Author Topic: Mike Portnoy...truly a fan in a band member's shoes.  (Read 10801 times)

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensr˙che Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
Mike Portnoy...truly a fan in a band member's shoes.
« on: April 19, 2010, 04:54:57 PM »
I was at lunch today with a friend and Mike Portnoy came up in the discussion. Normally, while I usually bring up the negative side of things (just my nature), I found myself really giving MP props for all the great things he does for fans.

I mean seriously, what "famous rock star" makes sure that every single set list in a city has different stuff in it each time the band comes back? On top of that, he also makes sure the band learns tons of songs for the tour, so that those that follow the band around get a bunch of different stuff.

On top of that, I've never seen a band of Dream Theater's size (meaning at its level of popularity), maintain such an exhaustive selection of official bootlegs and making sure that eventually, what fans want, they get.

In addition, and most importantly, the dude CARES. Seriously. You ask anyone who has seen MP react to things both positive and negative, and you can tell he genuinely wants to be viewed positively as someone who goes the extra mile to deliver.

I really respect that. Sure, MP has his moments where he flies off the handle perhaps, and of course, the control freak tendencies. I'm guilty of that myself. But the good side of that is he obsesses to make sure he remembers what it is like to be a hardcore fan, and deliver to all of us what he would want if in our shoes.

Not many people go that extra mile. This fan appreciates it a great deal.

Cheers to MP.
Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
Re: Mike Portnoy...truly a fan in a band member's shoes.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2010, 05:00:37 PM »
*appreciates MP*

I met him last summer, and even though it was in a store and I was just one of many in line, he talked to you and didnt just push you aside so he could get out of there as fast as he could. Great guy, probably the best in the business.

Offline 73109

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2010, 05:09:29 PM »
I was at lunch today with a friend and Mike Portnoy(...)

I was about to call you a dick...but then I realized! :D

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2010, 05:11:05 PM »
MP is hands down the coolest guy in the business.

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2010, 05:12:02 PM »
I was at lunch today with a friend and Mike Portnoy(...)

I was about to call you a dick...but then I realized! :D

This, and, MP is awesome.  :tup

Offline Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2010, 05:20:32 PM »

Eh. But he seems like an OK guy.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2010, 06:09:14 PM »

Eh. But he seems like an OK guy.
I've spoken with him a few times, so I say that with confidence.

Offline GuineaPig

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2010, 06:14:50 PM »
Excellent post.  As much as I sometimes dislike his persona, or how I feel he's been influencing the band in recent years, he seems to be genuinely dedicated to providing his fans with an unprecedented amount of catering and interaction.
"In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people very angry, and has been widely regarded as a bad idea."

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2010, 06:20:27 PM »
thanks so much for the post samsara, absolutely agree and couldn't say it better myself  :tup

Offline sonatafanica

• cocksucking maniac
  • DTF.org Member
  • ☠☠☠☠☠☠jesus take the wheel☠☠☠☠☠☠
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2010, 07:44:59 PM »
Mike is definitely a cool dude.

Offline Nick

• A doctor.
  • Global Moderator
  • But not the medical kind.
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2010, 07:45:47 PM »
I agree with most of your points and I award you 10 points for pointing them out.
For the best online progressive radio: ProgRock.com
For the best in progressive news, reviews, and interviews: SonicPerspectives.com
For a trove of older podcasts and interviews: WPaPU.com
Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #1

Online axeman90210

• Official Minister of Awesome, and Veronica knows my name!
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Never go full Nick
« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2010, 07:56:26 PM »
:tup
Photobucket sucks.

Offline ZBomber

• "The Analogy Guy"
  • A Farewell to Kings
« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2010, 08:04:40 PM »
I agree with most of your points and I award you 10 points for pointing them out.

Point.

Offline CountVoorhees

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2010, 08:21:30 PM »
I don't know how weird this is and I really don't care but I want to give him a hug.

Offline Quadrochosis

• DTF.org Alumni
  • We Are Not Alone
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2010, 09:25:57 PM »
I met MP at the Opeth show in NYC a few weeks ago and he is indeed one humble, awesome guy. :tup

He does so much for us fans, it really makes me wonder how any of the nubs over at MP.com can be such jerks to him.
space cadet, pull out.
The only thing I enjoy more than Frengers is pleasing myself anally via the prostate.
"From my butt, I can see your house..."

Offline Phantasmatron

• Peanut Butter Advocate and Jelly Enthusiast
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What the Jenkins?!
« Reply #15 on: April 19, 2010, 10:12:05 PM »

This post is pointed, well-written, and directly on point.

Offline Jamesman42

• There you'll find me
  • DT.net Member
  • Spiral OUT
« Reply #16 on: April 19, 2010, 10:20:23 PM »
What's the point of pointing to the point on the graph?

By the way, enough is a weird word to me today.

Great post, Samsara!

Good night!!!!!!!!!!DTF!!!!

Offline OsMosis2259

• Pretty Pretty Pretty Good!
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2010, 10:26:59 PM »
It MPs birthday today too also his 10th year since he has been sober. 

Happy birthday!

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2010, 07:10:16 AM »
Sam, your OP is right on. It's clear that MP was a fan first and foremost, and has NEVER forgotten that. It's one of the main reasons why DT is m favorite band.

The Official Boots thing is great as is his drumming DVD's. Imagine being a kid in 1981 watching Peart record Moving Pics. MP gives you that great experience.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline emindead

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2010, 09:23:28 AM »
Thank you for everything, MP!

Except "Never Enough" and your AA Suite, except "The Glass Prison" and the first minutes of "Repentace"

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2010, 09:48:54 AM »
I agree with most of your points and I award you 10 points for putting out.
What?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2010, 11:36:24 AM »
Mmm, I've been trying to hold back from posting in this thread, because I don't have the time to engage in debate today, lol.  While I agree that MP's "hands-on-ness" and personal touch has its good aspects like the bootlegs and setlists, it also has its bad aspects IMO that balance out the scale for me.  So I can't praise him for it.  That's all I'll say for now, since I don't have time to follow up today, lol. :-\
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline Samsara

• Author & Queensr˙che Historian
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Memory flows...like a river.
« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2010, 11:40:47 AM »
Mmm, I've been trying to hold back from posting in this thread, because I don't have the time to engage in debate today, lol.  While I agree that MP's "hands-on-ness" and personal touch has its good aspects like the bootlegs and setlists, it also has its bad aspects IMO that balance out the scale for me.  So I can't praise him for it.  That's all I'll say for now, since I don't have time to follow up today, lol. :-\

Anyone who has read my posts on here knows there are a couple things about MP and what he does that I believe are detrimental to Dream Theater. I've made that very clear on DTF in the past. lol. But this thread was intended to put aside those for now, and instead highlight the good things MP does and how he's never really let the "rock star" persona take over the "fan" he is of the music, and what he strives to provide for everyone based on being a fan.

Roads to Madness: The Touring History of Queensr˙che (1981-1997) - NOW AVAILABLE!

Order at www.roadstomadness.com/book.html!

Offline Mebert78

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2010, 11:58:05 AM »

Anyone who has read my posts on here knows there are a couple things about MP and what he does that I believe are detrimental to Dream Theater. I've made that very clear on DTF in the past. lol. But this thread was intended to put aside those for now, and instead highlight the good things MP does and how he's never really let the "rock star" persona take over the "fan" he is of the music, and what he strives to provide for everyone based on being a fan.

Gotcha.  Yes, then I deff agree he does go out of his way to accommodate fans in a way that other artists do not.  It's refreshing and impressive actually.  I can admit that without a doubt.  

Personally, the only bootleg I own is When Dream and Day Reunite.  I think it's a great look at the band's early days and you gotta give MP credit.  Stuff like that sets DT apart from other bands.
An unofficial online community for fans of keyboardist Kevin Moore (ex-Dream Theater, Chroma Key, OSI):

Offline glaurung

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2010, 12:02:32 PM »
There can be no denying that MP takes care of his fans. I really appreciate it.  :tup

I met MP at the Opeth show in NYC a few weeks ago and he is indeed one humble, awesome guy. :tup

He does so much for us fans, it really makes me wonder how any of the nubs over at MP.com can be such jerks to him.

DTF is much harder on him than MP.com from what I've seen.
Cole: "Ow I just got hit in the balls"
Me: "How?"
Cole: "Well you know when you try to scratch your balls, and you scratch too hard?
I'll admit sometimes I want to listen to Dragonforce.

Offline moffatt

• Lost fanboi
  • Head & Shoulders > L'oreal
« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 12:51:50 PM »
Indeed, he really is good to his fans. He is on my top list of people who i would love to meet.

Offline LudwigVan

• Proglodyte
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2010, 07:19:46 PM »
Great post Samsara.  I was about to say something more, but realized you pretty much had it all covererd   :tup
"There is nothing more difficult than talking about music."
--Camille Saint-Saëns

“All the good music has already been written by people with wigs and stuff.”
--Frank Zappa

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2010, 08:32:35 PM »
Happy birthday Mike and thank you!  :hefdaddy

:heart

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2010, 04:37:22 AM »
He's probably the busiest musician alive. Hail MP.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2010, 05:01:28 AM »
Excellent post. I've always thought that way and I still think he deserves much more respect than he gets.

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2010, 12:43:23 AM »
Isn't it interesting that one of the nicest and most fan-oriented guys in the biz ended up writing a song like "Never Enough?"  What does that say about the fan base (in general, not necessarily DTF)? 

Offline nightmare_cinema

• I'm Raiderrrrrrrrr
« Reply #31 on: April 23, 2010, 06:47:11 AM »
MP seems awesome. He absolutely RADIATES passion and enthusiasm on stage and that's something special coming from someone behind a kit. Hands down one of my favourite all-time musicians, I think a lot of stuff gets done thanks to MP.
Every story needs to have an ending, we might as well give up all this pretending and clear the air...

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #32 on: April 23, 2010, 07:16:13 AM »
Isn't it interesting that one of the nicest and most fan-oriented guys in the biz ended up writing a song like "Never Enough?"  What does that say about the fan base (in general, not necessarily DTF)? 

Well, since it's not really about the fan base (at least, not the fan base as a whole), not much, actually.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Dublagent66

• Devouring consciousness...
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ...Digesting power
« Reply #33 on: April 23, 2010, 02:33:46 PM »
Yeah, MP is great.  He's an extremely diverse music fan himself and works very hard to give back to his own fan base.  I wish he would've been a little more accessible at the LTE Downey show like JP and JR were, but I don't want to make it seem like a complaint because it was such an awesome show.  He was just way too busy doing stuff as usual.  Happy belated birthday Mike.

:2metal:
"Two things are infinite; the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." -Albert Einstein
"There's not a pill you can take.  There's not a class you can go to.  Stupid is foreva."  -Ron White

Offline contest_sanity

« Reply #34 on: April 23, 2010, 03:21:06 PM »

Well, since it's not really about the fan base (at least, not the fan base as a whole), not much, actually.
Yeah, I guess the song was probably more about specific incidents, rather than a general comment, although I guess it was general enough to be released on an album, where it could possibly be misconstrued.  I was really more interested, anyway, in pointing out the irony of someone so dedicated to the fans ending up writing a song like that; I just didn't phrase it well.