Author Topic: Doc's Roulette 4.0 Stock Shenanigans Round 1 results - Submit, buy and sell  (Read 5093 times)

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF's resident Mad Scientist
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • What's your favorite planet? Mine's the Sun!
Re: Doc's Roulette 4.0 Stock Shenanigans Send round 1 and buy your shares
« Reply #105 on: March 31, 2024, 07:51:00 PM »
Right, but you don't divvy out the payments until the very end of the round, no?  So if everyone buys stock in three players right now there will be no purchases after the playlist is revealed for the first round.  I don't know if this is what you're going for, because I'm wondering if it's better to hold back on a player purchase or two now and wait to instead invest in a specific song or two in lieu of that.

Think of it as buying on margin.  In hind sight I could have just let the purchases happen in the first round, but I didn't want the first round to turn into 40+ songs, thus just taking three shares

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #106 on: March 31, 2024, 08:02:23 PM »
Sent for all rounds :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #107 on: March 31, 2024, 09:10:55 PM »
Think of it as buying on margin.  In hind sight I could have just let the purchases happen in the first round, but I didn't want the first round to turn into 40+ songs, thus just taking three shares

Ah, ok. 

Online King Puppies and the Acid Guppies

• I find your lack of filtered water disturbing
  • DTF.org Member
  • Together we can rule the ocean as father and son
« Reply #108 on: March 31, 2024, 09:32:31 PM »
Y'all are going to be disappointed you didn't buy into my company  :corn
aka Puppies_On_Acid
Hey Stadler, your PM inbox is full.
Derek Sherinian probably stands 10 feet away from the urinal, shoots from downtown, and announces loudly that he's making history.
Quote from: TAC, definitely not King
Thes sng is are sounds rally nece an I lyke tha sungar

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #109 on: March 31, 2024, 11:20:14 PM »
Tastes:

I like everything from the softer side of prog like Big Big Train and Moon Safari to really heavy stuff like BTBAM and Dimmu Borgir.  My banned list are largely what I listen to, although at work I either listen to 70s-90s, country, or rap, depending on whose turn it is to control the music at work when its not my turn.

:tup

I'll send right after work today.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #110 on: March 31, 2024, 11:53:41 PM »
Generally I get the game mechanics and everything, the only thing I don't understand the logic behind is sending another song when shorting a submission to "prove" the band is trash. Pretty much any artist will have dud songs from earlier and/or later albums that are less good. I feel it would make more sense to require any such song to come from the same album. That would at least encourage us to send songs that are from a high quality album and not one-off hits.

Ariich is a freak, or somehow has more hours in the day than everyone else.
I be am boner inducing.

Offline jingle.boy

• I'm so ronery; so sad and ronery
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident deceased dictator
« Reply #111 on: April 01, 2024, 04:57:07 AM »
Sent for all rounds :corn

Maybe your ticker should be CROW.

Y'all are going to be disappointed you didn't buy into my company  :corn

Not as disappointed as the people who did buy in to mine!  :lol
That's a word salad - and take it from me, I know word salad
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Quote from: Puppies_On_Acid
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #112 on: April 01, 2024, 05:01:46 AM »
I'm looking forward to the shitstorm when people underperform the expectations of people who invested in their companies.  Particularly for anyone just picking their friends to start, how many friendships will this roulette cost when tanking shares start getting dumped?  :p

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #113 on: April 01, 2024, 05:03:00 AM »
Maybe your ticker should be CROW.

Not as disappointed as the people who did buy in to mine!  :lol

If you produce a Del Vichhio, I'm selling my shares in your company off mate.
Everyone else, except Wolfking is wrong.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #114 on: April 01, 2024, 05:19:15 AM »
If you produce a Del Vichhio, I'm selling my shares in your company off mate.

No chance in hell for this host.
I fear for the day when something happens on the right that is SO nuts that even Stadler says "That's crazy".
Remember the mark of a great vocalist is if TAC hates them with a special passion

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #115 on: April 01, 2024, 05:21:18 AM »
No chance in hell for this host.

Yet I get him??  :lol

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #116 on: April 01, 2024, 05:22:26 AM »
Generally I get the game mechanics and everything, the only thing I don't understand the logic behind is sending another song when shorting a submission to "prove" the band is trash. Pretty much any artist will have dud songs from earlier and/or later albums that are less good. I feel it would make more sense to require any such song to come from the same album. That would at least encourage us to send songs that are from a high quality album and not one-off hits.

I had been thinking about this too.  If DTVT doesn't make any changes it definitely could potentially shift the strategy for what sorts of bands to send.  DTVT is just a bit of a mystery box to me at this point, so picking the "trash" songs could be a challenge.  Based on my roulette if I'd run it this way I bet some would have been tempted to short Ghost, and that might have flopped. 

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #117 on: April 01, 2024, 07:02:16 AM »

You don’t have to send a song to short it, I just figured I’d give the same option as those buying stock in a song.  It kind of sucks when someone scoops a band you were going to send in a later round and uses a song that you don’t consider to be part of the bands top tier, so I wanted to give players that option.  Shorting is just part of the fun.  I can’t wait for someone to send a song from a band I previously dismissed, see a rush to short it, and end up liking the band.  Sometimes I just come across a band at the wrong time.  3 months ago I thought Caligula’s Horse was just run of the mill stuff.  Then I got the new album and In Contact an now I’m on board with them.

Offline Stadler

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Pointing out the "unfunny" since 2014!
« Reply #118 on: April 01, 2024, 07:08:19 AM »
My song will be coming later today.

My company name is the Stadler Hierarchical Applied Roulette Technology, LTD (Stock symbol: SHART)

And though I can't tell what companies have shares available, I'd like to invest in Litho, King Postwhore, and Lonk.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #119 on: April 01, 2024, 07:51:17 AM »
My song will be coming later today.

My company name is the Stadler Hierarchical Applied Roulette Technology, LTD (Stock symbol: SHART)

Pretty sure you have Unlimited SHART.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
Winger Theater Forums........or WTF.  ;D
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #120 on: April 01, 2024, 08:05:23 AM »
You don’t have to send a song to short it, I just figured I’d give the same option as those buying stock in a song.  It kind of sucks when someone scoops a band you were going to send in a later round and uses a song that you don’t consider to be part of the bands top tier, so I wanted to give players that option.  Shorting is just part of the fun.  I can’t wait for someone to send a song from a band I previously dismissed, see a rush to short it, and end up liking the band.  Sometimes I just come across a band at the wrong time.  3 months ago I thought Caligula’s Horse was just run of the mill stuff.  Then I got the new album and In Contact an now I’m on board with them.
Oh I totally get the idea, I just feel that the "shorting" song being anything from that artist and part of the submission (therefore presumably affecting the original sender's score - unless I've misunderstood?) would be pretty harsh, and disincentivise people from sending you stuff we think you'll like if that artist has other albums or even one-off songs we think you won't. It would only take one bad song from an entire discography. :lol

But maybe I'm over-interpreting how much it would affect the sender's score. Can't work out if this is me spotting a flaw in the incentives, or just doing a Litho.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2024, 09:14:41 AM by ariich »

I be am boner inducing.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #121 on: April 01, 2024, 09:07:04 AM »
I am so confused.
would have thought the same thing but seeing the OP was TAC i immediately thought Maiden or DT related
TAC got a higher score than me in the electronic round? Honestly, can I just drop out now? :lol

Online lonestar

• DTF Executive Chef
  • Official DTF Tour Guide
  • Silly Hatted Knife Chucker
« Reply #122 on: April 01, 2024, 09:17:29 AM »
I am so confused.

It's just a roulette man, not a vagina, don't stress over your ignorance...

Online Evermind

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #123 on: April 01, 2024, 12:05:05 PM »
Sent! Apologies for the delay.
This first band is Soen very cool swingy jazz fusion kinda stuff.

Offline LithoJazzoSphere

• DT.net Veteran
  • Placid Eruption
« Reply #124 on: April 01, 2024, 02:40:23 PM »
But maybe I'm over-interpreting how much it would affect the sender's score. Can't work out if this is me spotting a flaw in the incentives, or just doing a Litho.

Online ariich

• Roulette Supervillain
  • Global Moderator
  • sexin' you later
« Reply #125 on: April 01, 2024, 03:04:11 PM »
:lol

:heart

I be am boner inducing.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #126 on: April 01, 2024, 04:30:02 PM »
WTF is shorting?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #127 on: April 01, 2024, 04:37:34 PM »
Short selling involves borrowing a security whose price you think is going to fall and then selling it on the open market. You then buy the same stock back later, hopefully for a lower price than you initially sold it for, return the borrowed stock to your broker, and pocket the difference.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #128 on: April 01, 2024, 04:44:16 PM »
Short selling involves borrowing a security whose price you think is going to fall and then selling it on the open market. You then buy the same stock back later, hopefully for a lower price than you initially sold it for, return the borrowed stock to your broker, and pocket the difference.

That didn't help.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #129 on: April 01, 2024, 04:56:24 PM »

Oh yeah I understand that in relation to the market, but maybe I need to go back and read more about how that concept is going to work in this roulette.

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #130 on: April 01, 2024, 05:03:58 PM »
Oh yeah I understand that in relation to the market, but maybe I need to go back and read more about how that concept is going to work in this roulette.

When the list of songs is submitted for the round, you may invest in one or two songs you think will do well in the stack ranking (1 through 11), and you may short a song that you think will not do well.  Note that in order to buy invest in two songs, you must short one song.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #131 on: April 01, 2024, 05:06:43 PM »

That didn't help.

Let’s say I want to sell you the new DT album for $15. You think that’s a great deal because you think the classic DT lineup is going to be dope, so you agree. When the album drops, James still sounds like shit, and the album really costs $10. I buy the album for $10, deliver it to you, and make $5.

That’s the premise of short selling.  “Borrow” something you don’t own now and sell it when the price is high; actually buy it to repay who you borrowed it from later when the price is low. The ris is if the price goes up in the future, I lose money.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #132 on: April 01, 2024, 06:26:03 PM »
Let’s say I want to sell you the new DT album for $15. You think that’s a great deal because you think the classic DT lineup is going to be dope, so you agree. When the album drops, James still sounds like shit, and the album really costs $10. I buy the album for $10, deliver it to you, and make $5.

Why wouldn't I just buy it for $10 when you got yours?

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #133 on: April 01, 2024, 06:39:46 PM »
Cuz you already paid me $15 … when you thought it was going to be more expensive later.

It’s all about expectations and risk.  The premise is one of us thinks the ‘thing’ will appreciate in value; one of us thinks it will depreciate.

Online TAC

• DTF.org Alumni
  • Arthritic Metal Horns
« Reply #134 on: April 01, 2024, 06:46:35 PM »
Cuz you already paid me $15 … when you thought it was going to be more expensive later.

It’s all about expectations and risk.  The premise is one of us thinks the ‘thing’ will appreciate in value; one of us thinks it will depreciate.

But I didn't pay you. Where did you get it at $10? That's where I'd go to.

Offline jingle.boy

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #135 on: April 01, 2024, 06:48:11 PM »
If you do that, you’re paying $25 for two copies.

The premise is you already bought it from me for $15, before you knew the value would later be $10 from somewhere else.

Online wolfking

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #136 on: April 01, 2024, 07:07:52 PM »

But I didn't pay you. Where did you get it at $10? That's where I'd go to.

You thought you'd be getting it cheaper at $15, and the value of it would rise afterwards.  Like the stock market you expected that was a good offer and you were lowballing Chad, but it didn't go up as expected and in the current climate, you overpaid.

Offline Lonk

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #137 on: April 01, 2024, 07:11:49 PM »
This roulette will be more work than Puppies'
Vmadera has evolved into Lonk

Offline Dr. DTVT

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #138 on: April 01, 2024, 07:28:05 PM »
Alright - here is the first round submissions in random order:

Inno - Suffocate
Spiritbox - Too Close/Too Late
Almo - Hope
Need - Norchestron
Black Country Communion - Song of Yesterday
Coheed & Cambria - Key Entity Extraction I: Domino The Destitute
Arkona - Ugasaya
Nuclear Power Trio - Critical Bass Theory
Moron Police - Isn't It Easy
Brymir - Voices In The Sky
Coldbound - Skies Are Weeping

Here is the Spotify playlist for you: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1qJ8vEdXk2qaLyUn6XFM1v?si=9b8e4382a9c14144

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!  I hope to have results on Sunday.

Online King Postwhore

• Couch Potato
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Take that Beethoven, you deaf bastard!!
Tomorrow at work I'll crank the playlist. 
I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down'.” - Bob Newhart
So wait, we're spelling it wrong and king is spelling it right? What is going on here? :lol -- BlobVanDam
"Oh, I am definitely a jackass!" - TAC