Author Topic: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29  (Read 213159 times)

Offline toro

• wazzup
  • Metal, Drums and beers they finally got it right
Re: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29
« Reply #1190 on: February 25, 2013, 09:18:15 PM »
GUYS GUYS GUYS I AINT EVEN MAD. THAT MATCH WAS A 5 STAR MATCH.

Too bad about punk having to step down for The Rock, can you guys Imagine that match at WM29 main event?
I imagined the story to go more like this.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1191 on: February 25, 2013, 09:46:18 PM »
Only CM Punk can get a 5 star match out of John Cena.

Undertaker vs Punk will be better even if The Undertaker's gut is too fat to box with god :hat

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #1192 on: February 25, 2013, 11:56:29 PM »
Great match, but was there any particular reason why Cole referred to the crossface as the STF or was that just a mistake?

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #1193 on: February 26, 2013, 12:11:01 AM »
Great match, but was there any particular reason why Cole referred to the crossface as the STF or was that just a mistake?
Not a mistake. The spanish feed also called it an STF. It's probably because of the Benoit thing and vince told them to not call the move by name.

I was sitting a traffic light blaring Space Dye Vest and next to me in another car was Kevin Moore. And I'll never be open again.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1194 on: February 26, 2013, 12:41:19 AM »
That was a great match, but it sucks that Punk is getting phased out of the title picture.

Also, that Lesnar/HHH segment was predictable.  And lame.  Especially when HHH wet his pants:

:lol :lol :lol :lol

Offline Weymolith

• THIS IS NOT HERE
  • Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1195 on: February 26, 2013, 07:11:52 AM »
GUYS GUYS GUYS I AINT EVEN MAD. THAT MATCH WAS A 5 STAR MATCH.

Too bad about punk having to step down for The Rock, can you guys Imagine that match at WM29 main event?

That was an amazing match!

From WrestleNews : Vince McMahon reportedly “blew a gasket” backstage at RAW last night during the CM Punk vs. John Cena main event. Word is that Vince got upset when Punk hit Cena with a piledriver, which is a banned move when done the way Punk did it. Vince was upset with Cena and Punk but because it was them, there will likely be no serious punishment.

Blood. Banned pile-drivers. Why can't all RAWs be of this caliber?
As a general rule, never play with boxes that open portals to Hell.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #1196 on: February 26, 2013, 07:33:17 AM »
He should be more mad at Cena's hurracanrana. :lol
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1197 on: February 26, 2013, 07:45:52 AM »
Can someone fill me in on why so many hardcore wrestling fans I know absolutely hate the Rock now?

I haven't been watching at all, but I used to love Rock 'n Sock back in the day. The Rock coming back was awesome, but not enough to get me back into wrestling. Apparently, his return has been a big disappointment for a lot of hardcore fans. Why?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1198 on: February 26, 2013, 07:50:49 AM »
Because he's a part-time wrestler who's getting a championship run just because of who he is and is taking the spotlight away from the new/younger/full-time talent they have.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1199 on: February 26, 2013, 08:44:23 AM »
Can someone fill me in on why so many hardcore wrestling fans I know absolutely hate the Rock now?

I haven't been watching at all, but I used to love Rock 'n Sock back in the day. The Rock coming back was awesome, but not enough to get me back into wrestling. Apparently, his return has been a big disappointment for a lot of hardcore fans. Why?

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was with The Rock right up until the 1,000th episode of Raw, which was when he announced that he was going to wrestle for the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble.  Note the phrasing, because it's important: he announced that he was going to wrestle for the championship.  It was that simple.  There was no title hunt, no number one contender's match, no request, nothing.  Just, "I'm The Rock, I get a title match." 

And that's pretty much been the story of his return.  He's The Rock, so he gets to host Wrestlemania.  He's The Rock, so he gets to headline Wrestlemania.  He's The Rock, so he gets a free title match.  He's The Rock, so he gets to headline Wrestlemania for the second year in a row.  Nevermind the fact that he's wrestled less than a dozen matches since returning two years ago - he's The Rock.

To me, at this point, it feels like the whole thing is just an ego trip for him.  Meanwhile, wrestlers who are dedicated to the profession are having their dreams put on hold or crushed entirely while they take a back seat to a guy who isn't even there half the time. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1200 on: February 26, 2013, 08:57:27 AM »
Eh, that sucks. When he came back, he made it sound like he was really coming back full-time.

Is he good on the mic still, at least?

Offline wkiml

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1201 on: February 26, 2013, 09:00:50 AM »
he still has his mic skills but alittle less harsh being the WWE PG theme now
Quote from: senecadawg2 on July 17, 2012, 10:54:32 PM
In defense of peanut butter...

try getting the neighbor's dog to lick your balls with a spoonful of chummus.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1202 on: February 26, 2013, 09:01:53 AM »
Is he good on the mic still, at least?

Oh, yeah.  I'm not prepared to say he's as good as he once was, but he's still really good.  (For the most part.  He's had a couple of stinkers, in my opinion.) 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1203 on: February 26, 2013, 09:05:34 AM »
I thought his mic skills were awful at the Royal Rumble. Waffling on about some crap, it was just painful to watch.
I never did like him as a face though. He's much better as a heel, but of course they're not going to do that with him at this point. Plus the PG thing would ruin it anyway. What's he gonna say "candy-butt"? "Candy booty"?
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1204 on: February 26, 2013, 09:11:23 AM »
He's much better as a heel, but of course they're not going to do that with him at this point. Plus the PG thing would ruin it anyway. What's he gonna say "candy-butt"? "Candy booty"?

Yeah, The Rock as a heel needs to be edgy, and right now, PG haters cheer for literally anything edgy, so I'm not sure heel Rock would work too well.  He'd just get more popular.

Rock: "Everyone in this audience is a bitch."
Audience: "OMG HE SAID BITCH HOOORAAAAAYY  ROCKY ROCKY ROCKY!"
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1205 on: February 26, 2013, 09:15:54 AM »

I can't speak for anyone else, but I was with The Rock right up until the 1,000th episode of Raw, which was when he announced that he was going to wrestle for the WWE Championship at the Royal Rumble.  Note the phrasing, because it's important: he announced that he was going to wrestle for the championship.  It was that simple.  There was no title hunt, no number one contender's match, no request, nothing.  Just, "I'm The Rock, I get a title match." 

And that's pretty much been the story of his return.  He's The Rock, so he gets to host Wrestlemania.  He's The Rock, so he gets to headline Wrestlemania.  He's The Rock, so he gets a free title match.  He's The Rock, so he gets to headline Wrestlemania for the second year in a row.  Nevermind the fact that he's wrestled less than a dozen matches since returning two years ago - he's The Rock.

To me, at this point, it feels like the whole thing is just an ego trip for him.  Meanwhile, wrestlers who are dedicated to the profession are having their dreams put on hold or crushed entirely while they take a back seat to a guy who isn't even there half the time.

All true, but blame Vince.  If you are the Rock and Vince says to you, "I'll pay you a million bucks (or whatever) to just show up on occasion, and we'll even give you a title reign to boot," would you say no?  Of course not.  It's an easy payday.  But it speaks volumes to Vince's lack of faith in the current roster:

-A guy who has wrestled four times in the last two years is now headlining his 2nd Wrestlemania in a row.
-You just brought back Brock Lesnar for a year, and instead of having him put over and up-and-comer, you had him job to Cena and (most likely) HHH (at Wrestlemania), two guys who don't need the rub.
-The Undertaker, despite looking fat and out of shape, will be given a prime Wrestlemania spot.

Meanwhile, guys like Punk, Ziggler, Bryan, etc. will be mere afterthoughts come Wrestlemania.  It is awful.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1206 on: February 26, 2013, 09:43:02 AM »
I thought his mic skills were awful at the Royal Rumble. Waffling on about some crap, it was just painful to watch.
I never did like him as a face though. He's much better as a heel, but of course they're not going to do that with him at this point. Plus the PG thing would ruin it anyway. What's he gonna say "candy-butt"? "Candy booty"?
He would say "Candy Ass". PG doesn't apply to The Rock he's making Vince, and the network a lot of money. So they really aren't going to care if he uses a few curse words on live TV.

Offline Jaffa

• Just Jaffa
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1207 on: February 26, 2013, 09:56:07 AM »
All true, but blame Vince.  If you are the Rock and Vince says to you, "I'll pay you a million bucks (or whatever) to just show up on occasion, and we'll even give you a title reign to boot," would you say no?  Of course not.  It's an easy payday.

I'm not defending Vince, but The Rock is part of the problem, too.  He had the power to dictate whatever terms he wanted for his contract.  If he wanted to be there full-time, he would be there full-time.  Think Vince would say no?  If Rock said, "Hey, Vince, I'd like to wrestle on a weekly basis, get in a lot of great feuds, and put over a lot of young talent," would Vince say no?  "No, Rock, I don't want any of that; I want you to wrestle five matches over the course of two years."  Would Vince say that?  Of course not.  That's absurd.  Vince would want to get as much use out of The Rock as he possibly could.

The Rock's working on his own terms.  He shows up when it fits his schedule to show up.  He wrestles when he feels like it, and he makes damn sure there's a championship involved when he does. 

You said it yourself: it's an easy payday.  It's a free ride in the spotlight.  And if it wasn't an easy payday or a free ride in the spotlight, the Rock wouldn't be there.  And yes, that bothers me a little bit. 
Sincerely,
Jaffa

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1208 on: February 26, 2013, 10:02:28 AM »
I blame both Vince and The Rock, for the reasons stated. If Rock wanted to show up to every weekly show, he could and would. But Vince no doubt gave him a cushy deal with very little minimum obligation.
Same deal for Brock. He's just in it for the money, and doesn't care about the wrestling.

And Vince will accommodate whatever they want, because they're the star power.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1209 on: February 26, 2013, 10:15:11 AM »
The WWE really messed up Ziggler! He had an enormous amount of momentum after beating Cena at TLC! He should've cashed in within 3 weeks of that! But noooo, they stick him with Big E and AJ and that stable is going nowhere!

Also:

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1210 on: February 26, 2013, 10:52:39 AM »
I don't know why anyone would blame the Rock at all.  He obviously still loves wrestling, and it just as obviously isn't his full-time source of income.  It is only by the name and reputation he made for himself when he WAS a full-time wrestler that he can do such an arrangement now.  And frankly, if Vince didn't think he needed him, he would never have agreed to it.

I've tuned in to RAW a few times since The Rock's return, and besides CM Punk, none of the other regulars held my attention.  If they were better, then Vince wouldn't want the Rock back, because he wouldn't need him.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1211 on: February 26, 2013, 11:08:26 AM »
I don't know why anyone would blame the Rock at all.  He obviously still loves wrestling, and it just as obviously isn't his full-time source of income.  It is only by the name and reputation he made for himself when he WAS a full-time wrestler that he can do such an arrangement now.  And frankly, if Vince didn't think he needed him, he would never have agreed to it.

I've tuned in to RAW a few times since The Rock's return, and besides CM Punk, none of the other regulars held my attention.  If they were better, then Vince wouldn't want the Rock back, because he wouldn't need him.
Yeah I actually agree with that. Everything I've seen after The Rock is pretty bad. John Cena comes off as a tool and his gimmick is absolutely horrible. Chris Jericho could have stepped up, but he never seems to get his "moment", and he's always been disappointing in that regard. And he's kinda ageing out, I think. Plus, there are a tons of boring guys who are maybe technically great but have no personality, like Randy Orton.

Wrestling's just really boring. The Rock isn't boring. Him coming back full-time might have got me to tune in more often, but considering his age and where he's at in life, I don't see why he would.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1212 on: February 26, 2013, 11:30:25 AM »
Jericho always puts on great matches and has no problem putting over younger talent (like Ziggler last summer, or The Shield last week), so he plays his role very well. 

As for the Rock, what is funny is that if Hulk Hogan did the same thing, abusing his power because of his star status, he would ripped beyond belief.  Imagine if Hogan came back, showed up only here and there, was in the main event whenever he did feel like showing up, was just handed the WWE title despite not doing anything to even deserve the title shot, and went over Cena once and Punk twice, while not jobbing to ANYONE in the nearly two years since he has been back.  My God, the backlash would be insane.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1213 on: February 26, 2013, 11:45:25 AM »
I don't think it's a fair comparison.  For one thing, Hogan got aged out of the business.  He didn't leave while still in prime wrestling shape.

For another thing, he can't wrestle his way out of a paper bag.  And never could.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1214 on: February 26, 2013, 11:50:23 AM »
Okay, but the Rock is strictly a brawler just like Hogan, so why does that matter?  It's not like being a great wrestler is necessary to be a big star, just like the great wrestlers almost never become the biggest stars (unless they have major star power, like Flair back in the day). 

And most wrestlers leave not in prime wrestling shape anymore, so, again, how is that relevant?  If they aren't having to retire early because of injuries (Bret Hart, Steve Austin, Rick Rude, etc.) or dying young (Curt Hennig, Chris Benoit, etc.), then they are hanging on way too long and finally having to retire because they physically cannot do it anymore; Hogan is certainly not alone in that regard.

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1215 on: February 26, 2013, 11:56:05 AM »
Okay, but the Rock is strictly a brawler

Is he really? I'd never think to call him that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1216 on: February 26, 2013, 11:57:04 AM »
The Rock is physically still in great shape.  In fact, this situation appears to be unique, so I wouldn't compare him to anyone else, because it's never been done before.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1217 on: February 26, 2013, 12:02:06 PM »
I wonder if a part-timer like Rock is subject to random drug testing, cause you gotta figure he is on something, being that huge and all.  Plus, it is easier to stay in shape from a strictly physical standpoint (meaning, how you look) when you aren't on the road non-stop year after year.  The fact that guys like Cena and Orton maintain their physiques despite the constant travel is pretty amazing.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1218 on: February 26, 2013, 12:42:46 PM »
The Rock is physically still in great shape.
Correction, he's in a much better shape than he ever was!

Offline toro

• wazzup
« Reply #1219 on: February 26, 2013, 03:06:07 PM »
The Rock is physically still in great shape.
Correction, he's in a much better shape than he ever was!
Nah m8 he got gassed the fuck out during both of his CM Punk matches.
A part of me believes the Cena vs Punk match was Punk's way to say: "See? I should be main eventing. Not a past his prime movie start that can't keep up in a match for more than 5 minutes"

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #1220 on: February 26, 2013, 03:13:57 PM »
The Rock looks better than ever, but he clearly isn't in great wrestling shape as compared to the old days (which is why, as you said, he gets gassed easily now); part of it is probably ring rust, too.  Fortunately, Punk can get a good match out of almost anyone (similar to Flair, Bret Hart, Shawn Michaels, etc. in the past), so their matches were still good.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1221 on: February 26, 2013, 06:14:33 PM »
I wonder if a part-timer like Rock is subject to random drug testing, cause you gotta figure he is on something, being that huge and all. 
WTF??

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1222 on: February 27, 2013, 10:00:52 AM »
So, supposedly, Vince was so mad about the piledriver spot that Arn Anderson almost got fired (he was the producer of the match, I guess). I watched a video of that spot and man it got a ridiculous pop!

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1223 on: February 27, 2013, 10:42:04 AM »
Vince needs to stop being so uptight what happened to Steve Austin was an accident. Cena obviously wasn't worried about breaking his neck again or he wouldn't have let Punk do it. So really it's a non issue that Vince is blowing out of proportion.

Offline Syzzle

« Reply #1224 on: February 27, 2013, 01:44:27 PM »
- PWInsider is reporting that Undertaker vs. CM Punk is now penciled in for this year's WrestleMania and creative is scrambling to fast-track the match's storyline.

WWE creative is concerned with Punk losing the last two WWE pay-per-views and then again to John Cena. They feel a loss to The Undertaker at WrestleMania could really damage one of the two names who draw on the road currently, the other being John Cena.

20-1? I hope not but The Undertaker has been wanting someone ending the streak.