Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 345185 times)

Offline Dillster22

Re: On the Backs of Angels Thread
« Reply #1155 on: July 01, 2011, 06:42:32 AM »
i like it when in the end they play i think the pre chorous and than play it in normal 4/44  DT doesn't do that much

I would like to hear DT play in 4/44 time  :P

Offline Knguro

« Reply #1156 on: July 01, 2011, 07:08:12 AM »
i like it when in the end they play i think the pre chorous and than play it in normal 4/44  DT doesn't do that much

I would like to hear DT play in 4/44 time  :P

hahahi think they can make it possible. hahaha  :rollin
...Here before me is my soul, I'm learning to live...
And your English is just fine. :tup

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1157 on: July 01, 2011, 07:13:32 AM »
we spiral twards disasterrrrrrrrrrr

:metal

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1158 on: July 01, 2011, 07:37:08 AM »
we spiral twards disasterrrrrrrrrrr
I really don't know how the rhythm or the melody of that part goes, but the next line is:
A nightmuurrrrr to remembaaaaaaaaahhh
[Then the Main riff in Constant Motion]

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1159 on: July 01, 2011, 07:42:25 AM »
God, I so wanna just convert this song to mp4 so I can listen to it on my iPod, but I'm afraid if I do I'll get sick of it.  Yet for some reason I feel as though this is the sorta song I won't really get sick of, just used to.  Even so...

:zeltar:
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline ZKX-2099

• The Drifting Drifter
« Reply #1160 on: July 01, 2011, 08:10:15 AM »
I like it over all. It would most likely fall mid tier over all with all songs. Solid. Good lyrics again. YAY

Oh hey... I can hear the bass.

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1161 on: July 01, 2011, 08:16:39 AM »
Just listened too it again...gave it a rest yesterday... :lol  Great tune!!

Gotta love it... in 2 days 432,000 listens  :tup :metal :metal :metal

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1162 on: July 01, 2011, 08:23:52 AM »
I'm almost sure that 8:46 is a edit version of OTBOA, last chorus comes to roughly, instrumental part is just too short, just MUST be longer, if I noticed that, DT for sure did that too and They don't let us to listen to full version of the song until the album comes out.

I'll be surprised if this is an edited version.  If they were condensing it down to be a single, that long intro probably would have been the first thing to get cut down. 

Online Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1163 on: July 01, 2011, 08:27:18 AM »
Yeah the reason for an edit is often to play them on the radio. I can't see many radio stations playing a song that's 8:46.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline nikatapi

« Reply #1164 on: July 01, 2011, 08:33:10 AM »
This song is definately a grower. I really like hearing JM througout the song, and i really enjoy the drumming.

Offline Unimatrix

• The lurking clown
  • They float...
« Reply #1165 on: July 01, 2011, 08:47:44 AM »
I've only listened to it 4 times on the day of release and not once since. Couldn't remember any melody of it yesterday, but then I woke up today with the chorus melody in my head, so it can't be that unmemorable! To me the song is catchier than its' title, I constantly think it is called "On the WINGS of Angels"  ;D

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
  • The Original Unseasoned Fan
« Reply #1166 on: July 01, 2011, 08:57:04 AM »
I'm almost sure that 8:46 is a edit version of OTBOA, last chorus comes to roughly, instrumental part is just too short, just MUST be longer, if I noticed that, DT for sure did that too and They don't let us to listen to full version of the song until the album comes out.

Dude. Why would anyone release a 9 minute single? Come on, now. :lol
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1167 on: July 01, 2011, 09:11:02 AM »
Considering there are 9 songs on the album, and 9 x 8 is 72, I HIGHLY doubt there are many songs on this album which break 8 -10 minute mark. Which is a good thing-- there weren't many on Images and Words, either.

Now watch "The Shaman's Trance" be a two-minute tribal drum solo by Mangini which leads into a 20 minute epic  :biggrin:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1168 on: July 01, 2011, 09:32:45 AM »
Yeah the reason for an edit is often to play them on the radio. I can't see many radio stations playing a song that's 8:46.
This, it is almost certainly not an edit.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1169 on: July 01, 2011, 09:37:30 AM »
on the subject of unmemorable,
ive had the 'tears fall..' chorus stuck in my head since wednesday

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #1170 on: July 01, 2011, 10:16:14 AM »
This, it is almost certainly not an edit.
Hm, I didn't think of it... Maybe you're right ;)

Offline Dillster22

« Reply #1171 on: July 01, 2011, 10:20:26 AM »
Now watch "The Shaman's Trance" be a two-minute tribal drum solo by Mangini which leads into a 20 minute epic  :biggrin:

Really? I heard The Shaman's Trance is a 17 minute flute solo played solely by JM.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1172 on: July 01, 2011, 10:23:48 AM »
The only song who got that kind of treatment was Pull Me Under; fans were calling radio stations demanding the full track. Can't see it happening with OTBoA.

Offline EPICVIEW

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1173 on: July 01, 2011, 10:33:11 AM »
WOOT!!!!

I LIKE!

HAPPY :tup
"its so relieving to know that your leaving as soon as you get paid, Its so relaxing to know that your asking now that you got your way"

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1174 on: July 01, 2011, 10:59:23 AM »
The only song who got that kind of treatment was Pull Me Under; fans were calling radio stations demanding the full track. Can't see it happening with OTBoA.

how times have changed... what's a radio stations?

:P

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #1175 on: July 01, 2011, 11:02:06 AM »
Admittedly, I've listened to the track probably a bit too much the past couple days. The strange thing is, I haven't lost any of my interest towards it. If anything, I'm enjoying listening to it now more than the first few spins.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #1176 on: July 01, 2011, 11:07:36 AM »

how times have changed... what's a radio stations?

:P

EXACTLY.

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1177 on: July 01, 2011, 12:16:08 PM »
It's weird... the song is good and everything but I can't remember anything from it right now. I think the melodies aren't that strong or catchy, IMO.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1178 on: July 01, 2011, 12:21:37 PM »
It's been mentioned before but that's a strong characteristic of prog music.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1179 on: July 01, 2011, 12:23:04 PM »
Admittedly, I've listened to the track probably a bit too much the past couple days. The strange thing is, I haven't lost any of my interest towards it. If anything, I'm enjoying listening to it now more than the first few spins.

INDEED
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline jonny108

• Snaaaake Eater
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ille qui nos omnes servabit
« Reply #1180 on: July 01, 2011, 12:28:48 PM »
I really want a 320kb MP3 of this or higher so I can fully indulge myself into the mix and hear everything how it's supposed to in 5.1 rather than shitty youtube  :sadpanda:

Offline darkshot

« Reply #1181 on: July 01, 2011, 12:38:46 PM »
Listening to the song again, I love the part around 4:38 where JP goes into that weird but awesome riff, and JLB's vocals are dead on...  This song definitely is growing on me, although I'm hoping it will be the weak song on the album compared to the rest.  ;D

Offline wammabe

« Reply #1182 on: July 01, 2011, 12:45:03 PM »
My favorite beginning on a DT song along with "The Ones Who Help To Set The Sun" and "A Change of Seasons". I'm glad Jordan is finally using great keyboard sounds again. This was originally going to be a large post but I rage-quit when I realized I couldn't write down the way I felt about the song.

EDIT: After listening to it a couple of times, I realized it has EXTREMELY catchy vocals.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 01:18:10 PM by wammabe »

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1183 on: July 01, 2011, 12:46:42 PM »
Listening to the song again, I love the part around 4:38 where JP goes into that weird but awesome riff, and JLB's vocals are dead on...  This song definitely is growing on me, although I'm hoping it will be the weak song on the album compared to the rest.  ;D

Well, I really, really doubt their first single will be the best the album has to offer.

I wouldn't call it a 'weak' song, but I'm hoping this album won't have weak songs at all.

Also, I'm pretty sure that when Roadrunner uploaded the song, it was the best quality they had. I actually ripped it from Youtube at 320, and it sounds pretty damn good in my car.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline ehra

« Reply #1184 on: July 01, 2011, 03:05:28 PM »
It's been mentioned before but that's a strong characteristic of prog music.

Unless this is suddenly the proggiest song DT has every done, I'm not seeing it.

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #1185 on: July 01, 2011, 03:21:30 PM »
so i was thinking.....

i really need the rest of this album now

i can't stop listening to the damn track and when i want more dream theater i go back to their older catalog it's not the same

what is happening here!

Offline Scard

• Custom Title
  • RORORO
« Reply #1186 on: July 01, 2011, 03:24:41 PM »
so i was thinking.....

i can't stop listening to the damn track and when i want more dream theater i go back to their older catalog it's not the same

what is happening here!

Wait a few months, it'll leak, then you have a real problem. To listen early...or to wait?

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #1187 on: July 01, 2011, 04:46:40 PM »
so i was thinking.....

what is happening here!

Wait a few months, it'll leak, then you have a real problem. To listen early...or to wait?

yes you have a point there good sir...

that is definitely a conundrum

either way the album will be purchased, propel this album to no 1 on the billboard

Offline jsem

Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #1188 on: July 01, 2011, 04:47:33 PM »

I think of it when I listened to The Yes Album for the first time. I really liked it but I couldn't remember much of it other than "I've Seen All Good People" (remembering it from the radio) and the last part of "Starship Trooper". unklejman has it right: it keeps bringing you back because of the feeling, not any hooks. It almost forces you to listen closer.
I had the EXACT experience listening to Aquarius by Haken the first two times or so. But I don't know why it was, because the melody lines are really strong.. I guess I just really loved the album from the get go.

Offline John94

« Reply #1189 on: July 01, 2011, 04:58:08 PM »

I think of it when I listened to The Yes Album for the first time. I really liked it but I couldn't remember much of it other than "I've Seen All Good People" (remembering it from the radio) and the last part of "Starship Trooper". unklejman has it right: it keeps bringing you back because of the feeling, not any hooks. It almost forces you to listen closer.
I had the EXACT experience listening to Aquarius by Haken the first two times or so. But I don't know why it was, because the melody lines are really strong.. I guess I just really loved the album from the get go.

Me too. I loved Aquarius. So driven by the melody and song depth then it goes straight into the crazy musical genius.

Would love to see this on ADTOE.