Author Topic: Star Wars Discussion Thread v. Rogue One  (Read 463876 times)

Offline Vivace

Re: All Star Wars Discussion Thread
« Reply #560 on: June 07, 2011, 11:07:44 AM »

I really hate to say it and now I'm going to sound like a bitching nanny, but again, I don't see anything in this clip that isn't already a problem from the prequels. A bunch of jedis and sith dancing around and saberfighting is great. Without conflict and emotion and an understanding that these are real people turns the scene into a vacuous fight scene. Compare it the Neo vs Agent Smith scene in The Matrix which is MUCH better and more emotionally charged. This looks great and is fun the watch, but I got bored and disconnected. This was the biggest issue with the prequels. Actually a MUCH better comparison is the fight in Empire between Luke and Vadar. Sometimes less is more.

Sooo...there's no emotion?... no conflict?  In the duels between Anakin and Obi-Wan?  Or Palpatine and Yoda?  I agree that sometimes less is more, but these duels are well built up too.

Compare the fight scene between Obi wan and Anakin to Luke and Vadar. Compare the emotion, the character, the energy, the conflict. Luke doesn't want to fight Vader. He knows if he fights him, it's a fight to the death. Either he will die or Vader will die. Luke does not want to kill his Father but Luke also doesn't want to die which is why he starts to think of Leia. When Vader starts to provoke Luke, Luke loses his temper and throws caution to the wind. He unleashes his full fury onto his dad and came VERY close to killing him. He stopped and realized that he filled with this hate his father has. He is reckless. But he's also very powerful. So the idea of turning to the dark side intriqued him. You can see it in his eyes that for one split second he considered it. But his anger disappated and the Jedi training kicked in and he repressed his anger standing up to the Sith Code. It was two minutes of screen time but it's definitely the single most exciting part of the whole movie and easily the greatest lightsaber battle ever. With Obi wan and Anakin there was no such conflict. Obi Wan never battled with hisself in knowing he had to kill Anakin. Anakin never battled against the dark side. It was lifeless and followed a straightline. No one grew, matured or learned anything from the experience unlike Vader who learned from Luke to repress his hate and start to love and Luke to came very close to converting. The Yoda duel was the same. Nothing was learned, gained, experenced or matured from the fight. It just happened and was forgotten soon afterwards.
"What kind of Jedis are these? Guardians of peace and justice my ass!"

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #561 on: June 07, 2011, 11:23:39 AM »
I agree with your assesment of the Luke/Vader dynamic.  It is POWERFUL!!!! .  I have to disagree with the prequel asessments.  I think The emotion and pain that Obi-wan is quite evident, also...the sheer rage demonstrated by Anakin, fighting recklessly (destroying the shielding console)  At the end of the duel...Anakin so in a rage, ignoring the fact that he has the lower ground and clear disadvantage... but blindly raging on to his demise.  Same with the Yoda/Palpatine.... the duel is saturated with emotion, Palpatines lust to wield the dark side energy.  Yoda, actually showing anger, letting his emotions loose.....which is a rare thing to see from a Jedi Master.  The only duel that I thought fell kinda into your discription is the Anakin/Dooku duel.  That one felt blah and lifeless to me.

**edited to add....

Was there personal growth?  Not sure, you might be right in that respect, have to give it some thought.

Offline skydivingninja

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #562 on: June 07, 2011, 11:27:45 AM »
I have a feeling destroying the shielding thing was a convenient way for Lucas to shove in more CGI and acrobatics.  :lol I do agree that the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight was the best of the prequels (cue that .gif) because there was more going on.  Yoda vs. Palpatine...not so much.  Pretty boring, tbh.  Bottom line is, the saber fights in V and VI destroy everything else. 

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #563 on: June 07, 2011, 11:30:51 AM »
I agree with your assesment of the Luke/Vader dynamic.  It is POWERFUL!!!! .  I have to disagree with the prequel asessments.  I think The emotion and pain that Obi-wan is quite evident, also...the sheer rage demonstrated by Anakin, fighting recklessly (destroying the shielding console)  At the end of the duel...Anakin so in a rage, ignoring the fact that he has the lower ground and clear disadvantage... but blindly raging on to his demise.  Same with the Yoda/Palpatine.... the duel is saturated with emotion, Palpatines lust to wield the dark side energy.  Yoda, actually showing anger, letting his emotions loose.....which is a rare thing to see from a Jedi Master.  The only duel that I thought fell kinda into your discription is the Anakin/Dooku duel.  That one felt blah and lifeless to me.

**edited to add....

Was there personal growth?  Not sure, you might be right in that respect, have to give it some thought.
Just watched it a couple of days ago, and I agree with you about Anakin/Obi wan, but disagree completely with Yoda and Palpatine.  There was no life there; just random attacking.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #564 on: June 07, 2011, 11:49:43 AM »
I have a feeling destroying the shielding thing was a convenient way for Lucas to shove in more CGI and acrobatics.  :lol I do agree that the Obi-Wan/Anakin fight was the best of the prequels (cue that .gif) because there was more going on.  Yoda vs. Palpatine...not so much.  Pretty boring, tbh.  Bottom line is, the saber fights in V and VI destroy everything else. 

I agree that it was the best lightsaber fight in the Prequel trilogy, but more from a sense of that was pretty much the best the prequels have to offer and it wasn't much, than anything else.

I agree with your assesment of the Luke/Vader dynamic.  It is POWERFUL!!!! .  I have to disagree with the prequel asessments.  I think The emotion and pain that Obi-wan is quite evident, also...the sheer rage demonstrated by Anakin, fighting recklessly (destroying the shielding console)  At the end of the duel...Anakin so in a rage, ignoring the fact that he has the lower ground and clear disadvantage... but blindly raging on to his demise.  Same with the Yoda/Palpatine.... the duel is saturated with emotion, Palpatines lust to wield the dark side energy.  Yoda, actually showing anger, letting his emotions loose.....which is a rare thing to see from a Jedi Master.  The only duel that I thought fell kinda into your discription is the Anakin/Dooku duel.  That one felt blah and lifeless to me.

**edited to add....

Just watched it a couple of days ago, and I agree with you about Anakin/Obi wan, but disagree completely with Yoda and Palpatine.  There was no life there; just random attacking.

This, for the most part.
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Vivace

« Reply #565 on: June 07, 2011, 12:33:47 PM »
I just don't see the emotion unfortunately in the Obi Wan scene. I won't say there isn't any, but a scene becomes more when the actor projects the emotion to the audience and makes it his own. That happened in the Luke and Vader fight scene. Mark really nailed it. I mean I felt for him. Truely and deeply. That never happened it the prequels. Ever. I never felt for Anakin. Not once. Neither for Obi Wan. Not once. It made the final scene more of a recipe than a true acting experience. All I got out of it was a bunch of frowns, facial gestures and lines, none of which had anything but what was on the surface. When you see an actor genuinely act and "be" the character it's a thrill. Look no further than Daniel Day Lewis in Gangs of New York or Kevin Spacey from American Beauty. I'm not saying Star Wars should be acting exactly Lewis or Spacey but Mark Hamill did do what any actor should be going when acting, and that's emoting. I never got that from any of the prequels. Not once. Not ever.  I won't fault the actors for that though, I fault Lucas. To him Star Wars is just a bunch of lines, special effects and fight scenes. To Kasdan and Marquid it was a lot more. A LOT more.

"Ha ha! You fool! My Kung Fu is also big for have been trained in your Jedi arts why not!"

Offline zepp-head

Re: All Star wars Disscussion Thread
« Reply #566 on: June 07, 2011, 02:55:25 PM »
[post]
What you're saying is one of the sneakiest arguments in favor of the prequels that doesn't actually make any sense if you think about it.  No one takes the prequels seriously, so then if you say the original trilogy shouldn't be taken seriously either, then it's okay to hold both in the same regard.

Obviously it's all subjective.  If none of what are widely agreed to be the flaws of the prequels are flaws to you, then great, awesome, enjoy.  If none of what are widely agreed to be the strengths of the original trilogy are strengths to you, then that's also fine.

But there's no way you can say the OT and prequels are quantitatively comparable in any meaningful way.  They're vastly different movies, which is why most people see them so differently.

Interesting contradictions here. 

Sure it's popular to keep pretending that a flanneled guy ruined our lives by making some movies not everybody liked 12 years ago, but a lot of people claim to have some magical panacea that would make them great in the eyes of all.  It's like reading an IMDB forum, everyone's an expert.

Offline Vivace

« Reply #567 on: June 08, 2011, 12:55:01 AM »
I don't think anyone here is going to argue with the idea that a person should not "enjoy" these movies. I "love" Howard the Duck even though it's an awful movie. The experience of the movie in no way has to reflect the material of the movie. I think the new Star Trek movie is a great example or even Avatar. I loved watching both movies and had a great time even though both movies have a rather abysmal screenplay attached to them. Again, the experience was separate from the material. This can be the case for the prequels, but I find it very hard to accept, nor can I after all the picking apart I have done, to call the prequels well written, well acted and well directed. I have talked to quite a few people on this movie and have seen quite a few reviews and examinations and most of the time everything comes down to the following areas

1) Yoda: In the OT Yoda was a theologian and philosopher. A very wise, very experienced and very powerful figure in the Star Wars universe, not because he was jumping around with a lightsaber, but because the character itself. In Empire Yoda gives a riveting speech on the Force that I use to this day to describe it. It's practically a homily on how the Force is there to help you, but you have to have faith in the Force, not in your skills as a Jedi, but in the Force itself as if the Force is beyond human comprehension but we allow ourselves to look past human logic and believe elements of the Force that are simply impossible for a human to understand; it can help us achieve the impossible. I'll get into more of this later. Yoda's character was intriguing, yet awestriking. Very much like a wise monk with an answer to any trouble that life throws at you. In the Prequels this is not the Yoda we see. Here Yoda fights. And he fights. And he says a few lines of wisdom but never anything that comes close to the one scene in Empire and his homily on the Force.  Many times people point to the lines where Yoda says "Hate leads to anger..." as Yoda being philosophical again but these lines are pretty superficial. Anyone could have said that line, Obi Wan, Mace, any of the Jedi's on the council. Yoda saying them was Lucas's attempt to show us, "oh, he's wise too!". Sorry Lucas, but no one is buying it this time. 

2) The Force: Like I said above, the Force in the OT was a spiritual essence and being, not a physical or material essence. It was painted as something that anyone could potentially tap but some were more drawn to it than others, kind of like some are drawn to be priests. They have a tendency towards the force that makes them more open to it. Han presented the agnostic side but Luke responded to it as if Han "could" believe in it, although tapping into it was never discussed. Another thing discussed in the OT was the dualistic approach to the Force. The Jedi's believed in order and discipline of the mind and that the Force was there if you purified the body so that it can be received in its fullest. The Sith believed in passion and emotion as a channeling power to the Force and that only through the more powerful emotional appetites does the human body access this essence. The evil of the Sith was presented as an effect of their tapping into this hate and wrath constantly. But Luke reminded Vader  how to love again as if the person behind the evil, this Sith was once an innocent being that once felt love or compassion during his life. In the Prequels the Sith are not like this. There is no humanity behind the mask (although Palpatine never once showed positive emotion in the OT either) and worse off the Force was degraded to a physical reality, not a spiritual reality. A good powerful Jedi was not measured by their faith or wisdom, but by the number of midiclorians in their system. This would be like comparing two Christians and saying one of them is a better Christian because they have type B+ blood. The Prequels eject the wisdom of the force and replace it with choreography and numbers.

3) The Characters: This is easy. Watch Red Letter Media's review on The Phantom Menace and he performs an experiment. It's enough to prove the characters in the OT were 3 dimensional and the prequels characters were 2 dimensional, most of the time 1 dimensional, always acting towards a straight line and never wavering from it, but even worse not even showing life, simply just saying their lines. Nothing more needs to be said on it as Plinket said it the best by simply showing us the experiment.

Lucas DID ruin the Star Wars universe by throwing out the original idea of the Force, by ejecting the idea that characters can be 3 dimensional, something that has NEVER appeared since the curtain closed on Return of the Jedi and by taking character's we once knew and creating a brain dead origin story for them. Obi Wan went from a wise old hermit to some guy who fought in the Clone Wars. Anakin went from a dark soul who once loved but is consumed with hate to a whiny brat of a kid that complained all the time, the love story forced into the picture. Yoda was a wise, awestriking figure and was turned into the Jackie Chan of Jedis. Palpatine was a figure filled with so much hate and anger you kinda wondered how someone could fall so far and then you learned, oh.. it just happened. I'm a conniving political figure. *snap* now I am a raging, hate-filled dark figure. An article was released a while ago from Lucas's producing partner on the OT who in so many words stated that he left after making Empire because he wanted to make a movie while Lucas wanted to make money. This explains everything.

the OT represents a Star Wars that works. Everything is interesting and you want to delve more into this universe. With the Prequels the minute the curtain closed I forgot everything. I had no interest in pursuing any of the characters because I really didn't meet any characters. I didn't really care for anyone or want to explore anyone. Imagine reading the first Harry Potter book but start with Hagrid finding Harry, Harry entering school, show only the scenes that discuss the plot about the philosopher stone and jump right off the bat into the end, throwing out any form of characterization that moved the character's forward, not the plot. in the Prequels the plot was the only thing moving forward, the characters simply came along for the ride. In the OT, character's WERE the prime mover of the plot.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #568 on: June 08, 2011, 01:03:08 AM »
Excellent post. Agreed 100%.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #569 on: June 08, 2011, 05:27:49 AM »
I wouldn't say that the characters in the OT were 3-d (not that I think they needed to be; the type of movie didn't really require it), but the characters in the prequels were just so embarrassingly vessels for dialogue.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #570 on: June 08, 2011, 06:11:28 AM »
*Awesome post*

Brilliant.  Exactly what I've been trying to say in brief (minus the specific examples). :clap:

I think the issue is people who like the Prequels don't really care about characterization, which is what I find sorta sad and frightening.  I think people who prefer the Prequels probably watch them for the plot, and I think this shows in a lot of cinema outside of Star Wars.  I just hope that this trend doesn't continue; what makes Avatar so compelling (as you said, the writing isn't exactly bulletproof) is the evolution of the characters, especially the human characters.  It would really be a shame if cinema lost that ability, to make its cast come alive on the screen, and not just as actors reading their lines.  Problem is I don't think many people these days really appreciate actors who are able to do that, or movies that try to.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #571 on: June 08, 2011, 09:03:34 AM »
*Awesome post*

Brilliant.  Exactly what I've been trying to say in brief (minus the specific examples). :clap:

I think the issue is people who like the Prequels don't really care about characterization, which is what I find sorta sad and frightening.  I think people who prefer the Prequels probably watch them for the plot, and I think this shows in a lot of cinema outside of Star Wars.  I just hope that this trend doesn't continue; what makes Avatar so compelling (as you said, the writing isn't exactly bulletproof) is the evolution of the characters, especially the human characters.  It would really be a shame if cinema lost that ability, to make its cast come alive on the screen, and not just as actors reading their lines.  Problem is I don't think many people these days really appreciate actors who are able to do that, or movies that try to.

Do those people exist?  Scary.  Then again, I enjoy the prequels, but in a completely different way than I enjoy the OT.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #572 on: June 08, 2011, 09:22:52 AM »
I don't think anyone here is going to argue with the idea that a person should not "enjoy" these movies. I "love" Howard the Duck even though it's an awful movie. The experience of the movie in no way has to reflect the material of the movie. I think the new Star Trek movie is a great example or even Avatar. I loved watching both movies and had a great time even though both movies have a rather abysmal screenplay attached to them. Again, the experience was separate from the material. This can be the case for the prequels, but I find it very hard to accept, nor can I after all the picking apart I have done, to call the prequels well written, well acted and well directed. I have talked to quite a few people on this movie and have seen quite a few reviews and examinations and most of the time everything comes down to the following areas

1) Yoda: In the OT Yoda was a theologian and philosopher. A very wise, very experienced and very powerful figure in the Star Wars universe, not because he was jumping around with a lightsaber, but because the character itself. In Empire Yoda gives a riveting speech on the Force that I use to this day to describe it. It's practically a homily on how the Force is there to help you, but you have to have faith in the Force, not in your skills as a Jedi, but in the Force itself as if the Force is beyond human comprehension but we allow ourselves to look past human logic and believe elements of the Force that are simply impossible for a human to understand; it can help us achieve the impossible. I'll get into more of this later. Yoda's character was intriguing, yet awestriking. Very much like a wise monk with an answer to any trouble that life throws at you. In the Prequels this is not the Yoda we see. Here Yoda fights. And he fights. And he says a few lines of wisdom but never anything that comes close to the one scene in Empire and his homily on the Force.  Many times people point to the lines where Yoda says "Hate leads to anger..." as Yoda being philosophical again but these lines are pretty superficial. Anyone could have said that line, Obi Wan, Mace, any of the Jedi's on the council. Yoda saying them was Lucas's attempt to show us, "oh, he's wise too!". Sorry Lucas, but no one is buying it this time. 

2) The Force: Like I said above, the Force in the OT was a spiritual essence and being, not a physical or material essence. It was painted as something that anyone could potentially tap but some were more drawn to it than others, kind of like some are drawn to be priests. They have a tendency towards the force that makes them more open to it. Han presented the agnostic side but Luke responded to it as if Han "could" believe in it, although tapping into it was never discussed. Another thing discussed in the OT was the dualistic approach to the Force. The Jedi's believed in order and discipline of the mind and that the Force was there if you purified the body so that it can be received in its fullest. The Sith believed in passion and emotion as a channeling power to the Force and that only through the more powerful emotional appetites does the human body access this essence. The evil of the Sith was presented as an effect of their tapping into this hate and wrath constantly. But Luke reminded Vader  how to love again as if the person behind the evil, this Sith was once an innocent being that once felt love or compassion during his life. In the Prequels the Sith are not like this. There is no humanity behind the mask (although Palpatine never once showed positive emotion in the OT either) and worse off the Force was degraded to a physical reality, not a spiritual reality. A good powerful Jedi was not measured by their faith or wisdom, but by the number of midiclorians in their system. This would be like comparing two Christians and saying one of them is a better Christian because they have type B+ blood. The Prequels eject the wisdom of the force and replace it with choreography and numbers.

3) The Characters: This is easy. Watch Red Letter Media's review on The Phantom Menace and he performs an experiment. It's enough to prove the characters in the OT were 3 dimensional and the prequels characters were 2 dimensional, most of the time 1 dimensional, always acting towards a straight line and never wavering from it, but even worse not even showing life, simply just saying their lines. Nothing more needs to be said on it as Plinket said it the best by simply showing us the experiment.

Lucas DID ruin the Star Wars universe by throwing out the original idea of the Force, by ejecting the idea that characters can be 3 dimensional, something that has NEVER appeared since the curtain closed on Return of the Jedi and by taking character's we once knew and creating a brain dead origin story for them. Obi Wan went from a wise old hermit to some guy who fought in the Clone Wars. Anakin went from a dark soul who once loved but is consumed with hate to a whiny brat of a kid that complained all the time, the love story forced into the picture. Yoda was a wise, awestriking figure and was turned into the Jackie Chan of Jedis. Palpatine was a figure filled with so much hate and anger you kinda wondered how someone could fall so far and then you learned, oh.. it just happened. I'm a conniving political figure. *snap* now I am a raging, hate-filled dark figure. An article was released a while ago from Lucas's producing partner on the OT who in so many words stated that he left after making Empire because he wanted to make a movie while Lucas wanted to make money. This explains everything.

the OT represents a Star Wars that works. Everything is interesting and you want to delve more into this universe. With the Prequels the minute the curtain closed I forgot everything. I had no interest in pursuing any of the characters because I really didn't meet any characters. I didn't really care for anyone or want to explore anyone. Imagine reading the first Harry Potter book but start with Hagrid finding Harry, Harry entering school, show only the scenes that discuss the plot about the philosopher stone and jump right off the bat into the end, throwing out any form of characterization that moved the character's forward, not the plot. in the Prequels the plot was the only thing moving forward, the characters simply came along for the ride. In the OT, character's WERE the prime mover of the plot.

As far as Yoda goes, that was kinda the point.  He, as well as the rest of the Jedi of the prequel era, were insanely flawed.  His character had to change, and I know this is greatly diminished with the absence of the Qui-Gon scene in Revenge of the Sith (here's hoping it's on the blu-ray, it spelled everything perfectly), but it is still there to some degree.  The way Yoda was in the prequels was wrong, and if he would have been his original trilogy self from the get-go, the jedi arguably would have never fallen.

The force is always an interesting topic.  The grave misunderstanding of midi-chlorians is that they are the force, when they are not.  They are merely a means of identifying potential.  And on top of that, Lucas always wanted both a religious and scientific reason for the force's existence, but didn't really have a place to get into it in the original trilogy (midi-chlorians date back to Lucas' notes in 1974).  On top of that, I think there was an overly extreme negative reaction to them.  Water is still the basis of all human life even if you find out it's made up of hydrogen and oxygen, this does not subtract from what it is or what it does.

Offline zepp-head

« Reply #573 on: June 08, 2011, 09:24:20 AM »
*Awesome post*

Do those people exist?  Scary.  Then again, I enjoy the prequels, but in a completely different way than I enjoy the OT.

That's the fairest way to put it I think.  But yes, from everything I've seen, those young enough to have watched them in numerical order very much prefer the prequels (so far).

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #574 on: June 08, 2011, 12:16:25 PM »
*Awesome post*

Brilliant.  Exactly what I've been trying to say in brief (minus the specific examples). :clap:

I think the issue is people who like the Prequels don't really care about characterization, which is what I find sorta sad and frightening.  I think people who prefer the Prequels probably watch them for the plot, and I think this shows in a lot of cinema outside of Star Wars.  I just hope that this trend doesn't continue; what makes Avatar so compelling (as you said, the writing isn't exactly bulletproof) is the evolution of the characters, especially the human characters.  It would really be a shame if cinema lost that ability, to make its cast come alive on the screen, and not just as actors reading their lines.  Problem is I don't think many people these days really appreciate actors who are able to do that, or movies that try to.

Do those people exist?  Scary.  Then again, I enjoy the prequels, but in a completely different way than I enjoy the OT.

Two words: my brother.  Not only does he love the Prequels, but as mentioned above, he wants Lucas to go back with the lessons from the PT and change the Original trilogy to more closely resemble the prequels.  He's even said that he'd like to see the lightsaber fights CGI'd! :barf:

Also, I'm interested in that latter statement.  I guess I don't know what you mean by saying that you enjoy the PT in a different way.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #575 on: June 08, 2011, 12:24:52 PM »
I just hope that this trend doesn't continue; what makes Avatar so compelling (as you said, the writing isn't exactly bulletproof) is the evolution of the characters, especially the human characters. 

I know what you're trying to say but using an example that has about as bad characterization as the prequels. I don't think there was a single memorable character change in that movie that wasn't typical of the rehashed story arc.

Offline RandalGraves

« Reply #576 on: June 08, 2011, 12:25:12 PM »

Two words: my brother.  Not only does he love the Prequels, but as mentioned above, he wants Lucas to go back with the lessons from the PT and change the Original trilogy to more closely resemble the prequels.  He's even said that he'd like to see the lightsaber fights CGI'd! :barf:

Also, I'm interested in that latter statement.  I guess I don't know what you mean by saying that you enjoy the PT in a different way.

That's interesting.  How old's your brother?

As far as the PT . . . there's just been so many jokes, holes, bad acting, CG and the like spread throughout, I almost feel like it's some big inside joke spanning 6 hours.  I enjoy the PT, sure, but at this point it's more along the lines of a MST3K kind of way.  Then again, it's been years since I've watched any of the SW flicks.  I'll be curious to sit down come September when the series hits Blu, and re-watch 'em.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #577 on: June 08, 2011, 12:52:15 PM »

That's interesting.  How old's your brother?

As far as the PT . . . there's just been so many jokes, holes, bad acting, CG and the like spread throughout, I almost feel like it's some big inside joke spanning 6 hours.  I enjoy the PT, sure, but at this point it's more along the lines of a MST3K kind of way.  Then again, it's been years since I've watched any of the SW flicks.  I'll be curious to sit down come September when the series hits Blu, and re-watch 'em.

He's 18.

I just hope that this trend doesn't continue; what makes Avatar so compelling (as you said, the writing isn't exactly bulletproof) is the evolution of the characters, especially the human characters.

I know what you're trying to say but using an example that has about as bad characterization as the prequels. I don't think there was a single memorable character change in that movie that wasn't typical of the rehashed story arc.

I respectfully disagree. :)

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #578 on: June 18, 2011, 09:57:41 PM »

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #579 on: August 23, 2011, 11:40:35 AM »
So.... the Star Wars blurays come out in less than a month. I still haven't made up my mind if I want to get them or not.

Are these the 1997 Special Editions, or 2004 editions, or a mix of the two? And are they the theatrical versions (if the 97 SE)? What are the downfalls of this set?

I really want to own Star Wars, but it could be another 6-7 years before these are re-released again...

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #580 on: August 23, 2011, 11:42:03 AM »
So.... the Star Wars blurays come out in less than a month. I still haven't made up my mind if I want to get them or not.

Are these the 1997 Special Editions, or 2004 editions, or a mix of the two? And are they the theatrical versions (if the 97 SE)? What are the downfalls of this set?

I really want to own Star Wars, but it could be another 6-7 years before these are re-released again...

As far as I know, it's the 2004 edition. Sucks, but what can ya do? Lucas obviously doesn't consider the originals to be important enough to release anymore.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #581 on: August 23, 2011, 11:48:43 AM »

As far as I know, it's the 2004 edition. Sucks, but what can ya do? Lucas obviously doesn't consider the originals to be important enough to release anymore.

:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

That really sucks. I originally thought I read it was the 1997 SE, which I was kind of excited about since those were the first versions I saw in theaters. If they are actually going to be the 2004 editions, I don't know if I'm willing to put down that much for them.  :-\

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #582 on: August 23, 2011, 12:08:33 PM »
Quote from: Some Asshole, 1997
There will only be one. And it won't be what I would call the "rough cut", it'll be the "final cut". The other one will be some sort of interesting artifact that people will look at and say, "There was an earlier draft of this." The same thing happens with plays and earlier drafts of books. In essence, films never get finished, they get abandoned. At some point, you're dragged off the picture kicking and screaming while somebody says, "Okay, it's done." That isn't really the way it should work. Occasionally, [you can] go back and get your cut of the video out there, which I did on both American Graffiti and THX 1138; that's the place where it will live forever. So what ends up being important in my mind is what the DVD version is going to look like, because that's what everybody is going to remember. The other versions will disappear. Even the 35 million tapes of Star Wars out there won't last more than 30 or 40 years. A hundred years from now, the only version of the movie that anyone will remember will be the DVD version [of the Special Edition], and you'll be able to project it on a 20' by 40' screen with perfect quality. I think it's the director's prerogative, not the studio's to go back and reinvent a movie.

I've got two problems with this.  For one,  this will now be the fifth version of the OT.  I have no reason to think that it'll be the last.  The bigger deal is that he's trying quite hard to eradicate the original version from existence; kind of like Annorax.  Since a pretty big chunk of the population would rather see the originals than the cartoonish new releases,  that's kind of a shitty stance to take.  It seems to me that he's trying quite hard to etch his name into the future, like Mozart or Shakespeare,  but what he's accomplishing is to insure that people 200 years from now all remember him as the purveyor of shitty films.  He'll be Ed Wood while Spielberg will be,  well,  Spielberg. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Online Adami

« Reply #583 on: August 23, 2011, 12:10:13 PM »
Aside from being Blu Ray, I don't think this version is any different than the last version.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ehra

« Reply #584 on: August 23, 2011, 12:10:47 PM »
As far as I know, it's the 2004 edition. Sucks, but what can ya do?

Not buy it.

Online Adami

« Reply #585 on: August 23, 2011, 12:13:01 PM »
As far as I know, it's the 2004 edition. Sucks, but what can ya do?

Not buy it.

Fair enough, I will. I'm more of a Star Trek guy anyway, so 80% of the changes don't bother me. I can use the Jabba's palace scene to take a dump or something, which is pretty much what the scene is now anyway.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ehra

« Reply #586 on: August 23, 2011, 12:16:09 PM »
I enjoyed the OT, but honestly I don't think I really have any urge to see them again. The fact that any version I bought would be inferior to the versions I originally saw doesn't help things.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #587 on: August 23, 2011, 12:20:19 PM »
I love Star Wars, so chances are I still am going to buy it, but it irks me to no end that we're getting inferior versions. I would have been fine with either the original theatrical versions or the 1997 SEs, but the 2004 version holds no nostalgia value to me, and many of the changes are highly unnecessary imo.

But all the same, it's been so long since I've seen the movies. I have two copies of the 97 SE on VHS and the 2004 versions on DVD...  but they are all full screen I think.  :P Now that I have a nice entertainment system, I'm dying to watch the films in high quality widescreen/6.1 surround. The special features should be cool as well.

...But still, with branching technology, I just wish they would have included the original versions.

Offline Cool Chris

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #588 on: August 23, 2011, 12:45:59 PM »
Took me a minute to realize why Barto was quoting a post someone made in 1997 :lol

Quote from: Some Asshole, 1997
The same thing happens with plays and earlier drafts of books. In essence, films never get finished, they get abandoned. At some point, you're dragged off the picture kicking and screaming while somebody says, "Okay, it's done." That isn't really the way it should work.

What? Of course there are drafts of books, but they don’t get published. Tolkein isn’t publish subsequent versions of LotR. Yes, films are ripped out of the director’s hands due to the studio’s release schedule, but this has been going on since forever. And exists in the literary and musical world as well. No, art shouldn’t work that way, but it does. Complaining about it is annoying.

The bigger deal is that he's trying quite hard to eradicate the original version from existence; kind of like Annorax.  Since a pretty big chunk of the population would rather see the originals than the cartoonish new releases,  that's kind of a shitty stance to take.  It seems to me that he's trying quite hard to etch his name into the future, like Mozart or Shakespeare,  but what he's accomplishing is to insure that people 200 years from now all remember him as the purveyor of shitty films.  He'll be Ed Wood while Spielberg will be,  well,  Spielberg. 

Spielberg always has projects to work on and strives to make better films and work on different projects. I don’t think Lucas is that concerned with his future legacy. He just realizes he has one crowning achievement (though AG could be considered his best film in some arguments) and finds it easier to make that his life’s work than work on other projects.

I had no issues with the 1997 SEs. I was too young to remember seeing 4-6 in the theater, though I grew up with them on VHS, and all the toys and other merch. I was so pumped to see them on the big screen, and was able to view them as ‘special editions’ ie. a new version of the original films, not an eventual replacement. I only have eps 2 and 3 on DVD (received as gifts). If each film was available separately, I’d consider getting 4 and 5. But otherwise am not interested in the BR releases.
"Nostalgia is just the ability to forget the things that sucked" - Nelson DeMille, 'Up Country'

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #589 on: August 23, 2011, 01:04:43 PM »
I think of it like this - I'm always down for a remix/remaster of a CD if it's done well.  For example, the remasters of Boston's music were done exquisitely well and have obsoleted the originals in my mind.  If Lucas would take the original film and do a remix/remaster of the sound and video I'd be thrilled.  I don't need to see ridiculously thick composite lines around Luke's land speeder when he's riding through Mos Eisley.

If you're going to make the special editions, fine.  I actually really like what they did with the Yavin fight.  And I think they fixed some of the bad lightsaber effects in the Kenobi/Vader fight.  But why can't Lucas spend his billions of dollars to make sure the original movie is out there in pristine quality?  It's not like he won't profit from it.

It's basically the South Park thing.  Copyright laws aside, once you release a movie it's part of the public consciousness.  It's not longer your place to control that, only to be a good steward of the people's experience.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #590 on: August 23, 2011, 05:06:28 PM »
The blurays won't exactly be the 2004 versions reissued.  They are new 2011 bluray versions.  There will be some new changes.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Pols Voice

• Did ya see the latest Nintendo newsletter?
« Reply #591 on: August 23, 2011, 05:10:54 PM »
It's Lucas' hatred of the original versions that is so annoying. Fine, screw around with them as much as you want, but still let people who love the unaltered versions have quality copies of them. Erasing movie history is just weird. Those movies were classic for a reason.

I do like some of the changes, but others are just horrendous.
WHOA, NICE GRAPHICS!

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #592 on: August 23, 2011, 05:44:40 PM »
It's Lucas' hatred of the original versions that is so annoying. Fine, screw around with them as much as you want, but still let people who love the unaltered versions have quality copies of them. Erasing movie history is just weird. Those movies were classic for a reason.

I do like some of the changes, but others are just horrendous.

This.  Although I won't complain about the deleted scenes that are coming with this release.

Offline blackngold29

« Reply #593 on: August 24, 2011, 06:19:12 PM »
https://www.thedigitalbits.com/articles/starwarsbds/preview.html

I read that whole thing and then ordered the box set. Looks like they really took their time with it, which is good; from what I've read other Lucas Blu-rays like THX-1138 and American Graffiti haven't been all that good.

Unrelated to SW, I found this line from that article interesting: He added an interesting follow-up to that, revealing that a lot of big-name Hollywood actors had themselves digitally-scanned about ten years ago, thinking that by doing so, they could continue appearing in films looking young even as they aged... but that nothing has really come of it yet because the technology just isn't there yet. Fascinating. Could lead to some interesting things in a few decades.

Finally, GL has been nothing but consistent that the original versions of the OT were not his original vision. I can't fault him for changing stuff until he says "This is the final version." and then changes more stuff after that.

Offline TL

« Reply #594 on: August 24, 2011, 06:26:10 PM »
An enjoyable little bit from Top Gear a while back with Ewan McGregor talking about the prequels;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yprYaqOEAoA
It's near the start.