Author Topic: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen  (Read 113105 times)

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
Re: The Winery Dogs thread - Portnoy, Sheehan and Kotzen
« Reply #875 on: January 26, 2023, 08:36:44 PM »
My review of "III" was published today:

https://www.sonicperspectives.com/album-reviews/the-winery-dogs-iii/

very nice review Rod.... I dig all things Richie
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline RodrigoAltaf

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #877 on: January 27, 2023, 07:07:38 PM »
« Last Edit: January 27, 2023, 07:13:06 PM by TAC »
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline ProfessorPeart

• MP.com Refugee
  • Lubed In The Face
« Reply #878 on: February 01, 2023, 04:00:51 PM »

Well said.

Anyway, Amazon just pushed the CD out 2 weeks to the 17th.
beul ni teh efac = Lube In The Face / That has to be wrong.  :lol / EDIT: Oh, it's Blue! I'm an idiot.
Pardon the interruption, but I just had to run in and celebrate the majesty of Lube in the Face as highest moment in roulette history

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #879 on: February 01, 2023, 07:07:20 PM »

Well said.

Anyway, Amazon just pushed the CD out 2 weeks to the 17th.

agreed  TAC nailed it...  I could not have said it better.. : )
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline goo-goo

« Reply #880 on: February 03, 2023, 10:59:08 AM »
Haven't had a chance to check it out but has anyone else heard the new album?

Online HOF

« Reply #881 on: February 03, 2023, 11:01:32 AM »
I'm waiting for my copy of the CD to listen. Amazon bumped it back down to 2/8 yesterday after saying it would be even later the other day. We'll see when I get it.

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #882 on: February 03, 2023, 11:05:56 AM »

I'd love to read everyone's thoughts on the album, and see if they agree with my review. I love it!

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #883 on: February 03, 2023, 11:35:17 AM »
I'll have to give it some listens this weekend

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #884 on: February 03, 2023, 01:07:46 PM »

I'd love to read everyone's thoughts on the album, and see if they agree with my review. I love it!

It's all a bit 'meh' to me at the moment; nothing particularly memorable.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline The Realm

« Reply #885 on: February 03, 2023, 02:44:28 PM »

It's all a bit 'meh' to me at the moment; nothing particularly memorable.

Totally agree with nobloodyname, this album is very 'meh' to me. It could be that I am just not in the mood for it but it is really not doing anything for me and not sure I will listen to again for a while.

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #886 on: February 03, 2023, 02:53:18 PM »
I think it's a bit similar to the second album in the diversity, with a bit more looser feel in the instrumental sections/solos, which is nice. It's something a bit fresh for them for sure, but also already explored by Richie in his solo albums. As first impressions, this album is really cool and I would highlight Rise, Stars, Pharaoh and Gaslight.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Offline Samsara

• Queensr˙che Biographer and Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #887 on: February 03, 2023, 03:05:52 PM »
Going through my first listen right now. I'm not sure I "get" The Winery Dogs. I liked the first album okay. The second one didn't do much for me. And so far, I'm not really feeling this one, song-wise. I do really like the mix though. They have some nice panning. Hearing Billy at points in my left ear, then at other points Richie. Everything is very clear.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Pre-order now at www.roadstomadness.com!

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #888 on: February 03, 2023, 03:06:53 PM »
Going through my first listen right now. I'm not sure I "get" The Winery Dogs. I liked the first album okay. The second one didn't do much for me. And so far, I'm not really feeling this one, song-wise. I do really like the mix though. They have some nice panning. Hearing Billy at points in my left ear, then at other points Richie. Everything is very clear.

That's like saying a girl has a nice personality.  :lol
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: February 03, 2023, 03:17:41 PM »
hahahaha.

Gotta say Portnoy's use of the cowbell in "The Vengeance" has me doing my best Walken impression... :lol
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - At the printer! Out in May 2024!

Offline devieira73

• Boldly go where no brazilian has gone before...
« Reply #890 on: February 03, 2023, 03:22:16 PM »

The first album is still my favorite. It has has a bit more of energy and heaviness (so to speak) that the next 2 doesn't have, no doubt. But, as a fan of Richie's softer style, I still like a lot the style of the more recent albums.
"one small step for a man, one giant leap for mankind." (RIP Neil Armstrong)

Online HOF

« Reply #891 on: February 03, 2023, 03:30:22 PM »
There are a few outright clunkers on the second one (Captain Love, Hot Streak), but The Bridge is absolutely the best thing they've ever written, and How Long, Ghost Town, War Machine, Spiral, and The Lamb are all great. The first one is probably more consistent all the way through but fewer standout tracks too I think.

Offline Samsara

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #892 on: February 03, 2023, 03:35:59 PM »
Yeah, that's it in a nutshell. The first one is heavier and more consistent throughout. Now, it's not that I dislike Hot Streak and III, they are both okay. But they've evolved away a bit from what I like to listen to regularly.

Offline TheBarstoolWarrior

• PR permission
« Reply #893 on: February 03, 2023, 05:49:30 PM »
I have only listened to 4 songs from III, but right off the bat this is nowhere near as strong as the first one. The debut album was incredible. It had hooks in nearly every song. Hot Streak was a good album, but had fewer. Thus far I haven't loved III but I am not through it so hope it gets better. Either way, it's so hard to make an album like WD and do that again and again. I am just grateful this is a project they decided to do. Crazy to think that Billy is almost 70.

Offline emtee

« Reply #894 on: February 04, 2023, 07:38:53 AM »
Mix is great, especially MP's drums but there's not a single song that calls me back. No disrespect to the band intended but this is a hard pass for me. Hopefully others will enjoy it.

Offline kaos2900

« Reply #895 on: February 04, 2023, 10:22:07 AM »
Mix is great, especially MP's drums but there's not a single song that calls me back. No disrespect to the band intended but this is a hard pass for me. Hopefully others will enjoy it.

This. Couple of good tunes but everything else would be considered filler on their debut. Guessing Richie used all of his good ideas for his solo stuff? Disappointing and a huge drop off in quality from their last album.

Offline nobloodyname

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #896 on: February 05, 2023, 12:19:47 AM »
This review, which was retweeted by MP... I think they might have a copy of a different album to many of us? https://progarchy.com/2023/02/04/album-review-winery-dogs-iii/

I've listened to it a few more times and I think it's okay but never more than that. Suspect the answer to kaos2000's question is a simple yes.
Paul
Gamer, rocker, humanist, womble
Leicestershire, UK
Getting right out of my comfort zone: www.youtube.com/@paulplayspoorly Go on, you can do it, too! (24/3/2024: Now playing on Paul Plays Poorly!, The Answer Lies Within by Dream Theater)

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #897 on: February 05, 2023, 06:56:51 AM »
 I will say this: I had the same impression as some of you guys here, but the album grew on me after a few more listens. The last song is really great, and I think it's going to translate really well live.

Online HOF

« Reply #898 on: February 05, 2023, 07:48:01 AM »
I will say this: I had the same impression as some of you guys here, but the album grew on me after a few more listens. The last song is really great, and I think it's going to translate really well live.

Took me a little while to get into Hot Streak too, so I’ll try to give it some time whenever I get it.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #899 on: February 06, 2023, 12:23:48 PM »
Is there a thread just for "richie kotzen" or do we discuss all things richie here?

Offline MinistroRaven

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #900 on: February 07, 2023, 05:47:11 AM »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #901 on: February 07, 2023, 08:49:04 AM »

Took me a little while to get into Hot Streak too, so I’ll try to give it some time whenever I get it.

I probably need a few more listens too, but I am bit underwhelmed so far.  It's not bad by any means, but there hasn't been much that stood out either. It's fine, but not special basically. I will listen more though, I'm still pretty excited to see them soon.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member

Online HOF

« Reply #903 on: February 08, 2023, 08:13:10 PM »
Just got my CD today. Looking through the liner notes, I like how they list “Eddie Trunk: Eddie Trunk” a la John Kalodner. Maybe they did that on the other albums and I just don’t remember.

After one listen there are three tracks that really stood out above the rest: Stars, Lorelei, and The Red Wine. Some really great soloing by Richie on each of those.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2023, 10:02:00 PM by HOF »

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #904 on: February 09, 2023, 07:49:45 AM »
Just got my CD today. Looking through the liner notes, I like how they list “Eddie Trunk: Eddie Trunk” a la John Kalodner. Maybe they did that on the other albums and I just don’t remember.

What do you mean by that?  As in, Eddie Trunk plays Eddie Trunk on the album?  :lol or it like in a thank you to Eddie Trunk for being Eddie Trunk?  I know he's a big fan and pumps them up on social media. (and I'd guess his radio show too?).

Online HOF

« Reply #905 on: February 09, 2023, 08:23:31 AM »

What do you mean by that?  As in, Eddie Trunk plays Eddie Trunk on the album?  :lol or it like in a thank you to Eddie Trunk for being Eddie Trunk?  I know he's a big fan and pumps them up on social media. (and I'd guess his radio show too?).

Eddie Trunk essentially put the band together as I recall (only initially it was John Sykes on guitar). John Kalodner was a famous A&R guy who worked with a number of bands and artists. As I understand he would sign and develop artists, and sometimes put different projects together. He would frequently be credited in album sleeves as “John Koladner: John Kalodner.” I think the joke was that he was being credited for just being himself and doing what he does.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #906 on: February 09, 2023, 08:25:13 AM »
ahh makes sense now, thanks

Offline RodrigoAltaf

« Reply #907 on: February 09, 2023, 08:02:45 PM »
Cramx, look up your copy of Whitesnake's 1987. "John Kalodner: John Kalodner" is there. I'm pretty sure that it's on thr Aerosmith albums from Pump onwards.

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #908 on: February 10, 2023, 09:16:10 AM »
Cramx, look up your copy of Whitesnake's 1987. "John Kalodner: John Kalodner" is there. I'm pretty sure that it's on thr Aerosmith albums from Pump onwards.

Don't own the physical copies of any Whitesnake or Aerosmith album, so I didn't get that reference at all

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #909 on: February 11, 2023, 01:02:07 PM »
Finally gave the new album a spin and it's about as creative as the album title. It isn't bad, just kind of forgettable. I have a feeling these songs will probably translate better live.