Author Topic: Avatar  (Read 174015 times)

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
Re: Avatar
« Reply #1540 on: April 14, 2016, 03:06:53 PM »
......sigh.

i'd be happy with 3 movies total. NOT FIVE FFS.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1541 on: April 14, 2016, 03:17:30 PM »
Super happy about this. Before he died, James Horner said that James had four movies worth of scripts and part of the delay was attributed to him trying to cut the scripts without hurting the story. Sounds like he decided to not cut anything.

Offline MrBoom_shack-a-lack

• I hit things for a living!
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1542 on: April 14, 2016, 03:24:22 PM »
Huh  :huh:

5 movies, dude.
LOL Again why are we including the first one when that movie has already been released?
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1543 on: April 14, 2016, 03:33:17 PM »
I don't understand what are you going on about. Care to explain?
Outcrier: Toughest cop on the force.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1544 on: April 14, 2016, 04:04:47 PM »
4 new movies not 5.
"I said to Nigel Tufnel, 'The door is open if you want to do anything on this record,' but it turns out Nigel has a phobia about doors." /Derek Smalls

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1545 on: April 14, 2016, 04:07:40 PM »
:lolpalm:

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1546 on: April 14, 2016, 04:15:46 PM »
 :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

You're joking with me, right?

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1547 on: April 14, 2016, 04:17:05 PM »

Offline Outcrier

« Reply #1548 on: April 14, 2016, 04:21:50 PM »
I know, someone with that "avatar" (:neverusethis:) must be a joker.

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1549 on: April 14, 2016, 04:32:25 PM »
 :lol

Online orcus116

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1550 on: April 14, 2016, 05:55:42 PM »
Maybe this will be a shot a "throw as much against the wall and see what sticks" and maybe we'll get one three dimensional character once all five movies are finally out.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1551 on: April 14, 2016, 07:01:32 PM »
Maybe this will be a shot a "throw as much against the wall and see what sticks" and maybe we'll get one three dimensional character once all five movies are finally out.

Maybe this will be a masterpiece. The fact that all 4 movies are written makes me very optimistic.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1552 on: April 14, 2016, 10:56:33 PM »
I don't really see the problem. If he's got good ideas for these movies them I'm all for it.

Offline PetFish

« Reply #1553 on: April 15, 2016, 12:28:50 AM »
The biggest thing James Cameron has going for him is a fantastic resume.  Are there really any duds?  I can't see any.

I'm assuming we all know how passionate he is about details and doing things right so I have supreme confidence we'll get some amazing movies down the road.

Offline Bolsters

• Lost Boy
  • DTF.org Member
  • What a hell of a day to embrace disorder
« Reply #1554 on: April 15, 2016, 12:39:05 AM »
I wasn't sure if I was going to have the patience for three more of these, but four? The first sequel had better be really good or I probably just won't bother.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1555 on: April 15, 2016, 04:14:45 AM »
I don't really see the problem. If he's got good ideas for these movies them I'm all for it.

This is where I stand. The fact that they've all been written and will be filmed together makes me very optimistic. It's not like he is making a sequel and then two years later decides to make another one that wasn't originally planned.

I'm beyond excited for this. The first generic movie we saw was a great introduction to the Na'vi, their world, and their relationship with humans. Cameron's free to do whatever the hell he wants now, and the fact that he had enough material for four more movies (probably all close to the 3 hour mark) indicates that he's got some awesome story telling up his sleeve. 

Offline Destiny Of Chaos

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1556 on: April 15, 2016, 05:26:44 AM »
Hopefully he can tell better stories than Dances with Smurfs.

I wasn't sure if I was going to have the patience for three more of these, but four? The first sequel had better be really good or I probably just won't bother.

I agree with this. First one was stunning to see in 3D in theaters. Story was kind of weak, but it was an experience. I'll go see the second one, and if it's not interesting, I'll probably be done with the series. That's how the Transformer franchise worked out for me. Loved the first one. Saw Fallen, hated it, and haven't seen anything after that.

Offline Logain Ablar

• False Dragon
« Reply #1557 on: April 15, 2016, 05:41:53 AM »
Hopefully he can tell better stories than Dances with Smurfs.

I agree with this. First one was stunning to see in 3D in theaters. Story was kind of weak, but it was an experience. I'll go see the second one, and if it's not interesting, I'll probably be done with the series. That's how the Transformer franchise worked out for me. Loved the first one. Saw Fallen, hated it, and haven't seen anything after that.

:lol  at "Dances with Smurfs"..

I agree - the first one was an impressive technical experience. It's still probably the best use of 3D I've seen, but the story was just ok, and TBH I didn't get through a second viewing when it was shown on telly.

Not sure whether I have enough interest to go to see the next one or not, never mind 4 more of them.  :)

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1558 on: April 15, 2016, 07:36:12 AM »
Whatever.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1559 on: April 15, 2016, 08:02:40 AM »
Well, I think that IS the problem.  He didn't have any good ideas for the first one.  What makes us think he will for 4 more?  :lol
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
  • Bouncing around the room
« Reply #1560 on: April 15, 2016, 08:43:16 AM »
Well, I think that IS the problem.  He didn't have any good ideas for the first one.  What makes us think he will for 4 more?  :lol

This is pretty much where I stand.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1561 on: April 15, 2016, 08:45:46 AM »
This thread is infuriating.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1562 on: April 15, 2016, 08:50:01 AM »
Not really. Avatar was a fine film on it's own.

Nobody needs 4 more of these things. And i'm a huge James Cameron fan.

This news is infuriating as I don't want him to be remembered as that amazing director who had a colossal hit movie then saw dollar signs for the rest of his career.

I'd rather he did a trilogy ( TOTAL ) then move on to something else. Like his long gestating Fantastic Voyage remake WHICH I HAVE WAY MORE INTEREST IN.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1563 on: April 15, 2016, 08:53:54 AM »
There are so many better movies than Avatar that have gotten a lot of pointless and mediocre sequels.

Online hefdaddy42

• Et in Arcadia Ego
  • Global Moderator
  • Postwhore Emeritus
« Reply #1564 on: April 15, 2016, 08:59:27 AM »
Yeah, but how many were done by James Cameron?

He is a very talented filmmaker who could be making many different interesting films.  Instead, he is using all his time on Avatar.  I mean, I get it, it was a sensation and is the biggest money maker of all time.  But if this plan goes through and he spends this much time on Avatar, I just wonder what other good things we could have seen in that timespan.

I mean, he directed The Terminator, and Terminator 2, and Aliens, The Abyss, True Lies, and Titanic.  All of those films are better and more interesting, ultimately, than Avatar.  I would like to see what he could do with something else, without Avatar monopolizing all of his time.
Hef is right on all things. Except for when I disagree with him. In which case he's probably still right.

Offline bosk1

• King of Misdirection
  • Administrator
  • Bow down to Boskaryus
« Reply #1565 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:05 AM »
I'd rather he did a trilogy ( TOTAL ) then move on to something else. Like his long gestating Fantastic Voyage remake WHICH I HAVE WAY MORE INTEREST IN.

Aside from gratuitously giving Chino crap just because it's fun and he is an easy target for Avatar, who cares how many movies he makes if he has what he believes is a good, viable set of ideas to carry that many films?  If he has a story or stories for 4 more films, he should go for it.  Joking aside, there is a market for them, and there will continue to be as long as he does halfway decent stories.  I mean, for me personally, my interest level is that as long as I don't hear that they are bad, I will likely see pick them up for a weekend when they hit Redbox.  But just because that is my interest level doesn't mean I begrudge them being made.  Again, if Cameron feels like he has the stories, more power to him.

Plus, despite my personal relative indifference toward the films themselves, I think the Avatar concept and world could be really cool to have an area of Disney World themed upon, so to have Cameron fleshing out that world more at the same time Disney has their Avatar park in development should bode well for the park.
"The Supreme Court of the United States has descended from the disciplined legal reasoning of John Marshall and Joseph Story to the mystical aphorisms of the fortune cookie."

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1566 on: April 15, 2016, 09:04:06 AM »
I predict that the 4 sequels combined won't make what Avatar made. People will get less interested with each one. The 2nd one will probably make $1bn but after that . .

. . . law of diminishing returns.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1567 on: April 15, 2016, 09:05:22 AM »
And I don't think that Cameron is making them purely for the $$$. If he was - he'd have rushed out sequels years ago.

Offline BlackInk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #1568 on: April 15, 2016, 09:06:59 AM »
This news is infuriating as I don't want him to be remembered as that amazing director who had a colossal hit movie then saw dollar signs for the rest of his career.

Considering this is his world, how passionate he is about this, I'm pretty sure the thought wasn't "oh it made lots of money, now I must make more so that I can fill my bank account". I think it's rather "oh it made lots of money, now I can tell more stories about this thing I really want to tell more stories about". Which is completely fine with me.

(I was a bit ninja'd on that paragraph, but whatever)

I don't really love the first one, but I do really like it, and I don't understand the hate this is getting here. I'm looking forward to more Avatar.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1569 on: April 15, 2016, 09:39:31 AM »
He made titanic as he wanted to explore the wreck for himself.

Maybe he's doing this to fund his extra curricular interests.

Offline Chino

• DT.net Veteran
« Reply #1570 on: April 15, 2016, 10:56:05 AM »
I just don't see why things like Star Wars, Godzilla, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Transformers, Fast and Furious, Lord of the Rings, and the Hunger Games can have a half dozen films and still generate fan excitement, but when it comes to Avatar, the whole internet seems to do nothing but shit on the idea and crack smurf jokes. I'm not ragging on you guys, I'm just wondering why that is. Is it because the first movie made so much money? Sometimes I feel like if Avatar had only made $1.2B or so, it wouldn't get the default level of hate and dismissal that it does. I see so much more when I watch Avatar than the story, and it goes beyond just the pretty effects as well. Every plant, every creature, every geologic formation was intricately designed and thought out. It's beautiful. And the fact that it's all fake yet feels so real and believable is what draws me to it. One of the biggest gripes I have in the science fiction genre is how fake and bullshit a lot of the stuff is. Unbelievable worlds, aliens that would not have evolved to look the way they have given their environment, etc.. So much went into the movie, and sometimes I think the hype around the 3D technology shadowed a lot of that fact. People think it's just a CGI wank fest, and in all honesty, more was probably done from an acting and stunt perspective than a lot of live action movies out there. If you watch the bonus discs and see the blood and sweat that went into every little aspect of this movie, I can't see how you can't not at least appreciate it. There is so much potential for a truly incredible franchise, and I think you're all going to be pleasantly surprised.

Offline TioJorge

• Constantly Contorting
  • Ashes to ashes, fun to funky.
« Reply #1571 on: April 15, 2016, 10:57:21 AM »
I'm intrigued to say the least. My favorite part of the original was the world they built and explored. To be honest, the story is kind of secondary to me with movies like this anyway. Still don't get the extreme ends of the spectrums this movie brings out in people on either end. I'm just as puzzled by the apparent hernias and rage the movie induces as much as the blind love.

5 movies of Avatar does sound excessive but I'll wait to see how at least the next film sets up the last few films before denouncing them. If anything, it'll be a nice film to loom at, which is all I was interested in with the first film to begin with.

DTP says "WOW, LOOK AT THAT GREAT POST"
RIP DTP.

Offline Kotowboy

• Yes THAT Kotowboy.
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #1572 on: April 15, 2016, 11:03:17 AM »
I loved Avatar and roll my eyes at all the PocaSmurfAhontas with Wolves in SpaceGully jokes because if one film is like so many other films then surely those films are like each other too....

But 4 sequels sounds a lot.

If they're all going to be about jake / Neytiri / Grace Augustine / Quaritch.

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #1573 on: April 15, 2016, 11:08:00 AM »
I just don't see why things like Star Wars, Godzilla, Indiana Jones, Harry Potter, Transformers, Fast and Furious, Lord of the Rings, and the Hunger Games can have a half dozen films and still generate fan excitement, but when it comes to Avatar, the whole internet seems to do nothing but shit on the idea and crack smurf jokes.

Because most of these, and other big franchises, were much more fresh and interesting concepts to begin with (not all of them, but those also get shat on for churning out endless soulless bad movies), and resonated a lot more with audiences with their great characters and memorable, iconic elements. Despite its impressive box office, Avatar lacked that lasting cultural impact on audiences because beyond the facade of impressive CGI, there wasn't that much to latch onto once the initial wow factor wore off.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2016, 11:17:29 AM by BlobVanDam »
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Online Zantera

• Wolfman's brother
  • DTF.org Member
« Reply #1574 on: April 15, 2016, 11:15:37 AM »
Yeah I don't think interesting visuals is enough to carry any franchise. You need an interesting plot or likable characters and Avatar had neither IMO.