Author Topic: The "Apple Inc." Thread iPad Mini  (Read 258610 times)

Offline tjanuranus

Re: The "Apple Inc." Thread WWDC 2012
« Reply #3115 on: August 06, 2012, 12:35:48 PM »
Remember, Macs can’t do real work, they’re only for useless artsy stuff like landing on Mars. https://t.co/1JWV5J6D

Offline BlobVanDam

• Future Boy
  • DTF.org Alumni
  • Transform and rock out!
« Reply #3116 on: August 06, 2012, 12:38:14 PM »
Considering how many people were in that room for different tasks, they could have been doing anything though. Get back to me when there's a shot of what's on the screen. For all we know, they were just watching the live feed. :lol
Only King could mis-spell a LETTER.
Yep. I think the only party in the MP/DT situation that hasn't moved on is DTF.

Offline Sigz

• BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD
  • DTF.org Member
  • THRONES FOR THE THRONE SKULL
« Reply #3117 on: August 06, 2012, 12:43:17 PM »
in b4 they were just making all the facebook/twitter postings.
The world is a stage, but the play is badly cast.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3118 on: August 06, 2012, 12:44:40 PM »
in b4 they were just making all the facebook/twitter postings.

Lol!

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3119 on: August 08, 2012, 12:16:58 AM »
https://upstart.bizjournals.com/news/technology/2012/08/07/apple-pulls-youtube-app-from-ios-6.html

Youtube will no longer be a pre installed app on iOS6

The rivalry between Apple (NASDAQ: APPL) and Google (NASDAQ: GOOG) has been getting progressively worse for a while, but now it is getting ugly.

Apple pulled the built-in YouTube app from its new version of iOS 6, the software that runs the newest versions of the iPhone and iPad set to release this fall. On Monday, Apple released a test version of iOS 6 to a select group of developers, and they quickly realized the YouTube app was not pre-installed.

The YouTube app has been built into Apple mobile products since 2007—why change now? Apple’s official response to The New York Times:

Our license to include the YouTube app in iOS has ended. Customers can use YouTube in the Safari browser and Google is working on a new YouTube app to be on the App Store.
AllThingsD promptly pointed out because anyone can create an YouTube app using YouTube’s API so Apple's response is ominous at best :

So something’s broken here: Either Apple really doesn’t want to make its own version of a YouTube app, or Google really doesn’t want Apple to make one.
The relationship between Apple and YouTube parent company Google has deteriorated since the YouTube partnership with the iPhone began in 2007. Google launched Android, Steve Jobs threatened everything up to “thermonuclear war” to destroy it, and Apple confirmed the replacement of Google Maps with its own maps app for the upcoming iOS6.

Though the souring relationship undoubtedly had a role to play, a source — an industry executive who works with both Apple and Google— told AllThingsD YouTube seeks more control over how its app is used and over the ability to show ads through the app:

YouTube [has] decided they didn’t want third-parties building apps,” says my source. “Their strategy has changed. They want to control their destiny more.”
Without the YouTube app built in, iPhone and iPad users desiring an app to access YouTube video content will have to download the HTML web app Google released in 2010 or download the VEVO app. Both are powered by Google.
May The Force Be With You.

Offline Implode

• Lord of the Squids
  • DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3120 on: August 08, 2012, 07:36:10 AM »
Not that this is a huge deal...but somehow now I feel like a Google phone might do better than an iPhone if they made one.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3121 on: August 08, 2012, 08:15:01 AM »
Considering how many people were in that room for different tasks, they could have been doing anything though. Get back to me when there's a shot of what's on the screen. For all we know, they were just watching the live feed. :lol

Since OSX is pure unix, they probably had 14 command prompts open. There's a nice Kernal underneath all the shiny stuff on top.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3122 on: August 08, 2012, 10:09:17 AM »
Not that this is a huge deal...but somehow now I feel like a Google phone might do better than an iPhone if they made one.

Google made a phone already.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3123 on: August 08, 2012, 10:10:13 AM »
So Conan got into the Samsun vs Apple Debate. I remember a while way back he made a video mocking apple a bit. Nice to see he always calls it like he sees it.
https://youtu.be/YciM_54HzZk

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3124 on: August 08, 2012, 11:16:28 AM »
The lawsuits on all sides are complete bull. All companies take good ideas from every other company, they should just admit that and move on.
"For a successful technology, reality must take precedence over public relations, for nature cannot be fooled." - Richard Feynman

Offline TL

« Reply #3125 on: August 08, 2012, 04:09:08 PM »
To quote Steve Jobs quoting Picasso; "Good artists copy, great artists steal".

Offline chknptpie

• DTF.org Member
« Reply #3126 on: August 08, 2012, 05:05:03 PM »
The lawsuits on all sides are complete bull. All companies take good ideas from every other company, they should just admit that and move on.
Companies make millions of dollars on IP suits, I don't think they could afford to just move on.

Offline XJDenton

• What a shame
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3127 on: August 08, 2012, 06:29:25 PM »
I'd be willing to guess that on average, each company is suing each other enough that any wins are offset by the losses.

Offline Cable

« Reply #3128 on: August 08, 2012, 06:38:34 PM »
What if it has a battery comparable to the droid razr  max? That's more of a selling point to me than the screen size.
To be perfectly honest, I don't have many issues with the battery. It lasts me the entire day for the most part. Could it be better, yeah, but if iPhone 5 has better battery life, it won't hurt my feelings.

You iPhone users are spoiled speaking of even better battery life. Us Android users can have our phone screen turned off, and believe nothing is running in the background; three hours later, 40% of the battery GONE!
---

Offline theseoafs

• When the lights go down in the city, and the sun shines on the bayyyyy
  • Hello! My name is Elder Price
« Reply #3129 on: August 08, 2012, 06:43:47 PM »

Since OSX is pure unix, they probably had 14 command prompts open. There's a nice Kernal underneath all the shiny stuff on top.

Oh, yes.  For me, as a comp sci student, OSX's Unix architecture and terminal alone make it better and far more useful than any Windows OS.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 06:51:51 PM by theseoafs »

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3130 on: August 09, 2012, 04:41:12 AM »
any of you Apple people out there know a good way to host an iWeb site for free?

Offline TL

« Reply #3131 on: August 09, 2012, 09:48:20 AM »
What if it has a battery comparable to the droid razr  max? That's more of a selling point to me than the screen size.
To be perfectly honest, I don't have many issues with the battery. It lasts me the entire day for the most part. Could it be better, yeah, but if iPhone 5 has better battery life, it won't hurt my feelings.

You iPhone users are spoiled speaking of even better battery life. Us Android users can have our phone screen turned off, and believe nothing is running in the background; three hours later, 40% of the battery GONE!
Except that there are a ton of different phones and tablets that use the Android OS, so all that means is that the specific phone you own is shitty. There are many Android devices that have great battery life.

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3132 on: August 09, 2012, 11:35:58 AM »

The Droid Razr Maxx has like 22 hours of talk time and 15 days of stand by. That's pretty impressive in my books.

Except that there are a ton of different phones and tablets that use the Android OS, so all that means is that the specific phone you own is shitty. There are many Android devices that have great battery life.

Offline Cable

« Reply #3133 on: August 09, 2012, 07:58:20 PM »

I have used three different Android devices, two were mine day in, day out. Crappy battery life across all three. It is the nature of the OS I think.
---

Offline TL

« Reply #3134 on: August 10, 2012, 05:32:20 PM »

I have used three different Android devices, two were mine day in, day out. Crappy battery life across all three. It is the nature of the OS I think.
No. I know plenty of people who use Android devices, and they've all had good experiences as far as battery life goes. You've just had bad luck.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3135 on: August 12, 2012, 08:36:32 PM »
So after seeing the parts of this iPhone show up in many different areas it seems as it's pretty much a given that the two tone, liquid metal 6th generation iPhone will look like this. I'm kind of excited because this look has really grown on me, especially the black, and my contract expires in October. I'm an iPhone loyalist and always will be, so the question I have now is, Black or White?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
  • şağ besta sem guğ hefur skapağ er nır dagur
« Reply #3136 on: August 13, 2012, 12:20:05 AM »
ARe you a girl? If no, black.

You and me go parallel, together and apart

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3137 on: August 13, 2012, 12:27:12 AM »
wat

I like the white one :(

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3138 on: August 13, 2012, 12:31:12 AM »
I don't know. It looks so womanly.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3139 on: August 13, 2012, 03:11:25 AM »
I'm leaning towards black, mostly due to the black around the edges. the reason I didn't get a black 4 was because I didn't like the contrast of the brighter aluminum around the edges vs. the black. I personally really dig the white phone, although it is somewhat womanly, guys can have the phone for sure! I know as many guys with the white one as I do girls. But for me I'm leaning towards black mostly due to the continuity it has being all black.

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3140 on: August 13, 2012, 03:15:02 AM »
I don't know a single guy with a white iphone.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3141 on: August 13, 2012, 03:24:05 AM »
They're all married?

Offline kári

• Meow
  • DTF.com Member
« Reply #3142 on: August 13, 2012, 04:07:23 AM »
:lol

Offline Chino

• Be excellent to each other.
  • DT.net Veteran
« Reply #3143 on: August 13, 2012, 06:55:48 AM »
I don't know a single guy with a white iphone.

I have a white iPad.

Offline Xanthul

« Reply #3144 on: August 13, 2012, 07:40:41 AM »
Me too, I bought it for my wife but I preferred the white one.

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3145 on: August 13, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »
I had all black iphones until the 4s. I love the white 4s! The white really looks slick.

Offline YtseCullen

• DTF.org Alumni
  • DTF's resident Jedi.
« Reply #3146 on: August 13, 2012, 02:20:26 PM »
I have the white iPhone 4, maybe it's more of a teenager thing but a lot of guys I know have iPhones and its pretty even between black and white. I really love the look of the white iPhone 4, but the black sixth generation one looks really, really nice.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3147 on: August 13, 2012, 02:27:02 PM »
I'm surprised they're changing the aspect ratio (if this is legit).  At least with the upgrade to the Retina Display, it was only a matter of pixel density.  Having black bars on the bottom and top of every legacy app doesn't seem like an Apple design.

I haven't seen any tech site mention this at all.  Is this really not an issue for anyone else?

Offline tjanuranus

« Reply #3148 on: August 13, 2012, 02:55:53 PM »
check this out...

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/08/07/ios-6-automatically-scales-to-fit-taller-1136x640-iphone-display/

iOS 6 Automatically Scales to Fit Taller 1136x640 iPhone Display

9to5Mac reports that it has discovered through some testing with Apple's official iOS simulator that iOS 6 is capable of automatically scaling its home screen display to fit a taller 1136x640 display, compared to the current 960x640 display. Numerous rumors and part leaks have indicated that Apple will be including a taller display on the next-generation iPhone to be introduced next month.
Thanks to some tweaks to the iOS Simulator application that is included in the iOS development tools, we were able to run the simulator at the rumored next-generation iPhone display resolution of 640 x 1136. We did this running both the current public release of iOS 5.1 and the upcoming iOS 6.0 The iOS 5.1 simulator displayed the home screen with a stretched set of four rows of icons. On the other hand, iOS 6 displayed five complete rows – as our sources said Apple was testing for taller iPhone displays.

iOS simulator at 1136x640 with five rows of icons under iOS 6 and four rows under iOS 5.1

Notably, setting the iOS simulator to resolutions other than 1136x640 does not result in automatic scaling, with the software instead simply defaulting to an "iPad-like home screen layout" different from what is seen for the iPhone. The observation suggests that there is something special about that 1136x640 resolution that suggests Apple has at least been working on an iOS 6 device supporting that screen size.

Offline Fiery Winds

• DTF.org Alumni
« Reply #3149 on: August 13, 2012, 03:50:15 PM »
That's fine for the home screen, but how will it handle apps?  Three scenarios I can think of:

1) Black bars on top and bottom
2) Stretched to fit (can affect usability for certain apps, and looks bad)
3) Re-code apps