Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 669742 times)

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #2030 on: April 27, 2011, 02:00:39 PM »
I honestly want to understand why anyone thinks it isn't Mangini.
Since it was never confirmed by the band, people are allowed to express their opinions lol.

Those aren't actual reasons.

Another thing that's weird - Anyone who says Lang and Donati are "too good" for DT.  What's that mean?  They were supposed to do specific things with the band, and both of them had trouble with it.

Not being able to play a part is one thing. But having a different style (which was clearly the case with Lang) isn't something that can be counted against them.
Well, actually it can be counted against them if they want to be the DT drummer. All 7 are very talented, so what will distinguish them is very much the style.

hehe, I meant it can't be counted against them as far as how good of a drummer they are. I didn't mean from DTs point of view.
Ah yeah definitely agreed. All of them are fantastic players, there's no doubt about that!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2031 on: April 27, 2011, 02:01:13 PM »
Not being able to play a part is one thing. But having a different style (which was clearly the case with Lang) isn't something that can be counted against them.

It wasn't just the audition.  During the riff part he seemed a little lost.  The thing that actually came together at the end sounded more like a jam than one of the weird test riffs.

I honestly want to understand why anyone thinks it isn't Mangini.
Since it was never confirmed by the band, people are allowed to express their opinions lol.

Those aren't actual reasons.

Another thing that's weird - Anyone who says Lang and Donati are "too good" for DT.  What's that mean?  They were supposed to do specific things with the band, and both of them had trouble with it.
I didn't say these are actual reasons mostly because I agree with you and I think Mangini is the new drummer, but, I'm just saying some people may know another drummer better than Mangini and think he fits better musically/personally. Also, maybe some people suspect they're not showing all the important/key moments in the documentary. Again, go figure. We'll have a confirmation by Friday either way.

I guess what I'm not getting though is that every other drummer is signed up to do something else, Mangini got the most screen time, and Mangini quit Berkelee for a reason that still hasn't been announced.  If you hope it's Priester, great.  If you think there's a possibility it's actually him, I don't understand you.

In the teaser for Episode 3, the way that Petrucci talks and says, 'The choice was just clear.', how could it NOT be Mangini? He's the one they kept talking about again and again and again, so I mean...

Great point.

Also - about the interpretation thing, we saw Marco do a lot of interpreting and they seemed to love it.  Maybe Lang and Donati just didn't do it right.

Well now, there are still two guys left to audition, you know! And like they said, Mangini went first and was one of the best, so he's the standard they've been comparing to most of the way. Already we've had one other guy who's in the discussion along with him. I think Mangini's far from a foregone conclusion, although he's a strong possibility.

How is it not a foregone conclusion?  Every other drummer has something else to do.
Take a chance you may die
Over and over again

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2032 on: April 27, 2011, 02:04:07 PM »
I guess what I'm not getting though is that every other drummer is signed up to do something else, Mangini got the most screen time, and Mangini quit Berkelee for a reason that still hasn't been announced.  If you hope it's Priester, great.  If you think there's a possibility it's actually him, I don't understand you.
Like I said, I also hope it's Mangini and I'm almost certain it's him. I'm just being open minded towards people who don't think it's him.

Offline Dream_Theater01

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #2034 on: April 27, 2011, 02:06:23 PM »

It wasn't just the audition.  During the riff part he seemed a little lost.  The thing that actually came together at the end sounded more like a jam than one of the weird test riffs.

All of them were lost, it was the first time he had heard it. They all had to try a few things out. I think the only one who didn't get it was Roddy. I think the only one who got it really fast was probably Donati.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #2035 on: April 27, 2011, 02:07:38 PM »

It wasn't just the audition.  During the riff part he seemed a little lost.  The thing that actually came together at the end sounded more like a jam than one of the weird test riffs.

All of them were lost, it was the first time he had heard it. They all had to try a few things out. I think the only one who didn't get it was Roddy. I think the only one who got it really fast was probably Donati.
I agree, the clips of them first trying it out don't really tell us much.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2036 on: April 27, 2011, 02:08:29 PM »

Really? I think Mangini got it very, very quickly too. He nailed TDOE, and he nailed that riff JR gave him after simply writing it down.

Offline D_Halco

« Reply #2037 on: April 27, 2011, 02:09:39 PM »
Gotta say, having seen these two episodes, just for sheer unbridled enthusiasm my favorite so far has been Marco Minnemann.  Watching him play I had this grin on my face the entire time.  The man was just radiating a vibe of pure joy behind that kit, which to me is just as important as any of the technical stuff (which, of course, he nailed!).  I'm fairly sure that Mangini ultimately landed the gig, but man...I'm really pulling for Minnemann!

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2038 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:06 PM »
I agree, the clips of them first trying it out don't really tell us much.

Body language matters though.  Mangini definitely had a learning curve, but the whole time he looked comfortable trying to figure it out.  And then when he performed the part, you could feel actual performance energy as opposed to just trying to do it.  Lang and Donati never looked quite as much there.
Over and over again

Offline Nihil-Morari

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Check out the Zappa Discography thread!
« Reply #2039 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:15 PM »
Just for the record, you don't know how long it took Mangini to play it. It was edited like he could play it right after he got it, yes.
The FZ Discography Thread! https://www.dreamtheaterforums.org/boards/index.php?topic=44650.0
Nihil-Morari is generally considered the resident Zappa person.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2040 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:32 PM »
Incredible. I don't care if it's Mangini or Minnemann, both of them are amazing fits. Shame it can't be both  :lol

Has it been announced when the third episode is coming out?
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Online Adami

« Reply #2041 on: April 27, 2011, 02:10:46 PM »

Really? I think Mangini got it very, very quickly too. He nailed TDOE, and he nailed that riff JR gave him after simply writing it down.

To be honest I am going to re-watch the mangini one, I've only seen it once and that was days ago. However it showed him writing it down then showed him playing it, we have no idea how many ideas he had to try. No musician should be expected to pick up on things like that on the very first try, and I don't think DT expected it either.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2042 on: April 27, 2011, 02:13:01 PM »
No musician should be expected to pick up on things like that on the very first try, and I don't think DT expected it either.

I'd be very surprised if they were able to. We need to keep in mind that the auditions we over 2 hours long, and we are seeing 4 minutes of them.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #2043 on: April 27, 2011, 02:13:39 PM »

To be honest I am going to re-watch the mangini one, I've only seen it once and that was days ago. However it showed him writing it down then showed him playing it, we have no idea how many ideas he had to try. No musician should be expected to pick up on things like that on the very first try, and I don't think DT expected it either.
Well, they looked happy and surprised, so I think that maybe it wasn't immediately, but it did look like he nailed it rather quickly.

I'm just speculating though, I completely understand it may not seem true.

Offline Loser1

« Reply #2044 on: April 27, 2011, 02:13:51 PM »
Yup despite all my bashing of the trailer, I've been watching these episodes like a little school girl.

All great drummers... I have a "feeling" It'll be Mike Mangini. Personally, I enjoyed each drummer. Who stood out to me? Lang's sound had balls, lots of balls. He just owned the drums in every way. Doniti was a great combo of technical prowess and balls. Mangini was basically in the pocket. Roddy was good, but they just kinda blew past him in the video. Minniman had great technical playing, but I feel he lacked that "Balls and chunk" DT's sound is known for in the drum area.

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2045 on: April 27, 2011, 02:17:45 PM »
Yup despite all my bashing of the trailer, I've been watching these episodes like a little school girl.

All great drummers... I have a "feeling" It'll be Mike Mangini. Personally, I enjoyed each drummer. Who stood out to me? Lang's sound had balls, lots of balls. He just owned the drums in every way. Doniti was a great combo of technical prowess and balls. Mangini was basically in the pocket. Roddy was good, but they just kinda blew past him in the video. Minniman had great technical playing, but I feel he lacked that "Balls and chunk" DT's sound is known for in the drum area.

I wonder if you would be able to hear the difference if you closed your eyes.  Minnemann's drumming didn't sound any less aggressive than anyone else's.  You are going by the visual of them playing.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #2046 on: April 27, 2011, 02:18:42 PM »
Well now, there are still two guys left to audition, you know! And like they said, Mangini went first and was one of the best, so he's the standard they've been comparing to most of the way. Already we've had one other guy who's in the discussion along with him. I think Mangini's far from a foregone conclusion, although he's a strong possibility.

How is it not a foregone conclusion?  Every other drummer has something else to do.

OK, maybe I've just never had it spelled out as to what Priester and Wildoer are up to. As far as I can tell, Peter has recently spent his days just watching this thread, which he could afford to do if...oh I don't know...he'd finished tracking drums on DT11 a couple of months ago  :P  :metal.

I've heard of other Minnemann projects, and honestly, until this week I was like 95% sure it was Mangini. But there's lots of speculation that there could've been misinformation and stuff, which is why I think it could still be Priester or Wildoer--do we have actual confirmed PROJECTS they're doing right now? If so, then obviously Mangini's a lock.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #2047 on: April 27, 2011, 02:20:40 PM »
BTW, who is the old guy? DT's manager?

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline ReaPsTA

• DT.net Veteran
  • Addicted to the pain
« Reply #2048 on: April 27, 2011, 02:21:26 PM »

I wonder if you would be able to hear the difference if you closed your eyes.  Minnemann's drumming didn't sound any less aggressive than anyone else's.  You are going by the visual of them playing.

I actually listened to them without the video.  Minneman was definitely a bit softer sounding.

OK, maybe I've just never had it spelled out as to what Priester and Wildoer are up to. As far as I can tell, Peter has recently spent his days just watching this thread, which he could afford to do if...oh I don't know...he'd finished tracking drums on DT11 a couple of months ago  :P  :metal.

I've heard of other Minnemann projects, and honestly, until this week I was like 95% sure it was Mangini. But there's lots of speculation that there could've been misinformation and stuff, which is why I think it could still be Priester or Wildoer--do we have actual confirmed PROJECTS they're doing right now? If so, then obviously Mangini's a lock.

I know I saw something somewhere about there being other projects.  It's all random stuff that gets mentioned here and there.  For whatever reason, no ones made the "list of things everyone else is doing that precludes them from being in DT" thread.

The misinformation thing blows my mind.  The things peopole are willing to believe...

rumborak

I believe so.
Over and over again

« Reply #2049 on: April 27, 2011, 02:21:39 PM »

rumborak

Yep. Frank Solomon, I think his name is?
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2050 on: April 27, 2011, 02:23:02 PM »
Yup.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Lowdz

« Reply #2051 on: April 27, 2011, 02:23:31 PM »
I see the genius in this approach by the band, with the video, especially if it is Mangini. I hadn't liked a single video I've seen of him on Youtube and had they announced him as the drummer I'd have been disappointed to be sure. Now seeing him in action with the band at a relatively early stage, I'm convinced by him. He seems to have a love of the music and a determination and he comes across as likeable.
He does seem to have an advantage in already knowing everyone, as the pleasantries seem more effusive in his vid.
I loved what we saw of Lang and he's still my number one, just an awesome heavy hitting drummer, Minnemann as well is awesome, definately more progressive, but I see that DT would be safe with Mangini.
Consider me persuaded.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2052 on: April 27, 2011, 02:25:22 PM »
Just for the record, Lang's performance of The Dance of Eternity left me  :omg: The guy's truly a powerhouse.
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Online Adami

« Reply #2053 on: April 27, 2011, 02:26:12 PM »
Just for the record, Lang's performance of The Dance of Eternity left me  :omg: The guy's truly a powerhouse.
[/quote

I think he even played a little faster than Portnoy. Maybe that's what JR didn't like?

Really, I'd like to see the full auditions.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #2054 on: April 27, 2011, 02:28:37 PM »
The misinformation thing blows my mind.  The things peopole are willing to believe...

For the record, I have no reason to want to believe anything. The only guy of the 7 I was remotely familiar with going into this was Donati, and I guess I've heard some of Priester's stuff as well, but I never really pay attention to Angra's drums.

I just distinctly remember a number of people specifically saying that Priester hasn't been involved in something else, but everyone pretty much discounted him because...well...they thought he wasn't up for it, I guess. And there's enough circumstantial evidence pointing to Wildoer that I could see it being him. The only thing I can remember him saying that ran counter to DT was "DT would've been cool." Not exactly the world's strongest denial.

But like I said, I was completely convinced it was Mangini entering the week, and since there hasn't been much to disprove that theory, I certainly see why you'd stick with that. Just not ruling everything out myself...I guess I just like the suspense, I dunno.

Offline JPX

« Reply #2055 on: April 27, 2011, 02:29:52 PM »
My guess is that Marco wasn't picked, but had such a great chemistery with JR that he was asked by Jordan to join his Mind Meld thing.

So that leads me to think that Mangini is the chosen one.

This makes a lot of logical sense.

Offline gmillerdrake

• Proud Father.....Blessed Husband
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • 1 Timothy 2:5
« Reply #2056 on: April 27, 2011, 02:31:47 PM »
It seems like it's obviously Mike M. given all of the Berklee facts, his website being re-designed and set to launch again here in May. And from what we've seen he'd be a good fit. I don't think JR would have done the whole Mind Meld thing with the drummer they chose and like others have said, he and Minneman probably realized they have a uniqued chemistry.
  However, I am in the belief that the drummer will end up being one Mr. Peter Wildoer. I base this assumption on merely a 'gut' feeling and the fact that his willingness to interact with this forum is just DT's way of maintaining that 'internet presence' that MP brought to the table. An almost 'direct link' to the DT fanatics out there.
   I think he will be the one that 'blows them away' and the drummer who James is referring to in the clip we've seen saying ' He wasn't trying to be Dream Theater, he was Dream Theater."
  Could be wishful thinking because as much as I thought Mike M. and Marco M. were unreal and supremely impressive...I think that Peter Wildoer would amp DT in a way no other 'appplicant' did or could.
Without Faith.....Without Hope.....There can be No Peace of Mind

Offline Infinite Cactus

• DT.net Member
« Reply #2057 on: April 27, 2011, 02:35:51 PM »
I wanted it to be Mike Mangini ever since MP left. I really hope its him but honestly, any one of these guys would be awesome.

Offline Loser1

« Reply #2058 on: April 27, 2011, 02:38:23 PM »

Nah Minniman is a softer player in general. I certainly am not implying he is not great. He could be great in DT. But I still stand by my original statement above. The drummer will have to have "Balls and chunk" to fit DT's style.

While I like them all, like someone else stated... Lang's performance had my jaw dropping. The blast beats, the technical prowess, the balls... he just owned it.

Online Adami

« Reply #2059 on: April 27, 2011, 02:39:47 PM »
I rewatched Manginis clip again.

Man that guy just nailed everything. He doesn't have the style that I like in Lang, but crap man he just killed everything. He also came across as the coolest person who auditioned so far, and that says a lot since this documentary is portraying them all as the coolest guys alive.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

« Reply #2060 on: April 27, 2011, 02:40:14 PM »

This isn't true. In fact, Minnemann's so amped up the whole time that he's more aggressive than anyone save possibly Mangini. But it still sounds really soft. Listen to how soft all the cymbals at the end of ANTR sound, for example, even though he's hitting them hard. They all sound like splash cymbals, even the crashes. Mangini made it sound much fuller.

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #2061 on: April 27, 2011, 02:41:15 PM »
Do people who are calling Minnemann "softer" realize he played with Necrophagist? I mean, actual death metal? ???
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
The Darklord is amazing

Offline nikostheater

« Reply #2062 on: April 27, 2011, 02:45:35 PM »
I agree that the two MM's are the best st far but I am Still rooting for Wildoer and Mangini.
I am fine though with any of them, all are amazing players.
The best vibe though so far I got it from Mangini.
I really can't wait for Wildoer' audition and the final announcement!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #2063 on: April 27, 2011, 02:46:58 PM »
I agree Minnimann was great and was a real fun guy but I feel he lacked "balls".

Offline 7StringedBeast

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2064 on: April 27, 2011, 02:50:08 PM »
Anyone take the actual mix into account regarding the drummers playing at different levels.  Anyone notice Roddy's sound was drastically different than anyone elses?  Just saying.
If anyone in this thread judge him; heyy James WTF? about you in Awake In Japan? Then I will say; WTF about you silly?