Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344505 times)

Offline GasparXR

• Why would I put something personal here?
Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #875 on: June 29, 2011, 08:05:59 PM »
This song is good, but it isn't catchy at all. That's the biggest complaint about it.

I give it a 6/10.
You must not like 99% of DT's catalog, because that 99% is not meant to be catchy. And it gets a 6 for not being catchy? Please elaborate on why you think it should be catchy.

Offline ironsam

« Reply #876 on: June 29, 2011, 08:06:08 PM »
To the people saying the drums sound quiet - wait until the album comes out.  The Youtube compression is bad for drum sounds.
Exactly.  This is a very compressed version so the mixing can't be judged accurately.

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #877 on: June 29, 2011, 08:07:32 PM »
catchy means poppy, go listen to gaga... .
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline RuRoRul

« Reply #878 on: June 29, 2011, 08:09:40 PM »
This song is good, but it isn't catchy at all. That's the biggest complaint about it.

I give it a 6/10.
You must not like 99% of DT's catalog, because that 99% is not meant to be catchy. And it gets a 6 for not being catchy? Please elaborate on why you think it should be catchy.

Yeah! Don't you know that if you want to say the same thing in prog-land you say "unmemorable vocal melodies"?

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #879 on: June 29, 2011, 08:11:43 PM »
Oh sorry. I read catchy and not unmemorable vocal melodies. My bad I guess.

• Your majesty
« Reply #880 on: June 29, 2011, 08:12:21 PM »
 ::)
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #881 on: June 29, 2011, 08:14:00 PM »
::)
Lol not my fault. He could have said that the vocals aren't catchy enough. I thought he meant the song as a whole.

• Your majesty
« Reply #882 on: June 29, 2011, 08:15:01 PM »
Im on your side.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #883 on: June 29, 2011, 08:16:09 PM »

fuck, no. Catchiness and pop music are related, but that doesn't mean prog or metal can't be catchy. That's like, one of the biggest stereotypes of prog (OMG LOTS OF TIME SIGNATURES AND WEIRD THINGS THAT I CAN ONLY DIGEST!) and it kinda sucks.

And for the record, GaGa has some cool stuff.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline gabeh1018

« Reply #884 on: June 29, 2011, 08:16:32 PM »
all this talk about the drums being low, they come in strong and even the snare has kick, but as James comes in it then lowers into the mix for whatever reason if anyone else has noticed this..... also is it just me or does some of the palm muted guitar riffs in the beginning and end remind you of the beginning of raw dog

• Your majesty
« Reply #885 on: June 29, 2011, 08:17:12 PM »

fuck, no. Catchiness and pop music are related, but that doesn't mean prog or metal can't be catchy. That's like, one of the biggest stereotypes of prog (OMG LOTS OF TIME SIGNATURES AND WEIRD THINGS THAT I CAN ONLY DIGEST!) and it kinda sucks.

And for the record, GaGa has some cool stuff.

wow, calm down.

and yes she does I guess. but DT isn't gaga.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #886 on: June 29, 2011, 08:19:40 PM »
I'm chilled, don't worry. Discussing something doesn't mean I get crazy.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

• Your majesty
« Reply #887 on: June 29, 2011, 08:20:44 PM »
its cool man :heart

Offline Aniland

« Reply #888 on: June 29, 2011, 08:20:51 PM »
Am I the only one who likes the album art? I don't understand it, which is what I like about it. It's thought provoking and totally unexpected.

I'm with you. I love the album art.

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #889 on: June 29, 2011, 08:21:23 PM »

I give it a 6/10.
In my book, catchy mean attractive or appealing, something that can be easily remembered. When I first listened to DT, I could sing their songs at work because there was that special vibe to them.

OTBOA doesn't have that vibe. There's just nothing special about it.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #891 on: June 29, 2011, 08:23:45 PM »
I just listened to the song a couple more times at home using some good speakers. It sounds a lot better than it did with headphones but I still can't dig the song and I think I might be going mad cause everyone is saying how they love DT going back to the more proggy side but I still fail to see it myself! They have some proggy moments but the whole of the song just sounds to metal with some prog in it to me.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline dongringo

« Reply #892 on: June 29, 2011, 08:24:08 PM »
all this talk about the drums being low, they come in strong and even the snare has kick, but as James comes in it then lowers into the mix for whatever reason if anyone else has noticed this.....

These are symptoms of compression. The whole thing also leans on the left channel. I'm sure the cd or lossless formats will sound fine. This always happens when a song is released on youtube before the actual release date.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #893 on: June 29, 2011, 08:24:46 PM »
The intro is gorgeous. But I just can't dig the rest of the song.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #894 on: June 29, 2011, 08:25:14 PM »

I give it a 6/10.
In my book, catchy mean attractive or appealing, something that can be easily remembered. When I first listened to DT, I could sing their songs at work because there was that special vibe to them.

OTBOA doesn't have that vibe. There's just nothing special about it.

Ahh, I see what you mean then. Interesting.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #895 on: June 29, 2011, 08:27:03 PM »
Am I the only one who likes the album art? I don't understand it, which is what I like about it. It's thought provoking and totally unexpected.

I'm with you. I love the album art.

I love you man.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline ehra

« Reply #896 on: June 29, 2011, 08:28:08 PM »
The song's nice when I'm listening to it but none of it sticks with me afterward. Maybe it'll grow on me later, who knows.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #897 on: June 29, 2011, 08:29:20 PM »
No it doesn't. That's ridiculous.

I think all he meant was that this song didn't grab him. There's no need to psychoanalyze his post. Catchy is a big blanket term, and suitably so.

Offline Nic35

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #898 on: June 29, 2011, 08:30:27 PM »
The song's nice when I'm listening to it but none of it sticks with me afterward. Maybe it'll grow on me later, who knows.
This.

• Your majesty
« Reply #899 on: June 29, 2011, 08:32:17 PM »

looked at your last.fm.... LOL how can you even comment on such a thing??

I have no problem with you, please stop singleing me out

Offline j

« Reply #900 on: June 29, 2011, 08:32:56 PM »
Just got to listen to it.  I like it a lot.

The good:
1) The entire 2-3 minute intro or whatever is awesome.  As is the piano break, etc...Petrucci and Rudess doing some very good things in this song.
2) Drums and bass sound great, although I can hear less drums and more bass than on recent DT albums.  Luckily I'm not musically astute enough for it to bother me either way.
3) I'm pleasantly surprised to say that I think the lyrics are pretty good.  Sound like Petrucci's work, but they could be Myung's.

The bad:
1) The vocal melodies aren't that great or interesting.  They're okay, but I expected a bigger chorus from a single.  Given that, LaBrie's vocals are good I think.
2) Petrucci's solo.  It's hardly bad or anything, but it sounds really...familiar.

Didn't read the entire thread, so apologies if these opinions are either very common or especially disagreeable.

-J

Offline dongringo

« Reply #901 on: June 29, 2011, 08:33:51 PM »
I just listened to the song a couple more times at home using some good speakers. It sounds a lot better than it did with headphones but I still can't dig the song and I think I might be going mad cause everyone is saying how they love DT going back to the more proggy side but I still fail to see it myself! They have some proggy moments but the whole of the song just sounds to metal with some prog in it to me.

I wouldn't worry. JP said that this album as a whole wouldn't sound as bombastic as the last couple. Well, this song sounds fairly bombastic to me, which makes a really good opener. I'm sure the rest of the album will be filled with plenty of proggy moments and not all as metal sounding.

Personally, I love the song and was relieved to hear it. I was afraid they might lose their metal side for some reason. Now I know that DT is still DT. Looking forward to hear the album as a whole. Let another countdown begin.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #902 on: June 29, 2011, 08:34:57 PM »

You're right. I need copious and excessive amounts of lengthy prog metal before ever allowing myself to have an opinion on catchiness. I'm so inferior  :(

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #903 on: June 29, 2011, 08:35:02 PM »
This sounds like the lovechild of Pull Me Under, Forsaken, and A Rite of Passage.

• Your majesty
« Reply #904 on: June 29, 2011, 08:36:41 PM »

You're right. I need copious and excessive amounts of lengthy prog metal before ever allowing myself to have an opinion on catchiness. I'm so inferior  :(
uhm, when did I ever say that? Can you please stop putting words in my mouth?

what did I do to you, seriously?

Offline ClairvoyantCat

• DT is no longer Majesty.
« Reply #905 on: June 29, 2011, 08:37:24 PM »

Offline ehra

« Reply #906 on: June 29, 2011, 08:38:39 PM »

By being right. DT themselves have already put out a ton of catchy tunes/melodies over the years. All catchy means is that it's memorable; that it sticks in your head even when you're done listening. Or an earworm.

• Your majesty
« Reply #907 on: June 29, 2011, 08:39:33 PM »

By being right. DT themselves have already put out a ton of catchy tunes/melodies over the years. All catchy means is that it's memorable; that it sticks in your head even when you're done listening. Or an earworm.

Yes

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #908 on: June 29, 2011, 08:41:13 PM »
It's not the big catchy chorus but it's still got some hooks.  Not all music needs to have hooks all over the place.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline GasparXR

« Reply #909 on: June 29, 2011, 08:41:28 PM »
This sounds like the lovechild of Pull Me Under, Forsaken, and A Rite of Passage.
I definitely hear PMU and AROP, not so much Forsaken.

Did the fast roll on the floor tom leading into the pre-solo at 6:04 catch anyone off-guard? I wasn't expecting it, but I didn't quite know what style to expect from Mangini, given I never heard his drumming outside of the documentary. It leads in really well, strangely.