Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 436665 times)

Offline jammindude

Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #1820 on: August 05, 2012, 10:05:34 AM »
I really LOVE Lwaxana Troi.    Maybe just because I feel like there aren't enough women like her in the world. 

Ok, maybe she talks a bit too much...but I really like her carefree outlook on life and conventional attitudes...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1821 on: August 06, 2012, 08:31:38 AM »
She reminds me of my mother in law and that's not a good thing. :lol
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1822 on: August 06, 2012, 01:29:06 PM »
Watching DS9 just now, who shows up? Lwaxana Troi

-Shivers-

---

So I decided to start up on Voyager where I left off over a year ago. Near the end of S4.  Woot
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline MajorMatt

• DT.net Member
« Reply #1823 on: August 06, 2012, 01:36:51 PM »
I'm about half way through S2 of DS9 now, can't believe I brushed this off for so many years, I'm really enjoying it.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1824 on: August 06, 2012, 07:52:37 PM »
It only gets better.  :biggrin:

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1825 on: August 07, 2012, 09:59:34 PM »
Holy shit. I had forgotten how much hotter mirror Dax is. Fuuuck.

"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1826 on: August 07, 2012, 10:02:42 PM »

Which one? I must be the only guy who was WAY more attracted to the short haired Dax than the super tall one. (I know both of their names, but can't figure out how to properly spell them, and don't feel like looking it up)

Speaking of which, I must be the only guy who likes Lwaxana Troi. Sure she had some bad episodes, but I like her as a character. And she had some real great moments, like talking about being lonely a few weeks after Gene Roddenbery died.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1827 on: August 07, 2012, 10:05:50 PM »
Same here actually. Ezri Dax (Nicole de Boer) was crazy attractive, more so than Jadzia, despite Ezri being a whiner.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #1828 on: August 07, 2012, 10:07:32 PM »
Same here actually. Ezri Dax (Nicole due Boer) was crazy attractive, more so than Jadzia, despite Ezri being a whiner.

rumborak

So were you talking about mirror Ezri or mirror Jadzia?

Also, I do think doing the multiple Mirror episodes was a fault of DS9. It was neat when ToS did it, cause it was a freak accident. And Enterprise doing it was cool because it never crossed over. But DS9 made it like the two universes could intertwine any time anyone wanted, which has HORRIBLE ramifications for the Star Trek universe.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1829 on: August 07, 2012, 10:13:40 PM »

I didn't care for the mirror universe episodes in DS9, so I don't really have any recollection of her.  She certainly looks hot there, though.

Not surprising, really.  One thing Star Trek always did was take really hot chicks, and dull their looks for their character.  There would always be instances later where they'd alter the character for one reason or another, and they'd look surprisingly hot.  Seven as Anika Hansen is the best example.  Dax there.  Kes when they made her human.  T'Pol as the slave in their mirror universe.  Hoshi in that same universe (holy fuck!).  Wouldn't surprise me if there weren't instances where they made Kira look good, and I never dug her at all. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1830 on: August 08, 2012, 01:22:41 AM »
Same here actually. Ezri Dax (Nicole de Boer) was crazy attractive, more so than Jadzia, despite Ezri being a whiner.

rumborak

Ezri was cute, but I'll take Jadzia anyday. And the whining certainly didn't help. :lol
Speaking of Jadzia, I saw an episode of Becker yesterday randomly on TV, which as you all know had Terry Farrell in it. It's nice seeing her out of the Starfleet potato sack.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1831 on: August 09, 2012, 05:14:15 PM »
Any Bridge Officer: Captain, there's an unauthorized shuttle launch in progress.
Any Captain:  STOP THEM!
Bridge Officer: Sorry.  It's too late.

Has there ever been anybody who tried and failed to steal a shuttlecraft?  Ever?  Shuttlecraft theft was a commonplace occurrence in every series.  Data or Seven you could understand, since they're superhuman.  But anybody could do it, any time.  They had strangers come aboard and steal their shit.  Children stole shuttlecraft!   At this point, every time it happens it's just laughable.

Another thing I saw mentioned elsewhere is that Voyager making a straight path the Alpha quadrant would have been twice the distance as heading towards the Gamma quadrant and the Bajoran wormhole.  Granted, they would have flown right the fuck into a war they had no idea was happening, but it still would have been the right option.  They left on their mission from DS9, after all, so they knew the thing was there. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1832 on: August 09, 2012, 05:36:44 PM »
Any Bridge Officer: Captain, there's an unauthorized shuttle launch in progress.

Has there ever been anybody who tried and failed to steal a shuttlecraft?  Ever?  Shuttlecraft theft was a commonplace occurrence in every series.  Data or Seven you could understand, since they're superhuman.  But anybody could do it, any time.  They had strangers come aboard and steal their shit.  Children stole shuttlecraft!   At this point, every time it happens it's just laughable.

Another thing I saw mentioned elsewhere is that Voyager making a straight path the Alpha quadrant would have been twice the distance as heading towards the Gamma quadrant and the Bajoran wormhole.  Granted, they would have flown right the fuck into a war they had no idea was happening, but it still would have been the right option.  They left on their mission from DS9, after all, so they knew the thing was there.

Totally agree on the Shuttlecraft deal. It also applies any time anyone wanted to lock someone out of a system. Anybody could lock anybody out at any time, usually in just a matter of seconds and very rarely could anyone get passed it.

And your thing about Voyager going toward the Bajoran worm hole.....well that is a damn fine point. However since it never crossed....well most peoples minds it seems, I'd say it's easy for the writers to not have considered it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1833 on: August 09, 2012, 08:00:30 PM »
You know, despite the awesomeness of the DS9 wormhole animation, the way they superimposed the appearing ships always looked lackluster. They just appear somewhere away from the mouth of the wormhole.

rumborak

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1834 on: August 09, 2012, 11:42:56 PM »

Based on the few times a map is shown on screen, the distance isn't that much shorter at all, and it would have cut maybe 5-10 years off their trip best case.
That may still sound like a good gain, but considering that their journey was estimated to be about 70 years at cruise speed, and the discovery of the wormhole was relatively new, and more of the trip would have been in completely uncharted territory (plus taken them into Dominion space, although I'm not sure they really knew much about that at the time they departed), it wouldn't have been the best option for the trip for the minimal potential gain. Plus with the discovery of the wormhole being so recent, they didn't know for a fact the wormhole would still be there and stable in 70 years.
Too much of a gamble for such a long trip imo.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1835 on: August 10, 2012, 09:50:20 AM »
According to my map, easily ten years.  Consider that they have to detour around the galactic center, as well.  It's mostly uncharted regardless of which way they go.  Now considering how many threats and how much trouble they ran into over their 7 years, knocking 10 years off of the trip increases their odds of survival tremendously. 

Because there were already people they knew in the Gamma Quadrant, it's probably more familiar to them than the route through the Delta Quadrant.  Also, I think they were already aware that The Borg originated from Delta. 

As for availability of the wormhole, they never mentioned any prospects of it going away, and they'd presumably studied it a fair amount before pronouncing it safe.  Also, Voyager seemed completely unaware of the existence of the Dominion at that point, so they wouldn't have been a deterrent.   
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1836 on: August 10, 2012, 10:03:51 AM »
According to a couple of different on screen maps I saw in a quick search earlier, it was more like 5-10 years at most, and charted space would extend a decent fraction of that based on some of the deep space missions they've mentioned (1/7 to 1/4), so they'd be making some kind of contact with Federation ships long before the full 70,000LY distance anyway, making it a much safer bet. The Gamma Quadrant wasn't charted at all at that point, so they would be entirely 100% blind and alone until they hit that wormhole.
All in all, it was the better option.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1837 on: August 10, 2012, 11:36:01 AM »
Depending on which map, it's 10k-15k LY shorter.  It also depends how much clearance you have to give to the Great Barrier.  The bigger issue is that they knew the Borg inhabited the Delta Quadrant.  Like I said, every year they were out there exposed them to more and more hazards.  Look at all the shit they went through on their 7 year trip.  Decreasing the amount of time necessary for the trip, and therefore the number of threats, should have been the priority.  Given an uncharted 60k LY or a barely charted 70k LY trek through Borg country, it's a no-brainer. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1838 on: August 10, 2012, 11:55:47 AM »
I disagree.

I think for at least the difference in distance, they would have had some kind of charts, enough to chart a moderately safe passage, and there would have been at least some Federation ships for the remainder of the trip from that point on. Then factor in that after decades, the Federation could have made advancements in warp technology, and been in radio contact with them much sooner than the full 70,000LY to help out in some way.
Considering Voyager was officially declared lost, had they gone for the wormhole, they would have been almost 100% guaranteed on their own until they hit the wormhole, because nobody knew they were lost in the DQ making the trip home.
And Voyager seemed to have very little info on the wormhole or probably the Gamma Quadrant. It would have been a gamble for them to head in the entirely wrong direction on the assumption this one wormhole was still going to be there in 60 years, since it was the only stable wormhole that they'd ever known to exist, and they didn't know anything about it. Had that not panned out, they just screwed themselves over by several decades by putting all of their eggs in one basket.

And either direction could have been Borg country. The Borg apparently had pretty big space in the DQ, big enough that they couldn't travel around it once they hit it on their direct AQ path, and as far as I recall, Voyager wouldn't have known where Borg space was exactly in advance anyway, since none of them had been there, so they couldn't have made an educated guess and let that influence their choice of travel from the start.

60K entirely alone in completely uncharted space vs 70K with charted space and potential help. The more I think about it, the more it's a no brainer for the AQ as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1839 on: August 10, 2012, 12:18:56 PM »
Holy christ you guys are nerds.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1840 on: August 10, 2012, 12:19:27 PM »
Shut up and pick a side. :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #1841 on: August 10, 2012, 12:26:26 PM »
I'll go with whoever gets me a sexy orion slave girl.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1842 on: August 10, 2012, 12:29:48 PM »

Here, have three from a terrible episode of Enterprise (assuming the pic shows up).

Offline Adami

« Reply #1843 on: August 10, 2012, 12:30:31 PM »
Blobs opinion on whatever nerdy crap you two are pointlessly arguing about is correct!
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1844 on: August 10, 2012, 12:32:05 PM »
I'll go with whoever gets me with this woman:

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1845 on: August 10, 2012, 12:32:43 PM »
Blobs opinion on whatever nerdy crap you two are pointlessly arguing about is correct!

YES, I HAVE BEEN VALIDATED!

And who ever said arguing on the internet wasn't worthwhile?

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1846 on: August 10, 2012, 01:46:18 PM »
I disagree.

I think for at least the difference in distance, they would have had some kind of charts, enough to chart a moderately safe passage, and there would have been at least some Federation ships for the remainder of the trip from that point on. Then factor in that after decades, the Federation could have made advancements in warp technology, and been in radio contact with them much sooner than the full 70,000LY to help out in some way.
Considering Voyager was officially declared lost, had they gone for the wormhole, they would have been almost 100% guaranteed on their own until they hit the wormhole, because nobody knew they were lost in the DQ making the trip home.
And Voyager seemed to have very little info on the wormhole or probably the Gamma Quadrant. It would have been a gamble for them to head in the entirely wrong direction on the assumption this one wormhole was still going to be there in 60 years, since it was the only stable wormhole that they'd ever known to exist, and they didn't know anything about it. Had that not panned out, they just screwed themselves over by several decades by putting all of their eggs in one basket.

And either direction could have been Borg country. The Borg apparently had pretty big space in the DQ, big enough that they couldn't travel around it once they hit it on their direct AQ path, and as far as I recall, Voyager wouldn't have known where Borg space was exactly in advance anyway, since none of them had been there, so they couldn't have made an educated guess and let that influence their choice of travel from the start.

60K entirely alone in completely uncharted space vs 70K with charted space and potential help. The more I think about it, the more it's a no brainer for the AQ as far as I'm concerned.
The Federation was probably much more active exploring the Gamma Quadrant than the Delta.  They had the wormhole to get there, and then there's that whole Borg situation again.  And since they were declared lost, it's not like the federation was already heading their direction anyway.  Honestly, they probably would have run into friendly ships more quickly in the Gamma quadrant.

As for the Borg in the Delta quadrant, Voyager knew where it was in relation to the Delta quadrant, and they were actually quite close to the Gamma quadrant.  They might not have known where the Borg were exactly, but looking at any map would tell you that heading South gives you a very, very high probability of finding them, and West a much lower one.  Ocampa, where they started, was at the outer edge at the one o'clock position.  Their direct route would have taken them through the very center of the quadrant.  The wormhole route would have had them outside of the delta quadrant very quickly.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1847 on: August 10, 2012, 09:23:49 PM »
Not to break up your galaxy quest here, but I'm on the 6th season of TNG and can only recall 2 episodes that I have seen so far that involve the holodeck malfunctioning. You got the one with Picard and the guys stuck in the Dixon hill novel, and the one I'm on now with Worf and the million Datas in the west. I don't count the Sherlock Holmes ones to be malfunctioning since they're not.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1848 on: August 12, 2012, 11:37:19 PM »
Not too sound geeky, but as a science geek I always found the whole Trill symbiont thing totally unbelievable. Why and how would a worm that lives in caves, and a humanoid species living on the surface, grow a symbiotic relationship with each other? Especially one that takes a difficult operation to perform.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #1849 on: August 12, 2012, 11:43:45 PM »
Not too sound geeky, but as a science geek I always found the whole Trill symbiont thing totally unbelievable. Why and how would a worm that lives in caves, and a humanoid species living on the surface, grow a symbiotic relationship with each other? Especially one that takes a difficult operation to perform.

rumborak

It's possible the surgery aspect of it only is modern and is the better way. Maybe the "worm" used to just slice its own way in or something.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1850 on: August 13, 2012, 08:42:45 AM »
Yeah, like the Ceti eel.  The ST universe is full of organisms that take over host bodies.  Hell, happens twice a season.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1851 on: August 13, 2012, 05:43:02 PM »
So now I'm watching Season 1 of DS9 and Season 6 of TNG at the same time since they run concurrently.

I have to say, the Quark/Odo dynamic is probably one of the best in any Star Trek ever.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1852 on: August 13, 2012, 06:04:38 PM »
I did a search and couldn't find this question.  I just saw Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan on cable again for the millionth time.  Love this movie BTW, but something has always bugged me.  This may seem like a stupid question but why do they call Kirstie Alley's character "Mr. Saavik"?  She clearly is not a man.  LOL.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline Adami

« Reply #1853 on: August 13, 2012, 06:06:54 PM »
I did a search and couldn't find this question.  I just saw Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan on cable again for the millionth time.  Love this movie BTW, but something has always bugged me.  This may seem like a stupid question but why do they call Kirstie Alley's character "Mr. Saavik"?  She clearly is not a man.  LOL.

I think it might be a navy or general military thing.

Edit: Looked it up, and I'm wrong. I dunno, either it's just a Roddenberry thing or it was Kirk's way of saying "listen, I'm not going to sleep with you so I might as well just consider you a man".
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1854 on: August 13, 2012, 06:09:07 PM »
That's how I always interpreted it.  Same as calling officers "Sir" whether they're male or female.