Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 461233 times)

Calvin6s

Did RLM do the Plinkett TFA yet?  I'm not really waiting for it, but I'll watch it because I want to see what character he chooses.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
I'm a huuuuge scifi fan, but I don't really consider the Star Wars films scifi, which is why it doesn't appeal to my fanatical nerdiness, and probably part of why it has much wider appeal. I don't know if that would be controversial to Star Wars fans.

I doubt Star Wars fans would consider that controversial as most admit they like it because of the story arcs and characters with the SciFi part of it being greatly enjoyed, but not the core.  The icing on the cake.  We'd miss it if it was gone, but we realize it isn't a traditional SciFi story.

Dr. Who seems to be the goto for SciFi geeks.  A chick tried to get me into Firefly, Farscape and Dr. Who.  It isn't that I didn't like them, just that I didn't feel compelled to binge watch at all.  Dr. Who has been going for so long that I don't even know where to begin.

I think Battlestar Galactica Reimagined is considered "too mainstream" by hardcore SciFi geeks as well, so that's why I think I'm just a casual SciFi fan.  And some of it comes off as really, really bad.

And X-Files, V, Twilight Zone are a different kind of Sci-Fi as well.  As a non-SciFi geek, I feel like the telltale sign is some longwinded explanation that is more exposition than plot or character in a show is the sign of true SciFi geekdom  :P

Even though I love Doctor Who, I consider that very light on the scifi scale, but I'm a sucker for anything time travel. :lol I don't like the new BSG, but I thought everyone else loved it including the hardcore scifi geeks. I'm actually just finishing off the last few episodes of the original Twilight Zone now, and I'd argue it's the best and most influential scifi show of all time, even though not my absolute favourite. That and the original Star Trek had some similarities in their approach to scifi.

Scifi is a lot more than technobabble though! :lol I love that aspect of scifi when done properly (which it rarely is tbh), because it adds to the sense of believability and world building. A lot of shows just use it as throwaway excuse to intentionally confuse you into accepting what's happening, but when used well it's rewarding because it establishes consistent rules that you can anticipate and understand.
But I consider that as more of a surface level modern scifi attribute. Great scifi is often at a much deeper level than that, addressing important issues at an allegorical level and inspiring thought and change.

But I'm getting a bit off topic with my rant. :blob: With all of that in mind, I don't think of Star Wars as scifi, because I think it's very straight up about being a fun adventure, that just happens to have spaceships and pew pew lasers. It also has elements that put it more into fantasy to me. I love fantasy too though, so that's not a bad thing.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Did RLM do the Plinkett TFA yet?  I'm not really waiting for it, but I'll watch it because I want to see what character he chooses.

Not yet. I'm assuming they're waiting for the Blu Ray so they can take clips from it.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Calvin6s

Ok I have no barometer that is calibrated when it comes to giving a reasoned response to the trailer.  This looks exactly what I was hoping for.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I can't watch it with sound right now, but it looked pretty awesome. Great combination of OT elements and the new style.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
" Weee - ooo Weee - ooo Weee - ooo Weee - ooo Weee - ooo Weee - ooo "

is the new Inception BBBWWWWAAAAHHHMMM..

Offline kaos2900

That looks freaking amazing! It's really an amazing time to be a Star Wars fan.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
And only 8 months away !

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
It looks visually amazing, and of course seeing Forest Whitaker was awesome. I'm not over the moon excited, but I'm definitely intrigued.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Yeah it didn't bring the nostalgia or excitement quite as much as the first TFA trailer .

I was wondering if it would have the same feel as TFA with a different director and cinematographer etc but it looks like it does.

FYI - in case anyone didn't know - it's directed by Gareth Edwards who directed that last Bryan Cranston Godzilla movie.

Calvin6s

So what do you think is going on with the silhouette of a sith-like robed person kneeling before what looks like a bacta-like tank flanked by two red Royal Imperial Guards?

One of my fears is that they start doing EU novel things with Palpatine/Vader/Luke clones with soul transfers.  Don't think that it is it, but it reminded me of that fear.

Didn't see any Vader, the Emperor or Tarkin.  I expected to see at least one.

I like Forest Whitaker, but I don't know how I feel about him in Star Wars.  Star Wars has always been about lesser known actors so you can discover a character without any preconceptions.  Samuel Jackson didn't make that crossover.  Ewan did (and very well).  Qui Gon Liam was in between.

The AT-ATs in the palm trees were incredibly cool.  The ground level perspective made them very menacing.

The list of charges and the smug "I rebel" for the lead character was a bit much.  People talking about how badass somebody is to let the audience know they are the badass usually doesn't work.  Vader just walked down that corridor, looked around and then kept walking.  The Stormtroopers stood at attention.  No words.  You knew he was *the* badass.  Usually the person that talks how "they have the death sentence on twelve systems" are the punks.  Looks like she goes all Aeon Flux in the end.

« Last Edit: April 07, 2016, 07:26:49 AM by Calvin6s »

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
It has one of my pet hates in trailers.

When someone says a line and then a shot of someone silently reacting - which you know doesn't happen in the film.

Also - check the cast list on Wikipedia - bottom of the list = NEIL BREEN. Either that's a joke or it's a cameo.

Finally - the lead actress looks like a young Princess Leia. Probably intentional.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
It looked really good. And I'm also positively surprised that they didn't even show Vader yet, considering he will most likely play a somewhat big part in it. They could have gone the easy way and just be all like "LOOK ITS VADER" but nope, they decided to show us what the movie will be like and it looks great.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Imagine casual movie goers seeing this trailer and thinking "  ??? Wait why does Rey look different and is Finn still in a coma and where's BB8 and there's another Death Star ?? WTF ? "

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
I was pleasantly surprised - that was great! I'm looking forward to this now..  :)

AT-ATs were very cool. Nice to see the original storm troopers and star destroyer too.

So what do you think is going on with the silhouette of a sith-like robed person kneeling before what looks like a bacta-like tank flanked by two red Royal Imperial Guards?

One of my fears is that they start doing EU novel things with Palpatine/Vader/Luke clones with soul transfers.  Don't think that it is it, but it reminded me of that fear.

Didn't see any Vader, the Emperor or Tarkin.  I expected to see at least one.

Not sure who the hooded figure is, but it looked like something was going to appear or emerge from that 'tank' or whatever it is. Hopefully it's not a throwaway Sith like Darth Maul.

I think they will save Vader for a big reveal, like Han Solo's "Chewie, we're home" moment , in the full trailer.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
Imagine casual movie goers seeing this trailer and thinking "  ??? Wait why does Rey look different and is Finn still in a coma and where's BB8 and there's another Death Star ?? WTF ? "

That's easily solved when they drop the first "real" trailer and they show Vader. As soon as (even casual moviegoers) see Vader, they will go "Ah, so this takes place before.. got it"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
It looked really good. And I'm also positively surprised that they didn't even show Vader yet, considering he will most likely play a somewhat big part in it. They could have gone the easy way and just be all like "LOOK ITS VADER" but nope, they decided to show us what the movie will be like and it looks great.

The first trailer for TFA didn't show any of the familiar characters either. It shows a lot of faith that they don't feel the need to rely on the nostalgia factor. And the death star and AT-ATs satisfy that for now.

Offline The Trooper

^^^^^^ What Blob said

Offline The Trooper

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvqpFbRKtQ

The original New Hope trailer. I remember seeing it as a kid and was like,,,,,,,,,,,,, what the hell is this lol

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9gvqpFbRKtQ

The original New Hope trailer. I remember seeing it as a kid and was like,,,,,,,,,,,,, what the hell is this lol

That trailer is bad. :lol That low key sinister music made everything feel cheap and dull, and knowing nothing about this movie in advance, the whole thing was strangely paced and edited to reveal it for the first time. It seemed very incomplete.

Calvin6s

The black Stormtroopers looked cooler than I had imagined.  And I'm perfectly ok that they are "new" like some of the other trooper variants in this trailer.  They could be like the Seal Team 6 or black ops special forces team.

Somebody wondered if the robed *sith* was Snoke.  I could see them trying to tie it together, but it also would feel gimmicky.  But it would be kind of neat to have something like Snoke is originally charged with the mission to recover the plans.  Maybe he is handsome (as hinted at) and maybe he even resides with people like Leia kind of like how Senator Palpatine was "just one of the guys", but is secretly training as a replacement to Vader because Vader is not working out due to his injuries.

It would be kind of cool if Snoke actually completes his mission and recovers the plans, but Vader senses that would mean the end for him so he intercepts Snoke and sabers him to within an inch of his life so Snoke goes into hiding until post-RotJ.

Or maybe Vader uses force powers to push Snoke into blaster fire and Snoke never even realizes it was Vader that betrayed him.

100% speculation, but I could see Disney trying to create some tie in.  This would also give us a saber duel at the end without making it a throwaway Jedi (or redshirt Jedi).

Star Wars speculation is fun.

Offline The Trooper

:lol Yeah it was bad even for 1977. I get a kick from the line (even tho true) "from the director of American Graffiti" like AG to this sci fi thingy ??????????

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
I'm confused. Wasn't the next Star Wars movie slated for December 2017?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
I'm confused. Wasn't the next Star Wars movie slated for December 2017?

Yes, the sequel to The Force Awakens will be December 2017. This movie is an "anthology" standalone movie set between the prequel trilogy and the original trilogy. They're releasing standalone movies in every year inbetween the main series movies.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Looks great.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
I am genuinely excited about this film now.  Which is interesting, given that, other than the fact that it would be an automatic view because it has the Star Wars name attached to it, I had zero interest in it prior to today.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
I was interested in it because of the story and the director. And the fact that it's supposed to be a war film which just happens to be based in the SW universe.

It will probably be a lot darker than The Force Awakens.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
That looked pretty cool.  Really looking forward to it.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
I wonder if Terl will make a cameo.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One
« Reply #3845 on: April 07, 2016, 10:11:18 AM »
Updated the title as this thread is clearly just the Star Wars thread.

Rogue One trailer looks excellent!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #3846 on: April 07, 2016, 02:01:10 PM »
Looks cool. I am looking forward to it.

I wonder what's up with that Grand Moff in the white uniform, or if that's supposed to be tarkin or something. Looks pretty badass either way.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #3847 on: April 07, 2016, 03:46:28 PM »
Did anyone catch the Emperor's Royal Guards at 1:17?!?  :metal :metal :metal

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #3848 on: April 07, 2016, 03:47:01 PM »
Looks cool. I am looking forward to it.

I wonder what's up with that Grand Moff in the white uniform, or if that's supposed to be tarkin or something. Looks pretty badass either way.

Most branches of the military, probably all, have more than one type of uniform.  The "Dress Whites" or "Dress Blues" can be the fancy one worn to official functions and stuff, while the everyday uniform is green or khaki or whatever.  This definitely looks like a Dress White, as opposed to the everyday uniform, which is a dark grey.

Calvin6s

« Reply #3849 on: April 07, 2016, 04:03:11 PM »
If they are using EU stuff (and they already have borrowed from it) the white uniform signifies Grand Admiral which outranks just about everybody.