Author Topic: The Survivor Thread  (Read 189836 times)

Offline senecadawg2

Re: The Survivor Thread
« Reply #420 on: October 12, 2012, 04:57:56 PM »
Finally got around to watching this week's episode. No surprise about Russell, although I was hoping he would find the immunity idol to spice things up. As you guys have already mentioned, it has been really tough keeping up with the people on other tribes. Penner was talking with Jeff and all of the sudden it panned over to the skinny guy who I'd never seen before.  :lol

It will be interesting to see how things unfold next week.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #421 on: October 18, 2012, 03:34:30 AM »
I figured they'd probably have to do something about the tribes this week, and it didn't surprise me that they just split them between the two teams. As they said, it just feels like starting from the beginning again.

Although I didn't like Dana, it's never nice seeing someone have to leave for medical reasons (unless it's something super badass). It's funny that they're already 2 players down straight after evening up. Maybe they're taking over as the loser team now. :lol

It would have been nice to see Malcolm and Denise able to stick together, because they were a good little team, and I like them both. Denise is easily the strongest female in the game, and being the "outsider", I was worried they'd vote her straight out, so I'm glad they didn't.

I liked this week's challenge too. They quickly found the loophole of throwing their own statue up into the air and then just knocking the opponent's statue straight to the ground, which worked pretty much every time. :lol
The preview for next week's challenge looked pretty good too.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #422 on: October 18, 2012, 04:44:45 AM »
I like how Jeff is pointing out stuff in-game more often, like how Abbi is hardly participating in any challenges, or how Katie sucked out loud in last night's challenge.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #423 on: October 18, 2012, 04:53:49 AM »
I love it when he stirs stuff up. I can't imagine it feels too good to just have him calling out and singling out how terrible you're doing during a challenge either. :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• Official Forum Sous Chef and broler5
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #424 on: October 18, 2012, 06:37:49 AM »
Yeah, I thought the whole "throw yours in the air and hit the other guy's" strategy was kinda bullshit, but it obviously worked.  Probably one of those things they'd never considered someone would do when they designed the challenge.  And yeah, next week's challenge looks awesome.  I love it when they do down and dirty challeneges like that and get crazy physical, like the Schmergen Brawl (which CBS won't be using again).

It made ME uncomfortable to see Dana go out like that.  That's complete and total physical misery when you choose to leave, after being told you don't have to.  Jeff's right to call people out on shit, though last night, he was kinda non-stop about it with Katie.  I guess for good reason.  If Katie had made it over that hill 3 seconds faster, Kalabaw would've won.  I'm okay with the TC, okay to see Dawson go, really.  I thought, for some reason that she'd tell everyone on the way out that Jeff was a baseball player.  Don't know why.  Good for her for not blowing his cover.  However, her like insta-fatal attraction thing with Jeff on her way out was a little on the creepy side.  Andy from Reality Blurred put this together:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #425 on: October 18, 2012, 06:43:36 AM »
Yeah, I thought the whole "throw yours in the air and hit the other guy's" strategy was kinda bullshit, but it obviously worked.  Probably one of those things they'd never considered someone would do when they designed the challenge.  And yeah, next week's challenge looks awesome.  I love it when they do down and dirty challeneges like that and get crazy physical, like the Schmergen Brawl (which CBS won't be using again).

They obviously didn't consider that loophole. I can just imagine the crew watching that and just thinking "shit. I did not think of that". :lol
And next week's challenge preview reminds me more of the sumo wrestling one they had in the mud a few seasons ago. That one was insane.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #426 on: October 18, 2012, 09:27:34 AM »
I thought the thing with Dawson being voted out and the way it focused on her as her torch was being snuffed was to add suspense, like, "Is she gonna turn around and out Jeff Kent?"  That is why I thought they did that.  And then she did the hug with Jeff and I was like :eek :rollin :rollin :rollin.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #427 on: October 18, 2012, 09:30:58 AM »
The whole hug thing with Jeff Probst was just very odd to me.  It felt awkward watching it.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #428 on: October 18, 2012, 09:36:10 AM »
It was slightly creepy, although I felt it was random more than anything. I think she was just overwhelmed in the moment and took the opportunity because he's the popular host. Either that, or it was a ploy to secretly take a lock of his hair for some kind of voodoo doll, or perhaps a shrine.

I was also completely expecting her to turn around and tell give away the secret. They definitely edited the rest of the episode to play that up so it seemed like she was going to, so for her to just give Jeff a hug instead was just so hilariously random to me.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #429 on: October 18, 2012, 09:43:20 AM »
It was slightly creepy, although I felt it was random more than anything. I think she was just overwhelmed in the moment and took the opportunity because he's the popular host. Either that, or it was a ploy to secretly take a lock of his hair for some kind of voodoo doll, or perhaps a shrine.

I was also completely expecting her to turn around and tell give away the secret. They definitely edited the rest of the episode to play that up so it seemed like she was going to, so for her to just give Jeff a hug instead was just so hilariously random to me.

Here's the thing though - I took this with her earlier interview piece, when Dana was sick, and she said that normally if Jeff showed up, she'd jump on him or something or other, but that this was obviously not an appropriate time.  Then the hug thing at the end.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #430 on: October 18, 2012, 09:51:08 AM »

Here's the thing though - I took this with her earlier interview piece, when Dana was sick, and she said that normally if Jeff showed up, she'd jump on him or something or other, but that this was obviously not an appropriate time.  Then the hug thing at the end.

Oh right, that was her. My memory isn't that great, so I only had her little taunt scene on my mind at that point. So I guess it wasn't so random then, just stalker-y. :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #431 on: October 26, 2012, 06:16:03 AM »
So yeah, I wonder if when they had the Dream Team run the reward challenge to ensure it worked out okay, if they scored with ease or what.  I was really looking forward to a pretty epic battle on that one, but instead, we got very little action.  Bummer.  How Penner has avoided being voted out, I don't know, but he's getting really lucky.  Katie was pretty much useless aside from being another prop from the set design department.  It was the right choice to cut her loose.  I did find it amusing that though Penner's idea to trade rice for reward was highly irregular and maybe not popular to begin with, they got (basically) a double reward with the letters.  And the other team got very little more rice than they already had.  :lol  How'd that work out for you?

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #432 on: October 26, 2012, 09:27:12 AM »
That challenge was so awesome to begin with, but was a total let down with that bargain. After a fierce start, and a one-hour lockdown, it had the makings of a classic, so that was disappointing. Considering it only gained them one day of rice, it was a shitty bargain for that tribe. :lol

They made the right choice voting out Katie. She was awful in last week's challenge.

Abby continues to be a completely worthless and annoying waste of space. I almost wished they lost just so they had the opportunity to finally kick her out. She has zero interest in helping the tribe at all in challenges (which I'm glad Jeff keeps bringing up), and it's not like she has the social game to make up for it, because nobody likes her.

And who the hell is Carter? Seriously, he came out of nowhere this week. I swear I've never seen him before! :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #433 on: October 26, 2012, 11:14:31 AM »
Yeah, it certainly looked like it would be epic, but it went cold real fast.  Bummer.  And I also love how Jeff keeps giving people shit.  This week and last week, he's made it pretty clear during each challenge that Katie has been pretty much worthless.  Abi, the same way.  She's whiny and annoying.  Buh-bye.  I still continue to be amazed by Denise.  She's one of the oldest people there, she has slightly less physical stature, due to being a female, but she busts ass every single time.  It's pretty awesome.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #434 on: October 26, 2012, 11:19:28 AM »
I agree entirely on Denise. She's impressed me ever since that swimming one, where she just kept going like a machine, and Russell kept losing the team's lead. She's in a bit of a bad spot being the "outsider" of the tribe, so hopefully her toughness can get her through some individual immunity challenges later on, because she's one of my favourites. And she hasn't gotten on anybody's bad side due to personality, and is pretty easygoing, so hopefully that will work in her favour too.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #435 on: November 02, 2012, 12:16:47 AM »
MEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRGE

It's a bit unusual to see them get warning for a merge, and go to a new camp instead of just joining one of the existing camps. Strangely, they didn't show them naming the new tribe. Not that it's an interesting process to see, it's just unusual.

Penner was smart to use the idol this week. He was definitely thinking it over, but I'm sure he realized how stupid he would be to get voted out with an idol. And I like him, so I'm glad he stayed.

Shame the eye candy is gone, but she wasn't one of my favourite people. What did annoy me was seeing Abi's smug face afterwards. How is she still in the game? I'd rather she went.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #436 on: November 02, 2012, 06:44:07 AM »
Yeah, this was an odd episode all around.  Denise CONTINUES to kick ass.  Wow.  Yeah, shame RC left, because I was REALLY irritated that Pete framed her and Abi doesn't know it.  REALLY not cool, but obviously a good move for him.  I like Penner also and am glad he played the idol.  I thought for sure he would play it and then get no votes, wasting it.  I don't know how he plans to get out of this mess next week.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #437 on: November 02, 2012, 06:53:21 AM »
I expected the idol might have ended up being wasted too, so I was surprised he got so many votes. A lot changes from one tribal council to the next, so we'll see what happens next time.
I feel like the tribe alliances are going to be less strong than they usually are at this point. Usually they stick to team alliances to pick off the other team, and you have the one or two defectors who got treated like crap in their own tribes. It didn't feel like that was as much the case this time.

I liked the immunity challenge. I always like the "outlast" kind of individual challenges, such as standing on narrow beams for as long as possible, or balancing balls for as long as possible, etc. This one was a little different for a change.

With Denise getting immunity, I think she might start to put a target on herself for being a strong player. She is a solid contender to win immunity challenges, so they might want to get rid of her while they can. Luckily she doesn't seem to have hit anyone's radar yet, and she seems to have a good little alliance going.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #438 on: November 02, 2012, 08:38:34 AM »
I suspect the alliance of Pete, Abi and Artis will land one of them in the finals, but that's only because they will eventually be viewed as someone easily beatable, so they will get dragged to the finals for that reason alone.  I like the Malcolm and Denise alliance to get together again at some point and make a run to the end. 

Jeff Kent is a dope.  They were in position to take control with numbers, but he got so obsessed with not letting a returning player (Jonathan) get further than him that he lost sight of the big picture. 

Sadly, with RC now gone, all of the eye candy is gone.  First Angie, then Katie, and now RC. :tdwn :tdwn

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #439 on: November 02, 2012, 08:41:50 AM »
he got so obsessed with not letting a returning player (Jonathan) get further than him that he lost sight of the big picture

This is one of the things that has irritated me the most.  This absolute blind drive to not be outlasted by Penner.  WTF?  He could be sitting a lot prettier by sticking with him than by going against him.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #440 on: November 02, 2012, 08:43:37 AM »
Kent would rather not win and guarantee himself finishing higher than Jonathan than risk going against him in the finals and possibly losing.  That is moronic. 

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #441 on: November 02, 2012, 08:44:44 AM »
he got so obsessed with not letting a returning player (Jonathan) get further than him that he lost sight of the big picture

This is one of the things that has irritated me the most.  This absolute blind drive to not be outlasted by Penner.  WTF?  He could be sitting a lot prettier by sticking with him than by going against him.

I've always considered it a pretty strange reason to want someone out. If they won a previous series of Survivor, then sure, but the fact they competed and lost in a series of Survivor a decade ago isn't really a great reason to want someone out imo. Not very strategic.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #442 on: November 02, 2012, 08:49:55 AM »
I don't know of Jeff Kent's baseball years, as I didn't follow it back then, but from what I hear he was kind of an asshole then.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #443 on: November 08, 2012, 08:19:54 AM »
Now, THAT was an entertaining tribal council! :tup :tup

While I would have enjoyed Pete going, I liked seeing Kent get voted out.  His waffling last week and obsession with merely outlasting Penner was annoying, and I am glad Penner outlasted him in the game.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #444 on: November 08, 2012, 08:28:17 AM »
Absolutely.  Right up to that moment I wasn't sure WHO I wanted to see go.  After his "It's only 600 grand by the time Obama takes it" speech, I'm glad he got sent out.  Hey asshole:  They had taxes long before 2008.  Anyway, it almost seemed like there might have been a possibility that Jeff could've been willing to work with Jonathan if he stayed.  I'd have been happy with seeing Pete OR Jeff go, really.  This TC may have surpassed the outrageously awesome 1st Phillip Sheppard TC.  Last night, you literally couldn't keep track of what alliance was what, who was getting called out, how ANYBODY was going to vote, or anything.  What a glorious clusterfuck.

That said, WTF is up with Penner?  First, he pulls off a ridiculously AWESOME upset at the immunity challenge, blowing EVERYBODY'S plans, then casts the sole vote for Abi?  What the hell?

And in usual fashion, whenever someone concocts a plan (Lisa's plan to blindside Malcom), why is it that the person who was told is COMPLETELY 100% INCAPABLE of not running their mouth immediately.  Pete immediately went to Malcolm, unsurprisingly.  I just don't get it.  If he thought it was a solid plan, why say anything?  Maybe he didn't agree with Lisa, I don't know.  Last night was kinda confusing.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #445 on: November 08, 2012, 08:32:36 AM »
Now, THAT was an entertaining tribal council! :tup :tup

While I would have enjoyed Pete going, I liked seeing Kent get voted out.  His waffling last week and obsession with merely outlasting Penner was annoying, and I am glad Penner outlasted him in the game.

Exactly that.

I actually like Penner, and he's a smart and reasonable player, and the only thing people seem to have against him is that he's a returning player, which isn't an issue to me. I think I would have preferred Pete to go, but I had no problem with the result anyway.

And what a hell of a tribal that was! Everything was out in the open, and totally crazy. I'm glad Malcolm survived, and revealing that he had the idol, then not playing it was a great (and ballsy) strategy to avoid getting any votes while still holding onto the idol, but I hope it doesn't bite him in the ass in future. He's my favourite player in the game.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #446 on: November 08, 2012, 08:56:08 AM »
I want to see Malcolm, Denise, Penner or (despite her big mouth last night) Lisa win.  I would have said Skupin, too, but after he stupidly stuck with an alliance last night, an alliance that has openly had no use for him, he deserves to lose.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #447 on: November 08, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »
And I agree about Malcolm and the idol.  It is gonna make it hard to vote for a few tribals since they never know if he'll play it or not.

Abi's idol is pointless, as I pretty much figure she is a lock for the final three since she is a miserable twat and everyone knows she won't get any votes.  If nothing else, I hope RC lays into her big time at that final tribal.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #448 on: November 08, 2012, 09:04:40 AM »
Yep, those 4 would all be my choices to win too.
They've all played relatively honest games so far, and they're all very likable people, and aside from Lisa, have a pretty good balance of the physical game and the social game.
Lisa surprised me this episode with her strategy, and as Malcolm is my favourite I wasn't happy about that, but I still like her. And if she makes it to the final 3, her secret is coming out. That should be interesting. :lol

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #449 on: November 08, 2012, 09:05:32 AM »
I REALLY hope that Pete's treachery in framing RC with the discovery of the immunity idol comes out at some point.

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #450 on: November 08, 2012, 12:37:38 PM »
Just finished last nights episode... Wow, what a tribal council. I was happy to see Jeff Kent take it in the ass, although I would have been just as happy if it had been Peter.

It definitely feels like at this point in the game, relative to past seasons, there are no strong alliances (which has made for a couple really entertaining tribals). I'm hoping Penner, Denise, or Malcolm can win it all, although I don't dislike Skupin either. After last night, I'm not like Lisa all that much.
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
« Reply #451 on: November 14, 2012, 09:51:04 PM »
Good stuff again tonight! Glad to see Mike flip and take the numbers advantage away from Abbi and Peter, but a little disappointed that Lisa didn't also vote with him.  However, she appears to be having a legitimate internal struggle with it all, so I guess she just wasn't mentally prepared to turn yet.  And with eight left, most of the players are pretty likable, except for the obvious two and Carter.  And not that Carter isn't likable; he just hasn't done enough to be as likable as Lisa, Penner, Malcolm, Mike or Denise.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #452 on: November 15, 2012, 06:29:52 AM »
I swear, if they do not get rid of Abi soon, I'm liable to break something.  She is like that itch you get square in the center of the bottom of your foot, while you're driving.  You can't do anything about it and it will annoy you mercilessly.  Yeah, it goes away eventually, but for now, it will torture you without end.

Also, Lisa seems to be a big fan of Survivor.  She of all people should know that loyalty will not win you the million dollars.  Not going to happen.  Abi wasn't very nice to her last night, so why in the HELL would she want to continue to stick with her and the others?  I get the internal struggle that "But, I gave them my word!"  Hello???  You say you're a fan of Survivor, but have you ever even watched it?  Peoples' word means precisely DICK on Survivor.

I AM glad to see that Mike flipped.  I really don't want to see Penner go.  The more I see of him, the more I like him.  The whole conversation with Lisa last night about the expectations she's always had to bow to?  Excellent groundwork for swaying her to their side.  It was almost like he was looking right into her soul.  Kinda cool.  Hopefully she will give up the loyalty to the others and come over.  But if not, hopefully Mike stays on their side.  Penner's strategy on the reward challenge was excellent.  It helped them out in a big way.

Offline bobs23

• human mic stand
  • EZBoard Elder
« Reply #453 on: November 15, 2012, 08:14:50 AM »
The tribal awesomness will continue. Next weeks will be even better than this weeks. Of note, as good as this season is I feel next season will be even better.

Offline Sir GuitarCozmo

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Kelly Clarkson BEEFS
« Reply #454 on: November 15, 2012, 08:20:30 AM »
Sweet.  Phillippines again next season, if the trend continues.