Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 116131 times)

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #910 on: February 11, 2023, 07:48:59 PM »
Still haven't listened to the 3rd one yet. but I'm listening to Hot Streak for the last several hours and I still dig it. I love the musicianship nuggets which are all over the place  Not really a fan of Ritchie Kotzen other than maybe the fusion album he did in the mid-90's but I think his voice suits the music which to me sounds fresh and inspiring in a way that Sons Of Apollo wasn't. Billy Sheehan is all over the record too, but I guess he'd have to be in a power trio.

Offline HOF

« Reply #911 on: February 11, 2023, 10:17:08 PM »
I've given it 4-5 full spins now, and I think it's an enjoyable listen most of the way through. There really is some great playing here, and Richie seems to be especially on fire when soloing. I think the weak spot is in the lyrics mainly. Some real throwaway lyrics on tracks like Xanadu, Gaslight, and Pharoah. "I'm cocked like a pimp I've got game, game, game" might be one of the funniest things a 52 year old man* ever sang. But my overall impression of the album is positive. I think Mad World, Breakthrough, Stars, Lorelei, and The Red Wine are all strong tracks. The Vengeance is pretty cool too.

*Hard to believe it's been 7+ years since the last Winery Dogs album, when Richie famously sang "I'm 45, but I'm 18 in the clutch."  :rollin
« Last Edit: February 11, 2023, 10:26:35 PM by HOF »

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #912 on: February 11, 2023, 11:25:51 PM »
I'm not particularly invested in lyrics usually but perhaps the 'I'm 45 but I'm 18 in the clutch' was written from the perspective of a character? A bit like Steven Wilson singing his Xbox is a god to him when he's never touched an Xbox in his life.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline HOF

« Reply #913 on: February 12, 2023, 07:02:56 AM »
I'm not particularly invested in lyrics usually but perhaps the 'I'm 45 but I'm 18 in the clutch' was written from the perspective of a character? A bit like Steven Wilson singing his Xbox is a god to him when he's never touched an Xbox in his life.

I think it’s more just trying to come up with some cheesy rock lyrics on purpose. The age lines up at least! I make fun, but he has written some great lyrics in the past. I think these ones are more just trying to have fun.

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #914 on: February 12, 2023, 07:16:48 AM »
There really is some great playing here, and Richie seems to be especially on fire when soloing. I think the weak spot is in the lyrics mainly.

I agree about the playing being great it's just too much noodling in the songs (I get the irony here being a DT fan). The songs feels like a bunch of noodles tossed together with lyrics trying to convince you Richie doesn't have erectile dysfunction.

Offline HOF

« Reply #915 on: February 12, 2023, 07:53:38 AM »
There really is some great playing here, and Richie seems to be especially on fire when soloing. I think the weak spot is in the lyrics mainly.

I agree about the playing being great it's just too much noodling in the songs (I get the irony here being a DT fan). The songs feels like a bunch of noodles tossed together with lyrics trying to convince you Richie doesn't have erectile dysfunction.

:lol

Online Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #916 on: February 13, 2023, 10:52:40 AM »
Lyrics don't matter unless and until they matter.  There are guys that can sell "I'm 45 but 18 in the clutch" and some that can't. It's like anything else; I think Stevie Van Zandt looks cool AF in a bandanna, and Danny Coker looks like a desperate tool. 

For whatever reason, maybe it's music behind it, but I thought those lyrics failed miserably with Adrenaline Mob, and while I don't spend a ton of time with The Winery Dogs, they don't seem to work for me there either.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #917 on: February 13, 2023, 11:04:13 AM »
While I think some of the lyrics are pretty cheesy, I think they kind of fit the band.  They advertise themselves as Dogs so that type of attitude seems to match what they are trying to convey.  Having said that, only Ritchie really comes off as that type of personality though. 

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #918 on: February 13, 2023, 01:31:52 PM »
I hate to be base about it but if I was married to Richie's wife, I'm pretty sure I'd feel 18 in the clutch :hat
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #919 on: February 13, 2023, 01:34:26 PM »
Considering the guy got kicked out of Poison for banging Rikki Rockett's fiance at the time, I think it takes a certain type of personality to do both that and write these lyircs  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #920 on: February 13, 2023, 06:22:31 PM »
I think that might be it, to me Richie doesn't have the swagger to sell the lyrics. It's certainly not vince neil levels bad :lol

Who knows maybe he'll make me feel 18 again when I see them in a few months.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #921 on: February 14, 2023, 09:14:36 AM »
Listened over the weekend.

Like the other Winery Dogs releases, fun but not great.  Probably a good live band, I would imagine, and I would definitely see them live given the opportunity.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #922 on: February 14, 2023, 12:18:09 PM »
Seeing them at the Keswick on Friday. Anybody heard anything about an opening band?

Turns out it's Frankenstein 3000 for this and, I think, Patchogue.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 12:24:51 PM by Sir GuitarCozmo »

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #923 on: February 14, 2023, 12:28:26 PM »
Still haven't heard the new one but I discovered that District 97 is opening for them at The Arcada. Very happy about that. Be my second time seeing The Dogs and my third seeing D97.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #924 on: February 14, 2023, 02:25:09 PM »
I'd be happy with District 97, but never heard of Frankenstein 3000.  I don't see anyone listed as an opener for the NYC date that I'll be at.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #925 on: February 14, 2023, 09:29:59 PM »
Does anyone know what was the setlist of the first show of the tour?

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #926 on: February 15, 2023, 05:42:28 AM »
Does anyone know what was the setlist of the first show of the tour?

According to Setlist FM the first show is tonight.
Photobucket sucks.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #927 on: February 15, 2023, 09:03:10 AM »
I gave a bunch more listens since my last opinion on III.

It's a decent album, but it's lacking standout tracks.  There's lots of awesome instrumental parts and a few songs that overall I really enjoy (Stars, Breakthrough, The Red Wine) but most of the songs don't really stand out too much.  I think the chorus of Stars is the only real ear worm I get when listening to the album. 

I'd have to say, it seems pretty safe to say this is my least favorite of the 3 albums, but I woulnd't consider it a bad album at all, just kind of a let down for me.

I'm curious which new songs get played, I think it's obvious Xanadu and Mad World will be played, because I think the live versions could be a lot more enjoyable as I know for a fact, these three guys on stage put on a great show.  I'm just not sure that will elevate my opinion of the album to be better than the first two though.

Offline HOF

« Reply #928 on: February 15, 2023, 09:08:18 AM »
I think for the kind of album it is, 3 or 4 tracks that are a bit more significant along with a bunch of enjoyable if not particularly deep rockers is fine. I’ve enjoyed it every time I’ve gone through it. It may never be a particular favorite by them or anybody, but it’s worth having if you like this kind of music I think.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #929 on: February 15, 2023, 09:17:33 AM »
Frankenstein 3000 sounds like Faster Pussycat meets Black Crowes. I dig it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #930 on: February 15, 2023, 12:23:30 PM »
I gave a bunch more listens since my last opinion on III.

It's a decent album, but it's lacking standout tracks.  There's lots of awesome instrumental parts and a few songs that overall I really enjoy (Stars, Breakthrough, The Red Wine) but most of the songs don't really stand out too much.  I think the chorus of Stars is the only real ear worm I get when listening to the album. 

I'd have to say, it seems pretty safe to say this is my least favorite of the 3 albums, but I woulnd't consider it a bad album at all, just kind of a let down for me.

I'm curious which new songs get played, I think it's obvious Xanadu and Mad World will be played, because I think the live versions could be a lot more enjoyable as I know for a fact, these three guys on stage put on a great show.  I'm just not sure that will elevate my opinion of the album to be better than the first two though.

I have a friend with your exact opinion. He thinks it's the third best in their discography, but it's still good.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #931 on: February 15, 2023, 01:43:11 PM »
Call it an educated hunch, but i think we'll be seeing west coast dates announced in the not too distant future  :tup

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #932 on: February 15, 2023, 01:55:35 PM »
Call it an educated hunch, but i think we'll be seeing west coast dates announced in the not too distant future  :tup

Yup, MP tweeted the US west coast dates will be announced soon and they will take place this May

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #933 on: February 15, 2023, 05:17:35 PM »
I’m at opening night of the tour.  The mix of shirts here is interesting to say the least.  My favorite is one a woman is wearing that says “I’m only here because my husband drags me to these damn metal shows”.  :lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #934 on: February 15, 2023, 06:08:07 PM »
:lol I've seen a similar shirt a DT show. Enjoy DTVT!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #936 on: February 16, 2023, 07:01:58 AM »
Solid set, playing the songs I like the most on III.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #937 on: February 16, 2023, 07:23:57 AM »
Indeed a nice selection from the new album. :tup
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline DTwwbwMP

« Reply #938 on: February 16, 2023, 10:37:55 AM »
Solid set. I could change 2 or 3 out for others (Damaged, Regret, Hot Streak), but that's just my personal opinion. :facepalm:

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
« Reply #939 on: February 16, 2023, 06:47:47 PM »
The opening band, We Came From Space, wasn't the best stylistic match for the show, but I really liked their set.  Ended up buying their albums.  It's got Bill Hubauer, so that should be a solid endorsement if you like his work in The Neal Morse Band.

I went to the show mostly for Portnoy and Sheehan, as I only had the first album and it didn't move the needle for me when I bought it 11 years ago, and didn't do much for me when I revisited it a few weeks ago.  My thoughts were - World class drummer and bass player with some dude who was in Poison after their hayday, just an excuse for Mike to play some straight forward rock.  Richie impressed me last night with his playing.  The Winery Dogs probably aren't ever going to be a top 5 MP act for me just because I want something more proggy or metal, but they put on a hell of a show even though Mike seemed the most subdued of the bunch. 

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #941 on: February 19, 2023, 12:52:09 PM »
Anyone here do the meet-and-greet for the show?
Disclaimer: All opinions stated are my own unless otherwise specified. I don't personally know any present or former members of Dream Theater. From time to time where the context is obvious, I may state an opinion without clearly labeling every single part of it as such. I cannot predict the future.

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #942 on: February 19, 2023, 04:00:29 PM »

I was curious when I saw them announce they were offering one, but nope'd out hard at the price :lol
Photobucket sucks.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #943 on: February 19, 2023, 04:03:46 PM »

I was curious when I saw them announce they were offering one, but nope'd out hard at the price :lol

How much was it and what do you get?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ReaperKK

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #944 on: February 19, 2023, 04:46:01 PM »
I just looked it up and it's $300, for that you get:

VIP Experience includes:

Private Soundcheck Viewing
Tour VIP Laminate and Lanyard
Autographed Poster
8x10 Photo
Meet & Greet with The Winery Dogs
ONE personal photo opportunity with The Winery Dogs