Author Topic: All Star Trek Discussion Thread ("Into Darkness" trailer released)  (Read 437555 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: All Star Trek Discussion Thread
« Reply #1925 on: September 07, 2012, 12:14:57 PM »
Awesome, they definitely chose one of the most iconic episodes for the away mission.
That episode was also the basis for the conversation in Galaxy Quest:

"Look around you, are there any materials you could use to build a rudimentary lathe?"
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1926 on: September 07, 2012, 12:20:54 PM »
How do you get it to be interactive?  When I click on it, it just goes to a Search page for Star Trek.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1927 on: September 07, 2012, 12:21:34 PM »
How do you get it to be interactive?  When I click on it, it just goes to a Search page for Star Trek.

Click on the turbolift...
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1928 on: September 07, 2012, 12:21:38 PM »
There's certain items that you can click on.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1929 on: September 07, 2012, 12:27:29 PM »
Once again, I am forced to profess my undying love for Google.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1930 on: September 07, 2012, 12:48:05 PM »
Argh.  Figures that none of the interactive stuff works in Internet Explorer.  In Google Chrome, it obviously all works flawlessly.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1931 on: September 07, 2012, 01:28:08 PM »
Argh.  Figures that none of the interactive stuff works in Internet Explorer.  In Google Chrome, it obviously all works flawlessly.
If you have an iGoogle start page,  you have to log out.  The only way to get the interactivity for me was to log out and go to the generic www.google.com page.  That shows you the full sized doodle, as opposed to the small one.
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #1932 on: September 10, 2012, 04:21:31 PM »
So it seems that the new Star Trek movie is called Star Trek Into Darkness.

Not sure if it's Star Trek Into Darkness or Star Trek: Into Darkness.

Either way I do not think it is a very good title.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1933 on: September 10, 2012, 11:46:02 PM »
That's a terrible name. It doesn't even flow to say it.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1934 on: September 10, 2012, 11:50:03 PM »

source?
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline Adami

« Reply #1935 on: September 10, 2012, 11:57:51 PM »

source?

Here's one, https://insidemovies.ew.com/2012/09/10/star-trek-into-the-darkness-sequel-title/

Or you can go to JJ Abrams official site about it at www.lens-flair.com/new-star-trek-into-darkness
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline Dream Team

« Reply #1936 on: September 11, 2012, 07:18:50 AM »
My wife for some godawful reason loved the Star Trek 2009 movie (she's not nearly the trekkie I am though, so it's probably the Chris Pine effect), so I'm thinking of boycotting the new movie just to see what kind of reaction I get out of her. I want to use El Barto's excellently worded crtitique of the first movie as my defense  :lol.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1937 on: September 11, 2012, 04:00:22 PM »
Some titles sound weird at first but they grow to make sense after seeing the film / listening to the album.

As long as I enjoy the film - I don't really mind what it's called.

Although I was kinda hoping for simply :

" Where No One Has Gone Before "

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1938 on: September 11, 2012, 04:03:27 PM »
"Will the movie be a Star Trek take on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness?" asks Nathan Birch at Uproxx. It's not as crazy as it might sound. The 1902 novella tells the story of "a crew sailing a boat into unsettling new territory in search of a man who's gone dangerously mad with power and set himself up as a God." If you update the setting from Africa to space, and change the main character to Captain Kirk, it "pretty much sounds like a Star Trek plot already."

Gary Mitchell ? ? ?

This is a great theory for the title.

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1939 on: September 11, 2012, 04:13:09 PM »
I don't really have any negative reaction to the title.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: September 11, 2012, 04:16:04 PM »
Nor do i.

It's interesting. It's better than something like

" Star Trek 2 : To Boldly Go "

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1941 on: September 11, 2012, 04:47:18 PM »
"Will the movie be a Star Trek take on Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness?" asks Nathan Birch at Uproxx. It's not as crazy as it might sound. The 1902 novella tells the story of "a crew sailing a boat into unsettling new territory in search of a man who's gone dangerously mad with power and set himself up as a God." If you update the setting from Africa to space, and change the main character to Captain Kirk, it "pretty much sounds like a Star Trek plot already."

Gary Mitchell ? ? ?

This is a great theory for the title.
That is an interesting theory.  Though, I don't really like it much as a plot device for Gary Mitchell.  I can easily see how they'd make it work, but part of what made WNMHGB a good episode is that they were watching him change and had to decide how to handle it.  If they just want a rogue captain off causing trouble, it could just as easily be Captains Tracy or Garth. 
Argument, the presentation of reasonable views, never makes headway against conviction, and conviction takes no part in argument because it knows.
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1942 on: September 18, 2012, 08:41:35 PM »
So I realized how interesting the idea was of having a Romulan officer on the Defiant full time. They introduced the initial Romulan as someone who had a permanent purpose to maintain.

However after the two parter she was gone and no Romulan came back. I think having a Romulan officer on the Defiant during all missions would have made an excellent dynamic that they sadly passed up.

Imagine Worf and a Romulan having to serve together. Would have been amazing.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline The King in Crimson

• Stuck in a glass dome since 1914!
  • Mr. Sandman, Give Me A Dream
« Reply #1943 on: September 18, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »
I assume she just got killed or something, but yeah, missed opportunity there.

I also like how the Defiant's very first order of business is to get the shit kicked out of it.  :lol

Offline Adami

« Reply #1944 on: September 18, 2012, 09:12:44 PM »
I assume she just got killed or something, but yeah, missed opportunity there.

I also like how the Defiant's very first order of business is to get the shit kicked out of it.  :lol

Nope she lived. Just never came back.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1945 on: September 18, 2012, 10:14:01 PM »
It is a rather awkward unexplained element in DS9.  Maybe the Federation decided to fess up that they  knew all the secrets already, so a guard was a complete waste for the loaner.  :p. Maybe the Romulans installed a bomb set to detonate on any tampering.

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1946 on: September 18, 2012, 10:42:57 PM »
Huh.  I forgot all about her.  There was another Romulan chick that had a run-in with Kira. Something about arming a medical otupost, IIRC.  Was that the same one?
E.F. Benson

Offline Adami

« Reply #1947 on: September 18, 2012, 10:56:26 PM »
Huh.  I forgot all about her.  There was another Romulan chick that had a run-in with Kira. Something about arming a medical otupost, IIRC.  Was that the same one?

I doubt it. The Romulan from the defiant went on to play seska on voyager.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1948 on: September 19, 2012, 08:01:35 AM »
I know the Defiant's Romulan was intended to be a recurring character, hence the detailed introduction.  They just changed their minds after finishing The Search.  I guess they felt they backed themselves into a corner and decided to ignore the problem.  The character was never even referenced again.

The Romulan, Cretak, that had the run-in with Kira was also a permanent post on DS9.  She did show up again in a Section 31 episode.  Bashir was tricked into seeking her aid, which got her something like a court martial.  She was present and active on the station for that whole period, just never on screen.  A 15 or so episode gap isn't bad for a minor character.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1949 on: September 19, 2012, 03:27:11 PM »
So I have a problem with the appearance of the Founders. Odo looks the way he does because he tried (and failed) to look like the Bajoran's. His face is the result of not having the ability to mimic a human face and his hair is styled after the Bajoran's who worked with him.

The Founders on the other hand had never met the Bajoran's. They also clearly have the ability to perfectly mimic just about any humanoid they want. Yet they all look just like Odo.

Seems odd.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: September 19, 2012, 03:34:18 PM »
So I have a problem with the appearance of the Founders. Odo looks the way he does because he tried (and failed) to look like the Bajoran's. His face is the result of not having the ability to mimic a human face and his hair is styled after the Bajoran's who worked with him.

The Founders on the other hand had never met the Bajoran's. They also clearly have the ability to perfectly mimic just about any humanoid they want. Yet they all look just like Odo.

Seems odd.

That bothered the hell out of me.
Every single species in the Gamma Quadrant instantly recognized Odo as a founder/changeling even without him morphing, even though the Founders only took on that form after seeing Odo, and hadn't really shown themselves in person until then.
And why did they all stick to the form of Odo? As you said, he only looked like that because he sucked as a changeling, but the more experienced ones had no problem taking on the form of Kira, or a Romulan in other episodes. They had no natural humanoid form, but if they had ever used a humanoid form before Odo, it wouldn't have looked like him.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1951 on: September 19, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
They were copying Odo to make him comfortable.  As for recognition, I think the Dominion species are implied to be able to know changelings.  Not every species recognizes him, just the Vorta and Jem;Hadar, right?

Offline Adami

« Reply #1952 on: September 19, 2012, 03:37:58 PM »
They were copying Odo to make him comfortable.

At all times? They looked the way they did all the time unless they specifically looked like someone else.

Why would they care about making Odo comfortable when he wasn't there?

Also Blob pointed out that those who recognized Odo as a shapeshifter shouldn't have.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1953 on: September 19, 2012, 03:40:00 PM »
The female changeling said somewhere in the series they chose to mimic Odo's look.  Not every species recognized Odo as a shapeshifter.

Offline Adami

« Reply #1954 on: September 19, 2012, 03:41:34 PM »
The female changeling said somewhere in the series they chose to mimic Odo's look.  Not every species recognized Odo as a shapeshifter.

I don't remember her saying that. But she may have.

And most species never met Shape shifters. But there were a few that did recognize him before we were introduced to the founders.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline El Barto

• Rascal Atheistic Pig
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Bad Craziness
« Reply #1955 on: September 19, 2012, 03:42:38 PM »
They might have just wanted their own humanoid appearance, rather than just using an arbitrary one like human or vorta. 

And it seems like the people who recognized Odo did so by reputation more often than not.  "Hey, I hear you're a changeling.  Turn into a tree for me!"
E.F. Benson

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1956 on: September 19, 2012, 03:42:58 PM »
They were copying Odo to make him comfortable.

At all times? They looked the way they did all the time unless they specifically looked like someone else.

Why would they care about making Odo comfortable when he wasn't there?

Also Blob pointed out that those who recognized Odo as a shapeshifter shouldn't have.

Yeah, the female changeling used that form around the Dominion all the time regardless of whether Odo was there, which leads me to believe she/they'd never really assumed their own humanoid form until Odo came around, and just settled on that for familiarity with their allies, such as the Cardassians and Vorta.
Which makes even less sense that they were always recognized as Founders/changelings. I recall it was mentioned that the Founders were rarely seen and almost a myth, and they despised solids, so it's doubtful they spent much time in humanoid form at all.

And yet Odo was recognized as a shapeshifter based purely on his appearance at several times when it made absolutely no sense. Perhaps not all the time, but there were definitely times when he was recognized when he definitely shouldn't have been.

Offline yorost

• Inactive
« Reply #1957 on: September 19, 2012, 03:45:51 PM »
I'm curious as to these instances.  I remember by reputation and by Vorta and Jem;Hadar, but what other species simply knew he was a shapeshifter?  After awhile the shapeshifters had become far more public figures, too.

Offline Orbert

• Recovering Musician
  • EZBoard Elder
  • In and around the lake
« Reply #1958 on: September 19, 2012, 03:47:13 PM »
Maybe they recognized him as a shapeshifter because they took one look at him and figured out that he was a shapeshifter, but a total failure at actual mimicry.

WTF? This guy looks like a bad attempt at humanoid.   "So, you must be a shapeshifter."

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1959 on: September 19, 2012, 03:49:54 PM »
Maybe they recognized him as a shapeshifter because they took one look at him and figured out that he was a shapeshifter, but a total failure at actual mimicry.

WTF? This guy looks like a bad attempt at humanoid.   "So, you must be a shapeshifter."

:lol I'm not sure if that was a joke answer, but other shapeshifters could perfectly mimic other humanoid forms. And he could very well have just been another species. And it didn't seem that enough was known about the changelings for anyone to speculate like that anyway. They were an urban legend on some planets.