Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344491 times)

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1225 on: July 01, 2011, 10:43:59 PM »
Not to down on Portnoy, but honestly, all this stuff he's been doing this year... I dunno, it seems almost a little desperate.
If you look at a band like a relationship, and someone breaks up, and DT found their new "wife" as Mangini so awkwardly put it, meanwhile Portnoy is out there, doing this and that, recording and playing with all these different musicians, talking about how, "This is such an amazing year" etc etc. It's almost over-zealous... "Zealous are the righteous," right? Like, it honestly seems to me like MP is miserable. Miserable without DT. Like I said, he's putting on this brave face and saying how amazing things are, but that just seems like a desperate cry.
"I can't wait for you all to hear OUR songs!! The album RULES.." The way OUR is stressed...
Yeah.
Again, it's not a matter of disrespect, I'm just saying that I honestly don't buy that he's happy right now.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1226 on: July 01, 2011, 10:44:25 PM »
"Playing the new DT now for the first time on air, which sounds exactly like... DT. Mangini is a monster but there is only one MP of course."

Eddie Trunks twitter

:facepalm: ::)

Edit: The worst part was that MP RT'd it.
Weak thing for MP to RT for so many reasons.  In many ways he seems to be emotionally moving away from how angry he was back in September, and he's still taking bitter and demeaning potshots.  He seems to think that without him DT is an illegitimate shell of its former self.  He really thinks he was Dream Theater.
Ironically, though, by relaying the entire tweet, he's saying that DT is no worse off without him.

what he said was obviously a slight against the band.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1227 on: July 01, 2011, 10:47:19 PM »
Looks like Trunk deleted his post. First he deleted and blocked comments, now the post itself is gone.

I still see it.

I logged back in and it's gone. Refresh and see if it's still there.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1228 on: July 01, 2011, 10:48:24 PM »
"Playing the new DT now for the first time on air, which sounds exactly like... DT. Mangini is a monster but there is only one MP of course."

Eddie Trunks twitter

:facepalm: ::)

Edit: The worst part was that MP RT'd it.
Weak thing for MP to RT for so many reasons.  In many ways he seems to be emotionally moving away from how angry he was back in September, and he's still taking bitter and demeaning potshots.  He seems to think that without him DT is an illegitimate shell of its former self.  He really thinks he was Dream Theater.
Ironically, though, by relaying the entire tweet, he's saying that DT is no worse off without him.
what he said was obviously a slight against the band.
Well, Trunk is obviously taking up for his friend, but to say that the new DT single still sounds like DT means that Portnoy wasn't irreplaceable after all.

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #1229 on: July 01, 2011, 10:49:28 PM »
From what I can tell MP leaving was not a bad thing. We are (hopefully) getting a better album and drummer.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1230 on: July 01, 2011, 10:51:16 PM »
I'm sure he would have posted how awesome it was if Portnoy was still in the band. 

Offline Flacracker

« Reply #1231 on: July 01, 2011, 10:54:46 PM »
I'm sure he would have posted how awesome it was if Portnoy was still in the band. 

But with MP still in the band we would of never gotten a song like this.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1232 on: July 01, 2011, 10:55:22 PM »
I don't think that can be said for sure.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1233 on: July 01, 2011, 10:56:18 PM »
Well, sure, but he's friends with MP.  What else is he gonna say now: "Hey Mike, they really are just as good, if not better, without you."

« Reply #1234 on: July 01, 2011, 10:56:38 PM »

But with MP still in the band we would of never gotten a song like this.
Well, we might, but then you'd just hear him screaming along with LaBrie's lyrics in the background.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1235 on: July 01, 2011, 10:57:28 PM »
How about nothing?

What is MP going to do if he tweeted "New DT song sounds great!" unfollow him from twitter? Start crying?

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1236 on: July 01, 2011, 10:59:36 PM »
I guess that's a fair point, but I can understand why Trunk's friendship compelled him to still mention MP.  MP might have de-friended him on FB as well.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1237 on: July 01, 2011, 11:00:03 PM »
How about nothing?

What is MP going to do if he tweeted "New DT song sounds great!" unfollow him from twitter? Start crying?

he'd say

the MOB rules.....!!
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1238 on: July 01, 2011, 11:00:38 PM »
I don't really care that Trunk said it. He's not affiliated with DT, he's entitled to his opinion. The fact that MP retweeted it is what bothered me.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1239 on: July 01, 2011, 11:00:52 PM »
How about nothing?

he'd say

the MOB rules.....!!

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1240 on: July 01, 2011, 11:02:50 PM »
The one thing I've noticed is how MP has been posting a lot of links to interviews and AM samples and live videos since the DT single was released
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1241 on: July 01, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »
You know what i'm going to pretend this didn't happen.

So, On the Backs of Angels just hit half a million views, holy shit! :o

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1242 on: July 01, 2011, 11:08:18 PM »
I don't really care that Trunk said it. He's not affiliated with DT, he's entitled to his opinion. The fact that MP retweeted it is what bothered me.

I'm the same way. I really don't understand how anyone can blame Trunk, who has been a huge personal friend and fan of Portnoy for years now. Although we can't say for sure what Portnoy was thinking when he re-tweeted it (and I'd be careful with how much we blatantly assume and work of off), I think it was another in a growing string of bad PR moves on his part. I love Portnoy, but if musical gaffing could be equated to politics he'd be Joe Biden about now.

On another note, it's getting quite tiring seeing the occasional post about how MP is doing everything he's doing now to get back in DT. Do people have memories or do they simply choose to ignore the fact that MP has always involved himself in a million things, always been really excited about whatever he's working on, and always pushed stuff on social media sites as well as his own site? Nothing has changed except he's using time he would otherwise have used in DT on other projects.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1243 on: July 01, 2011, 11:11:08 PM »

I'm the same way. I really don't understand how anyone can blame Trunk, who has been a huge personal friend and fan of Portnoy for years now. Although we can't say for sure what Portnoy was thinking when he re-tweeted it (and I'd be careful with how much we blatantly assume and work of off), I think it was another in a growing string of bad PR moves on his part. I love Portnoy, but if musical gaffing could be equated to politics he'd be Joe Biden about now.

On another note, it's getting quite tiring seeing the occasional post about how MP is doing everything he's doing now to get back in DT. Do people have memories or do they simply choose to ignore the fact that MP has always involved himself in a million things, always been really excited about whatever he's working on, and always pushed stuff on social media sites as well as his own site? Nothing has changed except he's using time he would otherwise have used in DT on other projects.

THIS

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1244 on: July 01, 2011, 11:13:57 PM »
looks like he un-retweeted it. not seeing it at his page

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1245 on: July 01, 2011, 11:14:00 PM »
Clap clap, Nick.

And also, it's quite impressive the song has gotten half a million views by now. I don't think other DT singles have had this impact.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

« Reply #1246 on: July 01, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
I'm not sure if that's directed at me or not, but let me clarify. I wasn't saying that at all. I was just saying that the way he talks about these projects almost seems like he's trying too hard to seem like he's happy where he is, without DT. I'm not saying he's doing it to get back into DT, I'm just saying it seems like he's really digging for happiness.
And I'm not thriving on that fact. Like I said, I like MM in the band, and I think DT should keep him. So I genuinely hope that MP is happy where he is right now. It just doesn't seem like it to me.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1247 on: July 01, 2011, 11:17:47 PM »

Although we can't say for sure what Portnoy was thinking when he re-tweeted it (and I'd be careful with how much we blatantly assume and work of off), I think it was another in a growing string of bad PR moves on his part. I love Portnoy, but if musical gaffing could be equated to politics he'd be Joe Biden about now.

The best possible explanation would be that he didn't read it carefully. Even then it'd still be irresponsible.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1248 on: July 01, 2011, 11:23:32 PM »

At what point do MP's actions stop being gaffes and start being an expression of the fact that he loathes what the band is doing and wants to voice it?
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1249 on: July 01, 2011, 11:23:52 PM »

I am reminded of something Nick Mason once said about Roger Waters: He believes he did it all.  That's always a problem, when you're dealing with people who believe.  

While the people and circumstances are different, it is eerily similar.  And it is not at all surprising that Portnoy has always said that he was on Waters' side in the Floyd feud that lasted two decades.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1250 on: July 01, 2011, 11:26:30 PM »
If you un-tweet a re-tweet, is that a de-tweet?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1251 on: July 01, 2011, 11:28:31 PM »

it is now. portnoy has de-tweeted.

« Reply #1252 on: July 01, 2011, 11:31:08 PM »

it is now. portnoy has de-tweeted.
You know what that means? He's probably reading this thread right now.
Hey, Mr. Portnoy! We still love you!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1253 on: July 01, 2011, 11:31:43 PM »
I'm not sure if that's directed at me or not, but let me clarify. I wasn't saying that at all. I was just saying that the way he talks about these projects almost seems like he's trying too hard to seem like he's happy where he is, without DT. I'm not saying he's doing it to get back into DT, I'm just saying it seems like he's really digging for happiness.
And I'm not thriving on that fact. Like I said, I like MM in the band, and I think DT should keep him. So I genuinely hope that MP is happy where he is right now. It just doesn't seem like it to me.

Wasn't directed at anyone in particular, but just a bunch that I've seen post that general sentiment to one degree or another, thanks for explaining your post though. :)

Although we can't say for sure what Portnoy was thinking when he re-tweeted it (and I'd be careful with how much we blatantly assume and work of off), I think it was another in a growing string of bad PR moves on his part. I love Portnoy, but if musical gaffing could be equated to politics he'd be Joe Biden about now.

The best possible explanation would be that he didn't read it carefully. Even then it'd still be irresponsible.

In the age of the smart phones and on the go work, it's very possible, but as you said it would still be a mistake, albeit a far more forgivable one.

At what point do MP's actions stop being gaffes and start being an expression of the fact that he loathes what the band is doing and wants to voice it?

The point when he expresses himself in a clear manner, as opposed to us wildly guessing into his mind.
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1254 on: July 01, 2011, 11:42:00 PM »
Some of the things Mike has said or done in the last year have been poor decisions, IMO.  But I'm not seeing the problem with him re-tweeting this.  What's the issue?
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1255 on: July 01, 2011, 11:49:21 PM »
Some of the things Mike has said or done in the last year have been poor decisions, IMO.  But I'm not seeing the problem with him re-tweeting this.  What's the issue?

Because by re-tweeting it he's saying, "I like this and I want others to see it". It seems a tad arrogant considering the subject matter. That's what me thinks anyway.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1256 on: July 01, 2011, 11:51:18 PM »

So you don't think that by Trunk saying the new single sounds "....like DT" isn't a slight at the band?

« Reply #1257 on: July 01, 2011, 11:52:06 PM »
Because by re-tweeting it he's saying, "I like this and I want others to see it". It seems a tad arrogant considering the subject matter. That's what me thinks anyway.

Ehh... It's still not that bad. I mean, remember, he's not saying it, he just likes it. It's like, "Hey, this is what Trunk said about me. It's very flattering."

I mean, you can look at it in different ways, but I think people WANT MP to be arrogant about the whole matter, so that's what they're projecting onto his re-twit, and that's what they're seeing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1258 on: July 01, 2011, 11:53:18 PM »
Some of the things Mike has said or done in the last year have been poor decisions, IMO.  But I'm not seeing the problem with him re-tweeting this.  What's the issue?

So you don't think that by Trunk saying the new single sounds "....like DT" isn't a slight at the band?

I took that to mean that is sounds like DT... you know, that even with the drummer change it still sounded like a DT song, I took that as the compliment portion of the tweet.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1259 on: July 01, 2011, 11:54:15 PM »

Ehh... It's still not that bad. I mean, remember, he's not saying it, he just likes it. It's like, "Hey, this is what Trunk said about me. It's very flattering."

I mean, you can look at it in different ways, but I think people WANT MP to be arrogant about the whole matter, so that's what they're projecting onto his re-twit, and that's what they're seeing.

By re-tweeting it you are showing it to everyone who follows you. It is the closest thing to saying it you can get. It's splitting hairs to imply that re-tweeting something isn't saying it. It's agreeing with it, how many times have you agreed or liked something but wouldn't say it?