Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411157 times)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (2 songs out)
« Reply #1925 on: August 06, 2013, 09:58:36 AM »
Sorry to hear about the shipping issues some of you are having. :(

Cheers,
Matt

It's all good... I just wish Amazon would have sent the email out sometime before this morning about it. Next time I'll order through a different site :tup
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1926 on: August 06, 2013, 10:01:00 AM »
I have to say, although the price was stupidly high, I kinda like what Spock's Beard did with X. They had a pre-order through them a month or so before regular release, so the fans who pre-ordered through them where the very first to hear it. Not the people illegally downloading (or even the music press).

That's a great idea actually :tup

But I seem to be one of the few people who never had problems with Amazon delivering in time :huh:

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1927 on: August 06, 2013, 10:02:02 AM »
Hah, Tushar is a wonderful guy. Met him years back as he was in the US to visit family and attend Transatlantic. He always seems to do wonderful work.

Since you were being so awesome here Matt I didn't even bother this time around, but I hope come the next album you wouldn't mind an interview for my show, assuming Peter hasn't told you all sorts of horrible things about me!

Indeed. The interview with Tushar was a lot of fun.

Sure, just let me know and we'll set it up.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline ZirconBlue

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1928 on: August 06, 2013, 02:44:38 PM »
I have to say, although the price was stupidly high, I kinda like what Spock's Beard did with X. They had a pre-order through them a month or so before regular release, so the fans who pre-ordered through them where the very first to hear it. Not the people illegally downloading (or even the music press).

That's a great idea actually :tup

But I seem to be one of the few people who never had problems with Amazon delivering in time :huh:

I've never had any issues with amazon.

Offline Tom Bombadil

• We Do Not Sow
« Reply #1929 on: August 06, 2013, 03:06:32 PM »
Just got the album today and it's really good. Might be my favorite of JLB's solo works.

Offline Bone_Daddy

« Reply #1930 on: August 06, 2013, 03:56:48 PM »
Listened to the first track, Agony, and it punched me in the face. Have it on repeat for the moment.

:metal

Wished the new single track from DT would have done the same but sadly...  :'(

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #1931 on: August 06, 2013, 11:27:45 PM »
Just downloaded it earlier.  Can't wait to check out the whole album tomorrow at work.
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline DeanTheater

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We'll do it Live! ....^&*%! We'll Do It Live!!
« Reply #1932 on: August 07, 2013, 10:42:59 AM »
Just downloaded it earlier.  Can't wait to check out the whole album tomorrow at work.

THIS.  It is on my Ipod waiting for me to hit play.  cant wait!

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1933 on: August 07, 2013, 11:28:04 AM »
Looks like I'll have my copy Friday.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1934 on: August 07, 2013, 11:51:29 AM »
Man, I wish there was more tracks like Agony/I Will not Break in the album.
Having said that I also have to give props to Matt for the Bonus tracks. Why reminds me of something bands like Amaranthe would make, but a bit heavier and definitely better; and being more of a fan of this album's heavier tracks I also have to say I'm a sucker for power ballads and Unraveling is definitely how a power ballad is made. It's uplifting and pretty amazing.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1935 on: August 07, 2013, 12:13:24 PM »
Man, I wish there was more tracks like Agony/I Will not Break in the album.
Having said that I also have to give props to Matt for the Bonus tracks. Why reminds me of something bands like Amaranthe would make, but a bit heavier and definitely better; and being more of a fan of this album's heavier tracks I also have to say I'm a sucker for power ballads and Unraveling is definitely how a power ballad is made. It's uplifting and pretty amazing.

I'm a sucker for br00tal/heavier tracks as well, but it was important to make this album a little more diverse than SI. Glad you dig the bonus tracks! I gotta say, it was really tough making the call to use those for the bonus tracks. Even our mastering engineer, Tony Lindgren was surprised because "Why" was his favorite track.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1936 on: August 07, 2013, 01:09:20 PM »
Really fun album, Matt! This is my "go-to" when I'm in the mood for poppy metal. Previously SI was my go-to for that. Previous to that, it was Devin Townsend Project's "Addicted".

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1937 on: August 07, 2013, 05:21:33 PM »
Well, I don't know when my copy of the album is going to come in, (heck, maybe tomorrow), but I saw the Digipak version at my local store, and I couldn't resist picking it up. So now I'll have two versions of the album. I don't mind though. Double support for this album from me!
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline userx

« Reply #1938 on: August 07, 2013, 10:10:47 PM »
liking this officially more than new DT single

Offline Jinova

« Reply #1939 on: August 08, 2013, 05:08:04 AM »
Got mine from ITunes yesterday. After several listens, I love it!   It seems to pick up where SI left off and it seems these guys have found their sound. Great hooks and melodies and some great riffs. 
Hope they get to tour this time!

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1940 on: August 08, 2013, 05:54:57 AM »
Even our mastering engineer, Tony Lindgren was surprised because "Why" was his favorite track.

I have to agree with Tony. This song really blowed my mind at the first listen. These two tracks should definitely have make to the album!!!!!
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline DarkyDan

« Reply #1941 on: August 08, 2013, 06:38:18 AM »
Really liking the record now, I was initially disappointed expecting another Static Impulse.. but the entire album is super strong as far as melody and vocals go.

James' vocals fit these songs like a glove, a lot more so than recent DT releases.

Undertow is my favourite because it harkens back to Static Impulse but has cool retro keyboard sounds.  Lost in the fire is shaping up as a fave too.

I really wish some of these songs would chart and get radio play.  So much more substance than today's popular music :(

Offline cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1942 on: August 08, 2013, 07:34:28 AM »
More listens and DAMN this album is good. Very consistent. James sounds amazing. Part of me would have liked more songs like Agony but its hard to argue when I wouldn't really want to replace any of the other songs. And Matt, the vocal melodies are probably the best part of the album so mad props to you. James voice singing the melodies is the real chocolate cake.

Offline Zydar

• Creep With Tonality
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1943 on: August 08, 2013, 08:27:13 AM »
This album is slowly growing on me. I must be in the right mindset for this kind of music. It sure is catchy though.
Zydar is my new hero.  I just laughed so hard I nearly shat.

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1944 on: August 08, 2013, 09:16:12 AM »
Got mine from Amazon today, finally. Good news is it's the digipack with the 2 extra tracks.

:metal

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1945 on: August 08, 2013, 09:36:47 AM »
Is that from us amazon? Because that didn't seem like it would be  ???
If it is though I'd rather get it there than through cmdistro, cause shipping.. Can anyone confirm if US amazon has the digipak version?

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1946 on: August 08, 2013, 09:40:08 AM »
If it is though I'd rather get it there than through cmdistro, cause shipping.. Can anyone confirm if US amazon has the digipak version?

Yes US Amazon. I just got mine today.

Offline countoftuscany42

« Reply #1947 on: August 08, 2013, 10:07:04 AM »

But was it the import version? Or just the standard 9.99 cd. Because reviews on amazon make it seem like it isn't the bonus track version. Just want to get as much JLB as possible :metal

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1948 on: August 08, 2013, 10:07:45 AM »

But was it the import version? Or just the standard 9.99 cd. Because reviews on amazon make it seem like it isn't the bonus track version. Just want to get as much JLB as possible :metal

It was the 9.99 Cd. Back when I ordered it, it was like $17.19 or something.. but the preorder guarantee knocked it down to 9.99.  It was not marked anywhere as Import.

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1949 on: August 08, 2013, 10:36:20 AM »
I thought the digipak was only available in Europe or as an import in the US (and everywhere else) :huh:

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1950 on: August 08, 2013, 10:37:03 AM »
I thought the digipak was only available in Europe or as an import in the US (and everywhere else) :huh:

Digipack is available from CMDistro (direct) in the US.  I'm sure that's where Amazon got them from if they're the distributor.

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #1951 on: August 08, 2013, 11:23:04 AM »
Gave the album a listen before bed last night. It's a truly great piece of music. The energy on it is amazing, James' vocals are vibrant and makes him sound young. Unraveling was just amazing, I'm so glad I bought the Digipak version. The whole album is amazing. I knew I'd enjoy it, but I didn't expect to enjoy it as much as I did.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline senecadawg2

« Reply #1952 on: August 08, 2013, 02:50:59 PM »
This album is mega-hooky.  :tup :tup
Quote from: black_floyd
Oh seneca, how you've warmed my heart this evening.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1953 on: August 08, 2013, 02:56:55 PM »
So, Amazon now has my copy listed as "shipping now", so hopefully I'll get it soon.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1954 on: August 08, 2013, 03:35:07 PM »
I actually got mine today, plan on cranking it while making dinner.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1955 on: August 08, 2013, 04:32:26 PM »
Fix me some vittles too, while you're at it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline ?

• Apparently the best username
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Less=Moore, Even Less=Wilson
« Reply #1956 on: August 09, 2013, 09:31:06 AM »
I experienced a pleasant surprise today: I had preordered the standard edition from a Finnish record store, but the digipak was also made available there after that, which pissed me off. However, when I got the package in the mail today I realized that it was the digipak and that truly made up for having to wait for so long :metal

I've listened to the album once and it's hard to name any standout tracks, but I can say I'm ImpRessed. The songs are really catchy, James sounds great and the whole band is on fire. Great job, guys! :tup

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1957 on: August 09, 2013, 03:28:50 PM »
I experienced a pleasant surprise today: I had preordered the standard edition from a Finnish record store, but the digipak was also made available there after that, which pissed me off. However, when I got the package in the mail today I realized that it was the digipak and that truly made up for having to wait for so long :metal

I've listened to the album once and it's hard to name any standout tracks, but I can say I'm ImpRessed. The songs are really catchy, James sounds great and the whole band is on fire. Great job, guys! :tup
Quick, get some water!

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1958 on: August 09, 2013, 03:30:18 PM »
Amazon's a troll. It told me that it wasn't coming in for 2 weeks... then it was all "JK ITS CUMING 2MRW!!!! LOLOLOL"
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1959 on: August 09, 2013, 03:33:01 PM »
Amazon's a troll. It told me that it wasn't coming in for 2 weeks... then it was all "JK ITS CUMING 2MRW!!!! LOLOLOL"

:(