Author Topic: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer  (Read 667713 times)

Offline 88 Keys

Re: An Exclusive Look into The Band’s Search for a New Drummer
« Reply #1750 on: April 27, 2011, 09:22:33 AM »
You've gotta love Virgil Donati's voice  :biggrin:

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1751 on: April 27, 2011, 09:23:35 AM »
Maybe it is because it seems like a foregone conclusion that the job is his, but I like Mangini the best so far by a wide margin.  His energy, attitude and playing all seem to be the best fit of the five we have seen.

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1752 on: April 27, 2011, 09:24:12 AM »
So far I'm with Myung on this Mike or Marco and I'd be a very happy fan :P

They are the only two that made me grin ear to ear so far, the energy that they give off is great, and I wasnt even sat in the audition room.

Offline Ryozo Matsumoto

« Reply #1753 on: April 27, 2011, 09:24:20 AM »
Yup pretty cool, Marco rockt.

Last episode on Friday or?

Offline jdprsaga

« Reply #1754 on: April 27, 2011, 09:24:25 AM »
Where does marco comes from??, why is he here?? hahahahahahahahahahaha

Offline Dellers

• Funky Norwegian!
« Reply #1755 on: April 27, 2011, 09:25:24 AM »
I guess I have a new favorite...While I think Mike Mangini was great, Marco Minnemann just had that little extra groove. I still think the band's choice will be Mangini, but Minnemann just plays a little bit cooler.
https://soundcloud.com/dellers2/jpxi-o
Religious faith can only exist when there is no God, otherwise there wouldn't be a reason to believe.

Offline atmyne

• Dog Face no space
« Reply #1756 on: April 27, 2011, 09:25:39 AM »
Marco killed it. The chemistry seemed to be there, and he was the most impressive with phase 3 (far more daring with those tom fills, and executed so effortlessly).

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1757 on: April 27, 2011, 09:26:05 AM »
I think since Macro already says he's not in, we can trust that. Even though he deleted the comment he made to his facebook, that just makes it sketchier.

So Mangini is the clear front runner. I am seriously starting to consider the Priester possibility, though. The difference is, Mangini's got the Eddie Trunks thing going.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1758 on: April 27, 2011, 09:26:45 AM »
Wow, Marco did a killer job. I was on the fence about him at first, but he seems like a really cool guy as well as a skilled drummer. I wonder if he rocked the cookie monster shirt as a joke toward mike... Virgil did a good job too, I really like him as a drummer, but I don't think he's right for DT. I remember seeing him do a drum solo on Steve Vai at the Astoria in London that made my jaw drop.

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1759 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:06 AM »
Question - did they leave Virgil out? He said something like "thanks for the opportunity" with a sad tone in the end of his audition lol, maybe I missed something?

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1760 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:20 AM »
Man.

Thus far, I definitely see why Mike and Marco are top 2 at this point. The other guys didn't seem to have as much chemistry with the band on all the levels those two had. Mike and Marco have that "it" factor that the band seem to really be looking for.

All of these drummers have been amazing though.

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1761 on: April 27, 2011, 09:27:46 AM »
oh god I LOVED Lang in this video. Holy shit he's awesome.
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1762 on: April 27, 2011, 09:28:41 AM »
AHH MARCO

Offline Durg

• Evil Java Genius & Horder of Open Source Software
« Reply #1763 on: April 27, 2011, 09:28:53 AM »
I like Marco personally.  He made it look so smooth and effortless.
When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep just like my grandfather, and not like the screaming passengers in his car!

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1764 on: April 27, 2011, 09:29:06 AM »
I can't wait for the next video to just skip to the end to see if they announce the god damn drummer already.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline 88 Keys

« Reply #1765 on: April 27, 2011, 09:29:18 AM »
Now I know why I've been rooting for Marco this whole time.  That was impressive!  He seemed to fit the style perfect!!!

THats what i thoght exactly when i finished watching the video.. Marco is a BEAST... im rooting for him, over Mangini... and i have to be sincere, i used to think.. "Priester, WTF? That Angra guy?" BUt as i'm knowing him more (Youtube videos) i'm rooting for him.. the same goes for Mr. Wildoer... i mean, INSANE E250 Drumming...

BTW...Has anyone Noticed that Mangini was the only who had like 10 minutes of footage just for him..? uhm.... misterious..

Offline Raoul Sanchez

« Reply #1766 on: April 27, 2011, 09:29:26 AM »
I guess I have a new favorite...While I think Mike Mangini was great, Marco Minnemann just had that little extra groove. I still think the band's choice will be Mangini, but Minnemann just plays a little bit cooler.

I think the big difference between the two in Mangini has a more bombastic, hard hitting sound, while Minnemann has a more fun, groovy style.

It's basically the choice between someone who sounds massive as all hell, or the guy who puts a grin on your face at all times. Between the two I prefer Minnemann, but I think Mangini is a better fit. I'd be very happy with both however.

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1767 on: April 27, 2011, 09:29:50 AM »
Minnemann, he has the charisma and the right attitude. "Oh, you threw me that riff? Let me respond you with this magical beat." He was awesome. Like Myung said, right now it is between those two.

I was kinda disappointed with Lang. I thought he was going to play better...

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• The Original Unseasoned Fan
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1768 on: April 27, 2011, 09:30:33 AM »
This second episode isn't as re-watchable as the first. Oh well!

Marco and Mike have been the best by far, mostly because of their personality. But the more I think about it, the more I realize Mike has quite a big edge. There's just something about him. I think I have a man crush.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline IdoSC

« Reply #1769 on: April 27, 2011, 09:31:22 AM »
Just watched Marco's part where they played The Spirit Carries On. Damn, James was kinda off there o-o

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #1770 on: April 27, 2011, 09:32:00 AM »
Yeah, Lang was awesome, but I also felt that he was going to be in the same tier of the band thinking it would be between Lang, and both MM's.

Offline John94

« Reply #1771 on: April 27, 2011, 09:32:58 AM »
Marco and Lang stood out. Not a big fan of Virgil especially the way in which he holds the sticks.

As for James, he sounded spot on to me.

"Where did Marco come from, why is he here?"

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1772 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:07 AM »
Here's something about Lang, too.

We have to remember that Dream Theater are writing their own history here. That means that if the guys didn't like someone, like Lang, just because they like his personality or something, they don't necessarily have to be jerks and say, "well, we just got a totally unfriendly vibe from him." If he screwed up a lot, they don't have to say that either, just to save face for those guys out of politeness.  

We know how friendly and good-natured the Dream Theater guys are. If they say something about why they like someone, I believe it. But if they say something about why they didn't chose something, I'm expecting them to put it as lightly as possible, or simply switch the reasons all together. I doubt Jordan actually has something against people making the songs their own. More likely, there was a different problem and Jordan or the guys thought it would look better for everyone for them to just put it that way.  

Offline The Presence of Frenemies

« Reply #1773 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:12 AM »
Guys, the whole "the didn't play the songs the right way" could be like a nice way of saying "they didn't play the songs right/correctly."

Possible. I think another possibility, though, is that they're really preoccupied with showing the fans they haven't gone nuts without MP, and really want to find someone who will follow closely on MP's path. I'm not thrilled with that (if it is the case), but I can understand why they would be concerned with it.
Yeah, I have no idea what the cakeless person in that analogy is meant to be eating. If he's got some sort of cake substitute, it should really have been worked into the narrative at some point. As it stands, the options are:

• Hoard a cake just to stare blankly into its doughy edifice.
  • Make futile chewing motions with your mouth while starving to death.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1774 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:14 AM »
I love like the video starts like: "Yeah, Mangini's awesome, now on to the next drummers!" (I'm talking about episode 2 here)

:lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1775 on: April 27, 2011, 09:33:16 AM »
Man, the Roddy audition looked like a disaster, with them struggling to say anything positive.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1776 on: April 27, 2011, 09:34:22 AM »
Marco and Lang stood out. Not a bang fan of Virgil especially the way in which he holds the sticks.

You mean, the good way? :lol

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1777 on: April 27, 2011, 09:34:31 AM »
Minnemann and Mangini are absolutely stunning, and Donati's not far behind.

Looking forward to hearing Wildoer. Think Priester might be in the Roddy vein - cool drummer, but not DT material.

Minnemann's my favourite, although I think Mangini's gonna get it. Mangini's pretty nifty, but he's the obvious choice. Minnemann would add something massive to the band.

Also: "IN THE SERIES FINALE." Best voiceover ever.

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1778 on: April 27, 2011, 09:34:49 AM »
Of the five auditions shown, Marco Minneman is my favorite by a wide margin and I'd like him to be the drummer. I know that it's unlikely, but still... Virgil Donati, however, was also just marvelous sounding and it's a shame that he had the hiccups he did during his audition. Roddy's blastbeats were impressive... Lang was alright; kind of a boring audition though. Then, of course, Mangini's was great...

I think that the one that James says, "Best by farrrrrrrrrrrrrrr", to, is our friend Mr. Wildoer. :) And I think that Peter is the one who got the job. :)

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1779 on: April 27, 2011, 09:36:19 AM »
Man, the Roddy audition looked like a disaster, with them struggling to say anything positive.

rumborak
6 hours later, JP holding his cam: "Oh, yeah! He has good blast-beats...OK, CUT!"

Offline Aniland

« Reply #1780 on: April 27, 2011, 09:36:56 AM »
Just watched Marco's part where they played The Spirit Carries On. Damn, James was kinda off there o-o

James actually sounded terrific.

Offline John94

« Reply #1781 on: April 27, 2011, 09:37:05 AM »
Marco and Lang stood out. Not a bang fan of Virgil especially the way in which he holds the sticks.

You mean, the good way? :lol

rumborak

I don't know much about the ways to hold drum sticks but they way Virgil does it just reminds me of chop sticks.

Offline TheOutlawXanadu

• DTF.com Member
« Reply #1782 on: April 27, 2011, 09:37:55 AM »

rumborak

I think it's a combination of incompatible style and little interest on his part. It also seemed like he didn't have as much time to prepare as everyone else. I could be imagining that, though.
:TOX: <-- My own emoticon!

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1783 on: April 27, 2011, 09:38:01 AM »
This second episode isn't as re-watchable as the first. Oh well!

Marco and Mike have been the best by far, mostly because of their personality. But the more I think about it, the more I realize Mike has quite a big edge. There's just something about him. I think I have a man crush.

I agree with every word of that post.  BUT, keep in mind, are opinions are somewhat manipulated by what footage is shown.  I'm sure there were some magical moments from all these guys.

So, both JM and JP say at the end that it's down to 2 so far:  Mangini and Minneman.  And the other 3 did have some struggles.  

I will say that, while I don't know much about Roddy's drumming, there are two things that stood out to me about his clips:  (1) I love his easygoing personality.  Seems like the ideal guy to have in a band from a personality standpoint.  (2) His blast beats are amazing.  Not to take anything away from MP, but even on the album, his blast beats at the end of ANTR sound like they are just a fraction of a beat behind and it is like he is struggling to keep the pace.  Roddy's were just spot on and sounded effortless.  Perhaps more importantly, they sounded like a beat rather than a trick or a flourish.  

Anyhow, can't wait for ep. 3.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline robwebster

« Reply #1784 on: April 27, 2011, 09:38:26 AM »
Oh! I didn't mention how much I adore the fact that Donati kept excitedly going back to play that section of TDoE, because he wanted to do something new and absolutely brilliant with it.

The band loved it, too, by the sounds of things, so I think it's more likely that they just didn't feel the chemistry quite as closely with Lang but wanted to make sure the auditions reflected well on all auditionees.