Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344531 times)

Offline ehra

Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1400 on: July 02, 2011, 01:01:01 PM »
Which is precisely why I found it silly that MP retweeted it. Sort of a "see? I was right!"

Don't really see why it should matter in the end, if that's how he feels then he's entitled to that. He shouldn't have retweeted it if only because he should have realized that people would blow it out of proportion and make it out to be more than what it is (a previous band member thinks the band's most recent song is ok) In an ideal world it wouldn't be an issue, but oh well.

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1401 on: July 02, 2011, 01:05:30 PM »
Man a lot of the people on here have said they moved on from Portnoy, but are arguing over him retweeting Eddie Trunk's tweet.  If you really have moved on, then why do you care what he said?

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1402 on: July 02, 2011, 01:17:52 PM »
false dichotomy

Offline Öxölklöfför

• Pull my finger, I'm not afraid.
« Reply #1403 on: July 02, 2011, 02:15:25 PM »
This is, in a nutshell, the reason why it's a bad idea to say and discuss things using text. If everyone in this thread would sit down and discuss this face to face, we would understand each other much better. Basically because of that text is too "simple" to discuss things involving emotions. (I think that the invention of smileys is a way to compensate for this)

ban the internet!

The internet is good for many things, but it's a relatively poor channel for expressing opinions.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1404 on: July 02, 2011, 03:09:17 PM »
lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1405 on: July 02, 2011, 04:59:56 PM »
It seems like everything MP does will be criticized no matter what he does. 
In all fairness, he has earned that honestly.

At this point, I no longer care what either Eddie Trunk or Mike Portnoy thinks about this song.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1406 on: July 02, 2011, 06:28:26 PM »
The entire problem is that MP retweeted the tweet (in light of the fact that he is no longer in the band, and the tweet is about the band's very first output without him).

He really needs to learn to not hit the "post" button without thinking about the consequences. You'd think he'd learn by now given the past 9 months or so, and he shouldn't wonder why people leave him some of the comments and think some of the thoughts that they do. It's embarrassing on his part no matter his intentions.

MP is a respectable musician, but I really get turned off by his media presence, because it seems passive-aggressive toward the band in general, even if he is being honest and innocent. Some things you just need to keep to yourself and work it out on your own time, out of media spotlight. I almost believe he LIKES creating added/unnecessary public drama to the fans.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1407 on: July 02, 2011, 06:34:01 PM »
Man, I love that second prechorus whith the 16th notes on the hihat/cymbal because you just know MM is playin that with one hand.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1408 on: July 02, 2011, 06:37:30 PM »
Man, I love that second prechorus whith the 16th notes on the hihat/cymbal because you just know MM is playin that with one hand.
That cymbal work is outrageous, I love it! :D

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline utopiarun

« Reply #1409 on: July 02, 2011, 07:22:58 PM »
I personally couldn't give a rats behind if Eddie Trunk likes or dislikes the song. I happen to like the song a great deal and that's all that we should care about, whether we as individuals like it. And btw I didn't take his tweet as a shot at DT. He's Mikes friend I didn't expect him to go overboard about it .

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1410 on: July 02, 2011, 07:23:57 PM »
Yeah I don't give a damn what ET has to say honestly, but MP's retweet is really questionable no matter his intent.

Offline ubit

« Reply #1411 on: July 02, 2011, 07:29:20 PM »
This is why I hate Twitter.

And Facebook.

And MySpace.
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." 
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1412 on: July 02, 2011, 07:39:18 PM »
Why? It's the people that use/misuse them? People can use them fine but some people can't without starting drama. MP seems to be in the latter category.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1413 on: July 02, 2011, 10:52:33 PM »
Yeah I don't give a damn what ET has to say honestly, but MP's retweet is really questionable no matter his intent.

If he took ET's tweet as a compliment both to DT and to him, why would it be questionable?

For those who think Trunk's comment was NOT negative : do you forget that this prick spilled the beans just before the official announcement of MM as the new DT drummer?

B.Lee

That's enough of that.  This forum does not exist for you to call people names, whether they are members of this forum or not. 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1414 on: July 02, 2011, 11:00:13 PM »
I got banned from mps Facebook page for destroying a7x. I had people so angry they were sick over it. Also my posts got deleted. The trolling was so epic I couldn't stop, was like the ending to return of the king. That's two mp things I've gotten banned from for trashing a7x. Well worth it.

As far as the tweet goes... Who cares really. Mp is now in a band with mike orlando. It's over Johnny. It's over.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1415 on: July 02, 2011, 11:06:31 PM »
The entire problem is that MP retweeted the tweet (in light of the fact that he is no longer in the band, and the tweet is about the band's very first output without him).

He really needs to learn to not hit the "post" button without thinking about the consequences. You'd think he'd learn by now given the past 9 months or so, and he shouldn't wonder why people leave him some of the comments and think some of the thoughts that they do. It's embarrassing on his part no matter his intentions.

MP is a respectable musician, but I really get turned off by his media presence, because it seems passive-aggressive toward the band in general, even if he is being honest and innocent. Some things you just need to keep to yourself and work it out on your own time, out of media spotlight. I almost believe he LIKES creating added/unnecessary public drama to the fans.

Agreed, on all accounts for the most part.  

It is so strange, because you watch the Transatlantic and Neal Morse DVDs, and in the behind the scenes, making of, etc. footage, Portnoy comes off as so down-to-earth and likable, but flip on a Dream Theater one, and it is like flipping a switch.  

As for liking to create unnecessary drama, I think it is more about him wanting...check that...NEEDING to be in the limelight, being talked about, etc.  With the new DT song out, notice how he went on a "tweet about AM" binge immediately after.  Imagine how it will be when the whole album is released in September! ;) :lol

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1416 on: July 02, 2011, 11:14:51 PM »
I got banned from mps Facebook page for destroying a7x. I had people so angry they were sick over it. Also my posts got deleted. The trolling was so epic I couldn't stop, was like the ending to return of the king. That's two mp things I've gotten banned from for trashing a7x. Well worth it.

As far as the tweet goes... Who cares really. Mp is now in a band with mike orlando. It's over Johnny. It's over.
NOTHING IS OVER!!!! NOTHING!!!! YOU JUST DON'T TURN IT OFF!!!

But while I don't really approve of trolling, A7X fans have done their share. Frankly, the band isn't even on the same radar of musicianship as DT. So they shouldn't even have a right to say anything bad about DT. My opinion of course.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1417 on: July 02, 2011, 11:33:29 PM »

You had the picture of JP and you were to his right with a black jacket right? I'm sorry to sound like a creeper, I just remember you  :P

At least I still have Taffer over there
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1418 on: July 02, 2011, 11:53:19 PM »

NOTHING IS OVER!!!! NOTHING!!!! YOU JUST DON'T TURN IT OFF!!!

But while I don't really approve of trolling, A7X fans have done their share. Frankly, the band isn't even on the same radar of musicianship as DT. So they shouldn't even have a right to say anything bad about DT. My opinion of course.
I could not agree more with the above statement.  :tup
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline clinks63

« Reply #1419 on: July 02, 2011, 11:55:27 PM »
remember MM played only tracks in the album, he didn't write it..JP did..that's why it is still sounded DT as before..and eddie trunk simply complements it..
he praised mangini in the first place, but knowing MP was DT, he was not able to resist to mention him..
Where's my welcome thread and 2012 DTF award for it:
https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=20154.0

"the third arrives..."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1420 on: July 02, 2011, 11:56:01 PM »

If he took ET's tweet as a compliment both to DT and to him, why would it be questionable? 

Because he is doing so publicly, and it is too open to interpretation. Like I said, MP should really consider any and every thing he posts, because his passion/emotion often makes him seem like he is taking little jabs at DT's expense after his departure. Even if he is innocent, it just isn't necessary.

I hate to use analogies but: It's like kids who are told not to touch each other. The one kid then puts his finger near the other kid almost touching him, saying "I'm not touching him!" Sure, he isn't, but to an outsider of that event, it's just as bad because the kid feels like he HAS to go there by getting close to the offense without actually doing it. The parallel is that MP is passively posting things that may not be blatantly obvious, but are open enough to make a good chunk of people go "Why would you post that, MP?"

Why can't MP just stay away from saying things, or just carefully word his stuff...especially retweeting someone else's opinion? There is an entire fanbase watching these things, and while not everyone even cares, those that follow the DT/MP world do and it makes us question his integrity on these matters. Someone posted a good example of something MP could have posted that used the same basic words but rephrased. Maybe MP needs a publicist...

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1421 on: July 02, 2011, 11:57:09 PM »
remember MM played only tracks in the album, he didn't write it..JP did..that's why it is still sounded DT as before..and eddie trunk simply complements it..
he praised mangini in the first place, but knowing MP was DT, he was not able to resist to mention him..

So in spite all evidence to the contrary JP completely wrote the drums, and DT is not DT without MP in the band.  Check and check.  True believer I see.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #1422 on: July 02, 2011, 11:58:33 PM »
JP laid out a basic beat and Mangini was given the freedom to interpret it how he wanted and then he wrote the drum parts. JR confirmed that on his chats the other day.

I hate when people overlook that crucial piece of information. Mangini DID write the drums on the entire album. :metal
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1423 on: July 03, 2011, 12:00:47 AM »

No he wasn't.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #1424 on: July 03, 2011, 12:07:07 AM »

No he wasn't.

so who was the drummer of DT before MM..if i said it wrong will this make it clear - "but knowing MP was IN DT"

JP laid out a basic beat and Mangini was given the freedom to interpret it how he wanted and then he wrote the drum parts. JR confirmed that on his chats the other day.

I hate when people overlook that crucial piece of information. Mangini DID write the drums on the entire album. :metal

i think it's how we interpret how JP explained the drums part..write and play is a completely different thing..write and play/add is another thing..

"the third arrives..."

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1425 on: July 03, 2011, 12:11:37 AM »
I love MP, and he's still probably not just in my top 5 favorite drummers ever but top 5 musicians, but I vomit in my mouth every time I read a "MP was DT" comment.

Offline clinks63

« Reply #1426 on: July 03, 2011, 12:17:51 AM »
I love MP, and he's still probably not just in my top 5 favorite drummers ever but top 5 musicians, but I vomit in my mouth every time I read a "MP was DT" comment.

Mike Portnoy was a drummer for Dream Theater or Mike Portnoy is a former drummer for Dream Theater..

i've made my correction..don't you still get it.. :P

"the third arrives..."

Offline TL

« Reply #1427 on: July 03, 2011, 01:07:54 AM »

Mike Portnoy was a drummer for Dream Theater or Mike Portnoy is a former drummer for Dream Theater..

i've made my correction..don't you still get it.. :P
Dude, you're talking nonsense. As in, I have no idea what you're trying to say.

Offline j

« Reply #1428 on: July 03, 2011, 01:20:12 AM »
He was correcting his earlier post that said "MP was DT".  He meant to say "MP was IN DT" or "MP was a former drummer for DT", etc.

-J

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1429 on: July 03, 2011, 01:57:59 AM »
That cymbal work is outrageous, I love it! :D

You bet! Listening closely, there is a MM world I discover with every listen. This guy is a freak!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline Bertielee

• RIP, Dad (1935-2017)
« Reply #1430 on: July 03, 2011, 01:59:37 AM »

For those who think Trunk's comment was NOT negative : do you forget that this prick spilled the beans just before the official announcement of MM as the new DT drummer?

B.Lee

That's enough of that.  This forum does not exist for you to call people names, whether they are members of this forum or not.  

OK, Bosky, won't do it again! Sorry!

B.Lee
"Life is divided into two sets of people : people who have lost and people who haven't yet." George Michael

Offline aurorablind

« Reply #1431 on: July 03, 2011, 02:08:08 AM »
Just to get back on track here... I think i've listened to the song probably more than 25 times since it came out. Im completely hooked! I think the last DT-song that gave me this "must..listen..to..song...AGAIN" feeling was Octavarium, and thats one of my absolute favs.
One of the main things i like about this song is actually the arrangement. The song manages to keep the listener interested, and never repeats things to many times (hello Nightmare to Remember). When a riff or a melody gets repeated it's never the same either. There may be a subtle change in the melody, rythm or guitar riff that keeps things interesting.
One thing i especially like is when the chorus repeats the last time. Mangini doubles the beat the first couple of bars. Here we believe that they will continue playing the chorus in double time for a complete round, but no! He goes back to the original rythm and ends the chorus the way it does the first couple of times.
These small, simple, subtle changes are just som goddamn appealing, and something i feel have been missing in their music for a while. Even after 25 listens there are things i didn't notice the last time listening. This is something that i feel DT where masters at, but have been hiding for a while.

And, goddamn. Mangini - i love you. Last year, when we started speculating about the whole auditioning process, the last drummer i wanted to be in DT was Mangini. I've never liked his style. I never liked his drum sound. I thought he was way to flashy etc etc. But, oh boy, how i have underestimated him. He fits DT like a glove. At the first listen it was like hearing SFAM-Portnoy playing, but after a couple of listens i can defenitely hear that he is very unique. He playes exactly what the song needs drumming-wise, and spices things up with subtle, but completely insane bits of drumming. I love the fact that it feels like he didn't go 100% Psycho on this one, and just proved to everybody that he fits. We're in for a big treat here guys (and girls).  :corn

FUCK. LOVING THIS  :metal
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 04:39:17 AM by aurorablind »

Offline tartarus250

• peace love and good happyness stuff
« Reply #1432 on: July 03, 2011, 04:20:07 AM »
this and i cant wait to hear him go ape :tup
The creation and destruction of harmonic and 'statistical' tensions is essential to the maintenance of compositional drama. Any composition (or improvisation) which remains consonant and 'regular' throughout is, for me, equivalent to watching a movie with only 'good guys' in it, or eating cottage cheese.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1433 on: July 03, 2011, 04:26:38 AM »
Eddie?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline El JoNNo

• EMOTRUCCI
« Reply #1434 on: July 03, 2011, 04:55:14 AM »
I didn't read 41 pages.. Has anyone mentioned that OTBOA sounds like James' solo material did the nasty with Liquid Tension Experiment. Obviously it is all the same guys but James, LTE and DT all had there own unique sound to a degree. When I first heard this single it was as if LTE wrote an instrumental and JLB sang over it, again to a degree. I fucking love it. If JLB does some vocal acrobatics on this album I will be pleased.