Author Topic: The Periphery Thread  (Read 204781 times)

Offline pain of occupation

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF Official Thread Killer
Re: The Periphery Thread
« Reply #560 on: August 02, 2012, 01:11:33 PM »
This album has managed to age incredibly well for me

hehe. this album's still in size zero diapers!

Offline Cable

« Reply #561 on: August 02, 2012, 07:41:45 PM »
This album has managed to age incredibly well for me

hehe. this album's still in size zero diapers!

Agreed. Although it may have been played by some many times, it is not officially a month old.
---

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #562 on: August 02, 2012, 08:31:25 PM »
I guess I should have added a "so far" on the end of that statement. You guys knew what I meant. I predict it will end up aging well over time, though.
Where would YOU be without prog?!
I'd be standing somewhere with dignity, respect, and bitches.
When Mike and Mob Unite, featuring the hit A Lawsuit in Lies

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #563 on: August 02, 2012, 11:54:29 PM »
nah, you justified it with your "I honestly don't ever remember a single album aging as good as this one has one month after its release"...i just found it chuckle worthy was all.  :smiley:

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #564 on: August 03, 2012, 10:25:42 AM »
Well, its rather interesting. Usually after a month, an album doesn't remain as fresh as when you first heard it. In addition to that, the new album is quite long and has many songs, which sometimes can affect how much people like the album since there is a lot of material to digest. My point was that the Periphery CD has done particularly well in keeping my interest throughout the 14-track album as well as staying very fresh as to where each listen for me feels like the first again. Its a fantastic album in that right.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #565 on: August 03, 2012, 10:41:33 AM »
It really bothers me that this album has lower score than the first on sputnikmusic. No offense regarding the first album (which I still love), but it just goes to show how many people are willing to spend their time downrating something they haven't even heard. I can't believe how many people do that. I don't expect everyone to like all music out there, but people who spend more time hating on some bands and artists rather than appreciating what they like, that really bothers me.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #566 on: August 03, 2012, 10:42:19 AM »
P2 > P1

its an upgrade on all levels

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #567 on: August 03, 2012, 10:49:55 AM »
Yes, I agree.. that's one part of why it bothers me that people hate the band so much, without really giving them a chance.

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #568 on: August 03, 2012, 11:41:13 AM »
@ ResultsMayVary:

ya, you totally have a point...im sure most of us music lovers on this forum devour the fuck outta new albums that we like (or expect to like) and easily have 60 listens in by the time a month goes by for many of the bands we follow. by the time one gets to that many spins, the pace may start to slow, but if an album has 'aged well' in that month, as periphery II has for you, the pace might continue for some time (and one realizes he might have another all time favorites type album, bumping something else from his list).

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #569 on: August 03, 2012, 04:07:27 PM »
Actually I still prefer P1. It may change over time but the first album feels more raw (in a good way) to me. P2 is not far behind though.

Offline Jaq

• Favorite song by Europe: Carrie.
« Reply #570 on: August 03, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
I'm going to be contrary here.

Don't get me wrong, I like it, it's a great album, but-I simply like the debut better. I'm not a fan of the ambient interludes or extended endings-they feel like they should be separate tracks, rather than used to extend a four minute song to six minutes-and at 14 songs, it just feels too long. It may not help that I listen to a TON of djent, and I'm a little burned out on the Meshuggah riffs, ambient interludes, and the general sense of-I dunno, sameness that you get from the subgenre. If I had a criticism of the first album, it was that the last third or so, minus Racecar, kind of blended together. A whole LOT of this album blends together that way. It's by no means a disappointment-it IS a great album-but it's nowhere near the top of my year end to date list.
The bones of beasts and the bones of kings become dust in the wake of the hymn.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #571 on: August 04, 2012, 03:20:27 PM »
not sure what youre trying to say.
so instead of having every interlude at the end of the songs like the first album, epoch being its own track is what turns you off? or having them in the first place? but that wouldn't make sense since the first album also had them

Offline Jaq

« Reply #572 on: August 04, 2012, 04:08:23 PM »
I think the ambient interludes, if they have to exist, need to be their own track; Ragnarok, for example, is a four minute long song with a two minute long, unrelated ambient interlude tacked onto the end. Personally I think the entire album would be improved by a little editing from one end to the other just to tighten it up, from my point of view.
Mighty kingdoms rise, but they all will fall, no more than a breath on the wind.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #573 on: August 04, 2012, 04:15:26 PM »
I think the ambient interludes, if they have to exist, need to be their own track; Ragnarok, for example, is a four minute long song with a two minute long, unrelated ambient interlude tacked onto the end. Personally I think the entire album would be improved by a little editing from one end to the other just to tighten it up, from my point of view.
The Periphery guys have stated multiple times that the interludes serve as a way to continue the flow of the album, since they write/record the albums in order for people to listen to the entire album, not the individual songs. The reason why they aren't separate tracks is because they use the interludes at the end of the songs the same way live in order for them to change guitars, etc. between separate songs in their live set (not to mention they would end up having 25+ tracks if the interludes weren't separate, which is quite ridiculous).

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #574 on: August 04, 2012, 06:24:38 PM »
the beauty of the interludes at the end of the track is that the 'next track' button is always available to press

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #575 on: August 04, 2012, 08:09:12 PM »
the beauty of the interludes at the end of the track is that the 'next track' button is always available to press
Bingo. Great solution. :tup

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #576 on: August 04, 2012, 08:36:37 PM »
It really bothers me that this album has lower score than the first on sputnikmusic. No offense regarding the first album (which I still love), but it just goes to show how many people are willing to spend their time downrating something they haven't even heard. I can't believe how many people do that. I don't expect everyone to like all music out there, but people who spend more time hating on some bands and artists rather than appreciating what they like, that really bothers me.

Well, you can blame sputnik for that, with the "objectivity" bullshit and all. You're not objective if you don't give any albums low scores, so in that way the site encourages people to go and downvote stuff they haven't really even listened to.

Sputnik is a pretty terrible place anyway.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #577 on: August 05, 2012, 02:48:13 AM »
I know what you mean. :D I think I'm at ~78-80% objectivity or something.

Offline Jaq

« Reply #578 on: August 05, 2012, 07:42:55 AM »
Bingo. Great solution. :tup

Kind of destroys the notion, though, that they're there to make the CD flow better as one piece of music.  :lol That's the only real problem I have; if I have to hit the skip button constantly, the album loses its flow. I get the idea, but the interludes feel tacked on, almost constantly, to me.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #579 on: August 05, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
Just admit you don't like Ambiance.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Offline Jaq

« Reply #580 on: August 06, 2012, 09:55:44 AM »
Erm...no? I love the ambient second disc that Uneven Structure put out with Februus. I like it in moderation as an interlude in the middle of a song. I just don't think Periphery utilizes them well in context of their songs, because in all honesty, they all sound like they wrote a 15 minute long ambient piece and then spread it randomly through the album.

Trust me, if I didn't like ambient pieces, I wouldn't have half the djent I have on my playlist. 

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #581 on: August 06, 2012, 01:34:24 PM »
Erm...no? I love the ambient second disc that Uneven Structure put out with Februus. I like it in moderation as an interlude in the middle of a song. I just don't think Periphery utilizes them well in context of their songs, because in all honesty, they all sound like they wrote a 15 minute long ambient piece and then spread it randomly through the album.

Trust me, if I didn't like ambient pieces, I wouldn't have half the djent I have on my playlist.

I was just messin. I get what you mean, I thought it was cool to include them. Reminds me of Mudvaynes self-titled where they did the same thing on a couple of songs, with them I wish they'd extend them into actual.songs because they have a cool vibe.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #582 on: August 08, 2012, 08:48:57 AM »
I like the interludes when listening to the album as a whole but if I just pick certain songs to listen to, I do end up skipping it sometimes.

This album has def. aged well so far. Still feels fresh after a month or so and I probably listened to it 15-20 times as a whole. I haven't listened to it in a few days and I'm dying to right now but I got a long 10 hour flight on Friday and this will def. be on my playlist  :tup

Offline Gadough

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #583 on: August 12, 2012, 11:45:15 AM »
Me with Spencer at Summer Slaughter in Dallas.

Gadough isn't Hitler. He's much, much worse.

Offline Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #584 on: August 12, 2012, 11:49:55 AM »
He has the most epic beard.

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #585 on: August 12, 2012, 12:11:26 PM »
I noticed P2 is so good as an album. Like its meant to be listened to that way.

Offline adace

« Reply #586 on: August 13, 2012, 11:17:02 PM »

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #587 on: August 14, 2012, 04:16:24 AM »
Dear God.  :rollin

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #588 on: August 14, 2012, 08:13:24 PM »

Offline JRundquist

• That Drummer Guy
« Reply #589 on: August 14, 2012, 10:01:04 PM »
I can't wait to see/interview these guys on Friday. it's been way too long since the first time I saw them opening for Fair To Midland back in March of last year.
That Drummer Guy's Reviews, Interviews, Playlists, Radio Shows, & Social Media:
https://www.thatdrummerguy.com

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #590 on: August 15, 2012, 01:21:44 PM »
I saw them last night in Cleveland. They were very, very, very good and Spencer was on point the entire night.

SPOILERS

The setlist was:

Zyglrox
Make Total Destroy
Facepalm Mute
Icarus Lives!
The Walk
Ragnarok

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #591 on: August 15, 2012, 02:13:13 PM »
I would like to see them headline a show.

Offline chrisbDTM

• DT.net Member
« Reply #592 on: August 15, 2012, 02:16:00 PM »

do you live in the US? they came around last fall on the frak the gods headlining tour

Offline Ben_Jamin

« Reply #593 on: August 15, 2012, 02:19:41 PM »

do you live in the US? they came around last fall on the frak the gods headlining tour

Yeah but I couldn't go.

Offline ResultsMayVary

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Go Buckeyes!
« Reply #594 on: August 15, 2012, 03:41:25 PM »
I asked Mark last night if they were going to do a headlining tour soon and he said they were trying to plan one either before the end of the year or at the beginning of next year since the Mayhem Cruise thing was cancelled.