Author Topic: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming  (Read 354974 times)

Offline zxlkho

• Official Dream Theater Hater.
  • DTF.org Member
Re: The Official Opeth Thread: New Album now streaming
« Reply #1925 on: September 14, 2011, 08:45:49 AM »
I think it's good that you're not a diehard Opeth-fan tbh, those are crazy.  :lol

The worst kind of fans are the ones that DEMAND something from their favorite artists/bands, I think in the end we should all be happy that they are doing what they want to do, and we should just appreciate that.  :heart
Eh, while you should never demand a certain standard to be met from a band you like, taking that attitude isn't much better.  Morbid Angel's new album is just awful,  is it cool that Trey's doing what he wants to do and he doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks?  Yeah, but at the same time, if he really wanted to change the sound of Morbid Angel that much, why not form a 'Side Project' with the members so as not to completely ruin and alienate Morbid Angel for everyone.  Chuck Schuldiner did that with Control Denied, and his Death fans not only liked it, but appreciated he didn't change 'Death's' sound, even though both band featured the members from the album era 'The Sound of Perseverance'  with a new singer.

Death's sound changed DRASTICALLY over their career though... Just listen to their first album, then The Sound of Perseverance...
I AM A GUY
You're a fucking stupid bitch.
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1926 on: September 14, 2011, 08:59:02 AM »
I think it's good that you're not a diehard Opeth-fan tbh, those are crazy.  :lol

The worst kind of fans are the ones that DEMAND something from their favorite artists/bands, I think in the end we should all be happy that they are doing what they want to do, and we should just appreciate that.  :heart
Eh, while you should never demand a certain standard to be met from a band you like, taking that attitude isn't much better.  Morbid Angel's new album is just awful,  is it cool that Trey's doing what he wants to do and he doesn't give a fuck what anyone thinks?  Yeah, but at the same time, if he really wanted to change the sound of Morbid Angel that much, why not form a 'Side Project' with the members so as not to completely ruin and alienate Morbid Angel for everyone.  Chuck Schuldiner did that with Control Denied, and his Death fans not only liked it, but appreciated he didn't change 'Death's' sound, even though both band featured the members from the album era 'The Sound of Perseverance'  with a new singer.

Death's sound changed DRASTICALLY over their career though... Just listen to their first album, then The Sound of Perseverance...
But they still had a certain sound and standard that they delivered.  Chuck made it more progessive the further in he got, but with every album you can say without a doubt, "THIS IS DEATH"  with Heritage, it sounds like an unsure "Maybe it's Opeth?"
I think you can understand what I'm trying to say.

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1927 on: September 14, 2011, 09:00:29 AM »
I'm still not understanding how people can't identify it as Opeth. :lol

It's so obvious when listening to it. :P
I AM A GUY
Orion....that's the one with a bunch of power chords and boringly harsh vocals, isn't it?

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1928 on: September 14, 2011, 09:01:19 AM »
It sounds like an Identity Crisis.
But do you get what I'm saying with that example of Death, Morbid Angel and such.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #1929 on: September 14, 2011, 09:03:43 AM »
New album is good, everyone should shut up

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1930 on: September 14, 2011, 09:10:54 AM »
Heritage >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> ADTOE
Your crocodiles are backwards.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline Bedwetting Cosmonaut

• Honorary DTF Alarm Clock
  • Meatloaf
« Reply #1931 on: September 14, 2011, 09:13:10 AM »

As awesome of a person you seem to be, Alexi, I have to agree with Ryan here. I mean, DT is one of the best bands ever, but Opeth totally beats them here.

BC

I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #1932 on: September 14, 2011, 09:18:47 AM »

As awesome of a person you seem to be, Alexi, I have to agree with Ryan here. I mean, DT is one of the best bands ever, but Opeth totally beats them here.

BC
At least you put it in respectful terms. I'll give you that.

*cough*

But yeah, I love Heritage quite a bit, but it's definitely not in my top 5 for this year (yet, so maybe). Probably top 10 or 15.
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline zxlkho

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1933 on: September 14, 2011, 09:19:02 AM »
:lol Alexi
I AM A GUY

• Meatloaf
« Reply #1934 on: September 14, 2011, 09:50:42 AM »
???

BC

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #1935 on: September 14, 2011, 09:53:28 AM »
It's Alexei

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1936 on: September 14, 2011, 10:05:20 AM »
New album is good, everyone should shut up
Okay, I'll forget about Black Tusk in October and just put it on my shelf while I bore myself to tears on new Opeth.  ;D

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1937 on: September 14, 2011, 10:35:21 AM »

This.
It sounds much more like Opeth then people make it sound, it's almost so clear that you hear it on the intro track already. :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1938 on: September 14, 2011, 10:39:09 AM »

This.
It sounds much more like Opeth then people make it sound, it's almost so clear that you hear it on the intro track already. :P
This is why I don't like sharing my opinions on albums or anything in general.  I'm always told "Oh you just need to listen to it more" or "You guys obviously just aren't listening to it right its Opeth at their finest"
I mean you guys aren't blatantly saying it, but the undertones have been strong.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1939 on: September 14, 2011, 10:42:05 AM »
It's hard to tell since I don't know how many times you have listened to it, but personally I believe that an album has to be heard at least 7-8 times before it's possible to determine the quality of it, especially it it's an album with many layers, and the type of music where you hear new things with each listen. :P

But there's really nothing as a right opinion or a wrong opinion, but personally I believe that this album sounds more like Opeth then some of their other albums has, I think it sounds more Opeth then Watershed and Damnation does, even though the former has growls on it.
I don't know, it's just how I see it.  ;)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1940 on: September 14, 2011, 10:45:12 AM »
It's hard to tell since I don't know how many times you have listened to it, but personally I believe that an album has to be heard at least 7-8 times before it's possible to determine the quality of it, especially it it's an album with many layers, and the type of music where you hear new things with each listen. :P

But there's really nothing as a right opinion or a wrong opinion, but personally I believe that this album sounds more like Opeth then some of their other albums has, I think it sounds more Opeth then Watershed and Damnation does, even though the former has growls on it.
I don't know, it's just how I see it.  ;)
1-2 listens for me is all I need to determine an album

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1941 on: September 14, 2011, 10:47:09 AM »
Cool stuff, so in other words you can listen to an album twice, and then it will never grow on you again? ;)

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1942 on: September 14, 2011, 10:53:29 AM »
Cool stuff, so in other words you can listen to an album twice, and then it will never grow on you again? ;)
Um.  Going by your logic, I need to listen to Lil Wayne's The Carter IV 7-8 to determine I really don't like it.  If I can listen to an album twice through and decide that I don't really like it, then I think it's safe to say it won't grow on me that much.  Like I said, its not inherently bad, they have good musicianship, but overall its colossally undewhelming and not the exciting venture I hoped it would be.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1943 on: September 14, 2011, 10:57:54 AM »
Nah, I'm just saying that things can come around.
I've experienced albums myself that were hard to like at first, but after X amount of listens, they started to grow for real. 
Might be different for everyone I guess.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1944 on: September 14, 2011, 11:33:12 AM »
I have given Heritage about half a dozen spins now, and sad to say, my initial opinion hasn't changed. My dislike for it has nothing to do with my expectations of Opeth-I love the hell out of Damnation, and have loved their lighter moments all the way back to Orchid. I don't find the songwriting on the album to be particularly strong, it wears its seventies progressive rock influences on its sleeve, and it simply bores me. I said it on my first listen, and I say it again: Opeth isn't a very good 70s progressive rock band. Their lighter moments, even Damnation, still felt like Opeth. This feels like some band that put out a single album around 1975 or so that the critics would hammer for aping their betters too closely.

This is the first time Opeth's disappointed me.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1945 on: September 14, 2011, 11:44:04 AM »
I have given Heritage about half a dozen spins now, and sad to say, my initial opinion hasn't changed. My dislike for it has nothing to do with my expectations of Opeth-I love the hell out of Damnation, and have loved their lighter moments all the way back to Orchid. I don't find the songwriting on the album to be particularly strong, it wears its seventies progressive rock influences on its sleeve, and it simply bores me. I said it on my first listen, and I say it again: Opeth isn't a very good 70s progressive rock band. Their lighter moments, even Damnation, still felt like Opeth. This feels like some band that put out a single album around 1975 or so that the critics would hammer for aping their betters too closely.

Thank you.  Have I said we need to be best buds?

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1946 on: September 14, 2011, 11:48:27 AM »
I'm curious if the people bashing Heritage are the same people that will praise ADTOE.

Just curious, I'm not insinuating anything.  :P

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1947 on: September 14, 2011, 12:16:36 PM »
I'm curious if the people bashing Heritage are the same people that will praise ADTOE.

No one's bashing anything, and yes I found ADTOE much better.
Giving a critique is not the same as bashing. 
What makes you right to say Heritage is better than ADTOE?  It's all opinions, and just because someone disagrees, doesn't make you right or wrong, so I don't get why you keep putting everyone off who says they don't like it as bashers, or they didn't listen to it enough.
I fully know well enough that not many people are gonna agree with me when I say Dark Castle have released the best album of the year, not many people listen to a lot of doom metal and its not the most accessible, do I tell everyone they're just ignorant?  Nope, I just respect their decision and I'll just keep listening to DC, and you know what?  Some people I do show them to love them, and thats pretty cool too.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2011, 01:13:16 PM by Dark Castle »

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1948 on: September 14, 2011, 02:03:01 PM »

No one's bashing anything, and yes I found ADTOE much better.
Giving a critique is not the same as bashing. 
What makes you right to say Heritage is better than ADTOE?  It's all opinions, and just because someone disagrees, doesn't make you right or wrong, so I don't get why you keep putting everyone off who says they don't like it as bashers, or they didn't listen to it enough.
I fully know well enough that not many people are gonna agree with me when I say Dark Castle have released the best album of the year, not many people listen to a lot of doom metal and its not the most accessible, do I tell everyone they're just ignorant?  Nope, I just respect their decision and I'll just keep listening to DC, and you know what?  Some people I do show them to love them, and thats pretty cool too.

You may be reading between the lines in his posts. I don't think he's called anyone ignorant and has been discussing his opinions pretty respectfully.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1949 on: September 14, 2011, 02:41:19 PM »
Yeah, I haven't called anyone ignorant, and I'm trying to be as respectful in discussions as I can.

In this case it's an album I really like, and it hasn't even been released officially yet (that's how new it is), and I've already come across several people who are like: "yeah I heard it while I played Halo with my pals last night, it sounded lame" and even though I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, I do think that every album needs a bit time to be digested, and at least a few spins additional to the first, before people should call it out as a bad album.  :P

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #1950 on: September 14, 2011, 03:50:05 PM »

Thank you.  Have I said we need to be best buds?

I think you did when I said I liked Woe and Wolves in the Throne Room  :lol
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline DarkEternalNight

• I take the "the" out of psychotherapist
  • GODDDD ISSSS DEAAADDDD
« Reply #1951 on: September 14, 2011, 06:18:06 PM »
Pyre  :heart

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1952 on: September 14, 2011, 06:51:03 PM »
This isn't acceptable. Listen more and you will love it.

BC

OK, in that case allow me to send you my address via PM. You can have the album shipped to me whenever is convenient for you  ;D

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #1953 on: September 14, 2011, 09:05:16 PM »
while I am not a fan of growls, I do have to admit I miss them on this album

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1954 on: September 14, 2011, 09:24:07 PM »
I listened to the stream again. Unfortunately, it just reinforced my initial reaction. I really don't know how to react to this album. While I can appreciate it on the aesthetic/expiremental level, I'm just not sure what this album is trying to make me feel, which is bad as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Dark Castle

• DTF.org Member
  • SmegmaPrincessX
« Reply #1955 on: September 14, 2011, 09:42:00 PM »
Yeah, I haven't called anyone ignorant, and I'm trying to be as respectful in discussions as I can.

In this case it's an album I really like, and it hasn't even been released officially yet (that's how new it is), and I've already come across several people who are like: "yeah I heard it while I played Halo with my pals last night, it sounded lame" and even though I'm not pointing fingers at anyone in particular, I do think that every album needs a bit time to be digested, and at least a few spins additional to the first, before people should call it out as a bad album.  :P
I listened to it while doing homework.  Paid attention to it the whole time.  The ignorant remark was a tad far, but you're sending strong undertones of it.  I don't know if you're talking about the people on here or not, but I don't remember anyone who didn't like it saying they didn't pay much attention to it.  We're critiquing it and some of us just don't find it that good.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1956 on: September 15, 2011, 01:25:18 AM »
I think it's a brilliant album. And I love when artists try new things.

rumborak
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1957 on: September 15, 2011, 01:36:50 AM »
I listened to it while doing homework.  Paid attention to it the whole time. 

Sounds like you paid attention to the wrong thing tbh.  :biggrin:

• Meatloaf
« Reply #1958 on: September 15, 2011, 07:43:45 AM »
I listened to the stream again. Unfortunately, it just reinforced my initial reaction. I really don't know how to react to this album. While I can appreciate it on the aesthetic/expiremental level, I'm just not sure what this album is trying to make me feel, which is bad as far as I'm concerned.

Maybe if you heard it on vinyl you would appreciate it.

Buy the vinyl, spin it a few times, then come back to me and tell me you don't like it. You won't.

BC

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1959 on: September 15, 2011, 07:47:36 AM »

Maybe if you heard it on vinyl you would appreciate it.

Buy the vinyl, spin it a few times, then come back to me and tell me you don't like it. You won't.

BC

Maybe. That's happened to me with albums before. So, when you shipping me the vinyl?