Author Topic: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 29  (Read 213149 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Wrestling - Road to Wrestlemania 28
« Reply #735 on: June 29, 2012, 07:06:26 PM »
I agree with Chad, the Road Warriors in the NWA were the most kick ass team ever.  Loved how they would just toss one jobber out of the ring right away then beat the snot out of the other.  Yes, they used Iron Man for their entrance.  I also agree that WWF ruined them.  I thought originally Doink was a very cool gimmick; this being a demented clown.  It obviously changed and became a joke.  I still think the coolest team/faction of all time is the Four Horseman- my favorite being Flair, Anderson, Blanchard and Windham.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #736 on: June 29, 2012, 07:06:51 PM »
I'm still laughing over when Kane was Fake Diesel

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #737 on: June 29, 2012, 07:37:33 PM »
I forget who was fake Razor?

I preferred the FH with Ole over Windham.

We need Toro or a mod to modify the thread title.

Another bad gimmick ... Eugene.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #738 on: June 29, 2012, 07:44:53 PM »
lol Eugene. The fuck were they thinking?

Also, not a gimmick, but a gimmick storyline: Katie Vick. Ugh... Twas the end of Kane with that one.

Billy & Chuck
Rico
Hornswaggle
Umaga
Tensai
The Great Khali
The Boogeyman
« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 07:53:28 PM by Zook »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
  • Fuckin' magnets, how do they work?
« Reply #739 on: June 29, 2012, 07:52:18 PM »
Unmasking Kane and the Katie Vick storyline were the worst things to ever happen to the Kane character!

Also, not one of my favorites or worst, but I gotta give props to the (imo) much underappreciated Billy Gunn. He took that Ass Man gimmick, ran with it and was very over! Always thought he was a good worker too.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #740 on: June 29, 2012, 11:50:45 PM »
Last year I saw Billy Gunn at a local show in front of maybe 50 people.  He was a good worker but I think he had a poor attitude.  And yeah, that Katie Vick storyline was awful.

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #741 on: June 30, 2012, 04:16:24 AM »
I forget who was fake Razor?

Fake Razor was Rick Bognar, but he never got repackaged into a successful gimmick as Kane did.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #742 on: June 30, 2012, 04:43:33 AM »
Yeah, the Road Warriors were the greatest.  And yes, the WWF ruined them.  They were huge everywhere they went, and had tremendous respect in Japan.  I actually saw Hawk wrestle a singles match against Ric Flair once and he did surprisingly well, although Flair could carry a crappy wrestler to a great match, so who knows.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #743 on: June 30, 2012, 06:09:42 AM »
Yeah, the Road Warriors were the greatest.  And yes, the WWF ruined them.  They were huge everywhere they went, and had tremendous respect in Japan.  I actually saw Hawk wrestle a singles match against Ric Flair once and he did surprisingly well, although Flair could carry a crappy wrestler to a great match, so who knows.

I remember that match (or at least a match like that.. maybe they had more than one).  Hawk was awesome.  Some legendary rivalries against Henning/Hall in the AWA, and the Rock 'n' Roll Express, Midnight Express, Doom, Powers of Pain, and any other combination Crockett could put together in the NWA.

another bad gimmick ... The Hurricane.  How did that ever get over?  Hated that.
Others:
Nailz
Tugboat
Terry Taylor converted into the Red Rooster
One Man Gang converted into Akeem
Rotundo converted into IRS

Other good ones:
King Kong Bundy and the 5-count
Kamala with the belly slap
Big John Studd being un-slammable
The APA... DAMN!
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #744 on: June 30, 2012, 07:13:37 AM »
The Hurricane was at least funny.

Offline masterthes

« Reply #745 on: June 30, 2012, 11:13:48 AM »
Does anybody know what's going on with Stephanie? I saw a recent pictorial where she's shredded now. Is she planning to return to the ring, or is HHH trying to Chyna-ize her?

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #746 on: June 30, 2012, 11:25:36 AM »
No and no, she did that to lose all the weight gain from being pregnant.
Joe and I in the same squad is basically the virtual equivalent of us plowing a rape van through an elementary school playground at recess.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #747 on: June 30, 2012, 01:23:40 PM »
One of my favorite gimmicks was Val Venis.  I know it was cheesy and stupid, but it was hilarious too.

"Hello, ladies!  You know, the Big Valboski is kind of like a Rubik's Cube.  The longer you play with it . . . the harder it gets!"

lol

/shameface
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline FlyingBIZKIT

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #748 on: June 30, 2012, 01:24:28 PM »
Val Venis  :rollin :rollin

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #749 on: June 30, 2012, 01:42:09 PM »
Red Rooster was ridiculous........the WWF in the mid 90's had some pretty stupid gimmicks- The Goon, Duke the Dumpster, the plumper, that magician, it was super PG.  This lead to the backlash of ECW and later, the attitude era

Offline masterthes

« Reply #750 on: June 30, 2012, 02:45:17 PM »
I used to love Val Venis in the day, the Rick Rude for the 21st Century

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #751 on: June 30, 2012, 03:08:26 PM »
I use to watch Val Venis, before he was even Val Venis.

/hipster

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #752 on: July 01, 2012, 04:22:11 PM »
For worst gimmicks, I almost forgot about Phantasio (weird ass Mime/magician thing)  :lol

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x7enqq_phantasio-wwf-debut_sport

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #753 on: July 23, 2012, 08:20:07 PM »
The 1,000th Raw is on right now, and it has been pretty pedestrian thus far.  Not surprising.  Aside from the token appearances by some rarely-seen legends, this has been ho-hum. 

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #754 on: July 23, 2012, 09:27:42 PM »
Okay, that ending, with a possible heel turn by Punk, was awesome.  Absolutely perfect booking there.  Hopefully, they do him right from this point forward and don't turn him back into a weak heel who loses to everyone. 

But think about this: CM Punk just ended the biggest RAW ever by standing over a beaten John Cena and The Rock.  I'd say he's made it now.  :hat :hat :hat

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #755 on: July 23, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #756 on: July 23, 2012, 09:49:04 PM »
I loooooove the heel turn to end the show! Which means two things: 1)Punk can go back to making awesome promos, as he's always done as a heel and 2) Punk will keep the title until Royal Rumble in the least (being a big Punk mark I love this).

It was surprising and disappointing that Stone Cold didn't even make an appearance as a pre-tape thing. I did mark out when DX and the DX Army appear and when the APA came out, but holy shit are there gonna be a bazillion commercial breaks from now on!!

But think about this: CM Punk just ended the biggest RAW ever by standing over a beaten John Cena and The Rock.  I'd say he's made it now.  :hat :hat :hat
YES! YES! YES! YES!

Oh and by the way, kudos to WWE for bringing Mae Young's Hand-son.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #757 on: July 23, 2012, 09:54:34 PM »
I was slowly losing interest in this again, as they had neutered Punk (he should be a heel, not a face), but I had to watch tonight since it was the landmark episode, and with Punk possibly turning heel again, this could get pretty good again.  Thank God for DVR nowadays, as I can fast forward through most of the crap. :tup :tup

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #758 on: July 23, 2012, 10:14:23 PM »
Oh, and Stephanie... DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

Offline axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #759 on: July 23, 2012, 11:02:56 PM »
Some thoughts from tonight's episode...

The DX reunion was a lot of fun. I was in middle school when DX formed, so I was a big fan of all those guys. It was great to see them all in the ring together.

Dude Love!

I'm very interested to see how AJ does as GM

I marked out for the APA, and Slater sold the clothesline from hell like a champ.

Stephanie, Trish, and Lita were all looking damn good (granted, Lita's never had the nicest face, but still)

Loved the ending. Hopefully this is the beginning of a full fledged heel turn and we can get Punk vs Stone Cold at Wrestlemania.
Photobucket sucks.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #760 on: July 23, 2012, 11:29:11 PM »
Personally, I think that bringing old wrestlers back for a cameo is boring.  I never liked DX anyway, so I fast forwarded through that crap.  Did we really need Steve Austin to come back for one segment just so he can have a nostalgic moment where he stuns someone and then chugs beers all over the place? 

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #761 on: July 23, 2012, 11:33:33 PM »
...YES!!!

Offline Phoenix87x

• From the ashes
  • The Phoenix shall rise
« Reply #762 on: July 24, 2012, 05:58:06 AM »
Personally, I think that bringing old wrestlers back for a cameo is boring.  I never liked DX anyway, so I fast forwarded through that crap.  Did we really need Steve Austin to come back for one segment just so he can have a nostalgic moment where he stuns someone and then chugs beers all over the place?

I don't like them bringing back old wrestlers, because its out of context. They just walk down for a squash match and disappear. It doesn't help the story line or help get the current talent over. Its just for a cheap pop.

and even though the original DX was probably my favorite faction ever, the current watered down and ballsless dx is a joke.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #763 on: July 24, 2012, 06:04:16 AM »
Oh, and Stephanie... DAAAAAAAAAAAAAAMN!

This so much.  And at first I didn't recognize Trish with the brown hair color.  She's looking better than she did in her wrestling days too. 

Didn't catch the whole show (missed the full DX segment, and the APA totally).  3 hours is way too much.  And seriously, what did the Skype sessions with Sheen add?  That was totally ridiculous.  They also misused Brett Hart (introductions only?).

Way too much filler now.  I'm not sure I'll even DVR it... I just flip by to see if there's anything interesting.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #764 on: July 24, 2012, 08:46:36 AM »

I don't like them bringing back old wrestlers, because its out of context. They just walk down for a squash match and disappear. It doesn't help the story line or help get the current talent over. Its just for a cheap pop.

Exactly. 

They also misused Brett Hart (introductions only?).

Well, he can't do much else anymore.  He can't do anything physical (the guy did have a stroke years ago), so using him to announce the participants for a match like that is probably about all he can do now. 

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #765 on: July 24, 2012, 09:01:39 AM »
They also misused Brett Hart (introductions only?).

Well, he can't do much else anymore.  He can't do anything physical (the guy did have a stroke years ago), so using him to announce the participants for a match like that is probably about all he can do now.
[/quote]

Meh, he coulda cut some kind of promo.  Sure, he can't take much of a bump (he was laboring just to get to the ring).  The guy can still talk.  They coulda had some kind of heel interaction with him.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #766 on: July 24, 2012, 11:47:34 AM »
Possible Punk heel turn = :2metal:

Bring that shit ON.

Offline Dimitrius

• DT.net Member
« Reply #767 on: July 24, 2012, 11:53:32 AM »
"Possible"?!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #768 on: July 24, 2012, 12:01:50 PM »
Charlie Sheen the new David Arquette?

Also, I must have skipped over Trish's segment, but last time I saw her, she looked anorexic.

Raw 1000 was a great nostalgia show if nothing more. We probably wont see any of the old wrestlers wrestling, and I think it's unfair that The Rock gets an automatic title shot at the rumble. I wouldn't be surprised if that's the next time we see him too.

Offline DebraKadabra

• Witch Goddess of Lankershim Boulevard
  • DTF.org Member
  • Can I be as my god am?
« Reply #769 on: July 24, 2012, 12:02:16 PM »