Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344513 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1785 on: July 09, 2011, 12:57:29 AM »
I really dig this song. I probably have listened 20+ times now and it just a has different vibe to me, but is still dream theater. Jordan's keyboard sounds are awesome now and like many others have stated  this doesn't feel like a 9 minute song at all. September really is too far away now. Hopefully were blown away
And yet... Two months... To little months. Remember on January 3rd, when JP said, "We're going into the studio today to record a new album"? That was like, "Oh man... Still so long until the next album."
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #1786 on: July 09, 2011, 02:14:35 AM »
You're very welcome. "Axelklaffar" means epaulettes I think.

Well I think you're right! The origin of my username can be traced by using the following pictures:

"Axelklaff" is the patch with the "9" on it:

...and "öxölklöfför" is indeed "axelklaffar" with the a's and the e replaced with 'ö':

(the picture is a part of a series of "nonsense" pics that was spread on swedish websites for a while,  which became quite popular. For unknown reasons).

So, now you know the story of my username, perhaps I'll tell you the rest another time  :P
« Last Edit: July 09, 2011, 04:04:59 AM by Öxölklöfför »

Offline jsem

« Reply #1787 on: July 09, 2011, 02:16:46 AM »
HAHAHAHH vilken sjuk serie  :metal :metal :metal :metal :metal

Epic name is epic.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1788 on: July 09, 2011, 02:35:26 AM »
It's because I'm Jewish, isn't it? :angry:
Maybe.  Hey, I don't write the rules.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline WaterToFire

« Reply #1789 on: July 10, 2011, 07:14:42 AM »
I had a dream last night that the version of OTBOA that we heard was a radio edit, while the real thing had longer intro and outro sections, as well as a whole extra verse. By light of day I don't think this is the case, and would be annoyed if the song took much more space on the album, but my was it cool in the dream.

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #1790 on: July 10, 2011, 08:27:15 AM »
Every time I read this thread's title I find myself singing it the same as the chorus of JLB's "One More Time" (from Static Impulse)

"On the baaaaaaaaaaaaacks of aaangels" - a la "it was like yeeeeeeeeeeesterday"

Offline Blackfield

« Reply #1791 on: July 10, 2011, 08:44:47 AM »
I had a dream last night that the version of OTBOA that we heard was a radio edit, while the real thing had longer intro and outro sections, as well as a whole extra verse. By light of day I don't think this is the case, and would be annoyed if the song took much more space on the album, but my was it cool in the dream.

It's most likely they will play the real version live, and it's the same version that we've heard, so I would bet good money on that this is the one and only version.

Offline lucky7

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1792 on: July 11, 2011, 02:44:52 AM »
I just heard the track and saw the artwork for the first time today. Like the track, but very glad the DT sound is still there.....I forgot how much I missed JP! He is amazing. The artwork is great....have they used the same guy previously? Sorry if it has been mentioned before  :angel:

« Reply #1793 on: July 11, 2011, 02:46:19 AM »
I just heard the track and saw the artwork for the first time today. Like the track, but very glad the DT sound is still there.....I forgot how much I missed JP! He is amazing. The artwork is great....have they used the same guy previously? Sorry if it has been mentioned before  :angel:
Well, the style of the art is definitely reminiscent of Silver Linings, I suspect it's the same guy.

Offline Mbarak

« Reply #1794 on: July 11, 2011, 03:44:04 AM »
Well, the style of the art is definitely reminiscent of Silver Linings, I suspect it's the same guy.

It was confirmed by JR that it is indeed Hugh Syme, who did the artwork for the previous 3 albums

Offline Orion1967

« Reply #1795 on: July 11, 2011, 06:39:35 AM »
Gotta say, I'm not really digging the artwork.   Love the song however.  Artwork looks rather cheezy imho.  I truly hope that the actual album cover is different.
Cool Story Bro. 

Tell it again

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1796 on: July 11, 2011, 06:42:59 AM »
Gotta say, I'm not really digging the artwork.   Love the song however.  Artwork looks rather cheezy imho.  I truly hope that the actual album cover is different.

it wont be.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1797 on: July 11, 2011, 08:57:18 AM »
Yeah I agree about the album art.  Really wish they went with someone new.  Random shit photo shopped together is completely played out as an artistic style.  I like the color scheme to the album, but not the overall style its presented in.  It really has nothing to do with anything.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Online The Letter M

« Reply #1798 on: July 11, 2011, 09:13:15 AM »
It really has nothing to do with anything.

Well, we don't know that for sure until we hear the album. When the cover art for BC&SL came out, everyone thought it was freaking weird because it was a hodge-podge of images thrown together, and without the songs' lyrics for meaning, no one knew what any of it meant, except for some connection to the album title itself.

And with SC, the ants made no sense and to this day, still do not make any sense to me. What do the ants have to do with anything? Maybe nothing, but it's kind of cool and they're all over the liner art as well, which is pretty neat. I think what Huge has done for the album art (cover AND booklet) for Dream Theater's last 3 albums has been pretty good, despite it's (apparent) meaninglessness, but once we get to see the whole booklet for ADTOE and hear the songs, all the art might make more sense to us.

-Marc.
ATTENTION - HAKEN FANS! The HAKEN SURVIVOR 2023 has begun! You can check it out in the Polls/Survivors Forum!!!

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1799 on: July 11, 2011, 09:25:41 AM »
The SC ants are so clear to the meaning of the album.  That was one of their better conceptual designs, along with 8V.  Have you ever seen ants and how they work as a colony?  It is systematic chaos.  From the outside things look nuts cause there are so many of them, but on their level everything is completely organized and has reason and order.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1800 on: July 11, 2011, 10:22:24 AM »
The SC ants are so clear to the meaning of the album.  That was one of their better conceptual designs, along with 8V.  Have you ever seen ants and how they work as a colony?  It is systematic chaos.  From the outside things look nuts cause there are so many of them, but on their level everything is completely organized and has reason and order.
Just what I wanted to write  :tup

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1801 on: July 11, 2011, 10:26:09 AM »

Plus, there is a series of overpasses at this one spot on my commute that looks a lot like the album cover, which always makes me want to pop in SC and listen.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1802 on: July 11, 2011, 01:14:55 PM »
I really dig this song. I probably have listened 20+ times now and it just a has different vibe to me, but is still dream theater. Jordan's keyboard sounds are awesome now and like many others have stated  this doesn't feel like a 9 minute song at all. September really is too far away now. Hopefully were blown away
And yet... Two months... To little months. Remember on January 3rd, when JP said, "We're going into the studio today to record a new album"? That was like, "Oh man... Still so long until the next album."

Good perspective. We only need to wait a third of that period. Damn.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1803 on: July 11, 2011, 01:18:44 PM »

Plus, there is a series of overpasses at this one spot on my commute that looks a lot like the album cover, which always makes me want to pop in SC and listen.
Cool  :tup I have a view from my window like Octavarium cover ;) but there are some buildings ;)

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1804 on: July 11, 2011, 02:50:16 PM »
That would be cool. Giant metal balls on strings right outside my window.

« Reply #1805 on: July 11, 2011, 03:19:15 PM »
Oh yeah!? Well I have... Umm... Ants...

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1806 on: July 11, 2011, 03:26:22 PM »
My neighbour frequently rides on his unicycle on a rope leading into infinity.

Beat that!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1807 on: July 11, 2011, 04:14:42 PM »
I have various images and words on my wall, which I stare at while awake.

« Reply #1808 on: July 11, 2011, 04:15:37 PM »
Well... My face is made up of a collage of 1920's style photographs.

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1809 on: July 11, 2011, 04:19:24 PM »
During a storm I look the black clouds and silver linings and develop a train of thought.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1810 on: July 11, 2011, 04:22:27 PM »
I sat in this red chair yesterday listening to some old radio I found, and some bird fucking pooped right above me, it almost hit me I got away and it just missed me.

« Reply #1811 on: July 11, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »
Sometimes I like to sit on a platform in the middle of the ocean and stare through the binoculars at another man about four feet away, staring right back at me.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1812 on: July 11, 2011, 04:33:42 PM »
Sometimes I like to sit on a platform in the middle of the ocean and stare through the binoculars at another man about four feet away, staring right back at me.

Me too. In fact, I am right now.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1813 on: July 11, 2011, 04:33:44 PM »
Sometimes me and the girl get kinky and I like to be branded.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1814 on: July 11, 2011, 04:43:26 PM »
I make a lot of threads.

« Reply #1815 on: July 11, 2011, 04:45:00 PM »
I like little boys on the beach.... No wait... That's not right...

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1816 on: July 11, 2011, 04:54:53 PM »
OK, bring it back onto topic.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline LTE777

« Reply #1817 on: July 12, 2011, 05:10:00 AM »
I like little boys on the beach.... No wait... That's not right...

Ahhhhhh hahahahaha.  This honestly made my day, good work!

On topic, OTBOA is certainly getting better with each listen.  I went from loving it to hating it, to being dissapointed, to thinking its ok, to great and now think its brilliant.

Does anyone else think after listening to OTBOA, TOT -> BCSL doesnt seem as bad as everyone made them out to be?

I put in TOT album and then TCOT in straight after listening to OTBOA and all I thought was 'wow' which i never had that reaction before.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1818 on: July 12, 2011, 06:51:39 AM »
I think it's good now, but nowhere near as good as when I first heard it. Which is a shame, but... it feels very formulaic. I don't like how there's basically no new vocal melody after the chorus, and no new lyrics after the second pre-chorus.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1819 on: July 12, 2011, 07:58:42 AM »
Does anyone else think after listening to OTBOA, TOT -> BCSL doesnt seem as bad as everyone made them out to be?

"Everyone" didn't make them out to be bad.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."