Author Topic: Your Controversial Opinions on DT  (Read 999196 times)

Offline rumborak

• DT.net Veteran
Re: Your Controversial Opinions on DT
« Reply #2625 on: December 18, 2013, 01:16:55 PM »
bruthahood... bruthahood...

Ah yes, the part that ruins the song.

:lol There are certainly more parts of the song that ruin it, but that portion is cringe-inducing.

"Strength and dignataaaaay"  "Dignity!!"

INVENTORY!!!
"I liked when Myung looked like a women's figure skating champion."

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #2626 on: December 18, 2013, 01:26:31 PM »

Not liking it a lot =/= not liking it at all. Pls read.

I read you saying you really don't like the way they sound now. If you really don't like something, then you might as well say you dislike it, or not like it at all.

Only a Sith deals in absolutes.

YOU GOT A PROBLEM WITH THAT? 
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline TheGreatPretender

• The Second Dancing Turtle
  • You are reading these words.
« Reply #2627 on: December 18, 2013, 01:57:22 PM »
It became so much worse once I heard the stems, and I listened to the vocals by themselves with full clarity of those horrible backups. Now I can't unhear them.

Where can I hear this?

The stems were a part of the BC&SL Limited Edition Box Set.
"How's that for a slice of fried gold?"

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2628 on: December 18, 2013, 03:14:34 PM »
Oh god I shouldn't have ever youtube'd the AROP stem  :lol So glad they got rid of those Portnoy vocals.

« Reply #2629 on: December 18, 2013, 03:57:00 PM »
Oh god I shouldn't have ever youtube'd the AROP stem  :lol So glad they got rid of those Portnoy vocals.

But they didn't... Those vocals are still there. I WISH they'd gotten rid of them.

Offline jakepriest

« Reply #2630 on: December 18, 2013, 04:09:03 PM »
I obviously meant that in terms of the post-Portnoy albums... why you gotta nitpick everything I'll never know.

« Reply #2631 on: December 18, 2013, 04:10:31 PM »
I obviously meant that in terms of the post-Portnoy albums... why you gotta nitpick everything I'll never know.

Sorry!  :blush I honestly didn't realize what you meant!

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2632 on: December 18, 2013, 04:41:26 PM »
Illumination Theory is amazing. What are you guys smoking? While I do agree the Disney section is kind of random and kind of kills the momentum, it's still a beautiful section, and the rest of the song is brilliant as well.

There are no parts of DT12 that make me think, "what were they thinking" or "this is unnecessary".

« Reply #2633 on: December 18, 2013, 04:45:54 PM »
There are no parts of DT12 that make me think, "what were they thinking" or "this is unnecessary".

Amen!

Online ReaperKK

• Sweeter After Difficulty
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2634 on: December 18, 2013, 05:26:09 PM »

Amen!

Third.

The first time I thought that in a long time.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #2635 on: December 18, 2013, 05:47:23 PM »

Amen!

Third.

The first time I thought that in a long time.
Give that man a cookie!

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2636 on: December 18, 2013, 05:50:16 PM »
DT12 is a concise album (aside from IT of course) so it's not like the songs needed trimming, just that the production is abysmal and most of the songs weren't really that good to begin with <.<;

« Reply #2637 on: December 18, 2013, 05:53:37 PM »
DT12 is a concise album (aside from IT of course) so it's not like the songs needed trimming, just that the production is abysmal and most of the songs weren't really that good to begin with <.<;
Well, you're in the right thread.

Offline Crow

• Holy Guide of the 4/10
  • DTF.org Member
  • tdjghjjkhliòujoàupougjyufkuyrkuyt
« Reply #2638 on: December 18, 2013, 05:58:57 PM »
The only songs that don't have production issues off the top of my head are EM and AFtR, and only one of those is somewhat interesting anyways.

« Reply #2639 on: December 18, 2013, 06:01:26 PM »
Don't know what you're talking about. It's a fantastic sounding album.

Offline MonagFam

« Reply #2640 on: December 18, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »
The only songs that don't have production issues off the top of my head are EM and AFtR, and only one of those is somewhat interesting anyways.

Curious what the issues are that you are hearing.  Not agreeing/disagreeing, just wanted you to expand.

Offline Rodni Demental

« Reply #2641 on: December 18, 2013, 06:19:50 PM »
I think Illumination Theory is a near perfect representation of everything Dream Theater does well (including the silence  :lol). I won't claim everything in this song is the best they're ever done, but it's all reflective of their many different styles and influences and it's done well. The song may not stay the same for very long but I don't expect as much repetition in their 'epic' tracks, it's more about the musical journey.

« Reply #2642 on: December 18, 2013, 06:23:48 PM »
The song may not stay the same for very long
That's one of the best aspects of Dream Theater's music, and what defines Progressive music for me.

Offline 425

« Reply #2643 on: December 18, 2013, 07:49:46 PM »
I'll just throw this thought out yet again since we were discussing AROP. I love everything MP has done vocally on a DT record. It excites me to hear his voice as another one in the mix and it's one of the things I miss most on the last two albums. I also happen to think he's super creative when it comes to backing vocal parts. Also AROP is a killer song, and "DIGNITY! OY!" is one of the highlights along with the chorus and iPod solo. So sue me.
And if spirit's a sign,
Then it's only a matter of time

Offline son_ov_hades

« Reply #2644 on: December 18, 2013, 08:00:06 PM »
I think MP has orchestrated this whole thing, he once said that mangini would be the only one that could have replaced him.  DT have done there thing, and so has MP, he's basically having his five year hiatus. MM is used to being a hired gun and can clearly make a living when he is indeed replaced once again by MP. The notoriety that MM will get from the DT thing will (has) thrown him into the stratosphere of drumming. So MM will have that. We are being fed a shit ton of DT related stuff right now, SR, DT, LALP, JR solo stuff, LMR, and a possible JP solo album.  So after all that my controversial opinion on DT, is that .....they will be taking a break and the the next incarnation of the band will include MP.

I personally believe that MM was put up for the job by the NSA.  MM is a government shill whose primary job is to find out whether JM (who has been a person of interest to the CIA for several decades) has any terrorist sympathies.  Once that is figured out, MM will fake his own death and assume a new identity as a gas station attendant in Alabama, at which point MP will re-join DT.

Mangini is the Edward Snowden of Dream Theater
"Ok, these guys are only catering to the hardcore fanbase that already bought the $8000 meet and greet package complete with signed LaBrie eye patch"

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #2645 on: December 18, 2013, 09:44:31 PM »
Illumination Theory is amazing. What are you guys smoking? While I do agree the Disney section is kind of random and kind of kills the momentum, it's still a beautiful section, and the rest of the song is brilliant as well.

They actually went too far in the opposite direction if anything. Aside from IT, there's not much on the album that really wows me. I think they needed to develop the ideas more.
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2646 on: December 19, 2013, 01:20:20 PM »

FAS, Enigma Machine, Enemy Inside (JR solo), IT... all have the "what were they thinking" moments :rollin
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

« Reply #2647 on: December 19, 2013, 01:37:36 PM »
FAS, Enigma Machine, Enemy Inside (JR solo), IT... all have the "what were they thinking" moments :rollin
If you're gonna be that picky, then there isn't a single DT album where they DON'T have moments like that. And usually more of them.

Offline Zook

• Evil Incarnate
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take My Hand
« Reply #2648 on: December 19, 2013, 04:34:56 PM »

It should be expected of JR to do the cooky stuff, but really, what's in The Enemy Inside that isn't in, say Scenes from a Memory? If there's one thing that wasn't necessary in Enigma Machine, I guess it would be the slow Tuscany section, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

I don't know, DT12 has so many people divided, I just don't understand. It's a great album, with no filler, goofy vocals, or disco or blatant rip offs. The Looking Glass has the Limelight inspired riff, but it isn't an exact copy, and at least it's an inspiration from a band that doesn't suck, i.e. Muse... Oh excuse me, I mean, a band that I don't care for at all.

« Reply #2649 on: December 19, 2013, 05:43:02 PM »
I don't know, DT12 has so many people divided, I just don't understand.

Yeah, I'm really surprised that it's such a polarizing album. I mean, personally, I'm a wankery hound, so yeah, I would've been happy as hell if the album was super technical and went all over the place, but as it stands, it's in the very nice middle ground with some parts of it still taking unexpected twists all the while still having a very solid and well implemented musical structure. In that manner, it's kind of like combining the tameness of FII with the musical freedom of SFAM. Yet some people are saying that it's DT's worst album, and not even in that "it's still awesome just not as awesome as the rest" way, they really don't like it, and I find that absolutely ridiculous.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2650 on: December 19, 2013, 06:01:30 PM »
I'm fascinated by the polarity as well. Ah well. That's part of what makes DT fans so interesting.

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2651 on: December 19, 2013, 06:10:15 PM »
It should be expected of JR to do the cooky stuff, but really, what's in The Enemy Inside that isn't in, say Scenes from a Memory? If there's one thing that wasn't necessary in Enigma Machine, I guess it would be the slow Tuscany section, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with it.

The intro (trying to be heavy as fck but failing, just cheesy), 1:40 and the slow part  :-*
« Last Edit: December 19, 2013, 06:16:15 PM by Outcrier »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #2652 on: December 19, 2013, 06:15:38 PM »
It should be expected of JR to do the cooky stuff, but really, what's in The Enemy Inside that isn't in, say Scenes from a Memory?

Don't know, for me, these parts always sounded that they fits in the songs of SFAM or SDOIT (not counting the superior songwriting), unlike now.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2653 on: December 19, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »

I don't know, DT12 has so many people divided, I just don't understand. It's a great album, with no filler, goofy vocals, or disco or blatant rip offs. The Looking Glass has the Limelight inspired riff, but it isn't an exact copy, and at least it's an inspiration from a band that doesn't suck, i.e. Muse... Oh excuse me, I mean, a band that I don't care for at all.

I don't rate an album by a DTF checklist of do's and dont's, I judge it for the quality of the music.

« Reply #2654 on: December 19, 2013, 08:11:43 PM »
I don't rate an album by a DTF checklist of do's and dont's, I judge it for the quality of the music.

Which in DT12's case is phenomenal.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2655 on: December 19, 2013, 08:18:41 PM »

Which in DT12's case is phenomenal.

Not for me it's not. It has a few great tracks and amazing moments, but the rest doesn't interest me much at all. I'd rank it near the bottom of their discography.

« Reply #2656 on: December 19, 2013, 08:19:26 PM »
Not for me it's not. It has a few great tracks and amazing moments, but the rest doesn't interest me much at all. I'd rank it near the bottom of their discography.

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #2657 on: December 19, 2013, 08:20:06 PM »

Well that's just, like, your opinion, man.

And that's just like your opinion, man. Wanna fight about it?

Nah, neither do I. :D

Offline sneakyblueberry

• put me in coach
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #2658 on: December 19, 2013, 09:44:42 PM »
DT made a mistake not letting MP back in the band. Anyone said that?

Offline adastra

« Reply #2659 on: December 19, 2013, 10:51:49 PM »
DT made a mistake not letting MP back in the band. Anyone said that?

TRUE!
Stay by my side / as I fade / so you can point to the end of my struggle /and the twilight of eternal days / at the low, dark edge of life.