Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344507 times)

Offline darkshade

Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1190 on: July 01, 2011, 05:31:28 PM »
so i was thinking.....

i really need the rest of this album now

I agree

It's almost like they released this song waaayyyy too early.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1191 on: July 01, 2011, 06:30:54 PM »
I listened to this in the car like 8 times today.

The riff that starts right before JLB sings "Blurring lines..." is so rocking. :metal

This song gets BETTER with every listen. It's organic, somewhat dense, and it feels like there is very little "fat" on the song.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1192 on: July 01, 2011, 06:40:52 PM »
Gave the song another listen. It's just not sticking with me, aside from the mildly interesting piano solo.

Still not as bad as it could have been. The choice singles from SC and BC&SL were far more embarrassing.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1193 on: July 01, 2011, 08:32:52 PM »
It's finally clicking. Great feeling.

Offline ACID_FOX

• DTF's Offical Arctic Monkeys Fanboy.
  • But You're Just Fiction, And I'm A Twisted Boy.
« Reply #1194 on: July 01, 2011, 08:39:47 PM »
Jeez, the comments on MP's Facebook make me cringe...

"after listening to the new DT teaser it's hilarious to hear those guys attempt to sound awesome without the one who made them so. Mike Portnoy, very soon, do I see a huge apology coming from DT to you, and one especially from Mike Magani, apologizing to you for ever thinking he had it in him to replicate your style. It just can't be done. Hail Mike Portnoy!"

"New DT song? That piece of s*** on drums??? Mike, fans can see now who was MIKE OF DREAM THEATER! You are the biggest reason for band succes in 25 years. I'm still fan of DT, but honestly...this new single is embarasing for all DT's previous work. They hadn't listen to you with that advice you gave to them (temporary pause of bend's work) and now all world can see that you was smarter then them. Hail Mike!"

I mean...seriously?
I only like ablums that I can xanascholithoun.

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1195 on: July 01, 2011, 08:43:13 PM »
Anyone else getting a major Iron Maiden vibe at 2:58-3:06? I love it.

Jeez, the comments on MP's Facebook make me cringe...

*snip*

I mean...seriously?

Wow. I bet MP would embarrassed to read those...

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1196 on: July 01, 2011, 08:44:34 PM »
Those comments are pathetic.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1197 on: July 01, 2011, 08:47:34 PM »
Are those serious posts?  I don't put it past people to have extreme opinions, but it's hard to tell who's serious and who's not with stuff like that.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1198 on: July 01, 2011, 08:49:29 PM »
Are those serious posts?  I don't put it past people to have extreme opinions, but it's hard to tell who's serious and who's not with stuff like that.

Yeah, check out MP's page, there's hundereds. Some of the most closed minded people I've ever seen, with the occasional "just enjoy both and shut up."

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1199 on: July 01, 2011, 08:52:40 PM »
It's funny that this single got overwhelming and positive respose, much better than the reception A Rite of Passage (or Constant Motion, for that matter) had if I remember correctly.

And yeah, I really can't be on MP's facebook page and twitter because of the amount of nonsense and stupidity I read there. Hell, I haven't liked at all what I've heard of Adrenaline Mob and I ain't saying "it's obvious that MP's glory stayed with Dream Theater..."  :lol

Also, I don't quite get the part where Mangini needs to apologize to Portnoy haha
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1200 on: July 01, 2011, 08:58:06 PM »

Yeah, check out MP's page, there's hundereds. Some of the most closed minded people I've ever seen, with the occasional "just enjoy both and shut up."
Fair enough, but I quit visiting there years ago.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1201 on: July 01, 2011, 08:58:31 PM »
Yeah, I remember one guy saying "Wheres the I&A/SFAM spirit!?" Ironic, considering this track sonds more like those albums than anything off the last three. It's hard to take what they're saying seriously, if DT hadn't told anyone MP had been replaced by MM no one would know any different and this song would be universally praised.

Fanboys...haters gonna hate.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1202 on: July 01, 2011, 09:00:22 PM »
Yeah, but there's always others willing to make them look even worse by pretending to be one. :lol

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1203 on: July 01, 2011, 09:01:10 PM »
I always know that people with Mike Portnoy as a facebook profile picture are never a good thing.  :coolio
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1204 on: July 01, 2011, 09:04:09 PM »
It's clear that these people aren't intelligent enough to be posting this stuff sarcastically or ironically, they're the sort of people you see in the crowd on the Score DVD.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1205 on: July 01, 2011, 09:05:45 PM »
It's clear that these people aren't intelligent enough to be posting this stuff sarcastically or ironically, they're the sort of people you see in the crowd on the Score DVD.

lol hefdaddy42
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1206 on: July 01, 2011, 09:43:18 PM »

lol hefdaddy42

You know what I mean :lol

Offline ubit

« Reply #1207 on: July 01, 2011, 09:44:21 PM »
To be fair, some people on here seem to have the opposite viewpoint, and act like Portnoy was this evil force in the band that has been eradicated, and now DT will suddenly be 10 x's better now.  They blame MP for all things bad in the DT world.  It is kind of ridiculous, although not as extreme-sounding as the MP Facebook comments.  
"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing left to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." 
Antoine de Saint-Exupéry

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1208 on: July 01, 2011, 09:47:27 PM »
Really stupid, but not surprising in the least bit.  I knew idiotic fanboy comments would show up.  I bet even Mike saw that Dream Theater was releasing a new song, and then just went to his facebook page and just  :corn

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1209 on: July 01, 2011, 09:47:46 PM »
To be fair, some people on here seem to have the opposite viewpoint, and act like Portnoy was this evil force in the band that has been eradicated, and now DT will suddenly be 10 x's better now.  They blame MP for all things bad in the DT world.  It is kind of ridiculous, although not as extreme-sounding as the MP Facebook comments.  

Yeah, but there's a difference between having an opinion and discussing it with other fans and making yourself look like a retard, as those comments do.

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1210 on: July 01, 2011, 09:50:19 PM »
I am interested to see what MP has to say about the new track though, but I'm not expecting anything contraversial. That won't stop his comment bieng analyzed word for word by some people, though. :lol

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: July 01, 2011, 09:52:55 PM »
I'm thinking he won't comment, and his silence will still be analyzed word for word.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1212 on: July 01, 2011, 09:55:28 PM »
Yeah, but even that would be taken negatively and turn into, "Oh, now he's snubbing DT by not even taking the time to comment on their song!  He blasted Kevin Moore for snubbing DT, and now he's doing the same thing!  What a hypocrite!"  Honestly, I think the smartest thing for him to do is just give a polite, short response along the lines of, "I've heard it.  Sounds good.  But for now, I'd rather dwell on the music I am busy creating.  Thanks."  I think most reasonable people would understand that.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1213 on: July 01, 2011, 09:56:24 PM »
I am interested to see what MP has to say about the new track though, but I'm not expecting anything contraversial. That won't stop his comment bieng analyzed word for word by some people, though. :lol

I wouldn't blame him if he never commented on it, because blabbermouth would have it within five minutes and would make a headline like "Portnoy likes new Dream theater song" and the commenters would be like, "lol acting like he likes it, we all know he hates it.".  But if he said "I hate it"  They would say "he's just mad that they wouldn't let him back in."   ::)

Offline ACID_FOX

« Reply #1214 on: July 01, 2011, 09:59:02 PM »
He'll have to eventually, Kevin Moore had the advantage of becoming a ghost when he left DT, while MP is arguably far more in the spotlight at the moment than he was in DT. It'll come up in an AM interview or something, he can't avoid it forever.

Offline XianL

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1215 on: July 01, 2011, 10:13:30 PM »
Honestly, I think the smartest thing for him to do is just give a polite, short response along the lines of, "I've heard it.  Sounds good.  But for now, I'd rather dwell on the music I am busy creating.  Thanks."  I think most reasonable people would understand that.

Well put, I agree.

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
« Reply #1216 on: July 01, 2011, 10:14:19 PM »
"Playing the new DT now for the first time on air, which sounds exactly like... DT. Mangini is a monster but there is only one MP of course."

Eddie Trunks twitter

:facepalm: ::)

Edit: The worst part was that MP RT'd it.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #1217 on: July 01, 2011, 10:18:46 PM »
"Playing the new DT now for the first time on air, which sounds exactly like... DT. Mangini is a monster but there is only one MP of course."

Eddie Trunks twitter

Weak thing for MP to RT for so many reasons.  In many ways he seems to be emotionally moving away from how angry he was back in September, and he's still taking bitter and demeaning potshots.  He seems to think that without him DT is an illegitimate shell of its former self.  He really thinks he was Dream Theater.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:24:43 PM by ReaPsTA »
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline bss4life15

« Reply #1218 on: July 01, 2011, 10:23:43 PM »

Eddie Trunks twitter

Weak thing for MP to RT for so many reasons.

Here we go again :facepalm:

Offline snapple

• Dad-bod Expert
Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #1219 on: July 01, 2011, 10:25:27 PM »
So, do You Guys think that this will be opener on tour? I think not, They should start with something old and classic for me ;)
I disagree. I like it when tour openers are the first song of the promoted album, and is by far more common. It gives a fresh, newer start, in my opinion. After that... throw in the classics  :laugh:

Maiden opened with Wicker Man/Ghost of The Navigator and peppered in El Dorado somewhere in the set. The show was immense.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1220 on: July 01, 2011, 10:27:09 PM »
lol portnoy
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1221 on: July 01, 2011, 10:30:41 PM »
this is so unbelievably pathetic

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1222 on: July 01, 2011, 10:40:56 PM »
Looks like Trunk deleted his post. First he deleted and blocked comments, now the post itself is gone.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #1223 on: July 01, 2011, 10:42:19 PM »

Eddie Trunks twitter

Weak thing for MP to RT for so many reasons.  In many ways he seems to be emotionally moving away from how angry he was back in September, and he's still taking bitter and demeaning potshots.  He seems to think that without him DT is an illegitimate shell of its former self.  He really thinks he was Dream Theater.
Ironically, though, by relaying the entire tweet, he's saying that DT is no worse off without him.

Offline Bacong

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1224 on: July 01, 2011, 10:42:58 PM »
Looks like Trunk deleted his post. First he deleted and blocked comments, now the post itself is gone.

I still see it.