Author Topic: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Final Results (finally) - thank you for playing :)  (Read 97663 times)

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 8 Results Pt. 1
« Reply #1540 on: February 17, 2019, 03:49:01 AM »
I don't think I've seen a single Will Farrel film.  From what I've seen I just don't think he's funny at all.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #1541 on: February 17, 2019, 04:35:03 AM »
And I repeat: Elf is not funny. People need to stop spreading the lie that it is.

Does somebody need a hug?

Well, I'm flunking right out of this roulette  :sadpanda:

I know that feeling :neverusethis:
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
« Reply #1542 on: February 17, 2019, 09:50:13 AM »
Well so far my scores look ok compared.....
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • PSA: Stairway to Heaven is in 4/4
« Reply #1543 on: February 17, 2019, 10:06:18 AM »
Sometimes experimentation works... sometimes not. Part 2!

Evermind

Soulspell - Into the Arc of Time (Haamiah's Fall) 6.5
   Jon Oliva isn't bad on this but I struggle with finding a really good melody or something memorable here. Maybe it's better in the context of the album, if this is a conceptual metal opera? I keep trying to click with this one but sadly I'm struggling.

Amadeus Awad - Lonesome Clown 9.4

This is fantastic. I thought Amadeus Awad was the name of one person, not a group. Hearing Anneke was a lovely surprise. Yeah, this song is awesome. Powerful, impressive lyrics with memorable vocal lines and of course an enchanting delivery by Anneke. The instrumental part is delightful. I could do without the last minute or so with the narration, otherwise this is an excellent song, dig it. [+1 BP]

Steam Powered Giraffe - Brass Goggles 7.6
   Um. Okay, wow. Vaudevillian steampunk robots singing about being robots. This is just... so... weird. This isn't something I'd ever willingly play in my free time, but honestly, they're so good at pulling off the gimmick that it's hard to knock them for leaning so hard into it. I appreciate the effort and creativity that went into this - I really struggled with scoring this but I think that's the best it's gonna get. I love experimentation, but of course it's always a gamble with the score.

Current Score: 58.69 [+9 BP]
Round 8 Score: 23.50 [+1 BP]
Average: 7.83~
Movement: 8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 66.52 [+10 BP]

Stadler

Red Rider - Lunatic Fringe 9.2
   Okay, this sounds too familiar, I've probably heard this a hundred times on classic rock radio (the riff, the organ, the way he says the title, now I'm sure I've heard this a lot). I dig this though - a lot. Gives me Alan Parsons, Pink Floyd vibes. It's got swagger, and I'm able to crank this one up on my monitors and really hear everything breathe because the recording isn't hot as hell. Really fun rocker, this is my jam. [+1 BP]

Journey - Only the Young 9.0

First, Frontiers annoys the hell out of me - Separate Ways is a bad song with less than great vocals from Steve Perry, but this song is exactly the sound I like from Journey. Chipper and upbeat and not heavy so much as it is pushing forward and catchy. Love that simple hook. Great song, I enjoy 80s cheese when it hits the sweet spot like this. [+1 BP]

Billy Joel - The Night Is Still Young 8.4
   I'm not familiar with too many artists like Billy Joel but I want to be. I get a big Bruce Hornsby (& The Range) vibe from this track, but maybe that's just the 80s production... This is good though. Smart and smooth songwriting, and it's more rocking than I expected from BJ.

Current Score: 58.69 [+5 BP]
Round 8 Score: 26.60 [+2 BP]
Average: 8.86
Movement: 9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 67.55 [+7 BP]

Sacul

Hooverphonic - 2Wicky 9.0
   My kind of chill - this is the kind of song I look for when I play random 'chill' music on Spotify. She has a lovely voice that pairs so well with the beat. Love the transition when she goes higher and the fuzzy guitar enters. Great song. [+1 BP]

2. Bohren & der Club of Gore - Painless Steel 9.2

Gorgeous, simply gorgeous, I love to play this with all the lights off and curtains drawn. Simultaneously dreary and beautiful. Don't have many pieces like this in my collection but it's exactly what I like. The ethereal synth atmosphere is good as it is but the saxophone is exactly what it needs to put it over the top. [+1 BP]

Goldfrapp - Stranger 7.7
   "Inoffensive." That's always the word I come back to for something like this - doesn't make much of a splash, but doesn't bother me at all. I like it, and it's super easy to chill to, but it doesn't make the playlist.

Current Score: 59.57 [+8 BP]
Round 8 Score: 25.90 [+2 BP]
Average: 8.63
Movement:  9 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 68.20 [+10 BP]
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.
"I don't worry about nothing, no, 'cause worrying's a waste of my time"

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 8 Results Pt. 2
« Reply #1544 on: February 17, 2019, 10:24:00 AM »
I really liked Goldfrapp though.

And Katt, I hope you'll take this in stride, but I'm really just throwing some different shit at you with no second thoughts. As I've no hope to actually do well in this roulette, I may as well send random stuff I don't usually get to send. Although wow, I didn't expect Soulspell to tank.

Next round might be tricky... I'm about to sign off and go to sleep, and tomorrow I'm getting up early for my vacation flight. I'll try to send you something from Hamburg as soon as I can.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1545 on: February 17, 2019, 10:27:27 AM »
I really liked Goldfrapp though.

And Katt, I hope you'll take this in stride, but I'm really just throwing some different shit at you with no second thoughts. As I've no hope to actually do well in this roulette, I may as well send random stuff I don't usually get to send. Although wow, I didn't expect Soulspell to tank.

Next round might be tricky... I'm about to sign off and go to sleep, and tomorrow I'm getting up early for my vacation flight. I'll try to send you something from Hamburg as soon as I can.

Hey, I think I've enjoyed most of the submissions from everybody who's played in the game, so the places don't really mean anything tbh, at least to me. I actually really want people to send 'different shit' with no second thoughts. I've noticed some people will play it very safe but there's been a lot of really bizarre and fresh stuff sent too, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't. Getting stuff out of left field keeps it interesting and varied  :corn
From a Mega Man Legends island jamming power metal to a Walrus listening to black metal, I like your story arc.

Online Sacul

• Spinettapilled
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • ¿De qué sirvió haber cruzado a nado la mar?
« Reply #1546 on: February 17, 2019, 10:51:57 AM »
Huh I kinda expected Goldfrapp to do better but I'm glad the other two tracks did so well  :metal .

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: February 17, 2019, 11:28:28 AM »
Jungle boi gets his own post because he had 4 songs.

jingle.boy

Consortium Project - Enemy Within 8.8
   Kudos to Chad for stepping up and offering a replacement for a song he felt was unfairly accepted. This is really good. The vocalist is strong and has character, and his tone is just right to my ears. I like the crunchy riff a lot. Doesn't quite hit the highs of that Serious Black song but it's a lot of fun.

Round 6 score: 50.70 [+5 BP]
Round 7 Score: 27.00
Average: 9.00
ADJUSTED SCORE: 59.70 [+5 BP]

---

Danger Angel - All The King's Horses 8.0
   I don't get much out of this one. I wouldn't say it's bad because I like some of the guitar work, especially in the solo. The singer has a good voice, too. Probably couldn't sit through a whole album of this though, if they stick to the midtempo stuff.

W.A.S.P - Hero of the World 9.5

Forgive me if I'm way off base here but the vocals in this remind me SO much of Hansi Kursch from Blind Guardian, specifically Another Stranger Me from A Twist In The Myth. The way he sings the rhythm of the hook, and how he resolves the tension in the melody, it's just fucking perfect and I can't get it out of my head. "Superman from a foreign land / Tyranus with an iron hand" is a silly but awesome lyric that sounds just like Hansi. It's super catchy and it shreds and it's fun. Song of the round.

Ethernity - Obscure Illusions 8.5
   Kelly Carpenter really puts everyone else to shame when you put them side by side. Tom and Mark aren't bad, but I don't know who the fourth voice is. She's okay. So yeah, this song is pretty epic. I really like the solo sections, and a lot of the riffs are good, and there's drama, but there aren't really any memorable vocal parts. The ending doesn't have the payoff I expected after 14 minutes either, but the guitar solo is pretty sweet.

Current Score: 59.70 [+5 BP]
Round 8 Score: 26.00
Average: 8.66~
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 68.36 [+5 BP]

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1548 on: February 17, 2019, 01:09:27 PM »
Giggity.  Totally fair comments on Danger Angel - I just absolutely love the solo'g in that song.  Very glad my re-load song didn't cost too much ground.

Gonna be hard to catch up to Diego.  Even with low-ish (relatively speaking) scores this round, he's still gonna have a strong lead.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 8 RESULTS
« Reply #1549 on: February 17, 2019, 02:23:24 PM »
Updated map coming shortly. A couple of ya'll messed up a bit so I'm going to adjust it for simplicity's sake  :lol

TAC

Gloryful - The Oath 8.5
   Wow, this song only came about a month ago. Fighting for the upper ranks with balls to the wall metal, I see. This sounds like the no-frills side of power metal, and I like it, something like Iron Savior, it's aggressive but melodic where it counts. Production is nice and heavy. Not blowing my mind but it's solid heavy metal.

Dreamtale - Refuge From Reality 9.3

I have a confession: I have had this album since I was a young teen, but other than a couple songs I never felt the urge to revisit it. I regret that because this song kicks ass and I never knew it, even if it does copy 'Dreamland' quite a bit, and that song is on the same album. But it uses female vocals instead of male vocals and takes just enough twists to sound familiar yet unique. It's Stratovarius worship/cloning done the proper way, really. Dreamtale has always sounded super derivative of early Sonata Arctica and Stratovarius (they have one that sounds like a clone of San Sebastian by Sonata, too), but usually it's in their favor. At least, it is for this one.

Frenzy - Shred or Die 7.2
   Huh. Well it shreds. It's just kind of bog standard heavy metal with a funner-than-average solo section. Not bad, but it's about as vanilla as it gets. A song about shredding, and there's alot of it. That's about it...

Current Score: 59.62 [+7 BP]
Round 8 Score: 25.00
Average: 8.33~
Movement:  8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 67.95 [+7 BP]

wolfking

The Ferrymen - End of the Road 7.8
   Not bad... not great. Chorus is underwhelming. Solo shreds. Otherwise it's pretty darn standard metal. Singer has a hell of a voice but doesn't let loose until the last scream which is a shame.

The Poodles - Before I Die 9.2

Fuck yeah. That chorus is epic. Great singer, whoever this is. Love the drum beat, love the audible bass. This song is groovy and catchy. Very strange to hear this metal come from a band named The Poodles but this song kicks my ass.

Place Vendome - Cross the Line 8.5
   So this was Kiske's formal return to rock/metal (excluding Avantasia) is it? Not bad. So, so, so much better than those Helloween 'albums' I don't speak of. This is pretty heavy for rock (at least it sounds produced like a metal album, not rock), but Kiske sounds fantastic. This is a good highway song. Good solo, good energy, good song.

Current Score: 59.49 [+5 BP]
Round 8 Score: 25.50
Average: 8.50
NEW CURRENT SCORE:  67.99 [+5 BP]

Indiscipline

Banco del Mutuo Soccorso - Traccia 2 9.3
   What a pleasant surprise. Reminds me of the Gentle Giant piece a lot. Lovely fusion of classical composition with synthesizers. Part at 1:20 gives me goosebumps. Outside of Gentle Giant I haven't heard anything close to this in this roulette. Super cool music right here. [+1 BP]

Rainbow - Love's No Friend 6.2

Rainbow without Dio is like alcohol-free beer: why?! Sorry, bud - I didn't like this. Without Dio this band just doesn't stand out. Like, it's not terrible per se, but it's not exciting or interesting whatsoever. The singer definitely doesn't fill the shoes Dio stood in.

T-Rex - Children of the Revolution 7.0
   Probably not something I'll get into, but that chorus is catchy in an almost Elton John sort of way. Otherwise, doesn't leave much of an impression. I like that it's short and sweet.

Current Score: 59.18 [+3 BP]
Round 8 Score: 22.50 [+1 BP]
Average: 7.50~
Movement: 8 spaces
NEW CURRENT SCORE: 66.68 [+4 BP]

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Katt's Roulettes & Dragons v. Round 8 RESULTS
« Reply #1550 on: February 17, 2019, 02:43:45 PM »
RESULTS

12. Parama the Owl-Roamer: 8.56 = 8.56
n/a
(appeared as the Mystery Participant and vanished just as quickly)

11. Elite:   8.17 / 7.90 / 7.63 / 9.03 / 9.20 / 8.76 = 50.69
[+5 BP]
(left this mortal plane via dragonfire)

10. Puppies_On_Acid:   8.73 / 8.37 / 9.43 / 8.67 / 7.76 / 8.06 / 8.23 / 6.90 = 66.15 [+4 BP]
Down 3
Move 7

9. Evermind:   7.63 / 7.23 / 9.10 / 9.03 / 9.20 / 7.70 / 8.80 / 7.83 = 66.52 [+10 BP]
Up 1
Move 8

8. Indiscipline:   8.06 / 7.13 / 8.93 / 8.77 / 8.40 / 8.63 / 9.26 / 7.50 = 66.68 [+4 BP]
n/a
Move 9

7. Stadler:   8.67 / 8.33 / 8.76 / 7.83 / 9.30 / 7.30 / 8.50 / 8.86 = 67.55 [+7 BP]
Up 3
Move 9

6. kingshmegland:   8.37 / 8.03 / 8.80 / 9.00 / 8.76 / 8.10 / 8.66 / 8.10 = 67.82 [+7 BP]
Down 3
Move 8

5. TAC:   7.46 / 8.57 / 9.20 / 9.00 / 8.00 / 8.96 / 8.43 / 8.33 = 67.95 [+7 BP]
Down 1
Move 8

4. wolfking:   8.40 / 8.43 / 9.43 / 8.63 / 7.80 / 8.50 / 8.30 / 8.50 = 67.99 [+5 BP]
Up 2
Move 8

3. Sacul:   7.50 / 8.40 / 8.60 / 9.27 / 9.10 / 8.20 / 8.50 / 7.63 = 68.20 [+10 BP]
Up 2
Move 9

2. jingle.boy:   8.47 / 8.57 / 8.73 / 9.23 / 8.60 / 7.10 / 9.00 / 8.66 = 68.36 [+5 BP]
n/a
Move 9

1. Nekov:   8.53 / 8.27 / 8.90 / 9.50 / 8.86 / 7.83 / 9.66 / 8.06 = 69.61 [+10 BP]
n/a
Move 8

Okay. Nekov, Sacul, wolfking - since you're moving toward the last clef and are (just barely) on the last map, this is where you are for round 9. You can take these challenges for the next round, or not. Your call! Whatever you score in round 9, you'll be on the final map, so take a look ahead and see if there's a particular bonus challenge you want to take.

Everyone else: this is where you landed after round 8. For round 9, take your movement score from this round's results, and find a panel to land on. I purposely made the final area open, so you can fenagle your way into almost any panel you want. Find one within your number of moves, let me know, and send the appropriate songs. 2 rounds left.

The colored spaces indicate the following challenges:

Green: Elves! Forest theme. Bonus points for no distorted guitars, folk and stringed instruments, soft percussion, and lyrics about nature.

Brown: Dwarves! Earth theme. Bonus points for songs about drinking, songs that rock hard, or a song with a super tight and heavy rhythm section.

Blue: Pirates! Water theme. Bonus points for songs about the sea, traveling on water, drinking, or all things pirate-related.

Red: Dragons! Fire theme. Bonus points for music that is really fast, heavy, epic, and/or about dragons and fire.

Pink: Three songs from an artist I have never heard before (nothing on RYM, a significant lack of listens on Last.FM, consult with me if unsure)
Purple: Three songs from different decades.
Orange: Three songs from the same decade.
Yellow: Three songs from the same year.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I see Chad shits it in with someone else's band again!  ;D

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns

Bet he sends Theocracy next! ;D
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni

Bet he sends Theocracy next! ;D

I'll take that bet!

@ Kade... you had plenty of chances to send 'em yourself!   :P  Claim a moral victory (as I've done many time in roulettes)  ;D

Offline King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
You might need to give me a day or two to submit for round 9. I came down with the flu and am not feeling well enough to put something together at the moment, but I will get something to you.
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Take your time and get well ASAP dude; I know Evermind's going on vacation in Hamburger land like right now too but hopefully he can get something in.

Offline King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
I went through that 10 days ago. I didn't look at my phone that much.
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
Katt, don't COMPLETELY disregard Rainbow without Dio.    First, "Love's No Friend" may be the second worst song on that record ("Since You Been Gone" takes that honor), and second, there is so much tasty stuff in the JLT years. 

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Katt, don't COMPLETELY disregard Rainbow without Dio.    First, "Love's No Friend" may be the second worst song on that record ("Since You Been Gone" takes that honor), and second, there is so much tasty stuff in the JLT years.

Which makes it an obvious choice to send in a roulette?? :lol

I would've sent Lost In Hollywood.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Not my best round but I got to keep the lead. I'll send both round 9 and 10 later today.
When Ginobili gets hot, I get hot in my pants. 

Offline Indiscipline

• Ponce
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Apply IMO --->
I knew it was the turd one!

Anyway, disappointment for Rainbow sinking is completely subsided by Banco enjoyment, so happy times.

I'm probably sending a green-themed trifecta tonight, probably featuring some dad's friends again.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!

Which makes it an obvious choice to send in a roulette?? :lol

I would've sent Lost In Hollywood.

Or Makin' Love.  That riff....

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni
Last 2 rounds sent.

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
Take your time and get well ASAP dude; I know Evermind's going on vacation in Hamburger land like right now too but hopefully he can get something in.

Sent!

Offline Nekov

• DTF.org Alumni

Sent!

Are you in the US EV?  :lol

Offline Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
:lol

Nah, I'm in Hamburg.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Evermind sent his so ya'll got no excuses now, though I expect Sacul to send last :hug:  :corn

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
I'll try and send in 12-14 hours.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Sent... after having to re-think/re-load a few times because it would seem I forgot someone else already used bands I had in mind.

Offline wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
Yeah sorry Chad, Serious Black has already been played mate.  ;D

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Hey everyone thanks for playing in this roulette and sticking with it til the end despite the cliffhanger early on and how long this has taken. The whole goal was to just have fun and (for me) to hear an insane number of new artists and the goal was met way early on. This round's shaping up to be an interesting one.

Whatever place ya'll get in the end, the individual scores speak for themselves, I found a ton of stuff to love from everyone. Just wanted to get that out there since Ruslan and Diego are traveling/doing stuff and things are winding down. :2metal:

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
Is this the last round? How many people make it to the finals?

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
Round 10 is the final round. Everyone makes it. I was going to have eliminations earlier but I was getting too much good music and didn't want to cut anyone.  Maybe everyone whose character doesn't reach the final panel gets killed at the end. :lol

If I ever run a third roulette I will force myself to do eliminations even though I don't like it.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
Hey everyone thanks for playing in this roulette and sticking with it til the end despite the cliffhanger early on and how long this has taken. The whole goal was to just have fun and (for me) to hear an insane number of new artists and the goal was met way early on. This round's shaping up to be an interesting one.

Whatever place ya'll get in the end, the individual scores speak for themselves, I found a ton of stuff to love from everyone. Just wanted to get that out there since Ruslan and Diego are traveling/doing stuff and things are winding down. :2metal:

I dunno how you've done it pal... by the time I got to the end of my last roulette, I was pretty fatigued from consuming so much new music - and that was only 8 rounds with 15 submissions.  You're chowing down on upwards of 25-ish new bands every round, and 33 songs.

Offline The Walrus

• goo goo g'joob
  • DTF.org Alumni
I have a voracious musical appetite. I'm still trying to make good on my goal of hearing every album by every band at this year's ProgPower. To be honest it's a way of giving me a big 'to do' list for music, so I'll always have something to dive into now.  :biggrin: