Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308443 times)

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #805 on: July 11, 2012, 10:38:14 AM »
The Police - Every Breath You Take

What a monster hit this was, spending eight weeks (!) at number 1 on the billboard pop charts.  Very few songs in the 80s spent more weeks at number 1 than this song did - Physical, I think Bette Davis Eyes, and I am pretty sure there was another one in the later 80s.  But anyway, great song from a great, great album.  Not my favorite song from Synchronicity, or even my favorite hit from it, but it is not hard to see why this song was so huge. 

Trivia question:  What video defeated this one on MTV's Friday Night Video Fights?

Hmmmm, no idea.  Maybe something by the Cars?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #806 on: July 11, 2012, 10:42:10 AM »
Nah, it was Photograph.  Couldn't find it on YouTube, but I DID find another funny FNVF promo:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dRSHAP0HNrM
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #807 on: July 11, 2012, 10:46:26 AM »
Are you sure about that?  Photograph was at its height of popularity in the spring of 1983, while The Boys of Summer didn't come out until the fall of 1984.  It just doesn't add up, timeline-wise. ???

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #808 on: July 11, 2012, 10:47:43 AM »
No, they beat Every Breath You Take, not The Boys of Summer.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #809 on: July 11, 2012, 10:48:50 AM »
Oh shit, I got the songs messed up, thinking you were now talking about the latest song I did. :facepalm:

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #810 on: July 11, 2012, 11:16:59 AM »
That's what I figured.  (although I DID quote the song title in my post :lol

Funny thing is, what made me realize that I had posted the answer earlier in the thread was this:  I did a quick google search to see whether the answer was easily findable online anywhere, and the third search result was a link to this thread.  :lol

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #811 on: July 11, 2012, 11:51:39 AM »
Out on the road today, I saw a Deadhead sticker on a Cadillac...

I was the resident musical expert where I was working, and someone asked me what the significance was of this line.  They didn't understand it, but sensed that the line was somehow profound.

It was.  In 1983, we still weren't that far distanced from the 70's.  Aging rockers were rare.  Rockers didn't get old, they either died or cut their hair, put on a suit, and joined "the establishment".  The idea that someone who had followed The Grateful Dead around "back then" and was now driving a Cadillac was kinda cool, and it made sense that there were some people like that.  That he/she would actually put a Deadhead sticker on their Cadillac... whoa!  You just didn't see that kind of thing back then.

"So the Deadhead sticker meant that they're a Grateful Dead fan?"

Yeah, see, the Deadheads were...  Holy crap.  It completely escaped me that there might be people who didn't know this.

lol 80's kids.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #812 on: July 11, 2012, 12:01:01 PM »
Cool video but the song itself was always kind of "eh" to me.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #813 on: July 12, 2012, 04:55:45 AM »
brilliant song.  Just absolutely fantastic.  gonna go listen to it now in fact.  Yeah, those little guitar licks are fantastic.  Henley's got such a sweet vocal sound in this one. 
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #814 on: July 12, 2012, 05:39:47 AM »
Hate Henley as a human being but love this song and the dude can write a tune.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #815 on: July 12, 2012, 05:43:55 AM »
That is simply one of my fav songs of all time.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #816 on: July 14, 2012, 09:11:11 AM »
Def Leppard - Pour Some Sugar on Me

There are no words for how big this song and the Hysteria album were back in 1987 and into 1988. I liked this song a lot back then at the time, but I don't know if it was from being overplayed or it simply not aging well, but I eventually grew to not care for this song very much.  Don't get me wrong, it is still fun to dance to when it is inevitably played at wedding receptions (everyone knows it, and everyone sings along to the chorus), but while it is on my massive 80s playlist, and usually makes my 80s CDs for my car, it is one I almost always hit the skip button for when it comes on now.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #817 on: July 14, 2012, 09:19:24 AM »
my mom is a huge def leppard fan, in fact my parents just saw them last night at Jones Beach, so i hear them quite a bit around the house. I think they have some pretty good songs, but Pour Some Sugar on Me is laughable. I understand why it was popular, but they have songs that are 1000x better. Rock of Ages, Photograph, etc. i just think Sugar is dumb

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #818 on: July 14, 2012, 09:34:43 AM »
I've actually been listening to this album a lot the past week. A good song, although there are much better songs on Hysteria.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #819 on: July 14, 2012, 09:42:42 AM »
I always thought Gods of War, one of the few songs from it that wasn't released as a single and with a video, was really good; I also like Animal and Rocket a lot.  On the flip side, I never much cared for the title track, Armageddon It or Love Bites.  Women is pretty good, too, but I remember that being a flop as the first single from the record.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #820 on: July 14, 2012, 10:31:30 AM »
Women was a flop, indeed, and Animal didn't fare much better. Think Hysteria had been out for about a year when Pour Some Sugar On Me blew up.

Another Jaq in the 80s story (yes, there's always going to be one when I like the song!): I worked at a Musicland for one Christmas season back then, and occasionally-when the manager who only played three albums wasn't around-we'd play music we LIKED. One of the assistant managers, who I actually dated for a while, loved Def Leppard, so she always played Hysteria. When she played it, I came to realize something: women LOVED the song Excitable. Girls in the store would actually start SINGING the chorus! And I never met, at the time, a guy who liked it. But women-and my fellow employee I wound up dating for a while-did.

You can bet, during my brief relationship with the assistant manager, I put that knowledge to good use  :lol

To the song itself: looking back, it's kind of hard to figure out why it wasn't the first single, or failing that the second one. Huge sing along chorus, driving beat, catchy as hell...makes you wonder what people were thinking at their label.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline WebRaider

• Like What You Like, People...
« Reply #821 on: July 14, 2012, 10:54:33 AM »
Women was a flop, indeed, and Animal didn't fare much better. Think Hysteria had been out for about a year when Pour Some Sugar On Me blew up.

Another Jaq in the 80s story (yes, there's always going to be one when I like the song!): I worked at a Musicland for one Christmas season back then, and occasionally-when the manager who only played three albums wasn't around-we'd play music we LIKED. One of the assistant managers, who I actually dated for a while, loved Def Leppard, so she always played Hysteria. When she played it, I came to realize something: women LOVED the song Excitable. Girls in the store would actually start SINGING the chorus! And I never met, at the time, a guy who liked it. But women-and my fellow employee I wound up dating for a while-did.

You can bet, during my brief relationship with the assistant manager, I put that knowledge to good use  :lol

To the song itself: looking back, it's kind of hard to figure out why it wasn't the first single, or failing that the second one. Huge sing along chorus, driving beat, catchy as hell...makes you wonder what people were thinking at their label.

Was just listening to the album the other week and I'm just not a big fan of  the second half of that album. Everything past "Gods of War" with the exception of "Hysteria" was just meh. The good thing is that although it was overplayed and sold like wild it really was a quality rock album from that time IMO.

Surprised "Women" didn't fare so well as it seems to bridge Pyro and Hysteria well...

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #822 on: July 14, 2012, 10:58:35 AM »
Great story, Jaq! :tup :tup

Offline Jaq

« Reply #823 on: July 14, 2012, 11:13:59 AM »
You keep bringing the 80s songs, odds are I have a story for it  :lol

And yes, Hysteria was one of the first albums where the needs of making a CD length album-it's just under 63 minutes long-ran into the track listing set ups of old vinyl albums. Generally, old vinyl albums tended to put the best tracks and singles on side one, and usually put at least one single and the more filler tunes on side two. That wasn't a problem in the old vinyl days, where you wound up with maybe three weak songs that you had to work through. Hysteria, though, was terribly unbalanced in that the entire first SIDE was released as singles where five of the six songs on side two weren't. And it shows.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Big Hath

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #824 on: July 14, 2012, 01:09:37 PM »

yep - the single came out in April of 1988 after the album was released in August of '87.  Phil Collen has stated that a few strippers in Florida began using that song for their routines and it just took off from there.
Winger would be better!

. . . and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #825 on: July 14, 2012, 01:56:35 PM »
I liked Sugar a lot after I'd gotten Hysteria, but like Kev it just did not age well at all with me. :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #826 on: July 14, 2012, 08:44:41 PM »
Kev summed it up pretty good.  Still a quintessential 80s album, like Slippery.  And for the comments on the length... when it was released, it was the longest single album release ever at the time.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #827 on: July 14, 2012, 08:48:15 PM »
This is one of the 2 Def Lep songs I just can't take anymore.  The other is Rock Of Ages.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #828 on: July 14, 2012, 09:02:41 PM »
This is one of the 2 Def Lep songs I just can't take anymore.  The other is Rock Of Ages.

:clap:

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #829 on: July 15, 2012, 05:22:16 AM »

:clap:

*Take's a bow*

I don't know what it is about them.  They do have plenty of great tune.  I just can't stand those two.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #830 on: July 15, 2012, 05:39:29 AM »
I know it's not 80s, but Adrenalize was awful.  Let's Get Rocked = worst song in history.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #831 on: July 15, 2012, 05:41:44 AM »
That's when I fell off the  DL wagon.  They got me back on after but I hated the sound of that album.

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #832 on: July 15, 2012, 04:19:07 PM »
I know it's not 80s, but Adrenalize was awful.  Let's Get Rocked = worst song in history.

Ugh.  I completely agree.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #833 on: July 16, 2012, 08:59:19 AM »
Danny Wilson - Mary's Prayer

Oddly, I had never heard this entire song until very recently.  I never heard it back in the day, and only knew the excerpt from it that plays for about 20 seconds in There's Something About Mary (when Ted is pulling up to Mary's house to pick her up for the prom).  But after finally hearing the whole song, I gotta say, it is a very enjoyable, good song, and I am surprised it wasn't a bigger hit back in 1987 when it was first out. 

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
« Reply #834 on: July 16, 2012, 11:07:13 AM »
Mary's Prayer got quite a bit of airplay here in Germany, but I don't remember if it was a huge success in the charts. Nice tune, belongs in my category of "like to listen to it but don't necessarily have to own it"
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline Jaq

« Reply #835 on: July 16, 2012, 11:18:28 AM »
No story here, because I haven't the foggiest idea what song this is.  :lol

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #836 on: July 16, 2012, 11:55:28 AM »
No story here, because I haven't the foggiest idea what song this is.  :lol

Pretty much this.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #838 on: July 16, 2012, 12:11:25 PM »
I haven't the foggiest idea what song this is.

Going back a bit, not sure if anyone played the album Hysteria more than I did when it came out. I think it might have actually been the first CD I purchased with my own money. Either this, or Lap of Luxury (Cheap Trick). I loved that album so much, everything was awesome. 
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline DebraKadabra

• DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #839 on: July 16, 2012, 12:15:04 PM »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hqgC3W9GUI

Wow, that was the 80s personified by a less than 4 minute video. :lol

Not bad.