Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 313039 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #1365 on: September 29, 2012, 10:47:41 PM »
Mötley Crüe - Dr. Feelgood

Simply put, this song flat out rocks.  The video wasn't anything memorable, IMO, but this is easily one of their two or three songs. 

Offline Cedar redaC

• DTF.org Member
  • Streams of Light Unite With Water
« Reply #1366 on: September 29, 2012, 10:57:46 PM »
My high school jazz band did a cover of it.
Perhaps you should ask bosk to reverse the "e" and "a" in the second half of your user name.
Cedar redaC swoops in for the kill!

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1367 on: September 29, 2012, 11:13:32 PM »
My favourite Crue song. It's got that heavy D riff to kick it off, a great drum beat throughout, not to mention it sounds pretty damn heavy on good speakers.

And there were two versions of the music video for this one, right? One with the drug dealer storyline, and one without? Been a while since I've watched it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1368 on: September 30, 2012, 12:13:20 AM »
Best song from that album for sure!

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1369 on: September 30, 2012, 04:14:47 AM »
That friggin' "chug chug" guitar riff in the opening is killer.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #1370 on: October 01, 2012, 12:01:20 AM »
Crüe at it's best, love this song.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1371 on: October 01, 2012, 12:52:10 PM »
Night Ranger - When You Close Your Eyes

My fondest memory of this song is going to a record store with my cousin, Maureen, so she could buy the 45 of it on vinyl.  We both liked the song a lot, and she had a big crush on Jack Blades. Haha.  Those were the days, when so many singles were out, and most of them had their own cover, which was usually different from the album cover the song came from. That was good stuff. :coolio

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1372 on: October 01, 2012, 01:27:17 PM »
Loved that song - still do, given a little thought about it.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1373 on: October 01, 2012, 01:54:57 PM »
Loved Night Ranger.  7 Wishes tour was ass kicking.  Great live energy and that song came off very well live.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1374 on: October 01, 2012, 04:20:20 PM »
Great song, great band. Saw Night Ranger open for Kansas at a local club when Kansas was touring for In The Spirit Of Things, and they put on a kick ass show. Night Ranger was, honestly, one of my favorite bands of the 80s, kind of regret not catching them as a headliner.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: October 01, 2012, 06:00:06 PM »
Very good band

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #1376 on: October 01, 2012, 06:39:04 PM »
Horrible. The original Winger!
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1377 on: October 01, 2012, 07:14:38 PM »
Great song, great band. Saw Night Ranger open for Kansas at a local club when Kansas was touring for In The Spirit Of Things, and they put on a kick ass show. Night Ranger was, honestly, one of my favorite bands of the 80s, kind of regret not catching them as a headliner.

I wish I would've been able to catch them live back in the day.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: October 01, 2012, 07:49:24 PM »
Horrible. The original Winger!

:lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1379 on: October 03, 2012, 05:14:02 PM »
John Cougar - Jack and Diane

I am listing it under what his name was at the time of the release. Anyway, I liked this song a lot when it was first out, but I am pretty ambivalent towards it now.  I don't dislike it, but it is just kind of there for me.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1380 on: October 03, 2012, 05:29:23 PM »
It's not the best song he's ever done, but it's not the worst either.  I'm opposite of you though, Kev - I couldn't STAND "Jack and Diane" back in the day, but it's grown on me over the years.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1381 on: October 03, 2012, 05:43:36 PM »
The first several times I heard this song were on MTv (of course) and there's a serious drawback to that: our TV had really crappy speakers.  No bass at all, so that hook line where all the guitars stop and bass hums on was completely lost.  I thought it was a completely stupid hook.  Then I eventually heard it on the radio and heard the bass hum, and it improved the hook immensely.

That's still not saying a lot.  It took the song from a 4 to maybe a 6 on a scale from 1 to 10.  Over the years, with some perspective of my own, I've come to appreciate the song a little more for its message and its story.  It's up to a 7 now.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1382 on: October 03, 2012, 05:48:25 PM »
Very good tune that MTV destroyed for me.  It was on every hour it seemed.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1383 on: October 03, 2012, 07:23:40 PM »
ah yes - my first favorite song when I was 5.  I remember riding in my brother's car (he would have been 16) at the time and this song coming on the radio.  I thought it was the best thing I'd ever heard.  He took me to get an ice cream cone that day and then to the local arcade joint where we unloaded many quarters.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1384 on: October 03, 2012, 09:22:44 PM »
I always thought John Cougar was far more fun to listen to than the overly earnest, look at me, I'm serious here John Mellencamp was. His version of I Need A Lover manages to sound like a ten minute, ridiculously over the top epic in half that in actual running time. That being said, given my name is Jack, I came to LOATHE this song as a young man, simply for all the "Hey where's Diane?" lines.  :rollin

I remember around the time this was a hit there was a live version floating around FM radio that turned the part after the drums came in into a flat out, full band rocker that probably raised the roof on any venue that John Cougar played in on that tour. That version I didn't mind as much.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1385 on: October 04, 2012, 09:54:09 AM »
I always thought John Cougar was far more fun to listen to than the overly earnest, look at me, I'm serious here John Mellencamp was. His version of I Need A Lover manages to sound like a ten minute, ridiculously over the top epic in half that in actual running time. That being said, given my name is Jack, I came to LOATHE this song as a young man, simply for all the "Hey where's Diane?" lines.  :rollin

I remember around the time this was a hit there was a live version floating around FM radio that turned the part after the drums came in into a flat out, full band rocker that probably raised the roof on any venue that John Cougar played in on that tour. That version I didn't mind as much.

Hey, where's Diane??

:biggrin: :biggrin:

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1386 on: October 04, 2012, 10:23:56 AM »
Shut up, Kev  :rollin

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1387 on: October 04, 2012, 10:40:42 AM »
His version of I Need A Lover manages to sound like a ten minute, ridiculously over the top epic in half that in actual running time.

I always loved his version of "I Need a Lover" for pretty much the same reason.  The intro takes its time, even includes a piano break, and the verses alternate with guitar breaks, spreading a very simple song out into something that seems much more.  Also, the lyrics crack me up.  Someone who'll thrill me and then go away.  Somebody that knows the meaning of "Hey, hit the highway!"  Rock and roll!

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1388 on: October 04, 2012, 01:22:53 PM »
Cheap Trick - The Flame

This song was hugely popular in 1988 - I think it was one of the most popular songs of the year on the charts - and MTV played the crap out of the video, but I was never much of a fan of it. 

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1389 on: October 04, 2012, 01:25:27 PM »
Eh.  Not much of a fan either, never was.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1390 on: October 04, 2012, 01:33:40 PM »
I loved that song. In fact, I think Lap of Luxury was my first ever CD (if it wasn't that, it was Hysteria). I played the crap out of it - but then of course it was my first (or second) CD.

Listened to this song a while ago for the first time in ages. Thought it was pretty good, but made me think of junior high dances. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1391 on: October 04, 2012, 02:20:14 PM »
The 80's.  The Age of the Power Ballad.

Cheap Trick.  The band of cheap tricks.

Coincidence?  I think not.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #1392 on: October 04, 2012, 02:30:36 PM »
Pretty sure this was Cheap Trick's album where they did the inevitable dalliance with outside writing that had good results for a lot of bands. I suppose in THEORY it worked here, since this song was a hit, but like a lot of bands that tried this, it eventually worked against them and their sales were never the same.  But my lasting memory of Cheap Trick is this. While I can point to individual sets by bands at a concert being better, the best concert, in terms of quality delivered by both the opener and the headliner, I ever saw was REO Speedwagon with Cheap Trick opening in the mid-80s. You had two bands that grew up in the 70s playing live constantly, and it showed, because I've never seen both bands on a show quite engage the audience like that. I've seen better openers and better headliners, but that show still holds the record for complete show quality from start to finish.

Offline T-ski

« Reply #1393 on: October 04, 2012, 02:40:33 PM »
Cheap Trick - The Flame

This song was hugely popular in 1988 - I think it was one of the most popular songs of the year on the charts - and MTV played the crap out of the video, but I was never much of a fan of it.

This is one song that for me became better over time.  I'm a bigger fan of "Tonight it's You" however.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1394 on: October 04, 2012, 03:20:29 PM »
Cheap Trick - The Flame

I played the crap out of this album.  Saw them on this tour as well.  They always had a great live, raw sound.  As Jaq pointed out this album is like many albums of that time, (Kiss, Heart) where bands were forced to use outside writers.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1395 on: October 04, 2012, 04:09:58 PM »
That song really caught on during the summer when I was in boot camp.  We were totally deprived of all connection with the outside world until the week we had admin duty, and I got to work in the mailroom for an hour every day and the guys in there always had a radio going.  I remember hearing this song a few times and just thinking it was amazing.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Ryzee

« Reply #1396 on: October 04, 2012, 05:57:51 PM »
The Flame is one of my guilty pleasures.  I freakin love that tune.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1397 on: October 04, 2012, 11:26:07 PM »
Deniece Williams - Let's Hear It for the Boy

I am sure I am not the only one who hears this song and can't get those awful images of Kevin Bacon's character teaching Chris Penn's character to dance in Footloose out of their head. :facepalm: :facepalm: :lol :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #1398 on: October 05, 2012, 12:08:31 AM »
BLEEEEEECH.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: October 05, 2012, 06:53:48 AM »
What Deb said.