Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 174702 times)

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1365 on: April 24, 2014, 09:19:43 AM »
I still don't get it.

Offline Shadow Ninja 2.0

• Heir Transparent
  • Transcribing Existence Rivets
« Reply #1366 on: April 24, 2014, 09:20:30 AM »
Star Wars?

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1367 on: April 24, 2014, 09:23:55 AM »
Never saw it.

Online Mister Gold

• The Makers of Our Own Destiny
  • Human
« Reply #1368 on: April 24, 2014, 09:26:48 AM »
Never saw it.

Well, to put it in perspective, the effects in those films were to the late 70's and early 80's what Avatar was to the late 00's. You'd love it.
Beyond the limits of the mortal frame
To the farthest boundary of eternity
Where I, the Cosmic Sea
Watch the little ego floating in me.

Offline sueño

• How Dare I Be So Beautiful?
« Reply #1369 on: April 24, 2014, 08:26:36 PM »
"We spend most of our lives convinced we’re the protagonist of the story, but we rarely realize that we’re just supporting characters in everybody else’s story. Nobody thinks about you as much as you do."

Offline Grizz

« Reply #1370 on: April 24, 2014, 09:50:11 PM »
Never saw it.

Well, to put it in perspective, the effects in those films were to the late 70's and early 80's what Avatar was to the late 00's. You'd love it.
Except natural special effects tend to age better than CGI (budget-dependent. See: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV Series, BBC). The non-CGI editions of Star Wars still look gloris.
"I raised the baby, I changed the baby's diapers.  Whenever the baby had projectile diarrhea, I was there in the line of fire.  I even got a little in my mouth!  I sacrificed so much for my baby.  Now my baby hates me and thinks Mike Mangini is its real father!"

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1371 on: April 24, 2014, 09:55:16 PM »
Never saw it.

Except natural special effects tend to age better than CGI (budget-dependent. See: Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy TV Series, BBC). The non-CGI editions of Star Wars still look gloris.

I can't really but into that. Jurassic Park's CGI will forever go down as one of the best accomplishments in the history of movie making. I am aware that Jurassic Park had a bunch of non-cgi stuff too.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1372 on: April 25, 2014, 04:32:05 AM »
Never saw it.

Except Star Wars was considered revolutionary, no?

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
Quote from: bosk1
As frequently happens, Super Dude nailed it.
:superdude:

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1374 on: April 25, 2014, 06:17:37 AM »
Never saw it.

Are you implying Avatar wasn't?

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1375 on: April 25, 2014, 04:08:06 PM »
It really wasn't. Star Wars was the first block buster. It changed the way movies were viewed forever. Avatar has done nothing but bring on another fad of 3D that's already lost its luster and is fading out.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1376 on: April 25, 2014, 04:34:46 PM »
Yeah. Avatar took 4 years to make because it was in 3D.

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1377 on: April 25, 2014, 05:16:30 PM »
Never saw it.

Are you implying Avatar wasn't?

Outside of the heavy use of 3D, which as Implode mentioned never really took off, I didn't find anything in the movie that was considered revolutionary. Just another CGI heavy blockbuster.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1378 on: April 25, 2014, 05:17:43 PM »
Watch the 90 minute making of and report back .

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1379 on: April 25, 2014, 05:22:29 PM »
I won't because I'm wasn't terribly interested in the finished product in the first place.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1380 on: April 25, 2014, 05:34:33 PM »
Then you can't say it wasn't revolutionary when you know nothing about it.

:tup

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1381 on: April 25, 2014, 05:39:03 PM »

I haven't seen the whole doc, but if taking a peek inside the hood is where you have to start in order to figure out what's revolutionary about something, it's probably not revolutionary. You can tell what makes Star Wars great just at face value, it doesn't take any look at the special effects wizardry behind it, even if that is pretty incredible in its own right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1382 on: April 25, 2014, 06:05:52 PM »

Look, if you like Avatar, that's cool.  But there really isn't anything "revolutionary" about it.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1383 on: April 25, 2014, 06:06:11 PM »

Revolutionary would imply a change across all of Hollywood. There hasn't been one as a result of Avatar.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1384 on: April 25, 2014, 06:08:06 PM »
And as also frequently happens...er, I mean...I guess there's a first time for everything, because Orcus nailed it too.  :biggrin:
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1385 on: April 25, 2014, 06:10:39 PM »
I'm going to hang that post on my fridge.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1386 on: April 25, 2014, 06:21:28 PM »
:lol

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1387 on: April 25, 2014, 07:14:27 PM »
Look, if you like Avatar, that's cool.  But there really isn't anything "revolutionary" about it.
This exactly.

Hey, it was a fun experience for the most part.  But revolutionary?
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Online Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1388 on: April 25, 2014, 07:18:28 PM »
I'm with Super Dude, Orcus and Bosk on this. While Avatar certainly instigated the recent 3D fad, to compare it to the original Star Wars film(s) in being revolutionary to the film industry is a stretch.

I can't really but into that. Jurassic Park's CGI will forever go down as one of the best accomplishments in the history of movie making. I am aware that Jurassic Park had a bunch of non-cgi stuff too.

Actually Grizz is spot-on with that statement, Chino. Natural special effects generally will age better than CGI. That's because CGI shares a common issue with a lot of video games; it's always being improved upon. As a result, most CGI effects that look "incredibly realistic" now will end up becoming incredibly obvious CGI five years later. 

Natural special effects, on the other hand, are real/physical. That lends itself to visually holding up down the road... so long as you don't see any of the strings. :biggrin:

I actually just watched Jurassic Park for the first time in years the other day and I noticed that, while the effects were generally awesome, there were also moments where you could really tell it was just CGI. Sure, sometimes it can hold up and have a fair amount of longevity, but it takes a lot more work to pull it off than what most filmmakers do with CGI.
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1389 on: April 25, 2014, 07:19:19 PM »
Well - revolutionary or not - there were brand new cameras and film making techniques invented purely for that movie.

Offline jammindude

« Reply #1390 on: April 25, 2014, 07:20:21 PM »
I wouldn't call it revolutionary....yet.

I think time will tell about 3D.    3D is experiencing a lull because it really *only* looks good when it's done well.   Retro-fits (which is what most movies are) aren't nearly as immersive, and don't look nearly as good.   Whereas something like Avatar (which was actually filmed in 3D) looked really amazing.     For as much as the storyline is massively cookie cutter and contrived, the film actually looks incredible. 

Now, ******IF****** real 3D eventually becomes cheaper to make the correct way, then Avatar will become "revolutionary" by default as being the first film that did it.   
"Better the pride that resides in a citizen of the world.
Than the pride that divides when a colorful rag is unfurled." - Neil Peart

The Jammin Dude Show - https://www.youtube.com/user/jammindude

Offline orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1391 on: April 25, 2014, 07:28:44 PM »
Immersive to me isn't like walking around on a set and looking at actors. Immersive to me is actually giving a shit about what is going on.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1392 on: April 25, 2014, 07:29:34 PM »
i've never seen a retrofitted or post converted 3D film that looked good.

Even James Cameron said that Titanic 3D " wasn't really 3D " because it was converted after the fact.

Post converted 3D just looks like a pop up book and things that are meant to look huge just look tiny.

Best 3D films i've seen :

1.Avatar
2.Prometheus
3.The Hobbit & Desolation of Smaug ( also loved 48fps - but that's a different thread ).
4.Life of Pi - but that was made purely to show off 3D.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1393 on: April 25, 2014, 07:30:30 PM »
Immersive to me isn't like walking around on a set and looking at actors. Immersive to me is actually giving a shit about what is going on.

Also this. 3D is awesome for sci fi but for any other genre it's kind of redundant.

Online Mister Gold

• Human
« Reply #1394 on: April 25, 2014, 07:32:03 PM »

This guy gets it. :tup
Where I, the Cosmic Sea

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1395 on: April 25, 2014, 07:43:15 PM »

Aaaaand sigged. :biggrin:

This guy gets it. :tup

Yep. You really can't oversell how Star Wars, along with the Spielberg films of the time, began a new era of Hollywood films. Before that we had the Silent Era, the Golden Age, and New Hollywood. Star Wars, almost singlehandedly, set off an entire new evolutionary stage in American film history. As in, academics and film historians mark Star Wars as the milestone where the "blockbuster" era begins. More than that, we're only now exiting that stage, almost 40 years later. That's a longer period than the Golden Age itself (1934-1966). As much as Avatar has been a success, it can't quite lay claim to that.

Offline hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1396 on: April 25, 2014, 07:49:13 PM »
I think technically Jaws was the first blockbuster (if you are talking about box office numbers).
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1397 on: April 25, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »
Yes it was.

Offline Super Dude

• Hero of Prog
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #1398 on: April 25, 2014, 08:21:30 PM »
I think technically Jaws was the first blockbuster (if you are talking about box office numbers).

I didn't know that, interesting. Well regardless, it still fits: Lucas and Spielberg jointly kicked off the style of filmmaking that would launch the blockbuster era.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1399 on: April 25, 2014, 09:19:06 PM »
Didn't think about Jaws. Good point. And yes, Avatar probably did cause a lot of money and engineering to go into technology for filming, but it hasn't been revolutionary to culture in the same way that Star Wars was. Movies like Jaws and Star Wars changed what types of movies were made. As far as I can tell, Avatar hasn't.