Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 113226 times)

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #840 on: December 20, 2022, 10:29:52 AM »
This popped up on my youtube last night so I ended up watching it.

Justin Hawkins listens to Xanadu

Today I have just heard The Winery Dogs music for the first time! In this video we're going to listen to their new song Xanadu. This is a band with some legendary musicians in it, let's see if they live up to their names! What do you think?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #841 on: December 20, 2022, 03:06:00 PM »
Does zero for me.

Yeah.....I can't say that there is a single song of theirs that has captured my interest in the least bit. Pretty vanilla and bland across the board
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni

Online HOF

« Reply #844 on: January 06, 2023, 09:57:23 AM »
Premier of the Mad World video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0LrdTWA9OA

Now this one is more like it! TWD are best when they are leaning on the more soulful side of their sound. This one sounds great.

Offline emtee

« Reply #845 on: January 06, 2023, 11:41:58 AM »
Again, same as everything they do - well executed and sonically perfect but has zero feels for me. Lots of people love them though and that's all that matters. Just isn't my thing.

Offline ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #846 on: January 06, 2023, 11:44:40 AM »
I like this a lot more than Xanadu, the chorus gives me big Train vibes with those background vocals.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #847 on: January 06, 2023, 11:58:20 AM »
Album review

https://lotsofmuzik.com/the-winery-dogs-iii-album-review-by-micheal-radu/

I love this band. I was already a fan of Richie's work, so, adding MP and Sheehan, just improved everything in his music.
I'm happy that it's not a 35 minutes album, like it seems a bit of a trend nowadays. 52 minutes is a cool lenght for a shorter album IMO. I hope the last song is an instrumental one (it seems so because of its description and the title).
« Last Edit: January 06, 2023, 02:56:22 PM by devieira73 »
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online HOF

« Reply #848 on: January 06, 2023, 01:26:09 PM »
So has anybody been able to pre-order the CD version of the album? The press release for the new album said CD pre-orders would be available starting 12/9. I kind of spaced on that and just now went looking for it on Amazon. They only have pre-orders for the download version and no info about a CD release anywhere. The band website only has links to Spotify when you click on the "pre-order" link. Surely they aren't done taking pre-orders, right?

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #849 on: January 06, 2023, 07:31:56 PM »
Again, same as everything they do - well executed and sonically perfect but has zero feels for me. Lots of people love them though and that's all that matters. Just isn't my thing.

Same. Just isn’t there for me with them.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #850 on: January 06, 2023, 08:38:03 PM »
So has anybody been able to pre-order the CD version of the album? The press release for the new album said CD pre-orders would be available starting 12/9. I kind of spaced on that and just now went looking for it on Amazon. They only have pre-orders for the download version and no info about a CD release anywhere. The band website only has links to Spotify when you click on the "pre-order" link. Surely they aren't done taking pre-orders, right?

I noticed this today as well. Can't find a physical pre-order anywhere and their website is no help. Is this still on a label or is this self-released? It appears their label is out of business so I wonder who is handling this.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Online HOF

« Reply #851 on: January 06, 2023, 09:33:11 PM »

I noticed this today as well. Can't find a physical pre-order anywhere and their website is no help. Is this still on a label or is this self-released? It appears their label is out of business so I wonder who is handling this.

Yeah, the album announcement doesn't mention a label. I saw other people asking MP about a physical release on twitter, so I guess maybe it's going to be streaming only? That seems hard to believe, but maybe they are looking for a new label to release it and just wanted to get it out for streaming/download ahead of the tour?

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #854 on: January 11, 2023, 04:30:44 PM »

Yeah, the album announcement doesn't mention a label. I saw other people asking MP about a physical release on twitter, so I guess maybe it's going to be streaming only? That seems hard to believe, but maybe they are looking for a new label to release it and just wanted to get it out for streaming/download ahead of the tour?

Amazon finally has a physical version up for pre-order. Says the label is Three Dog Music, so this is clearly self-released. Wonder why they didn't hunt for a label.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline ytserush

• Like clockwork...
« Reply #855 on: January 15, 2023, 07:44:41 PM »

Amazon finally has a physical version up for pre-order. Says the label is Three Dog Music, so this is clearly self-released. Wonder why they didn't hunt for a label.

Interesting. Must be a lot going on with the industry that we don't know about.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #856 on: January 15, 2023, 09:45:11 PM »
I interviewed Billy on Friday for the first time. He was so cool! I'll post it here when it's published - hopefully this week.

Online HOF

« Reply #857 on: January 15, 2023, 10:23:58 PM »
I interviewed Billy on Friday for the first time. He was so cool! I'll post it here when it's published - hopefully this week.

:tup

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #858 on: January 16, 2023, 07:52:02 AM »

Interesting. Must be a lot going on with the industry that we don't know about.

Richie has been self-releasing his solo albums for quite sometime. He probably knows more about the distribution and the business side of doing it yourself. Basically they are removing the middle man by doing it themselves.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #861 on: January 17, 2023, 11:04:46 AM »
Here's the interview with Billy - hope you guys enjoy it!!!!

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-billy-sheehan/?fbclid=IwAR1s4X5vduQ6A6vCjNMjF4-UGJokWbyKlCs6yCOOivJjtg5FYxyVZpwzZb0

Just finished watching this one, very well done bud. Aside from the ACDC and UFO reference you were spot on so it was Billy. Nice that he also took the time and play live during the interview

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #862 on: January 17, 2023, 11:13:27 AM »
 Yeah, I got confused with that AC/DC scenario...but he was kind in his correction - he could have been an asshole about it.

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #863 on: January 17, 2023, 12:01:49 PM »
Yeah, I got confused with that AC/DC scenario...but he was kind in his correction - he could have been an asshole about it.

He seems like the nicer guy to talk, I think he was kind for sure.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #864 on: January 18, 2023, 08:27:29 AM »
If you think, you stink  :lol great line from Billy in that interview

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #865 on: January 18, 2023, 09:25:00 AM »
Really liked the new single.  :tup
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #866 on: January 18, 2023, 12:00:15 PM »

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/interviews/interview-with-billy-sheehan/?fbclid=IwAR1s4X5vduQ6A6vCjNMjF4-UGJokWbyKlCs6yCOOivJjtg5FYxyVZpwzZb0

Did you have to get approval from the Church of Scientology to conduct this interview?

:P :P

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #867 on: January 18, 2023, 12:03:46 PM »

Did you have to get approval from the Church of Scientology to conduct this interview?

Didn't need to, I'm a scientologist myself and I'm higher up than Billy. If he refused the interview, I would have him clean my toilet for a few months.

Online HOF

« Reply #868 on: January 18, 2023, 09:42:52 PM »

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch this. Great stuff! Really enjoyed it. Great question about how playing in 3 piece bands helped develop Billy's style.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #869 on: January 19, 2023, 05:21:02 AM »

Didn't need to, I'm a scientologist myself and I'm higher up than Billy. If he refused the interview, I would have him clean my toilet for a few months.

:D :D

Really interesting that ACDC/UFO story. Billy must have really impressed the UFO guys, as he was remembered by the band after Talas opened for them only one time!!

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #870 on: January 19, 2023, 07:30:54 AM »

Finally had a chance to sit down and watch this. Great stuff! Really enjoyed it. Great question about how playing in 3 piece bands helped develop Billy's style.

Thanks! I watched it again, and honestly, I was completely starstruck talking to him. There were things he said during the interview I think I could have explored a bit further, but I was really nervous. Glad it didn't compromise the end result completely.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #871 on: January 19, 2023, 08:35:07 AM »

Really interesting that ACDC/UFO story. Billy must have really impressed the UFO guys, as he was remembered by the band after Talas opened for them only one time!!

He was actually brought to London to play with them at one point - I don't remember if this was with UFO or with one of the iterations of the Michael Schenker Group. But he mentioned Schenker was too drunk at the time, so the sessions didn't go anywhere.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #872 on: January 19, 2023, 09:48:12 AM »

He was actually brought to London to play with them at one point - I don't remember if this was with UFO or with one of the iterations of the Michael Schenker Group. But he mentioned Schenker was too drunk at the time, so the sessions didn't go anywhere.

He did a bunch of sessions for Michael in 1979 in anticipation of the launch of The Michael Schenker Group.  He didn't appear on the first album; that was Mo Foster, but one of the re-releases of the first record had demos on which he appeared.

Offline devieira73

« Reply #873 on: January 19, 2023, 01:44:16 PM »
[...]

[...]

Tim(TAC) can detail that better than me, but Billy played in the MSG first album demos (the expanded version of the album has at least some of it: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Michael_Schenker_Group_(album)#2009_Reissue_bonus_tracks) and also played with UFO in some shows of the Making Contact tour.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #874 on: January 23, 2023, 09:58:04 AM »