Author Topic: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Countdown has begun!!)  (Read 27755 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Jump? :lol

No.   :lol

That did make my list, but only just.  Again, the solo is the reason it made the list.  Short, well crafted and a really nice key change going into it.  I see Eddie in the film clip every time I hear that solo too.

Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

As I said though, everyone will puke at my number 1, but I can't escape it, just always fucking loved it.

I'm predicting right now that your #1 will be on everyone's list.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Here's my breakdown;

VH - 7
VH2 - 3
WACF - 5
FW - 3
DD - 2
1984 - 5
5150 - 4
OU812 - 2
FUCK - 7
Balance - 5
VH3 - 1
Best of - 1
ADKOT - 5

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

As I said though, everyone will puke at my number 1, but I can't escape it, just always fucking loved it.

Oh, I definitely would expect it to be.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Actually, there's two others in the top 10 that might make people puke more, I'm interested in my rankings and where a lot of the songs fall with others (if at all).

Online HOF

I’m predicting that we have the same #1.

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son

I’m predicting that we have the same #1.
I have a sneaking suspicion that mine is the same #1 as well...
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
I know for a fact my number one will not be in everyone’s list.
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Re: Official top 50 Van Halen songs thread!! (Top 50 will start soon!)
« Reply #429 on: May 01, 2022, 06:55:06 PM »
Hoping to start this tomorrow.  I will add the last few submissions that were sent this weekend when I was out of town, tally them up, and away we will go.

No more lists.  :biggrin:

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Kev, how long is the flight from Nashville to St. Louis, or did you drive?
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
We drove (and it was technically to Cross Plains, TN, which is like 20 miles or so north of Nashville).  About 4 1/2 hours each way, give or take. 

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
We drove (and it was technically to Cross Plains, TN, which is like 20 miles or so north of Nashville).  About 4 1/2 hours each way, give or take.

Gotcha! Geez, we stayed over for a night about 20 miles north of Nashville on a trip from Disney to Chicago back in 2010.

I remember running out to the package store while my wife was at the hotel room with the kids, and I was praying I wouldn't be killed while I was out. :lol

• DTF.org Member
What's the next artist song ranking going to be, so I can get a head start on it?  :biggrin: :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.

Offline jammindude

What's the next artist song ranking going to be, so I can get a head start on it?  :biggrin: :corn

PLEASE BE IRON MAIDEN!!!!

Top 100!!!!!
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

• DTF.org Member

Top 100!!!!!
I'd definitely be down with that!
aka Puppies_On_Acid

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Top 100!!!!!

If only for Kev posting.,,

No more lists.  No more lists. No more lists. No more lists. No more lists. No more lists.
 No more lists. No more lists. No more lists. No more lists. No more lists. No more lists.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Top 100!!!!!
I'd definitely be down with that!

This.

Kev, give the people what they want!!

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

No more lists.  No more lists. No more lists. No more lists. No more lists. No more lists.
 No more lists. No more lists. No more lists. No more lists. No more lists. No more lists.

That would make a good Iron Maiden lyric for sure
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline Deadeye21

• 30 years say we’re in this together
Maiden would be a great one, or Metallica. Or maybe Def Leppard?
Let's go with a P for Deadeye has premature alphabetejaculation.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Def Leppard??

Here’s my list

High n Dry
On Through The Night
Half of Pyromania
Hysteria B Sides

I can scratch out 30 songs tops.

Offline KevShmev

• EZBoard Elder
Def Leppard ain't happening on my watch. :lol

Iron Maiden will be next...

That said, the VH countdown will kick off shortly.

I want to give props to all 16 who submitted lists.  Thanks again for participating!  :tup :tup

The top 50 will be based off of the lists from the 17 posters:

WilliamMunny
HOF
hefdaddy42
TAC
Trav86
Deadeye21
Stadler
The Realm
devieira73
Dream Team
WardySI
DragonAttack
FreezingPoint
Puppies_On_Acid
bl5150
wolfking
KevShmev

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Yay Brent!!

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Def Leppard??

Here’s my list

High n Dry
On Through The Night
Half of Pyromania
Hysteria B Sides

HAHA, I think our lists would be identical.   :)

Offline WilliamMunny

• Generation Mixtape
Def Leppard??

Here’s my list

High n Dry
On Through The Night
Half of Pyromania
Hysteria B Sides

I'd be so in on that!!!

Damn near all of Hysteria ("Gods of War" for the win)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Yay Brent!!

VERY last minute decision but yes.............I did the 500 questions or so on the generator on April 30 and would've liked the time to relisten/reorder a lot of it .  I wasn't entirely happy with the order but just hit send.  It's many years since I listened to anything much , let alone VH but they were such a massive part of my life , I thought I should have a go.

When I was in doubt I thought back to what I loved as a kid (so some weird surprises possibly) so it's been rated more on lifetime influence than current listening choice , as that was easier to do quickly.  Like Kade - in some cases as a guitar player I was rating focused on the guitar work as much , if not more , than the overall song.  I would often listen to songs and almost block out everything except the guitar if it was that good.  The exception might be some of the better guitar songs on ADKOT as I struggled too much with Dave's straining vocals in many cases and that album hasn't had as much time to become an influence .  Alex VH was also so unique that from time to time it might drums that got a song over the line too , which is unusual for me.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2022, 05:16:49 PM by bl5150 »
"I would just like to say that after all these years of heavy drinking, bright lights and late nights, I still don't need glasses. I drink right out of the bottle." - DLR

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
That's awesome Brent. Can't wait to see your picks. Alex was tremendous.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yay Brent!!

VERY last minute decision but yes.............I did the 500 questions or so on the generator on April 30 and would've liked the time to relisten/reorder a lot of it .  I wasn't entirely happy with the order but just hit send.  It's many years since I listened to anything much , let alone VH but they were such a massive part of my life , I thought I should have a go.

When I was in doubt I thought back to what I loved as a kid (so some weird surprises possibly) so it's been rated more on lifetime influence than current listening choice , as that was easier to do quickly.  Like Kade - in some cases as a guitar player I was rating focused on the guitar work as much , if not more , than the overall song.  I would often listen to songs and almost block out everything except the guitar if it was that good.  The exception might be some of the better guitar songs on ADKOT as I struggled too much with Dave's straining vocals in many cases and that album hasn't had as much time to become an influence .  Alex VH was also so unique that from time to time it might drums that got a song over the line too , which is unusual for me.

Good to hear I'm not alone on that aspect, even for an old time fan like yourself, makes me more confident on my list and opinion on the band as a whole.  I thought maybe I was just missing something but it seems Eddie holds most of the weight when it comes to VH. I totally se and relate to that.

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni
Another big part of DLR era Van Halen for me was the sense of humour/cheek and that's probably something you either rate or don't (or had to be there).........both with Dave and also in Ed's guitar work.  Sammy's songs on the other hand mostly fall flat for me when they try to do the same thing as it usually feels forced  .........Spanked didn't make it sorry  :lol

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Another big part of DLR era Van Halen for me was the sense of humour/cheek and that's probably something you either rate or don't (or had to be there).........both with Dave and also in Ed's guitar work.  Sammy's songs on the other hand mostly fall flat for me when they try to do the same thing as it usually feels forced  .........Spanked didn't make it sorry  :lol

So you didn't call the Spank Line?

Offline bl5150

• DTF.org Alumni

I didn't say that :heybaby:

www.theguitardojo.com.au

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

I didn't say that

;D

I knew that was coming.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni

I think this may be the kicker for me. 

I still haven't listened to the lyrics of Spanked but I love the groove and tempo of it.  I'm probably not going to look the lyrics up though lol.

Offline TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Kev must still be at the barbershop... I mean, that was a LOT of hair. :lol