Author Topic: On the Backs of Angels Thread  (Read 344519 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: On the Backs of Angels to be released on June 29th!
« Reply #840 on: June 29, 2011, 06:23:43 PM »
It's almost 8:30 at night and I am just noticing this thread. Why was there no facebook announcement?!? Anyways, I listened to the first four minutes of the song and can say that I am very confident in this album.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #841 on: June 29, 2011, 06:27:07 PM »
8. Drums are there, serving their purpose. I never expected some blowout performance from Mangini. Yes, some fantastic drumming, but nothing like "WOW BEST EVAR." He fits in, and it's actually nice to not have predictable drum fills every song. Drums are a bit low in the mix, I agree on that.

First couple of listens, that was my impression.  Then I listened again with a focus on the drums.  My mind is now blown.

Yeah. I listened in depth, and my post about it was probably buried somewhere in all the fanfare, but a close listening to the drumming on the track is really rewarding. Mangini is doing things that I just didn't expect to ever hear from Portnoy. The drumming is just so good if you're listening for it, but it doesn't stick-out as trying to show-off at all. Mangini is just such a great drummer, and I think comparing him to Portnoy will eventually feel like comparing Rudess to Sherinian. That's not a slight to either of those guys. But Mangini is just on a whole new level.

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #842 on: June 29, 2011, 06:27:13 PM »
8. Drums are there, serving their purpose. I never expected some blowout performance from Mangini. Yes, some fantastic drumming, but nothing like "WOW BEST EVAR." He fits in, and it's actually nice to not have predictable drum fills every song. Drums are a bit low in the mix, I agree on that.

First couple of listens, that was my impression.  Then I listened again with a focus on the drums.  My mind is now blown.
I did the same thing. MM definately 'proves' (as if he had to) that he can handle drumming for DT. Can't wait to actually see him play With DT
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #843 on: June 29, 2011, 06:28:04 PM »
Okay, I have to chime in again.  I cannot get the chorus out of my head.  It is just so perfect with JP's guitar underneath "Tears fall from the shameless...." part.  Goosebumps.  It gives me a wonderful vibe like the middle melodic section of ANTR

If the rest of the album is in this vein of creativity, I am all in.

Offline The Silent Cody

• The biggest polish DT appreciator ;)
  • DTF.org Member
  • Ten years older, but still DT'ish ;)
« Reply #844 on: June 29, 2011, 06:28:56 PM »
So, I just listened to the song and I have to tell that - I wasn't expecting that kind of song but it very good, Jordan is very hearable, JP solo is great, Mangini's ending of the song is a killer...and Myung - he is louder than on BC&SL. I will have to listen to it one more time, it's gonna be a great album, probably the best since Scenes... Has got a lot of Learning To Live vibe in the ending, don't you think?

Offline dongringo

« Reply #845 on: June 29, 2011, 06:29:46 PM »

Mine too. I keep hearing different little tid bits with every listen. MM sounds amazing on this song.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #846 on: June 29, 2011, 06:30:15 PM »

First couple of listens, that was my impression.  Then I listened again with a focus on the drums.  My mind is now blown.

Yeah. I listened in depth, and my post about it was probably buried somewhere in all the fanfare, but a close listening to the drumming on the track is really rewarding. Mangini is doing things that I just didn't expect to ever hear from Portnoy. The drumming is just so good if you're listening for it, but it doesn't stick-out as trying to show-off at all. Mangini is just such a great drummer, and I think comparing him to Portnoy will eventually feel like comparing Rudess to Sherinian. That's not a slight to either of those guys. But Mangini is just on a whole new level.

I believe you guys since the three of us have a good amount of similar taste and views. I'll relisten for the drums.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #847 on: June 29, 2011, 06:33:19 PM »
I've only listened to it twice, and I don't want to overdo it.  I don't want to get to a stage where I'm finding myself constantly listening to this song over and over.  To me it sounds so fresh, I want to try and keep it that way.

Your self control is admirable my friend.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Online gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #848 on: June 29, 2011, 06:34:05 PM »
but it doesn't stick-out as trying to show-off at all.
I am going to try and say this without sounding like a dick towards MP, so let it be known that I love MP and he is the reason I got into DT. But the difference to me as you pointed out could simply be the opposite 'egos'. MP admittedly was a control freak and had the whole OCD thing and what not. It's safe to say he 'needed' his drums to stick out and to be heard to satisfy his own issues.
  MM has admitted that he is there to help those guys produce great music and is extremely grateful for the opportunity. His lack of 'assertive' over the top drumming is not a detrement to DT at all...in fact it's something (judging from this one song) that they've really exploited in a good way. MM and MP are both phoenominal virtuostic players....with two different styles. I am pumped to hear an album of MM's style as DT's drummer.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #849 on: June 29, 2011, 06:38:13 PM »

Same here.  I don't mean that as a slight to MP at all--he is and will likely always be one of my favorite drummers (he is probably still my TOP favorite at the moment).  But, yeah, Magini is doing some things that are mindblowing.  And since MP already blew my mind many times over throughout the years, this is like an exponential mindblowing to the extent that my mind is blown just trying to comprehend how much my mind is being blown.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #850 on: June 29, 2011, 06:41:44 PM »
OK, yeah, there is great drumming there. Especially the cymbal work. Another "exceeds expectation," then!

Offline CrimsonE

« Reply #851 on: June 29, 2011, 06:43:33 PM »
Now that I've had a few listens, I must say that I love this song.  It sounds so much more coherent than just about anything they've done since I&W.  I love how much this song drives forward throughout, reminding me much like 80's Rush or early 90's Fates Warning.  If this is typical of the new album, then we are certainly going to have a real winner.  
In the heart of your most solemn barren night
When your souls turn inside out
Have you questioned all the madness you invite?
What your life is all about

Offline dongringo

« Reply #852 on: June 29, 2011, 06:46:51 PM »
this is like an exponential mindblowing to the extent that my mind is blown just trying to comprehend how much my mind is being blown.
:rollin
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #853 on: June 29, 2011, 06:48:20 PM »
alright i'm not seeing anything anywhere about it but that album art is a joke, right

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #854 on: June 29, 2011, 06:50:12 PM »
Not that we know of.
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Gorille85

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #855 on: June 29, 2011, 06:51:23 PM »
alright i'm not seeing anything anywhere about it but that album art is a joke, right

I wish it was...

Offline GandL

« Reply #856 on: June 29, 2011, 06:52:25 PM »
Agree, I think it's gonna be a winner. I like that song very much and it grows on me after each listening. Every instruments sound awsome, I can also ear old and new era in there, like it very much.  :metal

Offline rush-signals

• Was into DT before you!
« Reply #857 on: June 29, 2011, 06:55:33 PM »
Now after my fourth listening and closing my eyes and really listening, well it's coming together more and more. I'm hearing some really sick transistions and breaks. The mix is sounding better too. I just wish I could here the cymbals more right now. I think the vocals are spot on for the mood and feel of the song.
Thanks,
Dave

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #858 on: June 29, 2011, 07:26:09 PM »
I am surprised so many are so surprised to hear piano on this tune, considering there is plenty of piano on practically every Rudess-era DT record. 

Anyway, while this song sounds pretty cool, some of Rudess' patches yet again are a little iffy, but that is a minor gripe at this point.  His lead part during the latter part of the intro is very Endless Sacrifice-ish.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #859 on: June 29, 2011, 07:28:27 PM »
I think the lead works better here than it did with Endless Sacrifice. I feel this lead adds some tension to the intro, whereas Endless Sacrifice is like "lol sad lead"
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #860 on: June 29, 2011, 07:28:55 PM »
I am surprised so many are so surprised to hear piano on this tune, considering there is plenty of piano on practically every Rudess-era DT record. 

Anyway, while this song sounds pretty cool, some of Rudess' patches yet again are a little iffy, but that is a minor gripe at this point.  His lead part during the latter part of the intro is very Endless Sacrifice-ish.
I don't think the piano has ever been the main solo though, or not as prominent
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #861 on: June 29, 2011, 07:33:16 PM »

I think it's more about "Rudess solo that works well at the onset?! WHAT!?"

I think the lead works better here than it did with Endless Sacrifice. I feel this lead adds some tension to the intro, whereas Endless Sacrifice is like "lol sad lead"

Bro, do not hate on ES or that nice sad lead.

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #862 on: June 29, 2011, 07:43:35 PM »
New song is alright. Nothing incredible or unpredictable, but it's a nice change of pace for the band.

The album art is a joke.

Offline Heaven Outcry Angel

• Your majesty
« Reply #863 on: June 29, 2011, 07:44:50 PM »
The album art is a joke.

wow, rude.

Im not laughing,
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #864 on: June 29, 2011, 07:45:15 PM »
Okay.

Offline dongringo

« Reply #865 on: June 29, 2011, 07:46:19 PM »
Am I the only one who likes the album art? I don't understand it, which is what I like about it. It's thought provoking and totally unexpected.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline CrimsonSunrise

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #866 on: June 29, 2011, 07:47:20 PM »

Same here.  I don't mean that as a slight to MP at all--he is and will likely always be one of my favorite drummers (he is probably still my TOP favorite at the moment).  But, yeah, Magini is doing some things that are mindblowing.  And since MP already blew my mind many times over throughout the years, this is like an exponential mindblowing to the extent that my mind is blown just trying to comprehend how much my mind is being blown.

umm...that's a lot of blowing..... :lol

Offline i am fabio

« Reply #867 on: June 29, 2011, 07:49:07 PM »
Album art is refreshing and the tune is great. There are bad things I could find about both of course but just gonna enjoy it!

• Your majesty
« Reply #868 on: June 29, 2011, 07:49:28 PM »
Of course Dream Theater isn't that good. Good music is obviously about 3 minute pop songs and catchy hooks.
Dream Theater aren't that good. Neither was Beethoven, or Mozart, or Bach. Pfft, 20 minute epics. Who needs that?

Offline Ravenheart

• Hair
  • DTF.org Member

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #870 on: June 29, 2011, 07:51:40 PM »

I think it's more about "Rudess solo that works well at the onset?! WHAT!?"

Or more: "YES!!!! NO BEBOT SOLO!!! AND WE'VE BEEN ASKING FOR MORE PIANO AND WE GOT WHAT WE WANTED!!!"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #871 on: June 29, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »
Okay.

get over yourself.
WTF?  :lol

Raven, your comment on the art was not needed, it was not constructive in the least bit. HOA, watch how you react with people, report a post if it's against the rules.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Nic35

• Which seat can I take =/ ?
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #872 on: June 29, 2011, 07:53:57 PM »
This song is good, but it isn't catchy at all. That's the biggest complaint about it.

I give it a 6/10.
Jesus Christ himself* comes down amidst a choir of 2 billion angels singing Handel's Hallelujah chorus. As KrotchRaut shred randomly on guitars made of dragon bones using picks made from God's kidney stones, Jesus heals a blind woman who promptly gives birth onstage to a creation of pure light.

*Yes, Jesus Christ himself. Nothing less will do.

• Your majesty
« Reply #873 on: June 29, 2011, 07:54:40 PM »
Yes

sorry Raven

Im just touchy when it comes to DTyou didnt deserve that..

Offline YtseJam

• EZBoard Elder
  • Your mom
« Reply #874 on: June 29, 2011, 07:58:57 PM »
I was bored on the first listen... waiting for the moment of awesomeness  :corn which I must have missed  :o

It's very reminiscent of other songs in the DT catalog but if this is the first release I hope that doesn't mean this is the best  :|

Sorry to be a negative nancy