Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 464266 times)

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #2835 on: May 01, 2015, 03:09:27 AM »
I wasn't attempting to name all the changes, just the ones that really bothered me. I didn't mind the Jabba scene, though I forgot they dubbed Boba Fett.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2836 on: May 01, 2015, 04:24:54 AM »
The Jabba scene was only stuck in there because it was probably the only cut scene they had to stick in there to give the SE something new. Having Jabba personally travel to some backworld planet to get literally walked all over by Han made no sense. They clearly had not planned much about Jabba when they shot that scene, and it should have stayed on the cutting room floor.

I know you weren't pointing out all of the changes, but since it varies so much with what people liked and disliked in the SE, I think they're all worth mentioning. And many of those changes I mentioned were stupid.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2837 on: May 01, 2015, 07:10:40 AM »
The worse part about the added Jabba scene, to me anyway, is that when they decided to cut it, they re-used a lot of the dialogue in the Greedo scene, so now the same lines are in there twice.  That sticks out more than anything else.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2838 on: May 01, 2015, 07:16:03 AM »
I just couldn't take my attention away from how awful Jabba looked. I barely remember what was even said in that scene.

Calvin6s

« Reply #2839 on: May 01, 2015, 11:01:34 AM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:02:35 PM by Calvin6s »

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2840 on: May 01, 2015, 11:33:32 AM »
Wow, I hadn't even thought of that.  Jabba is totally weakened by that scene.  This is what happens when a scene is cut, plot and dialogue and reworked, then you shoehorn the scene back in.  It just doesn't work, and screws things up as well.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2841 on: May 02, 2015, 03:17:41 AM »
LUCAS
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Accelerando

• Disciple of Mark Tremonti
« Reply #2842 on: May 04, 2015, 04:44:47 PM »
STAR WARS ANTHOLOGY: BOBA FETT

https://www.slashfilm.com/boba-fett-origin/

We’ve seen the story of Boba Fett‘s youth, including the events by which he was adopted as the son of Jango Fett rather than becoming one of the first generation of Stormtroopers. But we still haven’t quite seen how Boba Fett specifically became the character who appeared in The Empire Strikes Back and Return of the Jedi. Now, we’ll see a lot more of the fan-favorite character, as the second Star Wars Anthology film will reportedly be a Boba Fett origin story.

The Wrap reports, confirming rumors that have swirled for quite a while. The notion that Boba Fett would be the subject of one of the Star Wars spin-off films has persisted ever since the project was first announced.

We don’t know much more about the film. The timeline is unknown; this could take place between (or during) the timelines of several different feature film pairs. And it could be that the “Boba Fett origin story” is just one small part of the plan for this film — it would be great if this movie followed the ensemble approach that the first Star Wars Anthology movie appears to be taking. This could be not just Boba Fett’s story, but a broad bounty hunter adventure.

Simon Kinberg is scripting and producing, and until recently Josh Trank was set to direct. But Trank fell away from the project over the past few months — or was pushed, depending on which stories you believe. Trank’s exit from the film was only announced at the end of last week.

This will be the second Star Wars Anthology entry following Rogue One, directed by Gareth Edwards. That film, which follows resistance fighters who undertake a mission to steal plans for the Death Star, will star Felicity Jones, Ben Mendelsohn and Riz Ahmed. Rogue One is set for release in December 2016.

We don’t know if there is any plan for connectivity between the Anthology films beyond the basics of the Star Wars imprint, or if they will truly stand alone.

There's only one person that I would have playing Boba Fett, and Kathleen Kennedy needs to jump on this ship.

Manu fucking Bennett. He's of the Māori people, just like the actors who played Jango and Boba in Attack of the Clones, and his past roles as Crixus in Spartacus and Deathstroke in Arrow is a no brainer to me as to why he's my personal choice.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2843 on: May 05, 2015, 03:11:20 AM »
So apparently Josh Trank ( Chronicle ) has been sacked from directing a Star Wars anthology film.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2844 on: May 05, 2015, 11:29:21 AM »
Relevant.  Kinda.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #2847 on: May 07, 2015, 10:19:03 AM »
That would be glorious.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #2848 on: May 07, 2015, 11:45:30 AM »
So when the Spaceballs version of this comes out does Mel Brooks use "Roll The Bones" as they fly by? :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2849 on: May 11, 2015, 07:08:47 AM »

:D
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline took_the_time11

« Reply #2850 on: May 11, 2015, 08:07:08 AM »
Cannot wait too excited for the force awakens. I'm so glad that star wars is being revived so much. Rouge one will be sweet.
I know the Aries Code & I enjoy the right to date.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #2852 on: June 15, 2015, 01:48:25 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2853 on: June 15, 2015, 01:55:58 PM »
:clap:

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #2855 on: June 18, 2015, 09:15:32 AM »

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2856 on: June 18, 2015, 09:20:07 AM »
Would have been better (and actually watchable) and more interesting if it were done in a 6-way split screen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2857 on: June 18, 2015, 02:12:10 PM »
So completely useless, yet somehow so interesting at the same time.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2858 on: July 11, 2015, 02:29:21 AM »
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2859 on: July 11, 2015, 10:32:03 AM »

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2860 on: July 11, 2015, 05:03:51 PM »
Man....  I can't frikken wait!!  Love the not over CGI'n it aspect.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2861 on: July 11, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
I think I may have gotten a little teary eyed watching that. I absolutely can not wait.

Screw CGI

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2862 on: July 12, 2015, 12:28:28 AM »
Let's not go overboard with the whole anti-CGI thing. It's great that they have the Disney money to build more physical objects where they can, but this movie will still have more CGI than most movies in pretty much every single shot, and as usual most people won't even realize it.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 12:42:24 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2863 on: July 12, 2015, 01:05:32 AM »
Let's not go overboard with the whole anti-CGI thing. It's great that they have the Disney money to build more physical objects where they can, but this movie will still have more CGI than most movies in pretty much every single shot, and as usual most people won't even realize it.

But that's the good CGI. What everyone complains about is when they do needless things like creating entire fake looking models when they can just have someone in costume.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2864 on: July 12, 2015, 01:09:11 AM »

But that's the good CGI. What everyone complains about is when they do needless things like creating entire fake looking models when they can just have someone in costume.

Which is fine, but a lot of people bitch about CGI as a whole as if it's a bad tool to use. While the PT was groundbreaking in its use of CGI in many ways, it's also a lesson in knowing where it's not appropriate. There's no doubt that CGI does get abused and overused, especially where Star Wars is concerned, I just get tired of the "CG BAD" mentality.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2015, 01:31:21 AM by BlobVanDam »

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #2865 on: July 12, 2015, 09:07:51 AM »
I love CGI, if... its done with taste and restraint. To this day I'm still fascinated with T2's effects. So if its done right, I'm all for it. And it's its looking like Episode VII is shaping it up nicely, balancing both practical and CGI. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2866 on: July 12, 2015, 09:42:56 AM »
But earlier you said screw CG! :lol

I think Episode VII is doing a fantastic job of using physical and CG elements where it's best called for. Modern technology actually allows for better practical effects than ever, but unfortunately the budgetary and time constraints of modern movies don't always allow it (how many movie franchises are safe enough to be able to justify the cost of building a full scale Millennium Falcon with interior? :lol ).
On top of that there's the crap treatment of VFX companies, having to do more work in less time for less money.

Classic Star Wars has such a dirty worn down realism to it that benefits so much from having all of these real objects. In particular BB8 is a real engineering achievement that many didn't believe could work as a physical robot. It's also refreshing to see some physical talking aliens using computer controlled servos for lip sync. I would have loved to see the new TMNT movie do that like the original did.
But you can also see most of those shots in that reel will have the backgrounds entirely replaced with CG mattes, a couple of mocapped CG main characters, CG space battles etc, things that are too advanced in scope these days to realistically do for real.

This will no doubt be a gorgeous looking film, and I can't wait to see the end result.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2867 on: July 12, 2015, 10:57:14 AM »
Ridley Scott also likes having sets and physical effects. Which is why Prometheus at least *looked* gorgeous.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus

Calvin6s

« Reply #2869 on: July 23, 2015, 09:53:05 PM »
a
« Last Edit: May 02, 2016, 08:03:08 PM by Calvin6s »