Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 464047 times)

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #1435 on: February 15, 2013, 05:06:40 PM »
Han So Old

Bwahaha!

The report says "movies," but Ford will probably want Han to die in the first movie. Probably the first scene.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1436 on: February 15, 2013, 05:23:07 PM »
If he is in the first scene...

Does that mean....

They'll shoot Han first ?

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1437 on: February 15, 2013, 05:25:09 PM »
:hanshotfirst:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1438 on: February 15, 2013, 05:25:59 PM »
DAFUQ?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1439 on: February 15, 2013, 07:36:05 PM »
Star Wars Episode VII: D.O.A.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1440 on: February 15, 2013, 07:57:15 PM »
Han So Old

Bwahaha!

The report says "movies," but Ford will probably want Han to die in the first movie. Probably the first scene.

Yeah, Charlton Heston tried that in Beneath The Planet of the Apes, and that didn't stop them making 3 more anyway. :lol

Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1441 on: February 15, 2013, 11:21:16 PM »
Chewy should have all grey hair.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1442 on: February 16, 2013, 01:09:08 AM »
:hanshotfirst:

I swear that upon seeing this emote I was: "Please, let it be hanshotfirst, let it be hanshotfirst..."  :biggrin:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1443 on: February 16, 2013, 05:22:10 AM »
. . . and there was much rejoicing.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1444 on: February 17, 2013, 08:20:36 PM »

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1445 on: February 18, 2013, 06:09:28 AM »
:clap:
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1446 on: February 27, 2013, 04:54:54 PM »

Offline MetalJunkie

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1447 on: February 28, 2013, 01:22:08 AM »
Eh. If I were a film director and someone offered me the opportunity to direct Star Wars; I'd drop everything and go for it. There's making movies, and then there's making history.
Listen! Do you smell something?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1448 on: February 28, 2013, 04:33:55 AM »
And anyone who says they wouldn't do the same for money - especially the kinda money he's probably raking in for this - is seriously kidding themselves.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1449 on: February 28, 2013, 12:28:05 PM »
People take this whole Star Wars v. Star Trek thing way too seriously. Who cares? Enjoy your new movies who happen to be directed by the same talented director.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1450 on: February 28, 2013, 06:10:40 PM »
Eh. If I were a film director and someone offered me the opportunity to direct Star Wars; I'd drop everything and go for it. There's making movies, and then there's making history.

:tup

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1451 on: February 28, 2013, 07:00:54 PM »
JJ Abrams - the man who made a star wars film that wasn't as bad as The Phantom Menace !

:coolio

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1452 on: February 28, 2013, 08:01:41 PM »
I expect the critical response to be about the same as it was with TPM: average.  But we know so little at this point, the only thing I can really speculate is that the movie will be praised for many aspects but torn apart for many as well.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1453 on: March 02, 2013, 03:44:45 PM »
Anyone watching The Clone Wars?

The last two months of this show have been AMAZING!  I am blown away by the story and how involved emotionally I've been.  I don't want to spoil anything but this is exactly how I hope the tone, style, and energy of the new movies goes.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1454 on: March 02, 2013, 03:52:26 PM »
I might go and see Episode 7 depending on how well it's been received etc..But as a lifelong Trekker - i'm way more interested in

"...Into Darkness."

I'm not the kind of guy who will staunchly refuse to accept a film is good if i'm not a fan of the series.

If I go and see Episode 7 and I enjoy it - i'll say so.

I'm not a Star Wars fan by any means but I went to see TPM on opening day as it was in my local tiny cinema and I went with

friends and I thought it was meh like everyone else :p

I'll never accept that Wars is better than Trek as Trek just means so much more to me. I just prefer everything about it.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1455 on: March 02, 2013, 04:07:59 PM »

The last two months of this show have been AMAZING!  I am blown away by the story and how involved emotionally I've been.  I don't want to spoil anything but this is exactly how I hope the tone, style, and energy of the new movies goes.

The Clone Wars lost me in the third season for several reasons, but I must say that I greatly enjoyed most of the first two seasons.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1456 on: March 03, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »
The Clone Wars is a terrible show with strokes of brilliance.

As much as a continuity disaster introducing Ahsoka was, I really enjoyed seeing what unfolded with her in this final arc.  You really get to see how the Jedi Order and the Republic are falling apart and all the seeds of mistrust have been planted.  For a character that was introduced to cater to young children, those that grew up with her must have an odd sense of dread about what has become of her now.  Gripping stuff to be sure.

The biggest fatal flaw in the arc though is what they did with Barris Offee.  I know she only had maybe a total of one minute of screentime from the films (and that's pushing it), but she did have a character arc outside of that as well.  I'm usually the last one to say "you can't do that, it would contradict the expanded universe", but I remember the official site had an exclusive story to subscribers about her prior to the events of Order 66, and I think the TCW team knowingly dismissed this.  Normally that's not a big deal, but it seems like the whole reason they used Barris instead of some new Jedi was her connection with Ahsoka, which seemed to have no baring whatsoever on Ahsoka's choice when it was all said and done.  So essentially it was all for nothing.  Also, this is a character that was the goody two-shoes of the universe, and hasn't been on the show in about three years.  Now we see her for five minutes and she is a murderer, a mastermind, and a terrorist for the "greater good" of seeing the Republic fall. 

Still, every once in a while, this show amazes me, and this is one of those times.  The Krell arc from last season was probably the best the show has done, it's just unfortunate that for every good arc, there are at least 6 terrible ones.  Also, bringing Darth Maul back from the dead was a terrible, terrible, terrible idea.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1457 on: March 03, 2013, 09:01:55 PM »
I think we've reached a point with the SW catalogue, both the "core" Lucasfilm media and the EU stuff, where it's pretty much up to fans to pick and choose what they consider canon.

Offline Pols Voice

« Reply #1458 on: March 03, 2013, 10:24:25 PM »
I just watched the last three episodes of the season, and they weren't bad. I'm not sold on what they did with Barriss' character, but there was some good emotion there from Ahsoka and Anakin, and some well staged action scenes.

I wouldn't say the Clone Wars is a terrible show (as I said, I really like the first couple seasons and greatly prefer them to the prequels), but I hated the idea of bringing Darth Maul back. That's when I lost interest.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1459 on: March 04, 2013, 05:43:14 AM »
I caught part of an episode yesterday because it just happened to be on TV when I woke up. I couldn't get over the completely lazy animation style.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1460 on: March 04, 2013, 09:24:33 AM »
I think we've reached a point with the SW catalogue, both the "core" Lucasfilm media and the EU stuff, where it's pretty much up to fans to pick and choose what they consider canon.

Pretty much.  It seems clear now that nobody who creates content in that universe has read or watched what anyone else has created.  It's already bad with this show and The Force Unleashed, but with the sequels and spin off films coming up, I'm willing to bet it's going to get a lot worse.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1461 on: March 04, 2013, 09:39:21 AM »
They already made it clear the sequels are coming from a blank state.  It's not a bet.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1462 on: March 04, 2013, 09:48:10 AM »
I've always taken Word of God as canon, but yeah, when Word of God is contradicting itself, you know it's getting bad.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1463 on: March 04, 2013, 11:11:30 AM »

I bought Season 1 awhile back, and watched about half of it.  I thought it was decent, but somehow just lost interest about halfway through for no real reason.  I'll have to eventually pick it back up again.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1464 on: March 04, 2013, 11:14:06 AM »

I bought Season 1 awhile back, and watched about half of it.  I thought it was decent, but somehow just lost interest about halfway through for no real reason.  I'll have to eventually pick it back up again.

The same happened to me twice: once at the beginning of season three and once during this winter pause. I spoilered myself a lot of things reading zepp-heat's post.
- Marco

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #1465 on: March 04, 2013, 12:52:53 PM »

The same happened to me twice: once at the beginning of season three and once during this winter pause. I spoilered myself a lot of things reading zepp-heat's post.

My apologies if I ruined anything for you.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1466 on: March 04, 2013, 01:41:35 PM »
Nevermind. I'm softer on spoiler than most.  :tup
- Marco

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1467 on: March 04, 2013, 02:37:53 PM »
At this point, I've pretty much considered the movies to be the sole source of canon, just because, as was said above, even Word of God is starting to contradict itself.  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1468 on: March 04, 2013, 02:56:50 PM »
Yup, 5 years ago you were safe accepting almost anything as canon, but now you don't have much but the feature films to use as a foundation.

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1469 on: March 04, 2013, 03:46:43 PM »
So the solo twins were never born? Is Darth Plagueis still a faceless Sith lord? My heart would cry if they just trashed the entire EU and rebooted from the movies.
- Marco