Author Topic: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day  (Read 308331 times)

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
Re: MTV in the 80s Song of the Day
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2012, 09:23:43 AM »
As a disgruntled, isolated thirteen year old scifi reading loser who was head over heels in love with Styx, this video was the greatest thing ever.  I later realized that as a concept album and as a song, the idea was lame.  Still, it will always have a place in my heart. :heart

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2012, 09:26:15 AM »
Europe - The Final Countdown

Say what you want about this song, but how many songs can attain such popularity with the hook being a keyboard melody, as opposed to a vocal one?  Not many.  Interestingly, and I know I have expressed this before, when I first DT, my instant thought was they were a heavier and more intense Europe.  They had similar elements: operatic singer, cool use of keyboards, etc.  The massive difference was soon pretty evident, but that was my first impression.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #282 on: April 10, 2012, 09:37:29 AM »
Cool song, loved it in the day.

I love the line by Sebastian Bach on one of those VH1 specials about this song though,"Any song about spaceflight by a band named after a continent has to suck." :rollin

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #283 on: April 10, 2012, 09:39:44 AM »
Bach had some major pipes back in the day, but have you seen him lately?  He looks like an aging, obese woman. :lol :lol

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #284 on: April 10, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »
Rockstars in general never seem to age gracefully. :lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #285 on: April 10, 2012, 09:47:18 AM »
I love The Final Countdown. From that iconic keyboard riff that everyone knows, to those silly scifi lyrics that make little sense even once you figure out the words. I love it all. I'd call it a guilty pleasure but for the fact I have no shame in it at all. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2012, 09:52:45 AM »
I give the middle finger to the idea of guilty pleasures, since I have none.  I like what I like, and if someone has a problem with it, that is their problem, not mine.  I have ZERO guilty pleasures. :metal

But I have seen The Final Countdown called one by many over the years, so I get it. :biggrin:

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #287 on: April 10, 2012, 09:57:45 AM »
I enjoy it, if only for the iconic synth intro.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2012, 10:05:42 AM »
One of the cooks at work loves the song.  You want entertainment, watch a 250 pound Mexican line cook sing this a the top of his voice. :lol

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2012, 10:09:30 AM »
One of the cooks at work loves the song.  You want entertainment, watch a 250 pound Mexican line cook sing this a the top of his voice. :lol

Okay.  Time and address?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #290 on: April 10, 2012, 10:35:05 AM »
I love that song for one reason...our HS band played it at the beginning of every 4th quarter our team had the lead, which was pretty much every game.

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #291 on: April 10, 2012, 02:00:42 PM »
Great song. great band- unfairly slated as talentless empty crap probably because the singer had the audacity to not be fugly. Unfortunately it's one of those songs (Livin' On A Prayer, Sweet Child o' Mine, Summer Of '69 etc) that suffers from overexposure.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #292 on: April 10, 2012, 02:07:18 PM »
Overplayed but who cares?!  great tune and like everybody else said, "Who can forget the keyboard intro?"
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2012, 02:16:43 PM »
Overplayed but who cares?!  great tune and like everybody else said, "Who can forget the keyboard intro?"

???  How did it go.  I'm not remembering it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #295 on: April 10, 2012, 02:31:58 PM »
:clap:

Well played.

Offline lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
« Reply #296 on: April 10, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »
:clap:

Well played.

This. Free lunch for King.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #297 on: April 10, 2012, 03:08:50 PM »
 :biggrin:

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #298 on: April 11, 2012, 06:00:08 AM »
Chad, how about Red Skies or Are We Ourselves or Saved By Zero?

Honestly, I don't remember The Fixx at all other than this track.

Try the songs I suggested on Youtube.  I'd love to hear what you think about them.

Got around to checking them out a couple of days ago.  Still didn't do anything for me.  Not sure it would've 25 years ago either.

Mr. Roboto ... the cheesiest of all Styx tunes.  Fun, but cheesy as hell.  And stay away from that video.  It's horrid on the same level Separate Ways is!

Final Countdown... nice track on a horribly under-rated album.  Overplayed song back in the day yes, but the album was as good as Slippery When Wet.  Solid, top to bottom.

Thankfully, King's YT clip got pre-empted with an ad, so I didn't get 'rolled'.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #299 on: April 11, 2012, 07:33:45 AM »
I thought "Mr. Roboto" was okay the first time I heard.  A bit repetitive, but catchy.  The second time, it seemed even more repetitive and somehow less catchy.  I'm not sure I've ever made it all the way through the song a third time.  Cheesy is right.

I was a Styx fan from Equinox, Crystal Ball days; my first concert was The Grand Illusion.  But man, when they fell, they fell hard.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #300 on: April 11, 2012, 08:24:55 AM »
Big Country - In a Big Country

Now, talk about a song that just sounds like great fun, that describes In a Big Country to a 't'.  I am a little fuzzy on remembering this video as well, but I think I remember it being good fun to match the music; I'll have to check it out here shortly.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #301 on: April 11, 2012, 09:06:06 AM »
I always liked this song, especially the way the electric guitar sounds like bagpipes but without the whine.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #302 on: April 11, 2012, 09:45:34 AM »
Huge fan of Big Country.  even bought a few albums in the 90's as imports before Stu took his life.  Loved the song and the lower harmonies.   The drummer rocked and both the drummer and bass player played a bit with Pete Townsend on album and live (Well, the bass player did).

Next album has one of my all time fav songs buy them, Where The Rose Is Sown.

Online T-ski

« Reply #303 on: April 11, 2012, 11:04:57 AM »
Big Country should have been as big as U2.  The album "The Seer" is fantastic.
Is all that we see or seem, but a dream within a dream?

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #304 on: April 12, 2012, 07:36:30 AM »
Late to the party, but wanted to chime in on Final Countdown:

1) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FjeMDvCdrtc (How far can you make it?)

2) Good tune, cool solo.

3) Always makes me thing of the record stores in the Grand Theft Auto games:  Vinyl Countdown

4) I heard Sebastian Bach a couple of times in the last couple of years.  He sounds like he just stepped out of 1989.  Seriously, he still sounds excellent.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #305 on: April 12, 2012, 08:39:06 AM »
Men at Work - Down Under

I loved this song when it first came out, even though at the age of 8, I thought he was singing, "I come from the land of under." :lol :lol But how can you not love a well-written pop song that not only has a great video, but features a flute?!

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #306 on: April 12, 2012, 09:11:09 AM »
I love that song.  Probaably the only song in history to have the word "vegemite" in it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #307 on: April 12, 2012, 09:17:01 AM »
As an Australian, this song is just a huge embarrassment to this entire country. :facepalm:
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #308 on: April 12, 2012, 10:25:45 AM »
I guess I can understand that, but the rest of the world thought it was pretty cool, and I think it raised the overall opinion of Australia in general.  People who'd never even heard of Australia went "Hey, they're pretty cool.  They have the one band with that one song, you know?"

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #309 on: April 12, 2012, 10:32:01 AM »
I love that song.  Probaably the only song in history to have the word "vegemite" in it.

I guess I can understand that, but the rest of the world thought it was pretty cool, and I think it raised the overall opinion of Australia in general.  People who'd never even heard of Australia went "Hey, they're pretty cool.  They have the one band with that one song, you know?"

All that.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #310 on: April 12, 2012, 12:23:15 PM »
Belated comments on Big Country:

I loved their first two albums. It's a shame In A Big Country gave them a gimmick as being "the band with the bagpipe guitars" because they were a lot more than that. The Crossing and Steeltown are two of my favorite albums ever.

Down Under by Men at Work-yet another one of those endlessly catchy songs with a great video that the 80s seemed to fire out constantly. Also a remnant of the days when albums could be out forever before taking off. They were pretty close to releasing their next album when Who Can It Be Now and Down Under blew up. Great, next I'll be waxing nostalgic about the days when a band could sell out an arena in Detroit and no one knew who they were in New York  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #311 on: April 12, 2012, 12:27:50 PM »
People who'd never even heard of Australia went "Hey, they're pretty cool.  They have the one band with that one song, you know?"

Well, to be fair, it had that effect on the rest of the world that wasn't already saying that about AC/DC.  :lol

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #312 on: April 12, 2012, 03:58:57 PM »
People who'd never even heard of Australia went "Hey, they're pretty cool.  They have the one band with that one song, you know?"

Well, to be fair, it had that effect on the rest of the world that wasn't already saying that about AC/DC.  :lol

Or Midnight Oil.

Very catchy tune but I never bought their albums.  It's funny how hard they fell after the second album.  I see Colin Hay still tours and does solo albums once in a while.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #313 on: April 12, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »
I remember reading an article about Men at Work back when they were hot, about how they were all very private people.  Some celebrities are fine with the spotlight and thrive on fame, some deal with it as a necessary evil that comes with the turf, and some really reject the whole thing.  The guys from Men at Work didn't like doing interviews, didn't see the point in telling everyone about their personal lives, are they married or what, any of that.  After the second album, we never heard from them again, and I remembered that article and thinking that fame goes both ways.  They were cool, but they weren't that cool, they weren't superstars or anything, and the public wasn't going to continue embracing them if they weren't going to hug back.  So they disappeared.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #314 on: April 12, 2012, 07:28:13 PM »
Colin Hay still does solo gigs. Playing in Baltimore in the near future.