEAVILY featured whatever their current album is on any given tour--more so than a lot of bands, especially older bands who tend to tour more on the "classics" and sprinkle in a few newer tunes here and there.  I guess it's kind of a bummer for people who may not like whatever the newest album is.  But for fans like me who love the new stuff, it's great.  Honestly, the two shows I saw this tour are some of the best shows I have ever seen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #651 on: August 23, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
While that is true, the previous times I saw them they played a couple songs one night and a couple other songs the second night. This time around they played almost the whole album on both nights.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #652 on: August 23, 2012, 09:42:20 AM »

2) Setlist: I love BITS, BAI and BTS but I really don't care for the rest of the album. Having witnessed a lot of those songs on both nights plus only getting a couple of additional songs that were among the classics made both of these the worst set lists I've witnessed by them. I was expecting the second night to be more different from the first night.

Why?  The band has said in the last year that while some songs will still be rotated from night to night, that they won't rotate as heavily as in the past, as they like having more of a static set list every night, so expecting a completely different set list was just unrealistic, IMO.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #653 on: August 23, 2012, 10:32:36 AM »
In the interviews prior to the show they said they would be rotating songs and they talked about surprises and awesome shows. All of that made me think that the shows would be more different. Obviously I blew it out of proportion.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #654 on: August 23, 2012, 11:29:32 AM »
Think of it this way:

Them doing an acoustic set every single night for most of the last year was pretty special.  Now, had they done that five years ago, they might have saved it for that one big show, but the band did it one better by featuring that little set at every show, which, in the words of Scotty, was "especially special" ;), especially when you consider they had never done that before in the midst of their normal shows (in other words, not a show dedicated to just that, aka Rotterdam).  It's just that this time around, fans got it at every show, instead of just the fans at one show.  More fans getting something really cool and rare is always a good thing.

Plus, when you look at the set lists of the past year, unless you aren't crazy about ADTOE, I am not sure how anyone can have a beef.  The set were well-rounded and featured a nice mixture of new songs, classics, rockers and the acoustic set.

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #655 on: August 23, 2012, 12:02:32 PM »
I totally get what you are saying. But I'm comparing these shows to the ones I've been to before as listed below

1. A Nightmare to Remember
2. A Rite of Passage
3. Hollow Years (extended)
4. Prophets of War
5. The Dance of Eternity
6. One Last Time
7. The Spirit Carries On
8. In the Name of God
------------------------
9. The Count of Tuscany

1. A Nightmare to Remember
2. Beyond This Life
3. The Mirror
4. Lie
5. Wither
6. Solitary Shell (extended)
7. Sacrificed Sons
8. Pull Me Under/Metropolis
-------------------------
9. The Count of Tuscany

1.  2008: An Ant Odyssey (intro video)
2.  Also sprach Zarathustra
3.  Constant Motion
4.  Never Enough
5.  Endless Sacrifice
6.  The Dark Eternal Night
7.  Home
8.  Misunderstood
9.  Erotomania
10.  Voices
11.  Forsaken
12.  Take the Time (abridged)
~~~encore~~~
13.  In the Presence of Enemies

3.  Constant Motion
4.  Panic Attack
5.  Blind Faith
6.  Surrounded ‘07
7.  The Dark Eternal Night
8.  keyboard solo
9.  Lines in the Sand
10.  I Walk Beside You
11.  As I Am
12.  The Ministry of Lost Souls
~~~encore~~~
13.  Medley:
14.  I Trial of Tears
15.  II Finally Free
16.  III Learning to Live
17.  IV In the Name of God
18.  V Octavarium

In the Name of God outro (intro tape)
1.  The Root of All Evil
2.  Panic Attack
3.  A Fortune in Lies
4.  Under a Glass Moon
5.  Caught In a Web
6.  Peruvian jam/
7.  Peruvian Skies (w/ Wish You Were Here (Pink Floyd) and Wherever I May Roam (Metallica))
8.  Strange Deja Vu
9.  Solitary Shell
10.  About To Crash (Reprise)
11.  Losing Time/Grand Finale
~~~intermission~~~
12.  As I Am
13.  Endless Sacrifice
14.  I Walk Beside You
15.  Sacrificed Sons
16.  Octavarium
~~~encore~~~
17.  The Spirit Carries On
18.  Learning To Live (w/ extended instrumental section)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #656 on: August 23, 2012, 12:13:23 PM »
Although there's some good stuff in there, I much prefer the recent sets.  (although that second one is pretty awesome)
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #657 on: August 23, 2012, 12:30:34 PM »
I love these set lists. Was watching a show from Prague, and the atmosphere for WIMH/TTTSTA is some of their best. Those Eyes and the spirals mixed with the lighting all add to those songs. That's what i'm excited to see captured, I thought Scores setlist could've been way better, yet this one is solid.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #658 on: August 23, 2012, 12:35:16 PM »
Although there's some good stuff in there, I much prefer the recent sets.  (although that second one is pretty awesome)

That one was pretty special because on the second chorus of lie they stopped playing and turned off the lights, letting the crowd alone sing that part.  :)

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #659 on: August 23, 2012, 12:56:33 PM »
Regarding #1 Nekov there seems to have been a lot of complaints about how loud it gets through out the N.A tour. I could hardly hear any bass at the concert I went to.
#2 I know it's a fan to fan taste difference thing but I'll take either Luna Park setlists over any of your previous set lists any day, again and again. Well, I'd stop at that set list that ends with ItPoE for a minute of hesitation and then proceed to chose the current set lists :lol
Just a matter of different tastes I know, but they call a band "ballsy" when they play set dominated by new material instead of hits and fan favorites. Myself I think it's the quality and the reception of the new material that gives the band the balls to do so.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #660 on: August 23, 2012, 01:00:18 PM »
I'll take any set list that doesn't have Constant Motion over any set list that does any day of the week, and ending a set with The Ministry of Lost Souls has to be boredom personified. :lol :biggrin:

In fact:

3.  Constant Motion
4.  Panic Attack
5.  Blind Faith
6.  Surrounded ‘07
7.  The Dark Eternal Night
8.  keyboard solo
9.  Lines in the Sand
10.  I Walk Beside You
11.  As I Am
12.  The Ministry of Lost Souls
~~~encore~~~
13.  Medley:
14.  I Trial of Tears
15.  II Finally Free
16.  III Learning to Live
17.  IV In the Name of God
18.  V Octavarium

Despite the presence of Lines in the Sand and Blind Faith, that might be one of the ugliest set lists ever.  Ending the regular set with I Walk Beside You, As I Am and The Ministry of Lost Souls.  Good God. :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Offline Progmetty

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #661 on: August 23, 2012, 01:04:04 PM »
Yeah that one is pretty horrid hehe

Offline BlaK

« Reply #662 on: August 23, 2012, 01:04:16 PM »
After a couple of days to wear off the excitement there is something I need to say. Out of the 7 shows I've attended these were by far the worse due to 3 main reasons:

1) Sound: It seems to me that they were so concentrated in recording the DVD that they forgot they were playing for a live audience. If you were sitting in the bottom part the sound was really good (except for James, he was low) but if you were anywhere else there were mayor sound problems, either some instruments being too high, James and JMX being too low.

3) Crowd: The crowd was nowhere near as good as the previous times I've seen them and I think it was mostly because of the two points stated above. The combination of bad quality sound plus a not really interesting set of songs brought the energy of the show down. Whenever the DVD is out you will be able to see the difference on how the crowd reacts to LNF or BMU BMD compared to PMU or Metropolis.

That being said, I don't regret attending both nights as DT is my favorite band and in spite of this I had a good time though not as good as I expected it to be.

1: I could barely hear James on both nights. I was in the first row over to Petrucci's side on the first night, and the second row right in front of Jordan on monday. The sound wasn't BAD but it had a few flaws.

2: Really liked the setlist. I usually don't like WIMH/TTTSTA but it was very good here. But I like the new album so... (you're right about the crowd having very different reactions to songs from other albums though, but that's normal)

3: The crowd, for the most part, SUCKED. In comparison to other shows (especially 2005 at Obras) it was awful. That was the big letdown for me. My area on the first night wasn't excited at ALL. Barely clapping, almost no screaming, just awful. I was really pissed but enjoyed myself anyway. People on the 3rd row were actually SITTING WATCHING THE SCREEN on a bunch of songs. Why the hell are you even there? Wait for the DVD! Ugh... (as a fellow argentinian you'll get what I'm saying)
The second night was a bit better (awesome on Pull Me Under for example) but not that much. Petrucci actually HAD TO ASK PEOPLE TO NOT SIT on These Walls. As soon as the verse started people started sitting and he made a gesture like: "What are you guys doing? Get up!" I think most people saw him cause we remained standing for the rest of the show except on the acoustic set.
I really thought Luna Park would explode. They were shooting a DVD, are you kidding me? People didn't even seem all that excited to be there.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #663 on: August 23, 2012, 01:06:25 PM »
I would take every single one of those setlists over the Luna Park ones any day, not even a comparison. :tup :tup

And that's even in spite of Lie, Never Enough, IWBY, PoW being included.

edit: And I don't mean to say there's anything wrong with the Luna Park setlists at all, it's more to do with my indifference towards ADTOE and Awake, and very much underpresenting most of my favourite DT albums. Personal preference. :)
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 01:16:37 PM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #664 on: August 23, 2012, 01:22:23 PM »
3: The crowd, for the most part, SUCKED. In comparison to other shows (especially 2005 at Obras) it was awful. That was the big letdown for me. My area on the first night wasn't excited at ALL. Barely clapping, almost no screaming, just awful. I was really pissed but enjoyed myself anyway. People on the 3rd row were actually SITTING WATCHING THE SCREEN on a bunch of songs. Why the hell are you even there? Wait for the DVD! Ugh... (as a fellow argentinian you'll get what I'm saying)
The second night was a bit better (awesome on Pull Me Under for example) but not that much. Petrucci actually HAD TO ASK PEOPLE TO NOT SIT on These Walls. As soon as the verse started people started sitting and he made a gesture like: "What are you guys doing? Get up!" I think most people saw him cause we remained standing for the rest of the show except on the acoustic set.
I really thought Luna Park would explode. They were shooting a DVD, are you kidding me? People didn't even seem all that excited to be there.

Really?  Fans in South America are known for being super enthusiastic.  I'm kinda bummed the fans at this show weren't as into it.  I wonder why.  Oh well, I guess we have our title for the DVD set:  "Don't Mosh For Me, Argentina."  :lol