Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308395 times)

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #2835 on: April 03, 2013, 10:42:28 AM »
Is this an MTV 80's Roulette song of the day?

You guys need to work on your puns.........with feeling.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2836 on: April 03, 2013, 11:14:13 AM »
I can't take any more of this.  I'm out.  Have a Nice Day.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #2837 on: April 03, 2013, 11:18:39 AM »
Ride Cozmo Ride!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2838 on: April 03, 2013, 11:24:05 AM »
I can't take any more of this.  I'm out.  Have a Nice Day.

Come on, keep the faith.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2839 on: April 03, 2013, 12:05:45 PM »
Bon Jovi - Wanted Dead or Alive

Loved this one back in the day but... it didn't age well at all.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2840 on: April 03, 2013, 12:12:45 PM »
It aged just fine with me.  In fact, we'll be performing it in our set at a diabetes charity ride next month.  :metal
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #2841 on: April 03, 2013, 02:11:49 PM »
Excellent song.  People always seem to dig this song and this is one of those solos where its simplicity is its greatest asset.  It is perfect as it is.  Anything faster or more showy would've been all wrong.

Generally have never been really big on rock songs where the band compares themselves to cowboys

One of my bands is working on Modern Day Cowboy.  :lol

That's another exception to my rule, actually  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #2842 on: April 03, 2013, 09:36:48 PM »
I still listen to my Bon Jovi greatest hits collection now and then, and this song is of course a highlight. I've never felt compelled to go and buy actual Bon Jovi albums, though.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2843 on: April 04, 2013, 12:02:49 AM »
Def Leppard - Rocket

I thought this was by far the best of the hits from the Hysteria record back then, and I still think that.  Very good hard rock song, and I think the many classic rock references in the lyrics are pretty neat.  I get why it wasn't as big a hit as songs like Love Bites and Pour Some Sugar on Me, but not only was it better than them back then, but it has aged a lot better than them as well, IMO.

Online jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #2844 on: April 04, 2013, 05:33:54 AM »
Def Leppard - Rocket

I thought this was by far the best of the hits from the Hysteria record back then, and I still think that.  Very good hard rock song, and I think the many classic rock references in the lyrics are pretty neat.  I get why it wasn't as big a hit as songs like Love Bites and Pour Some Sugar on Me, but not only was it better than them back then, but it has aged a lot better than them as well, IMO.

My second fav on the album... I always preferred Animal to it.  This too is another killer album, although I'll concede its commercial success was far greater than was warranted. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2845 on: April 04, 2013, 05:37:05 AM »
I still like Pour Some Sugar On Me better (and Animal), partially because it doesn't have that pointless meandering nothing section in the middle dragging it down, but aside from that Rocket is still a pretty good song.
I don't agree it's aged any better than the rest of the album though. It's all about the same level of dated to me. I'm the last person to have a problem with that though, so I don't mean anything negative by that. But it's all super '80s.

But I agree it's a buttload better than Love Bites, which just.......... well, bites.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2846 on: April 04, 2013, 07:39:54 AM »
I know it was the "80's sound" and a lot of people love it, but Def Leppard's vocals always sound distorted to me.  The harmonies are great, but it always sounds like they got pushed too much.  When it's just lead vocals, it's okay, but once those harmonies come in, it sounds like shit.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #2847 on: April 04, 2013, 07:42:41 AM »
That was the thing I always noticed.  People always go on about the production value of DL's vocals.  I always noticed that same overdriven sound on all the vocals.  It's like someone turned the gain knob on the vocal channels up just to the point where they start to break up a little.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2848 on: April 04, 2013, 07:46:38 AM »
Exactly.  They're redlining, hard.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2849 on: April 04, 2013, 08:41:23 AM »
Def Leppard - Rocket

It was actually my least favorite of all the singles, and at the time, I didn't really understand why they even released it.  But it has aged very well for me.  I think by the time the video dropped, I was already off at boot camp, so I don't recall the video.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2850 on: April 04, 2013, 09:07:23 AM »
In regards to Def Leppard's harmonies, I agree; they did often sound a bit weird or over-processed or whatever.  But I guess I learned to overlook it if I liked the song enough, like in the case of one like Rocket.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2851 on: April 04, 2013, 09:26:13 AM »
This was my least favorite single off Hysteria at the time (which was my favorite album for a while) but at this point, one of the better aged ones. When I revisited DL recently after a long break, I was surprised how much I enjoyed Rocket.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2852 on: April 04, 2013, 11:01:04 AM »
In regards to Def Leppard's harmonies, I agree; they did often sound a bit weird or over-processed or whatever.  But I guess I learned to overlook it if I liked the song enough, like in the case of one like Rocket.

That was all about the producer, Mutt Lange more than anything.  His style.  Kev, mabye you can remember this too but I think they talked about the gang chants/harmonies were like 100 overdubs.  Something crazy like that.  I thought I saw it on some doc.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #2853 on: April 04, 2013, 12:26:21 PM »
Def Leppard - Rocket

Besides Animal, Rocket's probably aged the best out of all of Hysteria - and this is coming from someone who spun the holy SHIT out of that album.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #2854 on: April 04, 2013, 01:34:50 PM »
Def Leppard - Rocket

Besides Animal, Rocket's probably aged the best out of all of Hysteria - and this is coming from someone who spun the holy SHIT out of that album.

never get tired of hearing the title track.  I'm also a big fan of "Gods of War."
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2855 on: April 04, 2013, 01:43:40 PM »

That was all about the producer, Mutt Lange more than anything.  His style.  Kev, mabye you can remember this too but I think they talked about the gang chants/harmonies were like 100 overdubs.  Something crazy like that.  I thought I saw it on some doc.

I don't remember hearing anything about it.  I know Queen was a big influence on Def Leppard, but while the former's harmonies always sound natural (like a big choir or something), the latter's sounded artificial and overdone more often than not, because they layered it on too thick.

Offline FreezingPoint

« Reply #2856 on: April 04, 2013, 05:51:02 PM »

I don't remember hearing anything about it.  I know Queen was a big influence on Def Leppard, but while the former's harmonies always sound natural (like a big choir or something), the latter's sounded artificial and overdone more often than not, because they layered it on too thick.

That was the whole goal. On the Classic Albums - Hysteria, they talk about how Mutt and them wanted to make it sound big and larger than life. A "Star Wars" for music kind of philosophy. I love the Def Leppard vocal sound. I wish I could get something resembling even a 10th of that. It's kind of amazing, given all of today's technology and audio plug-in's, there's still no easy way to get that sound.
avenuex.bandcamp.com

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2857 on: April 05, 2013, 05:36:54 AM »
Thanks man!  That's where I remember seeing it.  I was a crazy amount of overdubs.  Iremeber when Mutt recorded for Brian Adams (Waking Up The Neighbors) that he did those kind of chantas on that album as well for the anthematic songs.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2858 on: April 05, 2013, 08:04:31 AM »
When I first listened to Hysteria, I was already familiar with Women, which sounded enough like Pyromania to not be alienating. Then I got to Rocket and was basically left saying "what the fuck is this?"  :lol While it still sounded like Def Leppard, it had such an odd structure, lacked anything resembling a conventional guitar solo (which happened a LOT on Hysteria) and just felt generally weird other than the chorus, which was where most of the old Leppard sound was. Once I wrapped my head around what the band was doing on Hysteria, I grew to like the song, but it was on the lower end of the singles off the album, along with Armageddon It. Sometimes I think they released that and Rocket just so they could say the whole first side of the longest vinyl album to date had been released as singles.  :lol
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2859 on: April 05, 2013, 10:31:11 AM »
Toto - Rosanna

The other big Toto hit from 1982, this was about as popular as Africa, IIRC, but I never thought it was nearly as good.  Good song, sure, but not one I was ever bananas about it, and not one I really revisit that much anymore. 

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2860 on: April 05, 2013, 10:39:47 AM »
I love singing the harmony parts that Steve Lukather sings and the fade out  guitar solo is really cool.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2861 on: April 05, 2013, 10:52:35 AM »
Not sure which I prefer out of this and Africa. I think they're both great.

I love all of the changes throughout the song, the way it has the softer section with the harmonies, then the big fill to the louder section. A perfect example of dynamics in a song that you wouldn't get so much today. The production is top notch too.
I've always found the structure of the song to be pretty interesting, and I don't really keep track of what's a verse or a chorus. The song is like a lot of sections stuck together, but it works.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2862 on: April 05, 2013, 10:58:03 AM »
for some reason, the synth solo always reminded me of the music that plays during Disney's Electric Light Parade
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2863 on: April 05, 2013, 11:00:15 AM »
I just remembered, I once had a dream (or nightmare?) about this music video, with that closeup of Bobby Kimball. Not a photogenic band by any stretch. :lol

Offline Jaq

« Reply #2864 on: April 05, 2013, 11:01:24 AM »
Best part of this song-Lukather's fade out solo-either isn't in the video or is cut extensively, I can't remember.

This actually is old enough to have made the classic rock thread of the day. Which is actually kind of sad.  :rollin

I just remembered, I once had a dream (or nightmare?) about this music video, with that closeup of Bobby Kimball. Not a photogenic band by any stretch. :lol

Toto DID have great faces for radio.  :rollin Actually, Toto looked like a LOT of 70s bands did; it wasn't until the 80s and MTV where everyone suddenly seemed to be a photogenic rock god. Really, go look at band pictures from the 70s, those fuckers were uniformly pretty ugly in the rock end of the pool.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2865 on: April 05, 2013, 11:03:16 AM »
I didn't actually plan on featuring Toto in both threads today, but after I did Rosanna here, I was like, hey, Hold the Line is a classic rock staple, so I'll do that one today in the other thread! I'm smart. :biggrin:

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2866 on: April 05, 2013, 11:10:28 AM »
Another great Toto song.

The verses are pretty clear, "Not quite a year" starts the pre-chorus, and "Meet you all the way" is the chorus.  After the break, we come back to a pre-chorus.  The extra jam at the end is just an extended coda.

This song came on the radio one time, and my wife pointed out that the guy who wrote it was obsessed with Rosanna Arquette.  My daughter said "Really?" and I said "Yes, he loves her so much, he's not just gonna meet her halfway, he's gonna meet her all the way."  Which, if you think about it, doesn't make any sense.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2867 on: April 05, 2013, 11:13:49 AM »
Another great Toto song.

The verses are pretty clear, "Not quite a year" starts the pre-chorus, and "Meet you all the way" is the chorus.  After the break, we come back to a pre-chorus.  The extra jam at the end is just an extended coda.

Yeah, that makes complete sense, it's just that the "meet you all the way" bit never jumped out to me as more "chorus-y" than the "Not quite a year bit", since they're both repeating Roseanna endlessly. But I actually like that about the song.

Online Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2868 on: April 05, 2013, 11:16:34 AM »
Yeah, they weren't afraid to mess with the norms, which was something cool about them.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #2869 on: April 05, 2013, 11:17:57 AM »
I gotta say, I am surprised by how much chatter Toto is getting in both threads.  Sometimes when I post a song, especially in this here 80s thread, I think that it might only get a few replies, but Toto I wasn't sure about.