Author Topic: Mike Portnoy...truly a fan in a band member's shoes.  (Read 10708 times)

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
Re: Mike Portnoy...truly a fan in a band member's shoes.
« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2010, 04:17:01 PM »
Isn't it interesting that one of the nicest and most fan-oriented guys in the biz ended up writing a song like "Never Enough?"  What does that say about the fan base (in general, not necessarily DTF)? 

Well, since it's not really about the fan base (at least, not the fan base as a whole), not much, actually.
Yeah, I guess the song was probably more about specific incidents, rather than a general comment, although I guess it was general enough to be released on an album, where it could possibly be misconstrued.  I was really more interested, anyway, in pointing out the irony of someone so dedicated to the fans ending up writing a song like that; I just didn't phrase it well.

hypothetically, though, the more you care the more it hurts when those you are devoted to are unappreciative

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2010, 04:31:12 PM »
hypothetically, though, the more you care the more it hurts when those you are devoted to are unappreciative

Very true.  And sometimes people don't take the time to actually consider that Mike Portnoy is genuinely hurt by some of the unfair criticism he receives.  I understand the argument that "if you are a public figure, you shouldn't be overly sensitive about people criticising your work that you put out in the public domain."  But to me, whether he should be sensitive to it isn't really the point.  The point is that he is.  And since I am a fan of Mike Portnoy and various projects of his, including Dream Theater, to which this site is primarily dedicated, I continue to want to run this place as if it is, in a sense, Mike's house.  As I told Mike when I met him, it is sometimes really difficult to perfectly strike the balance between allowing peole to constructively and respectfully voice criticism and voice their opinions when they don't like something on one hand, while also keeping the overall tone of this site as a positive reflection on the band that promotes and doesn't detract from DT's image on the other hand.  I'm sure I often fail on one side or the other of that balance.  But it is my hope that this place is seen by the band and the fans alike as something positive that rightfully expresses appreciation for the things Samsara pointed out in his initial post in the thread.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline yeshaberto

• DT.net Veteran
  • Somebody Get Me A Doctor! - VH
« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »
I would think that one of the key distinctions in finding that balance is between criticizing someone for their work and maligning someone's motives.  no one likes to be criticized, but if it is constructive it can be used to become better.  too often, though, we judge people's motives, which in the case of someone like MP, that can't be used constructively

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2010, 04:41:29 PM »
If a band lasts as long as DT has, it's inevitable that a band changes it's sound and it's fanbase will complain because they like a certain sound or style.  I personally like when a band doesn't, from album to album, sound the same.  Some people just don't like change.  In the end, mike and his bandmates please themselves first and hope we go along for the ride.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Darkes7

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2010, 04:45:08 PM »
In the end, mike and his bandmates please themselves first and hope we go along for the ride.
I think that's really the only way to make music evolve and actually keep it good. If bands listened to their fanbase in key things such as music direction, it would never be good, especially that not everyone expresses their opinion. Look at DT, if the band e.g. tried to follow all internet boards and listen to all opinions they hear elsewhere and wanted to make an album based on that, we would get Images & Words Part II. And then III. And then IV... you get the idea.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #40 on: April 23, 2010, 04:49:38 PM »
If a band lasts as long as DT has, it's inevitable that a band changes it's sound and it's fanbase will complain because they like a certain sound or style.  I personally like when a band doesn't, from album to album, sound the same.  Some people just don't like change.  In the end, mike and his bandmates please themselves first and hope we go along for the ride.

And if they don't change, the other half will complain that the band is too safe, sterile, and can't explore other possibilities. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #41 on: April 23, 2010, 04:52:02 PM »

And if they don't change, the other half will complain that the band is too safe, sterile, and can't explore other possibilities. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

like AC/DC.  Nothing wrong about their music.  They just don't inspire me.  Good for parties and drinking.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline AwakeFromOctavarium

• Penguin wins by default.
« Reply #42 on: April 25, 2010, 03:29:24 AM »

Besides, even though we are the ones who support them, I don't think they should be too pressured by fan criticism and demands. It's not like we are the ones who created the band to play for us.
<br />Girls are like square roots; If they\\\'re under 18, do them in your head.<br />
You Americans feed the bears with bacon! That's why they've grown so ferocious!

Offline DarkLord_Lalinc

• pr0nman extraordinaire
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Hostages love me
« Reply #43 on: April 25, 2010, 09:28:42 AM »
And they gain new fans and admiration on the process. I recall, when Systematic Chaos was released, the harsh criticism it got, but on the other hand that album allowed a relationsip of more casual metal fans with PRogressive Metal. Lots of people I know love that album and got interested on DT thanks to it.
Quote from: TioJorge
MAN FUCK YOU KUJA.
Quote from: hefdaddy42
The Darklord is amazing

Offline Perpetual Change

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #44 on: April 25, 2010, 09:59:55 AM »
Gotta say, I spent all 3 hrs of the Transatlantic concert about 3 ft away from Mike Portnoy.  Watching him play drums last night told me a lot more about his personality than every interview with him and message board post I've ever read.  Gotta say, he really does seem to be one of the coolest guys in the business.

Offline ddtonfire

« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 04:47:29 PM »

Offline Birch Boy

• DTF's Heavy Metal Hippie
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 05:24:39 PM »
:2metal:

Offline Chico

« Reply #47 on: September 18, 2011, 06:08:14 PM »
Fuck him,he left the band. And the band excelled

Offline LieLowTheWantedMan

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2011, 06:10:05 PM »
Really? You needed to revive this thread to say that? :P

Offline Chico

« Reply #49 on: September 18, 2011, 06:11:07 PM »
YES

Offline lateralus88

• The Official DTF Stanley Kubrick Fanboi
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • I stabbed Euronymous because he drank my PBR
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2011, 06:15:36 PM »
inb4 the ban
I felt its length in quite a few places.

Awesome Majesty Pendant Club: Member #3

Offline livehard

« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2011, 06:18:14 PM »
inb4 the ban
How is that bannable material? The mods would have to be real nazis to ban for that.

I honestly think that he really did a lot of those things for the fans jsut so that he could advertise how much of a workaholic he was and how much people owed him (see "Never Enough").

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2011, 06:19:17 PM »
inb4 the ban
How is that bannable material? The mods would have to be real nazis to ban for that.
You are so cute. There are a good number of reasons. Read the rules.

Offline livehard

« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2011, 06:26:52 PM »

Very true.  And sometimes people don't take the time to actually consider that Mike Portnoy is genuinely hurt by some of the unfair criticism he receives.  I understand the argument that "if you are a public figure, you shouldn't be overly sensitive about people criticising your work that you put out in the public domain."  But to me, whether he should be sensitive to it isn't really the point.  The point is that he is.  And since I am a fan of Mike Portnoy and various projects of his, including Dream Theater, to which this site is primarily dedicated, I continue to want to run this place as if it is, in a sense, Mike's house.  As I told Mike when I met him, it is sometimes really difficult to perfectly strike the balance between allowing peole to constructively and respectfully voice criticism and voice their opinions when they don't like something on one hand, while also keeping the overall tone of this site as a positive reflection on the band that promotes and doesn't detract from DT's image on the other hand.  I'm sure I often fail on one side or the other of that balance.  But it is my hope that this place is seen by the band and the fans alike as something positive that rightfully expresses appreciation for the things Samsara pointed out in his initial post in the thread.

I think it is the fans that are/were being underapreciated by Portnoy.  We are some of the most loyal fans in music in my opnion.  Its because of our appreciation for music and real musical talent that allows such a non-mainstream band to be so successful. I don't think that MP had it that tough at all. 

Also, I dont understand why we can't just have honest discourse about our feelings about him wihtout having to try to have some sort of balance or equity?  As long as poeple arent being stupid or blatently vulgar, why can't we articulate how we really feel about him as good/bad as it is.

I may be in the minority, but I really think it is him that should have been counting his blessings when he was with DT and should have been more thankful for us that do absolutely so much to allow this band to keep making music.

Offline livehard

« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2011, 06:29:15 PM »
inb4 the ban

I have.  He wasnt insulting or bashing him, he said "fuck him" like, forget him.  It was a suggestion as to how DT forget about him,  not "fuck you mike portnoy"...

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2011, 06:31:33 PM »
inb4 the ban

I have.  He wasnt insulting or bashing him, he said "fuck him" like, forget him.  It was a suggestion as to how DT forget about him,  not "fuck you mike portnoy"...
Yeah but it's enough of a blatant comment to come off as rude and unnecessary. That's all I'm pointing out.  :chill

Offline Chico

« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2011, 06:33:48 PM »
Who gives a flying fuck, I posted a legitimate thread and it got locked for no reason.

Offline livehard

« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2011, 06:35:08 PM »
Oh dont worry Im totally chill, Im not the one saying that warrants a bad as per the forum rules.  I just dont think its rude to say "fuck him". 

A little analogy: I dont think that its rude when someone tells a guy "dude fuck your ex girlfriend, forget about her".  He's not insulting the girlfriend., he's just giving a suggestion about the guy's future behavior with respect to his ex girlfriend.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2011, 09:11:33 PM »
inb4 the ban

How is "fuck him" not like "fuck you"?  If you don't see what's wrong with that, then this may not be the best forum for you.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline livehard

« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2011, 09:15:41 PM »
inb4 the ban

How is "fuck him" not like "fuck you"?  If you don't see what's wrong with that, then this may not be the best forum for you.

Fuck him = forget MP, we dont need him.  This is an opinion.

Fuck you = insult to the MP, doesnt mean anything but to hurt the person

Offline LCArenas

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2011, 09:24:48 PM »
Really surprised on how the general opinion of this community regarding MP has changed in One year and a Half.

Online Adami

• Moderator of awesomeness
« Reply #61 on: September 18, 2011, 09:25:08 PM »
I think you're misinterpreting what that phrase actually means and the tone he typed it in.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline livehard

« Reply #62 on: September 18, 2011, 09:28:52 PM »
I think you're misinterpreting what that phrase actually means and the tone he typed it in.

What does the phrase mean? you disagree with my contention that its an opinion on whether DT should have MP back?

The tone? We're adults, I think we can all deal with the word fuck.

Online Adami

« Reply #63 on: September 18, 2011, 09:31:09 PM »
It doesn't mean forget him.

It's a harsher way of saying "Screw him". Which is no different than saying "Screw you". No clue why you're defending it to this extent.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline dongringo

« Reply #64 on: September 18, 2011, 09:31:18 PM »
Never been a fan of MP. While the other guys have always been humble about their accompolishments, MP has been nothing more than an attention seeker, on and off the albums and in concert. It's called egotistical. Mike Mangini fits in with the overall humility of the band. All is right with DT now.
.......__o
.......\ <,
....( )/ ( )

Offline livehard

« Reply #65 on: September 18, 2011, 09:34:15 PM »
It doesn't mean forget him.

It's a harsher way of saying "Screw him". Which is no different than saying "Screw you". No clue why you're defending it to this extent.

What extent? I dont think Im reaching here.  I just dont think your interpretation is right so therefore Ill say it.  thats all it is. I just think that when someone says "fuck it" it usually means no worries, or forget about it.  When you say fuck you its different, its an insult to the person.  He wasn't insulting him, he was just saying we dont need him.

Online Adami

« Reply #66 on: September 18, 2011, 09:35:57 PM »
It can mean that sure. But given everything else the guy said, it's VERY logical to assume it was an insult.
fanticide.bandcamp.com

Offline MasterShakezula

• Owes H $10
« Reply #67 on: September 18, 2011, 09:42:37 PM »
I can understand why this dude would feel that way about Mike (I don't feel his way; I'm totally cool with Mike doing whatever.  He's his own man.), but the way he expressed his negative emotions was unacceptable, both in general, and by this forum's rules. 

Offline livehard

« Reply #68 on: September 18, 2011, 09:48:36 PM »
Agree to disagree I guess.

Than I'll say it: fuck MP.  DT doesn't need em, I don't like him, and we're all better off w/o him,

Offline lateralus88

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2011, 12:23:37 AM »