Author Topic: The Official Hard Rock / Classic Metal Music Discussion and Memorabilia Thread!  (Read 917478 times)

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I don't think this will surpass DTB for me.  Gonna order it tonight.  :metal

Kade, you said you are just going with the deluxe?

Offline Lowdz

The Primal Fear is up to standard. It sounds like Primal Fear. It helped me clean the bathroom in record time the other day, so that's a bonus  :biggrin:

DT thoughts tomorrow night!!!

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

yeah mate, no reason to get the standard.  I have to ask Jason, if the standard has everthing that is contained on the deluxe, why would you need to get both?
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
So during my lunch break I got the new DT and Avantasia. Now waiting for the working day to end, then send the kids to bed early, tell the wive to watch the whole twilight saga at least twice, lock myself in my room and LISTEN  :metal :metal :metal

Still not decided which one's first but probably going with DT.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Amazon delivered both to me YESTERDAY!!!

Listened to some if Ghostlights on the way in this morning.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Alright, off to do my first listen to The Astonishing. Will let you guys know what I think after it.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
Um yeah... on first listen, Rulebreaker > Delivering the Black.
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Amazon delivered both to me YESTERDAY!!!

Listened to some if Ghostlights on the way in this morning.

They haven't delivered either of mine. They are despatched tho.

Offline Lowdz

Ok, so I'm on my third listen to TA and I'm loving it. It's melodic, camp and glorious. I know it's not going to be Brent's cup of tea as there's not much that will work outside the concept.
Obviously not every single bit is awesome but the whole is a delight.
I love the change of pace, the acoustic parts (yes they sound a bit samey on first listen but some of that will be deliberate), piano, orchestration.
Yes, I've gone full fanboy.
We've already got metal DT, prog DT, hair metal prog DT, whatever the fuck SC was meant to be, so it's good that they've changed it up.
There's some Queen in there, some Savatage even, musical Theater  :biggrin:and I think when viewed this way it makes sense. I Would go to see the show with actors playing the parts in full Phantom mode.

The only criticism? The bloody awful Disney ending where everyone (almost) lives happily ever after. I'll happily be the executioner for Jaime Lannister Darryus.

James kills it.

The metal heads are going to fucking hate it  :lol

I've not touched the Avantasia yet. I yank it's going to be a bit half arsed after this  :

Edit to make chads post look silly! And why the fuck you not heard it yet? I know it's early but... And if we're discussing the album there will be spoilers?
Have you seen Star Wars yet ? People die...

« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 02:56:24 PM by Lowdz »

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Either you're drunk, on a phone, or both.

Don't know what you're talking about, Paul??
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 05:52:06 PM by jingle.boy »
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline Lowdz

Either you're drunk, on a phone, or both.

Thanks for the spoiler too!   :(

Sorry bud  :facepalm:

I can't spoiler the Avantasia. Not a clue what that's about  :biggrin:

Offline Kwyjibo

• Worse troll than Blabbermouth
So my kids and my wife had other plans and therefore I've only listened to the first side of TA. First impression is good but this is a lot to take in. And this is definitely not a song oriented record. I think most of the songs don't work on their own.

Hopefully I find the time tomorrow to listen to the whole thing.

Heard some songs of the new Avantasia on my drive home, not the whole thing, but this record seems to deliver too.
Must've been Kwyji sending all the wrong songs.   ;D

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

This seems to be a common opinion, which is promising for me.

The metal heads are going to fucking hate it  :lol

I hope you're exaggerating.

To be honest, I'm heading out today to get the DT, but to be 100% honest, I'm really not that interested in putting time into this at the moment.  It's hard for me at the moment to get a solid couple of hours of leisure time, and the comments have been turning me off.  Although it's something I want to listen to on a whole and try and absorb it and really try and get into, I have a feeling I'll be on Brent's page. 

You know, I might not even listen to it right away, might wait for the right time.  :eek

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

yeah mate, no reason to get the standard.  I have to ask Jason, if the standard has everthing that is contained on the deluxe, why would you need to get both?

There are just a handful of bands that I will always get both their regular and deluxe editions, no matter what.  Ridiculous, I know.  But Primal Fear is one of those bands.

Does anyone know the very short Coles notes of what the storyline is on TA?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

There are just a handful of bands that I will always get both their regular and deluxe editions, no matter what.  Ridiculous, I know.  But Primal Fear is one of those bands.

Does anyone know the very short Coles notes of what the storyline is on TA?

Cool mate, I use to do that too, but don't anymore just because of funds.

And yeah, in regards to TA, I've been trying to look for a basic plot outline too.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm sure its been stated somewhere on the DT side, but yeah I just want to find the basic plot

This white screen is weirding me out.

Offline Lowdz

There's a track by track explanation on the DT webpage I think. It showed up on my Facebook page earlier. As my physical copy hasn't arrived yet it cleared things up a bit. Split the ending a bit as the first couple of plays thru I kinda worked out what was going on but not the ending.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I changed it right away.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I changed it right away.

how do you do that?

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
https://www.dreamtheater.net/theastonishing

Wow, you can stream the whole album on that page.

New Soto track.  Pretty much the same vibe as the first album, pretty modern, not bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lAZCUVQjHag

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I changed it right away.

how do you do that?

Go profile, then down a bit and hover over the modify profile tab and then go look and layout.  I still use the Black Clouds one.  Love the dark background and it doesn't hurt my eyes.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni

I changed it right away.

how do you do that?

Go profile, then down a bit and hover over the modify profile tab and then go look and layout.  I still use the Black Clouds one.  Love the dark background and it doesn't hurt my eyes.

copy, thanks brother!

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Edit to make chads post look silly! And why the fuck you not heard it yet? I know it's early but... And if we're discussing the album there will be spoilers?
Have you seen Star Wars yet ? People die...

I don't know what you're talking about pal.   :biggrin:

And I went out tonight to get a physical copy, so I could follow along with the lyrics for my first listen.  Will be listening momentarily.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
I don't agree with this. But Rulebreaker is very good.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
Bleh, I remember when I could go to GMD to get away from this stuff.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
HMV had lots of Dream Theater, but not surprisingly had jack squat for Primal Fear. Will arrive next week through trusty Amazon

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
HMV had lots of Dream Theater, but not surprisingly had jack squat for Primal Fear. Will arrive next week through trusty Amazon

Two of the three HMV's in my area were sold out of DT, the third never even had any.  I got lucky and found a Wal-Mart with copies - $15 too.  $13 for Avantasia, and no luck with PF or Serenity.  It'll be digital download for those.

Offline Lowdz

Biggest complaint with the Astonishing so far? What dickhead put white writing with a background of white clouds on the back cover? Fuckwit!

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
There is some good stuff on The Astonishing, but I have the exact same opinion of it as I do Nostradamus by Judas Priest. And I will state that there isn't one song from either Priest or Dream Theater that I dislike in their entire discography.

But like Nostradamus, and let's call a spade a spade, The Astonishing is a bit of a snooze fest and somewhat of a chore to get through in its entirety.

But I definitely enjoy some of the tunes, but overall I find it too long and slow.

I know that this will end up just being a once a year courtesy listen for me, just out of respect for DT

And I can safely say that Images & Words has nothing to worry about in regards to losing its number one ranking.

After being extremely impressed with DT12, I am overall disappointed with this one

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Biggest complaint with the Astonishing so far? What dickhead put white writing with a background of white clouds on the back cover? Fuckwit!

And that the booklet is glued to the sleeve.   >:(

Still haven't plowed thru disc 2 yet. 

Offline Lowdz

There is some good stuff on The Astonishing, but I have the exact same opinion of it as I do Nostradamus by Judas Priest. And I will state that there isn't one song from either Priest or Dream Theater that I dislike in their entire discography.

But like Nostradamus, and let's call a spade a spade, The Astonishing is a bit of a snooze fest and somewhat of a chore to get through in its entirety.

But I definitely enjoy some of the tunes, but overall I find it too long and slow.

I know that this will end up just being a once a year courtesy listen for me, just out of respect for DT

And I can safely say that Images & Words has nothing to worry about in regards to losing its number one ranking.

After being extremely impressed with DT12, I am overall disappointed with this one

I know what you mean jj. Taken as a DT album you're right, but I realised long ago it wasn't going to be a regular DT album and reset my expectations accordingly. I certainly didn't know if I'd like it but I really love it for what it is, not dislike it for what it isn't.
A bit like KISS the Elder. Shit KISS album, cool odd concept album.

It is a change of pace for DT. But one I was ready for. And it was brave as fuck.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
The Elder is a good comparison too. And I actually view The Elder the exact same way too as Nostadamus and now, TA. I enjoy it, but it's not a go to album. Just find it slow and plodding.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

And that the booklet is glued to the sleeve.   >:(

Still haven't plowed thru disc 2 yet.

Got my copy and couldn't fucking believe this.  What a joke, fucking roadrunner!

Haven't listened to it yet and I just got home from the weekend and bed in half an hour, and have to get up at 4.  Not sure when I'll squeeze a listen in.

Offline jjrock88

• DTF.org Alumni
I'm interested to see what Wolf thinks of it