Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 436908 times)

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #1715 on: July 25, 2012, 04:57:05 PM »
The Voyager writers really seem like they've never seen a single episode of Star Trek aside from the ones they write.  Aside from beaming through shields, there are other things.  The other day, a major plot element involved stealing a crescent wrench from the holodeck.  Dude walked right out the door with it, and it turned up in his ship later.  No explanation for how/why that was possible.  The episode prior to that, Janeway is perfectly willing to hand over technology to the Hirogen.  After 4 years of steadfastly refusing to do so, to the point of fighting long wars over the matter, she's perfectly willing to fork it over now, eager, in fact, despite the fact that the Hirogen are some of the nastiest people they've come across. 

A little consistency really isn't too much to ask for.

The holodeck thing is interesting. It happens in TNG once in a great while too of holodeck things leaving the holodeck. I read a pretty good reason for this being that since the holodecks use the same technology as the replicator, that certain things....like a wrench in this case can actually be replicated and removed from the holodeck.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1716 on: July 26, 2012, 12:17:54 AM »
The Voyager writers really seem like they've never seen a single episode of Star Trek aside from the ones they write.  Aside from beaming through shields, there are other things.  The other day, a major plot element involved stealing a crescent wrench from the holodeck.  Dude walked right out the door with it, and it turned up in his ship later.  No explanation for how/why that was possible.  The episode prior to that, Janeway is perfectly willing to hand over technology to the Hirogen.  After 4 years of steadfastly refusing to do so, to the point of fighting long wars over the matter, she's perfectly willing to fork it over now, eager, in fact, despite the fact that the Hirogen are some of the nastiest people they've come across. 

A little consistency really isn't too much to ask for.

And yet you seem to have no problem with TOS, a show which has the most laughable consistency of any Trek series.
And TNG made the same error at least once or twice as well, in what I recall was an equally important flub. Been too long since I've seen it to name an episode, but I definitely remember it happening.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1717 on: July 26, 2012, 08:00:47 AM »
And yet you seem to have no problem with TOS, a show which has the most laughable consistency of any Trek series.
Nonsense.  I recognize plenty of problems with TOS.  I also don't "have a problem" with Voyager; I think it's a very good show.  No matter how many different times and ways that I say otherwise, you guys are just locked in on your opinion that I worship TOS and think everything else is shit. 

In this case, I'm merely pointing out that their writers, and definitely TNG's, quite often seem to take a piss.  As for comparisons between the two, as I've pointed out before, the TOS writers didn't have any established canon to worry about, nor did they see much future necessity for one.  They were just writing one-off episodes for a cheesy sci-fi show that was always a week away from cancellation.  TNG and VOY were both much more than that.  They knew what their show run was going to be, and they had every reason to take the past and the future into consideration in their writing; they just fumbled it from time to time. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1718 on: July 26, 2012, 10:36:43 PM »
So far, two TNG cast members (one of them also DS9) have been on the new show Perception on TNT. I'm equating the show to House/Bones/Monk kinda thing... not bad.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1719 on: July 26, 2012, 10:40:31 PM »
So far, two TNG cast members (one of them also DS9) have been on the new show Perception on TNT. I'm equating the show to House/Bones/Monk kinda thing... not bad.

Which ones? I assume Michael Dorn was one.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1720 on: July 26, 2012, 10:46:16 PM »
Ha nope. LeVar Burton and Armin Shimerman. Next week Cary Elwes yay!

Offline Adami

« Reply #1721 on: July 26, 2012, 10:47:18 PM »
Ha nope. LeVar Burton and Armin Shimerman. Next week Cary Elwes yay!

All three of those people are awesome.

And now for some reason I'm trying to imagine Cary Elwes as a Klingon.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1722 on: July 27, 2012, 06:59:02 PM »
I'm shocked....freakin SHOCKED!!!!

I went out this week looking for the brand new release of Star Trek: The Next Generation Season 1 on BluRay.

1st...Costco.  Figured they'd have a good price.

They didn't even order it to stock in their stores.

So...next stop Fry's.   

They "didn't get their new release shipment this week."   (by Friday?  You havn't received Tuesday's new releases by Friday?   Why isn't your manager chewing someone's ass on the phone???)

Next stop WalMart.   This is a last resort, because I hate WalMart...but you can't beat their prices.

The first two people I talked to....HAD NEVER EVEN HEARD OF THE SHOW!!!!  CAN YOU FREAKING BELIEVE THAT????  So they went to look in their computer...and the old DVD's were the only thing that was even in the system.   That's right, WalMart has not even bothered to CARRY the new STAR TREK release!   I'm not looking for some little out of the way, hole in the wall "cult" show....THIS IS FREAKIN STAR TREK!!!  One of the most popular TV shows of the last 30 FREAKIN YEARS!!!!

So I go to Fred Meyer....again, they didn't even order it.   That's right....they DIDN'T EVEN ORDER IT!!!

So I called Best Buy, and was informed that they sold out of their entire stock within an hour of getting it in.   (I'm not surprised...since no one else could even be bothered to STOCK IT!!!)

I really try to support brick and mortar, because I don't want to see it disappear...but if brick and mortar *does* go the way of the dinosaur???  It won't be because of online competition...it will be because of LAZINESS...pure and simple.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #1723 on: July 27, 2012, 07:39:21 PM »
You learned your lesson hopefully. Unless you're buying online, Best Buy is generally the place to go for DVDs.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1724 on: July 27, 2012, 07:59:18 PM »
The episode where the bitter old Kim went back to un-kill the Voyager crew was really good.  I generally don't like Kim episodes, but they did this one pretty well.  I thought Captain Geordi was needlessly silly, and Chakotay was a weird choice for his colleague, but still solid. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1725 on: July 27, 2012, 08:03:10 PM »
The episode where the bitter old Kim went back to un-kill the Voyager crew was really good.  I generally don't like Kim episodes, but they did this one pretty well.  I thought Captain Geordi was needlessly silly, and Chakotay was a weird choice for his colleague, but still solid.

I never mind them throwing in former ST people even pointlessly.................with one obvious exception, so I was cool with Captain Geordi.

And yea it was a good episode. It seems that Garret Wang was way better at playing older cynical Kim than he was young enthusiastic Kim.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1726 on: July 27, 2012, 11:20:53 PM »
It seems that Garret Wang was way better at playing older cynical Kim than he was young enthusiastic Kim.
:lol Indeed. 

While his 90 seconds of airtime seemed like a waste, my bigger problem is the unlikely outcome where Geordi becomes captain of a capital ship.  It's kind of a running gag that anybody who appears on the show becomes a captain or an admiral in future timelines, just because it's a neat cameo. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1727 on: July 27, 2012, 11:24:12 PM »
It seems that Garret Wang was way better at playing older cynical Kim than he was young enthusiastic Kim.
:lol Indeed. 

While his 90 seconds of airtime seemed like a waste, my bigger problem is the unlikely outcome where Geordi becomes captain of a capital ship.  It's kind of a running gag that anybody who appears on the show becomes a captain or an admiral in future timelines, just because it's a neat cameo.

Well we saw Captain Riker, but only in an alternate future. However Captain Riker makes tons of sense since he was offered I think like 5-6 ships, and if I remember correctly ended up taking one of those after Nemesis.

We saw Captain Crusher but once again also in an alternate future and she was the captain of a medical supply ship which didn't seem too unlikely.

Captain Data only showed up in the comics leading up to the new movie.

I think that's it right? We never saw Captain Worf or Captain Barclay or Captain Wesley or Captain Yar.

Although Captain Troy would have been hilarious.

I also don't remember anyone from DS9 becoming a Captain or Admiral or anything outside of Sisko.

And from DS9 we had Admiral Janeway in Nemesis, but that part was originally supposed to go to 7 or 9, and I doubt they would have made her an Admiral.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #1728 on: July 27, 2012, 11:32:07 PM »
So I'm watching the halfway decent episode where the Romulans brainwash Geordi to kill a Klingon dude but he has no idea.

So, there's a scene where Geordi, without knowingly doing so, beams some weapons down to a planet and hides his trail. So they're trying to trace the signal after they found the station he used to find out who did it.

And I wonder myself.............are they too advanced for fingerprints? I mean all they'd have to do is dust the panel to see Geordi's very recent prints on it. And I'm sure with their amazing tech they could tell from those prints who was the last guy to do it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1729 on: July 27, 2012, 11:41:08 PM »
Worf was captain of Defiant on numerous occasions, even if they never gave him the rank.  You also had Captains Spock, Sulu and Scott, along with Admirals Kirk, McCoy, Picard and Janeway. 

And considering how annoying fingerprints are on my Android phone, it wouldn't surprise me if they spent gazillions inventing smudge proof consoles. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1730 on: July 27, 2012, 11:43:00 PM »
Worf was captain of Defiant on numerous occasions, even if they never gave him the rank.  You also had Captains Spock, Sulu and Scott, along with Admirals Kirk, McCoy, Picard and Janeway. 

And considering how annoying fingerprints are on my Android phone, it wouldn't surprise me if they spent gazillions inventing smudge proof consoles.

Taking charge of a battle ship isn't the same as what you were talking about earlier.

As far as Spock, Sulu and Scott go, well the rest make sense except for Scott, he never should have been a captain. Kirk being an Admiral makes perfect sense, as does Picard and Janeway, but not McCoy.

So really, Captain Scott and Admiral McCoy are the only ones who don't make sense. I was perfectly fine with Captain Visor.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1731 on: July 28, 2012, 04:30:47 PM »
In terms of cameos I thought only Brent Spiner felt shoe horned into ENT.
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Adami

« Reply #1732 on: July 28, 2012, 04:32:01 PM »
In terms of cameos I thought only Brent Spiner felt shoe horned into ENT.

Oh hell yes. I think he did a good job, but he REALLY wasn't necessary. The admins or adjunts or whatever story line was fine, but it really didn't require the main guy to be a Soong, nor did it need the klingon storyline.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1733 on: July 28, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »
Especially because one was just watching Lore without makeup and 20 years later.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #1734 on: July 28, 2012, 05:43:28 PM »
Especially because one was just watching Lore without makeup and 20 years later.

rumborak

Meh. Lore had 0 compassion and was totally over the top. Brent Spiner wasn't nearly over the top at whoever Soong, and he had a real sense of compassion, but he just got lost in his ambition.

And as I said to Mr. Simpson earlier, Lore would have been way better if he were also emotionless and used cold logic to calculate that organic life or humanoid life needed to be destroyed.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Adami

« Reply #1735 on: July 28, 2012, 06:38:23 PM »
So I am on Season 5 of TNG and I started asking myself................can't they create control panels that don't keep exploding and kill whoever is working on them?

Also, after they explode and kill someone, why can someone else use it right away?
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1736 on: July 28, 2012, 08:09:57 PM »
Well, you see it's all very simple really.  Just turn around, close your eyes and don't mind this phaser in my hand...

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1737 on: July 28, 2012, 09:27:51 PM »
I think it was a punishment system. Whenever some major damage was done to the ship, the computer established the most responsible person on the bridge and exploded a charge in his or her console. The replacement person was innocent and was thus free to use the console.

rumborak

Offline Adami

« Reply #1738 on: July 28, 2012, 09:31:45 PM »
I think it was a punishment system. Whenever some major damage was done to the ship, the computer established the most responsible person on the bridge and exploded a charge in his or her console. The replacement person was innocent and was thus free to use the console.

rumborak

I think it was the universe's karmatic response to the TNG changing the uniform color scheme. No longer could the universe just kill off red shirts, as red shirts were now indispensable for the most part, so they decided to kill off anyone sitting at a control station at random to make up for it.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1739 on: July 28, 2012, 11:47:09 PM »
So I am on Season 5 of TNG and I started asking myself................can't they create control panels that don't keep exploding and kill whoever is working on them?

Also, after they explode and kill someone, why can someone else use it right away?

The rule of Star Trek is that it's almost never a hardware problem. It's just a temporary software glitch.
Did the deflector dish get ripped clean off by an alien entity? No problem, it will just take Geordi a few minutes of pressing buttons in engineering to fix it. Did you just lose decks 8-15 from massive explosive decompression after shield failure? Not to worry, just give us 2 minutes of pressing buttons, and it's fixed!

Offline Adami

« Reply #1740 on: July 28, 2012, 11:51:39 PM »

The rule of Star Trek is that it's almost never a hardware problem. It's just a temporary software glitch.
Did the deflector dish get ripped clean off by an alien entity? No problem, it will just take Geordi a few minutes of pressing buttons in engineering to fix it. Did you just lose decks 8-15 from massive explosive decompression after shield failure? Not to worry, just give us 2 minutes of pressing buttons, and it's fixed!

Well considering he's rerouting power through the phase inverter and bypassing power through the secondary couplings only to adjust the matter/antimatter flow converter, it makes sense dude.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1741 on: July 29, 2012, 10:56:13 AM »
Redshirts took the brunt of it in TNG.  While all that security dudes that weren't named Worf did just fine, lots of unnamed flight controllers got it, including a few by those exploding consoles.  Plus plenty of other captains and admirals all wearing red.  Conspiracy ranked up there with some of the TOS episodes for killing redshirts. 
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1742 on: July 29, 2012, 10:59:46 AM »
So today is Will Wheaton's 40th birthday. wtf.
Obviously since it's been 25 years since TNG started, this should have been obvious that he was around that age, but I'd just never really thought about it, and was thinking he was more like 30 (as I said, I'd just never thought about it, as obvious as it is).

He will always be a Wesley to me.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1743 on: July 29, 2012, 11:00:34 AM »
I know Conspiracy blew up a ship or two, but even with that I'm pretty sure the only red shirts that WE SAW that were killed were like....2 or 3 tops.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1744 on: July 29, 2012, 11:29:05 AM »
Rear Admiral Savar and Vice Admiral Aaron, as well as Dexter Remmick, along with Captains Scott and Keel.  Presumably Admiral Quinn lived. 
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1745 on: July 29, 2012, 11:30:16 AM »
Rear Admiral Savar and Vice Admiral Aaron, as well as Dexter Remmick, along with Captains Scott and Keel.  Presumably Admiral Quinn lived.

I honestly don't know the names. But if you're talking about the captains at the worm dinner, then I'm pretty sure only the man queen guy died and the rest were just stunned and were okay afterwards.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Online El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1746 on: July 29, 2012, 11:48:22 AM »

I honestly don't know the names. But if you're talking about the captains at the worm dinner, then I'm pretty sure only the man queen guy died and the rest were just stunned and were okay afterwards.
They were admirals, and Crusher was explicit that phasers had to be set to kill, as stun was ineffective.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1747 on: July 29, 2012, 11:52:41 AM »

They were admirals, and Crusher was explicit that phasers had to be set to kill, as stun was ineffective.

Yea but the kill setting stunned them I think, not kill them.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1748 on: July 29, 2012, 11:57:22 AM »

I don't remember the episode too well, but if stun did nothing, it stands to reason that "kill" isn't going to kill them. Just because the setting is called kill, doesn't mean it affects every being/creature in the exact same way.
And it's TNG. I think it's safe to assume everyone lived happily ever after.

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1749 on: July 29, 2012, 12:05:14 PM »

I don't remember the episode too well, but if stun did nothing, it stands to reason that "kill" isn't going to kill them. Just because the setting is called kill, doesn't mean it affects every being/creature in the exact same way.
And it's TNG. I think it's safe to assume everyone lived happily ever after.
C'mon, this is the episode where they blew a guy's head up with their phasers.

I think, in this instance, it might be possible that Picard and Riker went all kill-happy with their phasers.