Author Topic: James LaBrie Solo  (Read 411213 times)

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • welcome to the wasteland
Re: James LaBrie: Impermanent Resonance (2 songs out)
« Reply #1890 on: August 03, 2013, 04:01:36 AM »
Marco, listen to this intie, there's about 4 minutes of fanboying over Italy near the end :lol

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

type : mora : and delete the spaces for a surprise

Offline wasteland

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Jay Beckenstein was in Spyro Gyra, right?
« Reply #1891 on: August 03, 2013, 04:04:33 AM »
Marco, listen to this intie, there's about 4 minutes of fanboying over Italy near the end :lol

James/Matt fanboying over Italy? :D Here I come, where's the link? :caffeine:
:slayer: Somewhere, over the wasteland..... bootlegs fly :slayer:
MoraWintersoul is the BEST person.
- Marco

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1892 on: August 03, 2013, 07:42:01 AM »
here:
Audio interview that James and I did for Metal Shock Finland.

https://metalshockfinland.com/2013/08/02/audio-interview-james-labrie-and-matt-guillory-talk-impermanent-resonance/

-Matt
Also I'm glad Rob agrees with me, but seeing how people here first claimed I'm rob-level and then dubbed me robwebstress, it's not that much of a shock :lol
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:01:36 AM by MoraWintersoul »

Don't try to BS her about Kevin Moore facts, she will obscure quote you in the face.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1893 on: August 03, 2013, 11:28:22 AM »
Man, I just returned from my holiday, and expected to see my IR limited edition CD in the mail... Except something's gone wrong where I preordered it. I'd first preordered the standard edition, but later emailed them if they could change it to the limited edition. But now they've changed my order to the LP version, and that is still processing... even though the album came out on 29 July. This sucks, guess I'll have to wait a few more days. They won't even read my email until Monday probably.

Offline TL

« Reply #1894 on: August 03, 2013, 11:56:28 AM »
I've been opening different album folders to listen to things while working on stuff today, and I just realized that, purely by coincidence, the two I have open right now are Permanent Waves and Impermanent Resonance.  :P

Offline YtseJamittaja

• Yub Nub
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1895 on: August 03, 2013, 01:21:45 PM »
^^ You should go to the barber and get a permanent.
Do you even whahíbrido pickingant?

M Y  L A S T. F M  P R O F I L E

Offline SystematicThought

• DTF.org Member
  • Carpe Diem-2020
« Reply #1896 on: August 03, 2013, 02:01:27 PM »
I just got my copy in the mail today. I'm really liking it so far. Different than SI, but still has a familiar feel. I definitely see the hybrid of EoP and SI. I like it

It's kind of a dumb question for Matt, but you and James did indeed personally sign the postcards that came with the digi-pack right? Like I said, bad question
God have mercy on a man
Who doubts what he's sure of.
-Bruce Springsteen

Offline aprilethereal

« Reply #1897 on: August 03, 2013, 02:55:02 PM »
My digipak didn't come with a postcard :sadpanda:

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1898 on: August 03, 2013, 03:28:28 PM »
It's kind of a dumb question for Matt, but you and James did indeed personally sign the postcards that came with the digi-pack right? Like I said, bad question

Correct. James and I signed the postcards.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Madman Shepherd

« Reply #1899 on: August 03, 2013, 07:10:37 PM »
My digipak didn't come with a postcard :sadpanda:

Mine didn't either but I think you had to order it directly from Inside Out and I got mine through Century Media. 

With that said, it came in the mail today, thank god. 

I only had the chance to listen to a few songs because I prefer to listen to it in the car but DAMN I am BLOWN AWAY!!!

Matt, I totally see what you are saying about writing the vocal melodies first.  They really stand out and the music sounds like a compliment to the song rather than being the main part.  In other words, it really works beautifully. 

I honestly thought nothing could top EoP but this album may just do that.  Gonna find excuses to drive places so I can listen to the rest of the album. 

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1900 on: August 03, 2013, 09:01:11 PM »
While this album is far more consistent (The songs I liked the most off Static Impulse are in majority better than the ones I liked the most off Impermanent Resonance, but the songs I liked the least are worse) I did yearn for heavier tracks on the second half of the album, something that didn't came until I Will Not Break, which is a kick-ass song.

I liked this album. It's very good. Elements of Persuasion is still my favorite by JLB though, and I don't know if it's better than Static Impulse, which has grown on me a lot through the years. Guess I'll wait and see.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1901 on: August 04, 2013, 06:26:24 PM »
Ive given the album about 5-6 listens now and I really like it.  Its a bit more "poppy" than SI but also more consistant.  I definitely see a blend of EOP and SI.  Lots of catchiness in these songs.

Offline Ben_Jamin

• I'm just a man, thrown into existence by the gods
« Reply #1902 on: August 05, 2013, 01:08:24 AM »
I've got you totally needs to be turned into a dance remix....

I'm on Letting Go, and so far its great. The keyboards and piano segments are fantastic.  JLB is really letting go on his vocals in this.

You guys need to seriously tour ASAP.
I don't know how they can be so proud of winning with them odds. - Little Big Man
Follow my Spotify:BjamminD

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1903 on: August 05, 2013, 05:19:16 AM »
*Sits waiting quietly for my copy to arrive to be able to join the discussion*  :mehlin
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Onno

• Well, it's just entertainment, folks!
« Reply #1904 on: August 05, 2013, 06:01:03 AM »
*Sits waiting quietly for my copy to arrive to be able to join the discussion*  :mehlin
This. Though mine should come tomorrow.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #1905 on: August 05, 2013, 08:45:44 AM »
Yup, can't wait to start listening to the actual thing tomorrow.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1906 on: August 05, 2013, 03:08:20 PM »
2) You're absolutely better at writing with James' voice in mind that anyone who's ever done that. Highlighting everything awesome about it in 3-4 minutes, then repeating it during each song on the album while ample space is left for other important stuff is not an easy balance to achieve.
Re 2: That's very nice of you to say, but I think there are some very good and capable writers in DT :) When I'm writing a song, I absolutely *have* to be able to sing it. If I'm not feeling it and it's not working for me first, then it's more than likely not going to work for James either.
Good writers in DT - deffo! But there's something in these solo discs, where James' voice really shines through. Which is absolutely appropriate, since it's his solo disc, so the voice is (quite rightly!) more of a centrepiece, but I'm in awe of James' voice on a regular basis on these solo albums. I think he's great in Dream Theater, too, but not so routinely incredible - the voice is part of the ensemble, rather than a focal point.

I'd say that, in these albums, you can always tell James is a virtuoso. And I think that's something your band's better at showcasing than DT are - and, as lead songwriter, I reckon you have to take a lot of the credit for that.

Well, you're very kind. Thanks! Like I've mentioned before, the majority my time producing this record was spent on crafting the vocals - so it's super awesome to hear that kind of feedback.

Cheers,
Matt

Offline elizaalltiedup

« Reply #1907 on: August 06, 2013, 05:58:20 AM »
Purchased, FINALLY! Only on the third track, and holy crap, this is completely amazing and I love it already.  :heart

Offline ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #1908 on: August 06, 2013, 07:09:48 AM »
Ok, so, I'm sort of addicted to this album. I just keep wanting to listen to it, it's just too damn catchy! Matt, what have you done to me?!

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline Elite

• The 'other' Rich
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • also, a tin teardrop
« Reply #1909 on: August 06, 2013, 07:12:06 AM »
Ok, so, I'm sort of addicted to this album. I just keep wanting to listen to it, it's just too damn catchy! Matt, what have you done to me?!

Absolutely this. The album is amazing!
Hey dude slow the fuck down so we can finish together at the same time.  :biggrin:
Squ
scRa are the resultaten of sound nog bring propey

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1910 on: August 06, 2013, 07:19:35 AM »
I hope Amazon doesn't screw up like they did with my last release, which came on Wednesday. They still are showing today as my anticipated release of this, but haven't shipped it yet. And while there is a distribution center 10 miles from me, I'm worried that won't matter if it only ships this morning.

I gotta look into if they owe me anything if the release comes tomorrow despite release day delivery selected...
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1911 on: August 06, 2013, 07:20:41 AM »
I always pick the free shipping. :lol  My copy ain't going to show up for a long time.

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1912 on: August 06, 2013, 07:22:25 AM »
I hope Amazon doesn't screw up like they did with my last release, which came on Wednesday. They still are showing today as my anticipated release of this, but haven't shipped it yet. And while there is a distribution center 10 miles from me, I'm worried that won't matter if it only ships this morning.

I gotta look into if they owe me anything if the release comes tomorrow despite release day delivery selected...

I just got an email from Amazon saying I won't receive my copy until the 24th. 

WTF

I'm not going to go into a rant but this really pisses me off. This is only the second album I've EVER preordered... (the first being Static Impulse which arrived several days early way back when...)

I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1913 on: August 06, 2013, 07:23:28 AM »
I always pick the free shipping. :lol  My copy ain't going to show up for a long time.

I was like that until recently, but between quick shipping on everything and the free instant video on my PS3 a Prime membership has been worth every penny.

Though it looks like I won't be getting anything back for any late deliveries, because if it's late I get my shipping fee back... but it was free.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1914 on: August 06, 2013, 07:24:33 AM »

WTF

I'm not going to go into a rant but this really pisses me off. This is only the second album I've EVER preordered... (the first being Static Impulse which arrived several days early way back when...)

That sucks. :(

I might actually just cancel my order. If The Mountain and Darkness in a Different Light will be sold on vinyl from CMDistro I'll just get this on vinyl with them.

Online cramx3

• Chillest of the chill
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1915 on: August 06, 2013, 07:32:57 AM »
For the reasons you guys state with shipping is one reason why I just go all digital these days. I used to love having the physical CDs and looking through the booklets but man its so much more convenient to just click download and pay for it through a credit card and be listening to it in seconds.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1916 on: August 06, 2013, 07:55:04 AM »
I have to say, although the price was stupidly high, I kinda like what Spock's Beard did with X. They had a pre-order through them a month or so before regular release, so the fans who pre-ordered through them where the very first to hear it. Not the people illegally downloading (or even the music press).

Offline Mindflux

• DT.net Veteran
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1917 on: August 06, 2013, 08:32:29 AM »

WTF

I have not gotten that email from Amazon, but my order also hasn't shipped. :/ The status shows as "Shipping now" so hopefully I'll have it by Thursday (late.. grr)

Offline JayOctavarium

• I used to be a whorejerk
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • But then I took a Hef to the knee...
« Reply #1918 on: August 06, 2013, 08:44:14 AM »
So I was wrong. It says by the 21st.

Still bullshit
I just don't understand what they were trying to achieve with any part of the song, either individually or as a whole. You know what? It's the Platypus of Dream Theater songs. That bill doesn't go with that tail, or that strange little furry body, or those webbed feet, and oh god why does it have venomous spurs!? And then you find out it lays eggs too. The difference is that the Platypus is somehow functional despite being a crazy mishmash or leftover animal pieces

-BlobVanDam on "Scarred"

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1919 on: August 06, 2013, 08:53:15 AM »
Sorry to hear about the shipping issues some of you are having. :(

Revolver Magazine is streaming the full album in the meantime.

https://www.revolvermag.com/news/exclusive-dream-theaters-james-labries-solo-album-impermanent-resonance.html

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1920 on: August 06, 2013, 08:55:20 AM »
No worries, Matt. Amazon always does this to me, so I was prepared. :lol

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1921 on: August 06, 2013, 08:56:46 AM »
I've been super thrilled with Amazon since going prime, first issue was Winery Dogs being a day late, and now this.

I just wish CMDistro would go ahead and put the vinyl I want online so I know for sure I want to cancel my amazon order.

Offline Matt

• Forum VIP
« Reply #1922 on: August 06, 2013, 09:46:20 AM »
An interview that James and I did for Dutch Progressive Rock:

https://www.dprp.net/wp/interviews/?page_id=4571

Cheers,
Matt

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #1923 on: August 06, 2013, 09:51:19 AM »
Hah, Tushar is a wonderful guy. Met him years back as he was in the US to visit family and attend Transatlantic. He always seems to do wonderful work.

Since you were being so awesome here Matt I didn't even bother this time around, but I hope come the next album you wouldn't mind an interview for my show, assuming Peter hasn't told you all sorts of horrible things about me!

Offline MoraWintersoul

• Gloom Cookie
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1924 on: August 06, 2013, 09:57:42 AM »
Great questions, and I really enjoyed the answers :tup Pink rules :metal