Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 345114 times)

Online Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #1085 on: June 30, 2011, 01:25:44 PM »

10. These Walls
11. Afterlife
12. Panic Attack
15. As I Am
17. Caught in a Web
18. You Not Me
19. Through Her Eyes
20. Burning My Soul
21. Status Seeker

These were all singles?

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1086 on: June 30, 2011, 01:57:46 PM »
I don't think Octavarium had any singles, as I remember at the time there being talk about how I Walk Beside You would have been a single had their record company at the time promoted the record at all (which they did not).

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1087 on: June 30, 2011, 02:06:28 PM »
Yeah, people have to stop getting singles and a web promo (of which the new track is) confused.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1088 on: June 30, 2011, 02:09:44 PM »
Yeah, people have to stop getting singles and a web promo (of which the new track is) confused.

I get what you're saying, but:

Dream Theater returns with their first single "On The Backs of Angels" with new drummer Mike Mangini. Their highly anticipated new album, A Dramatic Turn of Events will be out September 13th

That's from the description of the video on RR's Youtube.  So if we are wrong about it being a single, we're at least justified in our reasons for thinking it is one.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline reneranucci

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1089 on: June 30, 2011, 02:15:02 PM »
What is everybody's opinion about the overall "mood" of the song?

To me, it's very difficult to define, and probably more complex in that aspect than other DT songs. As it happens with PT por example, it's difficult to just qualify the song as "heavy", "happy", "sad", triumphant, etc. I'd say "hopeful" or something like that, but there are lots of diverging elements in the song. The tone set by the introduction is completely different from that of the outro, and the piano and guitar solos are kinda enigmatic and do not try to convey emotion just for the sake of it, for example. The guitar is heavy but not overly agressive, like they were at the brink of exploding but decided to restrain themselves. I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into the song.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1090 on: June 30, 2011, 02:20:10 PM »
I Walk Beside You WAS a single for Octavarium. So was As I Am for Train of Thought

Offline Beautiful Agony

• My hovercraft is full of eels
« Reply #1091 on: June 30, 2011, 02:52:06 PM »
I just want to say that I  :heart this song.

That is all.  :biggrin:

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1092 on: June 30, 2011, 03:00:38 PM »
I don't think Octavarium had any singles, as I remember at the time there being talk about how I Walk Beside You would have been a single had their record company at the time promoted the record at all (which they did not).

As far as I know those two were released together. Not technically a "single" I guess, but near as dammit.

I really dig it. It's fairly heavy, but I concur with the popular opinion that there is something quite organic about it. There are chunky riffs, but it's not an abviously chunky song. Terrific stuff!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1093 on: June 30, 2011, 03:07:19 PM »
I Walk Beside You WAS a single for Octavarium. So was As I Am for Train of Thought

It wasn't...
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bloop

• The opadismo
  • Mobilizing to contribute to the alliance
« Reply #1094 on: June 30, 2011, 03:08:59 PM »
Octavarium had no singles. Although it had a few tracks that were definitely single-appropriate.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1095 on: June 30, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »

It wasn't...

It was made to be a single. The record company wouldnt support it or the band so it went nowhere

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1096 on: June 30, 2011, 03:11:37 PM »
It wasn't released, so it technically was not a "single."  But does it really matter? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1097 on: June 30, 2011, 03:12:04 PM »
I have to say that after repeated listens, I'm hugely impressed with this track. It sounds to me like they've gone all out to make a "classic" DT album - always a wise move when a band loses a central member. I really can't wait to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. If this is anything to go by, we're looking at another IaW or 8V.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1098 on: June 30, 2011, 03:13:05 PM »
It wasn't released, so it technically was not a "single."  But does it really matter? 

Yes! My life depends on it!!!

;)

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1099 on: June 30, 2011, 03:14:56 PM »
If this is anything to go by, we're looking at another IaW or 8V.

In other words, we could be looking at their tenth consecutive masterpiece?  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Rich Wilson

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1100 on: June 30, 2011, 03:19:53 PM »
^ Yeah, it's funny though. Although I liked it at the time, I hardly ever listen to SC these days. I still think BC&SL has some awesome moments though.

Offline darkshade

« Reply #1101 on: June 30, 2011, 03:21:02 PM »
If this is anything to go by, we're looking at another IaW or 8V.

In other words, we could be looking at their tenth consecutive masterpiece?  :biggrin:

I think we're looking at an album 10 years from now people will be going "The new DT album is so good, we might be looking at another SFAM or ADTOE"

Offline abydos

• DT.net
« Reply #1102 on: June 30, 2011, 03:25:18 PM »
I have to say that after repeated listens, I'm hugely impressed with this track. It sounds to me like they've gone all out to make a "classic" DT album - always a wise move when a band loses a central member. I really can't wait to hear what the rest of the album sounds like. If this is anything to go by, we're looking at another IaW or 8V.

The song was definitely an improvement from previous albums (imo at least) but I think this is a bit too optimistic. Sound/mix issues aside, the lyrics and vocal delivery aren't on that same level as Images (closer to 8V, but at least to me that's not saying too much).
With a title like this and the hope of LaBrie's vocals to be more like Frameshift or <SDOIT, the lack of variety and dynamics in the singing came as an unpleasant surprise. As for the title, I was expecting some better, deeper, more poetic and personal lyrics.

That said, I really like JR's piano (not his synths though), JP's tone and the cleaner sound of the bass.

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1103 on: June 30, 2011, 03:31:27 PM »
^ Yeah, it's funny though. Although I liked it at the time, I hardly ever listen to SC these days. I still think BC&SL has some awesome moments though.
BC&SL is one of my favourites, but yeah SC was a little weaker. The three album run of ToT-Octavarium-SC all have the same thing for me: overall good albums with some amazing stuff, but a bit of mediocre stuff as well. BC&SL was a fantastic return to form though, and it sounds like this new one could be even better!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1104 on: June 30, 2011, 03:35:02 PM »

I liked SC when it first came out, and then got tired of it quickly.  But in the last year or so, I've really come to appreciate it again.  As I've said in other threads, about 1/2 - 2/3 of the album is just amazing and stands up well against anything in their catalog, IMO.  So I just leave out the stuff I don't like and have been really enjoying the rest.  I can listen to ITPOE (whole song) > Forsaken > Constant Motion over and over. 

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1105 on: June 30, 2011, 03:36:26 PM »
I've always really liked SC.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #1106 on: June 30, 2011, 03:43:27 PM »
I feel that the SC song that has best aged is Repentance. The chord progression of the ending is just mindblowing.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline splent

• Moderator Emeritus
  • DTF's resident music educator/conductor
« Reply #1107 on: June 30, 2011, 03:46:51 PM »
SC is just meh for me, but it has it's moments.
I don’t know what to put here anymore

Offline FiberglassMoon

« Reply #1108 on: June 30, 2011, 04:04:52 PM »
So is OtBoA isn't a single?

The description of the song on Roadrunner's page says "Dream Theater returns with their first single "On The Backs of Angels" with new drummer Mike Mangini." so I've been under the assumption this is a single

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
« Reply #1109 on: June 30, 2011, 04:05:55 PM »
Maybe it IS a single, but not released as a single yet :O

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1110 on: June 30, 2011, 04:09:47 PM »
 :lol  Folks!!  What does it matter if it is or isn't released as an official single.  It's not like we'll see it in Casey Kasem's American Top 40!! :lol  It's used more as a promotion tool for the album.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1111 on: June 30, 2011, 04:23:09 PM »
Uh-huh-huh-huh.  You said "tool."  :bnb:

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #1112 on: June 30, 2011, 04:32:15 PM »

LOL!!
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1113 on: June 30, 2011, 04:47:12 PM »

Uuuuuhhhh.  Settle down Boskvis!
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1114 on: June 30, 2011, 06:13:26 PM »

To me, it's very difficult to define, and probably more complex in that aspect than other DT songs. As it happens with PT por example, it's difficult to just qualify the song as "heavy", "happy", "sad", triumphant, etc. I'd say "hopeful" or something like that, but there are lots of diverging elements in the song. The tone set by the introduction is completely different from that of the outro, and the piano and guitar solos are kinda enigmatic and do not try to convey emotion just for the sake of it, for example. The guitar is heavy but not overly agressive, like they were at the brink of exploding but decided to restrain themselves. I don't know, maybe I'm reading too much into the song.

I couldn't agree more. In fact, I picked up my brother from the hospital this morning and immediately showed him the song and after hearing it he said, "Wow! They really captured a certain mood." I asked him to elaborate and he couldn't explain it. And either can I. But I love the mood of it. It's a fascinating song in that respect.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline DreamerTV

• Italian DTFer
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1115 on: June 30, 2011, 06:22:44 PM »
347390 views in one day and a half.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1116 on: June 30, 2011, 06:29:27 PM »
Honestly, I'm kind of shocked at the way DT has handled releasing this song.  I think it would be much smarter for them to get an album pre-order set up first and then have people get a special unlock code ONLY after they have purchased the album.  The video should then be viewable only to those fans who can prove they purchased the album.  That's the smart thing to do.  Then they could be huge and successful like Queensryche.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #1117 on: June 30, 2011, 06:34:20 PM »
Honestly, I'm kind of shocked at the way DT has handled releasing this song.  I think it would be much smarter for them to get an album pre-order set up first and then have people get a special unlock code ONLY after they have purchased the album.  The video should then be viewable only to those fans who can prove they purchased the album.  That's the smart thing to do.  Then they could be huge and successful like Queensryche.

I detect slight hints of sarcasm.  :P
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1118 on: June 30, 2011, 06:36:50 PM »
Who, me?  :innocent:

Online Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1119 on: June 30, 2011, 06:43:28 PM »
That would help but they know the market. People use youtube, and are interested in DT where else are you gonna find new DT than Youtube. Look at how much views its gotten, that alone should show its a successful move, and a great one.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD